Home

It's the "little things."

This is a discussion on It's the "little things." within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2004, 10:24 PM   #41
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: It's the "little things."

After playing both, I gotta agree. Madden is much improved this year, but the little things in ESPN that me make actually feel like I'm playing a Chargers-Raiders game or a Bengals-Browns games. In madden, every game feels the same, just with different uniforms.

Also, in my ESPN Chargers franchise, I was playing against the Broncos. Before the game, the commentators mentioned how difficult it would be for me to win Mile High Stadium. With 1 min left in the game, I was down by 7 and was driving with Rivers and co. I was unstoppable. Then I get in the redzone, throw a pic that's returned for a TD and lose by 13 (no time or need to kick pat). Afterwards, the commentators returned to saying the crowd ultimately ruffled the rookie QB into making a critical mistake, and as they were talking, they were showing different parts of the stadium, including the Bronco statue. How cool is that man. madden doesn't have anything like that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2004, 12:08 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 0

I made the horrible, horrible mistake of trading in ESPN for madden yesterday. Well, madden is going back tomorrow morning. Please forgive me ESPN! For I will never cheat on you again!
Old 08-12-2004, 12:35 AM   #43
Pro

OVR: 6

Totally agree with this post. I think everyone's caught up in Madden because some writers write that gameplay is supreme. Mark my words..in 3 weeks, after the bugs come out, ESPN will reign supreme. The NY skyline was awesome. So are cheerleaders and fans wearing coats during rain. So is thunder and lightning. Want gameplay? The animations are unreal. It looks so much like football. You can see holes opening when running. The passing is outstanding. You want less tipped passes? Hit the black button to go for the interception. IT works. There ain't nothing wrong with this game!!
Old 08-12-2004, 12:44 AM   #44
All Star

RGmoney's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayPixel
I made the horrible, horrible mistake of trading in ESPN for madden yesterday. Well, madden is going back tomorrow morning. Please forgive me ESPN! For I will never cheat on you again!
ROFL...Welcome back to the family man...
Old 08-12-2004, 12:55 AM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 0

I got caught up in all of the Madden hype. You see, I'm a big fan of the franchise mode. I must say that Madden's franchise mode is simply amazing, but then I had to think to myself, "What's the point?" How can I enjoy a franchise mode when the actual game makes me want to bash my head against the wall. Madden is so stale. I think I may have fallen asleep during one of my games. After 3 solid weeks with ESPN playing madden is like watching paint dry. It's horrible!

I can deal with ESPN's very basic franchise. (turning of weekly prep and pre-season does seem to fix the crazy trades.) I can deal with my DB's occasionally looking like ******s and spinning around in circles for an interception. This has only happened to me a few times, and hey, DB's screw up IRL also.

I miss playing a game that actually feels like football. Madden just doesnt feel like I'm actually playing on a sunday afternoon. (If that makes any sense) Hell, I have to play 16 or so games each season. I dont care how great the franchise mode is when I can barely get through one game without wanting to go do something else.

I just wish I still had my original copy of ESPN and didnt have to get a new one. I actually feel bad for trading it in! I want to give it a big hug and say that I'm sorry.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2004, 01:16 AM   #46
Pro

OVR: 8

Shame on you guys for selling them! Those poor little animated dudes gave you nothing but love and you turned them into bastards. Well I hope they find good homes sitting there in the bargain bin.

Old 08-12-2004, 03:46 AM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 1

The biggest kick I get out of the game is online League, Season, and Tournament play. I know this is a sore spot for some, but I have to mention this.

I cannot begin to describe the tention I feel after each play against an opponent knowing one wrong hit or crushing blow could take a key player out the game. Not only that but the injury continues throughout the season league or tournament depending on its severity. After the injury the amount of adjustments you have to make in your gameplay is nerve racking. I watched Rice return to the game with a broken finger, but the number of passes he dropped and the commentary advising how he returned to the side lines to have it retapped was beautiful!!!!!

On another note the stat tracking is just SICK!!!! Using that information with my opponents "Play-by-Play" from their previous games to gameplan against them is fantastic. I was never one to follow football so closely, but ESPN has taught me the finer points of playing football in more ways than one. And don't get me started on game planing against upcoming opponent's VIP let alone studying my own for weaknesses.

I could only hope all the Madden hype by various media outlets will stop so people can make a fair assesment of what ESPN truly offers, so sports games can continue to be advanced as opposed to held back by big budget marketing and advertising dollars.

I'm glad to see that many of you, on what is IMHO a Madden / EA centered sports page, have given VC a chance and played their game. This thread and many of your responses are also part of the "Little things" that make ESPN The Best Football Game on the market.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:28 AM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 1

1. VIP is uncanny--I assigned my own 32-game VIP to the Colts (who I used it on most entire year in franchise 13-3, SB Champs) and played against it using the Niners. I beat the CPU (difficulty modifier 1.62), but only because I was SO familiar with the Colts offensive playbook, and what plays I like to call! It even simulated how long I took to break the huddle (20-25 seconds), and how long before I snapped the ball (usually with less than 5-7 seconds left).

2. Love the way my receivers adjust to where I put the ball with Maximum Passing. And the subtlety in where you can put the ball is out of this world. I managed to rifle a pass into my slot receiver running a streak against a man, two-deep. The safety was over the top and inside, a DB slightly wide to the outside, and a LB underneath. I zipped the ball slightly behind and to the outside of my receiver--the receiver first tracked the ball inside, and as the ball was on it's way, he started tracking the ball outside, and slowed just slightly as the ball hits around his hips. Less than a quarter of a second later, he's tackled by all three defenders!

From experience (nearly 70 hours on my VIP), he would have never made the catch if I didn't use Maximum Passing, simply because of the tight coverage, and he would have been hit by the safety if the pass was to the inside. I'm still amazed at the variety of catch animations depending on where you put the ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »