Home

Improving the screen pass

This is a discussion on Improving the screen pass within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2004, 09:34 PM   #17
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Improving the screen pass

I noticed that when you throw it to Backs with good route running abilites they put themselves in better position to catch them more...I noticed this in an online game with the skins and was able to get 3 screens with portis then i played as the bengals with Rud J and had no luck with it at all.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 08-17-2004, 11:40 PM   #18
Erv
MVP

OVR: 10

The only way to not get that animation is to lob the ball, but if it's off your giving the other team 7 pts. Pissed me off that Sega took shortcuts with things that were too effective last year. Instead of finding the root of the problem and tweaking it, they just make the return coverage and screen plays run completely wrong.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:46 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 9
Angry Re: Improving the screen pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kMatrtixevolved
Maybe Implaying a different game. This year the screen pass is worthless. The runner just stops and takes 5 seconds to turn around. Its just doesnt have a smooth flow to it...maybe I just need to practice it. Shouldnt be that hard to do a play that you have been doing in games for years now.
I'm with you matrix. 2k4's screen pass was actually fun and effective. Now, since 2k5 changed it, I am forced to just keep scrolling right past it. I HATE IT when my RB just stops running!! ARRRGGGHH!!!!
Old 08-18-2004, 11:49 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 18

its not the rb

the lb or db pursuit is increased when ever the pass is thrown, that is why you usually get nada with a s/p
Old 08-18-2004, 11:55 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 17

Though I don't think it has ever worked great I have had one good one for 50+ yards. That was only once most of the time my rb drops it or gets tackled for a loss. For some reason the momentum system doesnt apply to the d linemen, they can turn on a dime.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2004, 11:58 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 18

there's not that much momentum to begin with, so...
Old 08-18-2004, 12:49 PM   #23
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

OVR: 7
Post Re: Improving the screen pass

i am not lying or exxagerating in the post that is like a page above this, in this thread.

the screen is totally possible and like i said probably successful 50% of the time if u have the timing down , which is pretty good odds for a "trick" football play to work.

like I said it is all about timing , the play i used was in the Cowboys book , out of a formation called triple or something(whatever its called it is one of the basic cowboys formations and has one running back in the backfield and is a screen pass)

all you have to do is time it perfectly so that you release the ball (medium throw = not a lob or bullet) just at the time the running back is about to stop and turn to the qb - this is determined mainly just by timing it(do a few in scrimmage before u try it in a game)
what happens is that is the key time where the blockers are out and set up , and the running back hasn't turned and stopped yet and he is either turning as the ball arrives for a seamless catch and run upfield or he was just about to turn and just happens to be in great postition at that time.

scroll up and read the post for more details like how to avoid the defensive line from being too close as your back catches it.

Im not lying tho - it works - it isn't some flaw and its not necessary to throw a super lob or anything- it is just hard to get the timing right by instinct because you have to get the ball before he completely stops but after the blockers get out to their lane.

The 60 yard td i had was almost no fair - as i caught it i followed teh blocks slightly and all the blockers vacuumed to a man to give me free sailing for 5yards or so and after one right stick move - he could .... go .... alll! .... the! .... WAYYYYY!!!!

Last edited by MartinDihigo; 08-18-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:51 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 3

I played around with screen passes for 2 hours last night using the tips MD gave and I still think it should be easier than this. IMO, Madden 2004 had screens down better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »