Home

3-4 defense: playbooks and strategy?

This is a discussion on 3-4 defense: playbooks and strategy? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2004, 09:40 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
3-4 defense: playbooks and strategy?

so, which stock playbook are you using with the 3-4 defense? i play as the 49ers and am currently using the patriots' playbook. i'm not sure i really like it though after 4 games played...

also, any strategies with the 3-4?

i blitz at least one linebacker on every play, basically treating it as a 4-3. it's a little better since it's harder for the offense to see where the 4th man is gonna be coming from.

PS. if you're using the niners + 3-4 D, you will want to move bryant young from RTD to LDT so he can play nose tackle. sadly you cannot put jamie winborn as the other ILB on the depth chart. you will have to manually sub him in the formation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: 3-4 defense: playbooks and strategy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEX
so, which stock playbook are you using with the 3-4 defense? i play as the 49ers and am currently using the patriots' playbook. i'm not sure i really like it though after 4 games played...

also, any strategies with the 3-4?

i blitz at least one linebacker on every play, basically treating it as a 4-3. it's a little better since it's harder for the offense to see where the 4th man is gonna be coming from.

PS. if you're using the niners + 3-4 D, you will want to move bryant young from RTD to LDT so he can play nose tackle. sadly you cannot put jamie winborn as the other ILB on the depth chart. you will have to manually sub him in the formation.

cool , yea i am a big time 3-4 user , and i have been messing with some of the books that have both 34 and 43 (Jet/boys/raider),

theres a couple of main ways that i use th3 34 depending on my players , my mood, the team i go against and all those factors...

some people use a rusher every time , called the rushEnd Linebacker , he is usually the Outside linebacer on your defense's right side. IF i do this , I make sure to put in a pass rushing beast at that position if possible , and i will cause havoc with him most of the time. That D is like the 4-3 except your guy (the rush end) isn't a cheeser if he moves around or even drops back even tho he usually rushes..

or if you go to more of a flexiblle amoeba like balanced 3-4 - where the 4 linebackers are more balanced , you probably want to put in some LBs that can cover and maybe even a safety/linebacker hybrid (for example troy polamalu) as the 4th linebacker, you can call more man-to-man with this and the blitz is a little less predictable , altho less concentrated.

Real 3-4s take advantage of occasionally blitzing safetys or even corners , they are always talking about "blitz packages" when talking about a 3-4 defense coach...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »