Home

Is it just me, or is the hurry up offense flawed?

This is a discussion on Is it just me, or is the hurry up offense flawed? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2004, 04:33 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Is it just me, or is the hurry up offense flawed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Interesting....
That is my recollection anyway... that the differences between the last play I called and the play I 'hurry-up' into seemed to have big role in how long it took for my guys to get set and the QB to stop looking around.

However, I just noticed it last night, and didn't test it fully. It could have been my imagination.

I had a few beers watching the Ravens' preseason game, so that could explain it too.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:43 PM   #18
Rookie

Darth Dorn's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnwood
OK, here is the only reason why it is flawed. The QB should be amoung the first who is ready. Instead the 4th quarter game clock is winding down 4...3...2...1 and my QB is still standing there looking around like he's clueless while everyone is set and I'm sitting there mashing away at the hurry up button, then game over. I lose because I can't spike the ball in time.

It's flawed.
This is exactly what I'm seeing. When the play is to spike the ball, the QB should run up there and get behind the center right away. Once everyone is set, the ball is snapped and it's spiked, stopping the clock. There is absolutely no need for the QB to look at the defense and see how they're setting up, only to spike the ball. Spiking the ball is a clock play, to stop the clock in a critical situation when you have no timeouts left. You want to stop the clock as fast as possible, but because the QB looks around at the line, this doesn't happen.

I have yet to run a hurry up offense where I'm using audibles and the like, so I can't comment on that one.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:03 PM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Dorn
This is exactly what I'm seeing. When the play is to spike the ball, the QB should run up there and get behind the center right away. Once everyone is set, the ball is snapped and it's spiked, stopping the clock. There is absolutely no need for the QB to look at the defense and see how they're setting up, only to spike the ball. Spiking the ball is a clock play, to stop the clock in a critical situation when you have no timeouts left. You want to stop the clock as fast as possible, but because the QB looks around at the line, this doesn't happen.

I have yet to run a hurry up offense where I'm using audibles and the like, so I can't comment on that one.
I play hurry up offense all the time -- it's great when you're playing against a friend 1 vs. 1 and puts an inflexible formation on the field. My friend went dime when I was facing 3rd & 10 -- I was behind (I was the Bengals, he was the Pats) by 7 in the mid-4th quarter. So I put up my pro package and passed out of it against his dime (pretty difficult), but managed to connect with an open WR for the 1st down. I then continued to run the ball off of the hurry-up so while he was forced to keep his nickel & dimebacks on the field. 60 yards later he was forced to burn a timeout when I had a 3rd & 1 on his 9 yard line.

Long story short, running the hurry-up helped me comeback to win 20-17 in OT.

Anyway, from using it so much, I feel it's fairly realistic. In the real NFL, it takes a LONG time to set up for a new play, even using the hurry-up -- and the reason the QB is looking around to make sure the receivers are set before he snaps the ball. IMO, there are far greater gripes about the gameplay than the hurry-up.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:08 PM   #20
Rookie

Darth Dorn's Arena

Ok, do one thing for me. Throw out all of the talk about running a hurry up offense where you're running an actual play. That's not what I'm talking about here.

I'm talking about where you spike the ball after a first down to stop the clock. With 3 seconds left in the game, your QB should not get to the line last, then look around and everyone, then snap the ball when it's too late. The ball should be snapped right when he gets to the line, and no later. You want to stop the clock as quick as possible, but by looking around at everyone, he's not doing this. This absolutely needs to be fixed.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:23 PM   #21
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

people need to remember they're playing a video game. the only thing wrong with the hurry up offense is that they don't have it set to show all the players picking themselves up off the ground and running what could be 40 yards to the new LOS. what should be important in terms of the hurry up is the elapsed time rather than the actual visual... and since time is your complaint i think this is valid.

it takes MUCH longer to run the hurry up and spike in the NFL than it does in the game. so complaining abut losing 3 secs while the qb looks around is kind of silly. if you have the time to get back to the LOS and only are losing 3 secs while the QB looks around then you're actually geting much farther than any real NFL team would be. i would say the hurry up is flawed (and always have been in all games) because it's much easier to score in 2 minutes b/c of the lack of real time elapsing... your complaint is the exact opposite b/c you're focusing on the visual which isn't important.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2004, 11:27 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossen
No. You lose because you didn't run your two minute offense effectively.

It takes as long as it takes. Plan for that.
While I do appreciate anyone's opinion I don't appreciate being quoted out of context for the sake of someone's own argument then twisted around to mean something else than originally intended.

My point has nothing to do with running an effective 2 minute offense. My point only has something to do with the mildly excessive stardown of the field when it is unnecessary when you only want to spike the ball.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:33 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
people need to remember they're playing a video game. the only thing wrong with the hurry up offense is that they don't have it set to show all the players picking themselves up off the ground and running what could be 40 yards to the new LOS. what should be important in terms of the hurry up is the elapsed time rather than the actual visual... and since time is your complaint i think this is valid.
I don't think anyone forgets they are playing a video game. What if it isn't '40 yards to the new LOS'. What if it's only 1 yard? What then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
it takes MUCH longer to run the hurry up and spike in the NFL than it does in the game. so complaining abut losing 3 secs while the qb looks around is kind of silly. if you have the time to get back to the LOS and only are losing 3 secs while the QB looks around then you're actually geting much farther than any real NFL team would be. i would say the hurry up is flawed (and always have been in all games) because it's much easier to score in 2 minutes b/c of the lack of real time elapsing... your complaint is the exact opposite b/c you're focusing on the visual which isn't important.
Yes, I agree it does take longer, in real life, however these football game correspond to the real life 15 minute quarter pretty good. If it was only 3 seconds for the QB to do his survey of the field there wouldn't be much of a discussion here but in my opinion he does take too much time looking around. It's as if he has no awareness of the actual game and/or play clock.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »