Home

The Chronicles Of Rickster101

This is a discussion on The Chronicles Of Rickster101 within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2004, 06:56 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: The Chronicles Of Rickster101

Just got home from work.I think since I edited QB's that's the only offensive player I'm going to edit,but I'm going to take the LB'S. down a notch on their coverage rating only since I've already lowered their jump to 40 and all the other ratings on individual LB's keep the running game in check, although I'm getting good running stats with the default ratings and Ricksters sliders.What I notice in these cpu/cpu games is that even a 100 rated QB like Manning still makes mistakes which is very good since I don't want him invincible but since the game is hard coded IMO to the defensive side as far as Int goes we need to adjust these guys to a workable level.I'm going to take the DB'S and drop their coverage even more but I'll drop it as a % of what their coverage rating is at this time so CB'S like Champ are still better in all ratings and his coverage rating will be higher than say a nickel back.Since I've dropped these DB's jump ratings and coverage ratings I'm seeing passes defended at times but the majority of the picks are coming from the LB's jumping in front of a throw and not always from a D-back.Heck I even had a JAX DE intercept Bledsoe by jumping up and snaring a short pass to a back which I thought was great since I haven't ever seen that so I won't mess with the D-line or WR at this time.It's getting closer but I need to get a right mix so the defense isn't at a disadvantage yet the offense can make an 80 yard drive to win the game at times.My average int right now is around 4 per game and approx 6% of all pass attempts.I realize the more passes you throw the more chance to be picked as it should be.I'm tweaking more tonight so I'll keep you posted when I can make a fair judgement.The only problem is that the offensive ratings of these teams are in the high 80's to 90's and yet their defense is around 60 to 70.I guess thats not as big a deal since this game leans toward the defense.I'll be back.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:49 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 4

I've also spent some time editing player ratings. I think I've got passing about where I want it. Completion percentages in the mid- to upper- 50s. Interceptions: 7 in 199 pass attempts. Next, I'd like to improve the rushing stats. I'm averaging between 3 and 4 yards per carry. I'd like to get this up to 4 to 5 yards per carry. I've increased offensive Run Blocking quite a bit. I've also decreased defensive Run Coverage somewhat. Still, it's not enough. What else should I do? Decrease the Tackling rating? What has worked for some of you?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:14 PM   #35
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

A word of caution if I may, I understand that editing rosters may seem to be the only recourse at this time and normally I would recommend such radical changes but there is the danger of augmenting your rosters to a point where they become somewhat erratic when entering into "Franchise Mode"...please consider the possibility of altering your rosters players progressions and training camp progressions.

True some changes may be required and I'm sure most are however the possibility does exsist and could be harmful to your teams long term longevity, the players will either go up and in some case come down, my concerns about roster editing is that it is an exact science of its own and I for one am not qualified to make such decisions with out consulting a known and universal source such as Outlads, geekrosters or any other well known and documented organizations that does this kind of editing.

For a single season its possible there would be no long term effects but if you intend on entering the Franchise mode consider the consequences or make as few changes as possibly until a more universal roster shared by all is either availble via this site, XBOX's official roster release, or one that you know is confirmed as being legit.

I'm not telling you how to run your rosters but presenting you with alternatives and opptions as to avoid serious damage to your rosters and if you do alter or edit them "SAVE THE ORIGINAL ROSTER" always save or have a backup.

Holla Back ya'll

Last edited by Rickster101; 08-17-2004 at 08:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2004, 12:01 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 3

I agree with you Rickster and I do caution anyone who takes this task(I have a saved default roster) but for me I will only play one season via the franchise since they took season mode out and I'm curious as to how this will play out.Ok, here's what I did tonight,I'm using Ricksters ver 2 sliders with 8 min qtrs.As I said before all my starting QB's are 99 pass acc,99 pass read,95 composure,99 consistency.I found that allot of times the linebackers were getting back in coverage so quick and either tipping or intercepting the ball that I felt they needed to be adjusted,so I had already adjusted all linebackers to a 40 jump rating no matter who they were,I then adjusted only the coverage slider down 25 pts on all of them from their default ratings.I then also lowered the DB's to a 40 jump and lowered coverage by 30 pts from default and then I started a game cpu vs. cpu only! First game was Da Bears at S.F. Grossman finished 15/27 55% 232 yds and 2TD /0 Int./3 sacks. Dorsey (he is the niners starter in my league I released Rattay) was 13/24 54% 210 yds 1 td 1 int. 2 sacks. Barlow ran 22 times for 110 yds (5 yd avg) Bears won 17-14. Jones finished with 87 yds on 21 carries.Game was very good but I was seeing the 3rd down conversions % somewhat high for the niners (around 80%) at times the Niners could move the ball in the air at will so I tweaked the coverage rating up 10 points for the DB's only for my next game. Bills/Bengals Palmer finished 2/2 27 yds. 0 td 0 int Kitna 9/13 69% 169yds 1TD 0 Int (the cpu had Palmer in some formations and Kitna in others at that time I since changed it) Bledsoe was 17/31 55% 213yds 2TD 2INT Bengals won 27/17 and had an Int returned for a Td by a player I created (Eddie North)FS for the Bengals.He is the highest rated defender they have although not by much****dy ran 26/67 yds 2.7 ave 1TD McGahee ran 20/35 1.7 ave 0 td.The game had no sacks.Only two games but this is the first and only time I've had a QB not throw an interception and their were two of them in two games!What I've also noticed was that I feel now that a team that is behind can comeback and win since the Bills missed a Fg to bring it within a TD with 3 min left and the Bengals gave a large dose of Rudy to basically run the clock down.I will definately leave my LB's alone since I only see them tip the ball occasionally but I may tweak the Db's coverage up a little to see what happens.Since I have created players and such and have moved some players around I won't be using a roster update cause it doesn't matter to me if my rosters are accurate 100%.This is working and I'm starting to like what I see.I won't move Ricksters sliders at all and I appreciate you letting me do my thang in your thread.I'll be back!
Old 08-18-2004, 04:48 AM   #37
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert
I've also spent some time editing player ratings. I think I've got passing about where I want it. Completion percentages in the mid- to upper- 50s. Interceptions: 7 in 199 pass attempts. Next, I'd like to improve the rushing stats. I'm averaging between 3 and 4 yards per carry. I'd like to get this up to 4 to 5 yards per carry. I've increased offensive Run Blocking quite a bit. I've also decreased defensive Run Coverage somewhat. Still, it's not enough. What else should I do? Decrease the Tackling rating? What has worked for some of you?
OK now let me get this straight, you increased the "Blocking" and you still can't see any improvement in the running game? So what are your offensive linemen doing? I mean your increased that for a reason so follow your blockers or the holes they open for the runningbacks.

Are you watching or controlling the running game? I'm seeing no problem my self, there might be too many changes. And what do you mean by Run Coverage or do you mean Pursuit?

Holla Back ya'll
Old 08-18-2004, 08:34 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 1
Question Re: The Chronicles Of Rickster101

Hi Rickster, I tried your v2 sliders and it seems to be very realistic without editing rosters... pretty good for me!

If you want we could experiment your sliders in a more scientific way... that is contributing with at least 2 games a day and see if stats come up realistic and after a number of games adjusting something and redo the same process! It would be very helpful for people like you (and me) to enjoy this great videogame in coach mode!
It would be nice to find what are nfl averages in every category of interest!

What about this idea?

Everybody could contribute in this way!

I started a new thread called "Coach Mode Sliders Reference"... let's keep it up! Coach Mode Sliders Reference

Last edited by piazza31; 08-18-2004 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:01 AM   #39
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert
I've increased offensive Run Blocking quite a bit. I've also decreased defensive Run Coverage somewhat. Still, it's not enough. What else should I do? Decrease the Tackling rating? What has worked for some of you?
Lowering the Pursuit slider definitely helps, but IMO it dumbs down the D too much when it's lower than 40. So I lowered Tackle ratings with great results: DT - average 30-40; DE and CB - average 40-50; LB, FS and SS - average 50-60. A number of stars get higher ratings of course. And it helps a lot having CPU playbooks where you permanently sub in the team’s power back for inside runs formations, and the team’s speed back for outside run formations.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:31 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 4

I've been watching CPU-CPU games. So, no, I do not control the ball carrier.

RC is listed in player ratings. I think it's called Run Coverage.

I've since lowered Tackling for DL and LB. It resulted in a big boost for the running game.

I'll keep watching this thread for helpful advice. Thanks everyone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »