Home

One Day and Back to ESPN Football

This is a discussion on One Day and Back to ESPN Football within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2004, 10:12 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: One Day and Back to ESPN Football

I'm an ESPN guy, still.

What is the one thing that we always tell Madden lovers about ESPN when they first fire it up? We tell them to give it time. Okay, why don't you all that hate it right off practice what you preach?

Madden and ESPN are two totally different games. I have Madden and am enjoying it. One that that's be required of myself is to get out of ESPN Mode when playing Madden. Of course ESPN has teh better running game but when I play Madden, I just have to adjust to Madden's running game. This is probably the best Madden ever. I'm going to enjoy it. The franchise is great and i'm sure has less wackiness than ESPN. I do miss a lot of things that are in ESPN but based on the franchise alone, I'm going to play Madden for that.

Currently Listening: The D.O.C.: No One Can Do It Better (evidence that rap music used to be good!)
Old 08-12-2004, 10:28 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 4

i understand what somiss is saying but...on the other hand..the gameplay makes me not want to play madden at all!!!! it's not realistic at all....i can't stand it..just playing in frnachise n not doing the onfield it makes no sense!!! that's why madden will stay it's crummy behind out of my system!!
Old 08-12-2004, 10:32 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

If you read the above posts, I think that you will find that many of us did "give it time" as well as significant money over the years, and standing in line for the game etc . . .

I don't "owe" EA anything. I have been a LOYAL customer over the past ten years. EA is simply trying to squeeze more "blood" out of a old and graphically challenged, antiquated game engine.

Also, as an XBox owner, I also take offense to EA simply "porting over" Madden from the PS2 every year. For the amount of money that EA makes off of Madden, XBox owners deserve better.

I'm climbing off of my soap box now . . .

Ohio State Buckeyes
Kansas City Chiefs
Los Angeles Lakers
Cincinnati Reds

"Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice." - Ted Knight (Judge Smails) in Caddyshack.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2004, 10:43 AM   #12
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMiss2000
I'm an ESPN guy, still.

What is the one thing that we always tell Madden lovers about ESPN when they first fire it up? We tell them to give it time. Okay, why don't you all that hate it right off practice what you preach?.
exactly.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:47 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMiss2000
I'm an ESPN guy, still.

What is the one thing that we always tell Madden lovers about ESPN when they first fire it up? We tell them to give it time. Okay, why don't you all that hate it right off practice what you preach?

Madden and ESPN are two totally different games. I have Madden and am enjoying it. One that that's be required of myself is to get out of ESPN Mode when playing Madden. Of course ESPN has teh better running game but when I play Madden, I just have to adjust to Madden's running game. This is probably the best Madden ever. I'm going to enjoy it. The franchise is great and i'm sure has less wackiness than ESPN. I do miss a lot of things that are in ESPN but based on the franchise alone, I'm going to play Madden for that.
I understand what you are saying and respect that. I posted the following comment in this thread here:
It's the "little things."

I think it serves its purpose in this one two:

"I could only hope all the Madden hype by various media outlets will stop so people can make a fair assessment of what ESPN truly offers, so sports games can continue to be advanced as opposed to held back by big budget marketing and advertising dollars.

I'm glad to see that many of you, on what is IMHO a Madden / EA centered sports page, have given VC a chance and played their game. This thread and many of your responses are also part of the "Little things" that make ESPN The Best Football Game on the market."
Old 08-12-2004, 10:49 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 13

I fully agree with the topic poster. Madden seems to be going the way of arcade-simulation. I can't believe how easy it is to pass on all-pro and how the running game is more of a matter of picking the right run play at the right time.

When I throw passes to Randy Moss in ESPN, as cheap as Moss can be, I still feel like I earned it because I had to throw the pass in the right direction and make sure he was in good position. In Madden, when a throw a pass to Moss or whomever, I feel as though I didn't earn anything because all I pretty much had to do was press a button. It's almost as if ESPN is an action game such as Metal Gear and Madden is an RPG such as Final Fantasy.

Madden does have a few things over ESPN however, Madden's roster menus and menus in general are a lot better. Madden's roster management also is better in that you can change any players position (is this in ESPN?). I also like Maddens ratings (not the actual rating system, but player's overall ratings) as ESPN has many underrated many players, as well as overrated players. I hope that the Roster update will fix that, but in the past VC, when it comes to rating changes, has been skimpy.

And lastly the franchise mode far exceeds that of ESPN's. VC needs to put some time into fixing their franchise mode because if they can get their franchise mode to be up to par with Madden or even better, ESPN would be the ultimate football game.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:50 AM   #15
Erv
MVP

OVR: 10

Smells like a hypocrite.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2004, 10:59 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 4

Reading these posts makes me think I got some alien copy of ESPN 2k5 that I was playing for two weeks and couldnt take all the unrealistic arcadey bullsh** that was going on in the game. Maybe I got some flawed copy. I went 10-0 on Legend with the Eagles basically dropping back throwing bombs to Owens when he was triple covered half the time and the games just feels so cheap. Madden to me is way way way way more realistic. But I respect your opinions. I just dont understand.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »