Home

"How" do I practice in practice mode?

This is a discussion on "How" do I practice in practice mode? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2004, 01:34 PM   #1
MVP

bball_1523's Arena

OVR: 19
"How" do I practice in practice mode?

I know a lot of you recommended that everyone use the practice mode, but my question is and this question should always be of concern, "How" do I practice?

Such as, how do I use the defensive playcalling? any tips and pointers?

On offense, how would I practice against the defense? How can I recognize a change in defense better by practicing? How can I know when to audible or when to throw a route? etc etc.

I think my biggest problem is playing defense like everyone else probably, and I want to know what is a good practice routine?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2004, 02:37 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: "How" do I practice in practice mode?

This is the way I like to use Practice Mode. I use two controllers. After selecting Scrimmage, next at the team select screen I move one controller to the left (defense) and the other to the right (offense). Whether you end up playing as the defensive team or the offensive team, you can press the white button (on XBox) simultaneously on both controllers to see the defensive assignments (great for seeing the zone coverages) and the pass routes or running plays for the offense.

When practicing as the defense, have the offense run the same play repeatedly until you figure out which DL stunts, blitzes, and player shifts will work best for that particular offensive formation. Be sure to pick the defensive package that matches up against the offensive formation. For example, typically call a 4-3, 3-4, or Bear package against a Pro, Twins, or Split formation. When the offense adds another WR, such as Queens, change to a nickle to replace the slower LB with another DB. Same with Kings, replace another LB with another DB. Another tip, it's usually wise to not use a zone defense when the offense overloads one side of the field with WR's, like Trips or Bunch; audible to a M2M defense to avoid the numbers mismatch on that side of the field.

On offense, use the same play against the same defense repeatedly until you are confident in achieving some reasonable success with some consistancy. On weakside running plays, you can motion your TE to the weak side for an additional blocker. You can also motion your best run-blocking WR and then hike the ball at the right time during his motion to best get him to the most useful spot; this tactic can work well for runs up the middle that does not have a FB in the formation to lead the RB. Know the type of running back that you are using: power, finesse, or balanced. The power charge special move will be more effective with a power RB; jukes and spins will be more effective with a finesse back. Learn how to follow your blockers, especially if you have a good blocking FB; don't just speed tap immediately or you'll outrun your blockers. Try to anticipate defenders' tackling angles and always look for the cutback.

On passing plays, first decide if the defense is in M2M or zone. Motion a WR partway to see if the corner moves all the way with him. If he does, at least the corners are playing Man; if he stays on his side of the field, its a zone. Learn to read the defense, paying particular attention to the default positions of the corners and safeties; their depth from the LOS and their position on the field. In previous editions of the 2k series, you could for the most part have a pretty good idea from the pre-snap read of the defense if it was in a Cover 1, Cover 2, or Cover 3 type of defense just from positions of the corners and safeties; but this year the defenses are much better disguised. This necessitates the importance of the post snap read of the two safeties as the play develops. I try to have a pass pattern for a Cover 2 and Cover 3 for each passing situation, and depending upon the safeties' post snap movements, immediately know which receiver to look for. If you have a hunch that a blitz is coming, hot block one or both of your backs for another couple of seconds of time in the pocket. Maximum passing does work; learn to use it to lead your receiver and avoid most interceptions. Learn which routes will need a lob pass and which ones will need a bullet pass. Learn how to hot route and motion receivers. Depending upon if you are a beginner or not, consider starting on Rookie or Pro Difficulty at first until you get your timing and confidence, then bump it up to All Pro. Lastly, learn and know your playbook.

Hope this gives you some ideas and helps.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:46 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: "How" do I practice in practice mode?

I use practice mode to work on my QB skills, mainly making reads and progressions. I'll play 4 WR's against a dime man coverage. Prior to the snap, I'll know what order I want to throw to. At the snap, I drop and immediately look for blitzing LB's who aren't blocked. Next, I check Quincy Morgan. If he's covered, I check Andre Davis. Next, Dennis Northcutt. Finally, whoever my 4th WR is. In the corner of my eye, I watch the HB move out to the flats and see if he's being covered.

After checking my 2nd WR and before checking the 3rd, I look to see if I can run the QB (having a mobile QB like Garcia does help). If your QB is immobile, look to see if you can hit your HB.

If no lanes are open and the HB is covered, I check WR 3 and 4. At this point, the pocket is collapsing (if it held up that long) and I need to get out of the pocket and throw the ball away, or try to run.

To practice defense, I'll pick a passing team with a standout WR like the Patriots and Troy Brown. It seems in games I've played against the Pats, the CPU wants to throw to Brown quite often. I play FS on defense, and work on tipping or intercepting passes thrown to Brown. I'll pick an offensive play where there's 2 TE's, 2 RB's and 1 WR (Brown). This increases the likelyhood that Brady will try to throw to Brown.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:28 PM   #4
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

OVR: 7
Smile Re: "How" do I practice in practice mode?

tons of ways to do defensive practice , here is one basic :

Goal - to get comfortable with a basic defense and learn to read the offense before the snap to make adjustments:

Settings
offensive cpu playcalling auto
legend or all pro.
your team on D vs a good offensive squad (back,reciever)

THE 2 E's Experiment , Evaluate
--
EXPERIMENT

CHOOSE YOUR 1 PLAY AND STICK W/ IT for 5 minutes
say u love man2man and you use a 4-3 - so call a 4-3m2m
just as a qb would learn to read a formation PRESNAP - so will you on defense
for different plays you may want to choose your presnap defender carefully - get that guy in the best position.
learn what all the presnap adjustments do especially DB adjustments and Dline adjustments. try the individual adjustments

--
EVALUATE

what is killing you?
(ie - you cant stop the run up the middle or maybe it is the toss to the outside , or you just can't slow down the passing attack)
2 things to try with your observations -
1). try calling a D slightly better suited to stop what is killing u - for example if the run up the middle is killing you try calling your Dline to pinch or middle blitz , or your pass d is horrid - call a d with more deep safetys , or maybe you have no pass rush = try a moderate blitz , or maybe your cpu defenders are idiots - try a blitz and manually control a guy that is supposed to blitz !
etc, etc, etc
see how the adjustments work
2). change the offense play call to manual for a few plays and call a play that really gives you problems - even if you know it is comming you will improve your technique. - then go back to random and try to apply this improvement especially when the presnap offense looks like it may try something similar.

--
those are some basic ways to practice D , you can get as complex as u want.

Last edited by MartinDihigo; 08-17-2004 at 10:37 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »