Home

Player Progression?

This is a discussion on Player Progression? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2004, 12:25 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Player Progression?

"Anquan boldins ratings jumped up"

Yeah, he is a 95 in 2009 in my franchise. He, Fitzgerald and some created QB form the best passing offense in the leauge. They lost in the Playoffs though, don't think they have much of a defense.

I am not defending ESPN's player progression as being good, but I don't have a problem with it. The franchise I have going now has a great distribution of talent, some teams are really good with stud players, some have next to nobody. It feels like the real NFL with different personalities for each team. I will say that it would be nicer if playing time was a huge factor, but I don't mind performance not being a big one. How many players have excelled in the NFL because of the system they were in helped give them great stats (like Kevin Greene with Pitt). The minute they go to a new scheme they stink (Kevin Greene with Carolina).
Old 08-18-2004, 12:27 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondra12
How many one year wonders have there been in the NFL... Tons to say the least.
The funniest on was Tommy Maddox! :y4: Man, I can't believe the Steelers were dumb enough to let Kordell go, give Tommy a raise and make Tommy the starter by hitching their wagon to his 50 year-old sagging butt!! What a bunch of LOSERS!! They are going to pay dearly this year for that move just like they did last year. Real shame too because the Steelers are in my top five of favorite teams.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:01 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Lord_Vader
The funniest on was Tommy Maddox! :y4: Man, I can't believe the Steelers were dumb enough to let Kordell go, give Tommy a raise and make Tommy the starter by hitching their wagon to his 50 year-old sagging butt!! What a bunch of LOSERS!! They are going to pay dearly this year for that move just like they did last year. Real shame too because the Steelers are in my top five of favorite teams.
Yeah, Ben will be at the helm before mid-season, if not sooner.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2004, 01:10 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

yeah i dont know my second sting back roberston on the 49ers jumps up about 9 overall
Old 08-18-2004, 01:11 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

The problem with the player progression is that its too random. I had 25 sacks with william joseph in a season and he didn't go up ONE point.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:48 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Player Progression seems fine to me. Maybe it should be a little bit less hard-coded and more variable, but I think it works well. The only tricky thing is that real progression only seems to happen after you leave preseason and make all your cuts for the regular season. Otherwise, I've seen good things in my Eagles franchise-- Brian Westbrook jumps up to a 98 (this may be performance driven, I haven't checked this against a simmed season,) Michael Lewis went up to 88, Brian Dawkins went from 98 to 94 to 87, LJ Smith is an 86, Shawn Andrews peaked at 77 and then dropped to 68 in his 3rd year (strange.) A linebacker I drafted last year was a 63 and now is a 71 and starting at OLB. A DT draft pick from last year was in the fifties and is now a 69. Looking around the league, the Cardinals are now #1 in the Power Rankings at 8-2 behind a healthy dose of player progression. So yes, unlike in MVP Baseball, you can play many successive seasons in your franchise and you will still see a decent variety of talent.

I also think Mr. Vader still hasn't bothered to read the weekly prep sticky.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:03 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrcts
The problem with the player progression is that its too random. I had 25 sacks with william joseph in a season and he didn't go up ONE point.
I'm not disagreeing with the fact that progression is somewhat random. But, what were the rest of Joseph's stats like: how many tackles, tackles for a loss, or QB hurries did he have? A solid defensive tackle has to do more than just sack. A DT that can stop the run consistantly is far more valuable than one that can sack the QB. Try starting Joseph in a 3-4 and you'll see what I mean.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2004, 03:21 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1

The rest of his stats were good- I had a top 10 rushing defense. Regardless, if a guy has 25 sacks, he's a monster and should go up significantly.

Also- just for reference, I've simmed through a few seasons several times and each time Westbrook becomes a 98 after 3 or 4 seasons.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »