Home

Extra Cheese ruining online play: DE Cheat

This is a discussion on Extra Cheese ruining online play: DE Cheat within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2004, 09:39 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Extra Cheese ruining online play: DE Cheat

This guy wasn't even lining up the DE out of position. He just did a power-swim move to the inside of my left tackle on every single play and got through without even losing a step. I couldn't even complete a three-step drop before he was tackling the QB.

I hot-routed in the RB to block, but it never helped. He always moved to the inside and the game is broken because the blocking back does nothing to impede progress.

I normally get satisfaction from beating certain cheesers, but this year's game has so many bugs in the H2H gameplay that the online component is ruined - and that's been my favortie element the last two yeras.

I'd never played any online games till 2K4 and now I'm an XBL addict. I used to be the biggest, passionate Franchise guy who'd only play in Franchise mode. Now I hardly ever play the CPU, as I (normally) enjoy the human competition so much.

What is really ironic is that last year I learned to deal with the broken tackles and still played pretty well online. Despite all the negative press the super RBs got last year, I was never really bothered by them and was only occasionally up against smeone who'd annihilate me. Now this year I'm losing half my games to cheesers exploiting the bugs in this game.

Gamertag: Tailgun

"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, Gimme your best shot. I can take it."

- Kurt Russell, Big Trouble in Little China
Old 08-19-2004, 12:03 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 9

if someone is doing that with their DE/OLB, then call a screen pass on the side that he's rushing. That will stop it quickly.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:10 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

There's a whooole 'nother thread on how bad screen passes are in this game this year. In real life, that's exactly what I would do. IN last year's game, certainly. But in 2K5 the screen play is almost completely worthless, right up there with the reverses and counters.

Gamertag: Tailgun

"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, Gimme your best shot. I can take it."

- Kurt Russell, Big Trouble in Little China
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2004, 01:32 PM   #12
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

OVR: 7
Post Re: Extra Cheese ruining online play: DE Cheat

Something to remember is every time a player exploits a gameplay feature he will trap himself into being predictable and one dimensional. The way to defeat him is to tap the depths of your strategy and CHANGE YOUR GAME- u make the first round of adjustments and dictate to him what the new rules are - if he stays stagnent you should be able to exploit HIM.
if it takes the fun away from you - then you should probably just pull the controller out and take the drop. No shame in your game for that.
- the game is about fun , not rankings or winning - its about enjoyment.

Playcalling
Run at Em' / run thru em/ run anywhere be the bigger man -Just ignore it and establish a good running game - he can't sack u on a run.
KRUZA was right on about running at the defensive end. Same strategy they use in real life.
You said u know he is going inside of the tackle then you want to call running plays off tackle , off the edge or if that isn't wide enough- even toss plays and cut it back inside a little bit. He cant go all out to the QB and still be effective , because defensive end play requires you to stay in your lane in order to keep the D sound vs the run.
Specifically there are "misdirection plays" for running that are called traps or counters and they feast on over-aggressive pursuit of defenders. Many of the running plays that trap or pull will send a lineman from his position over behind the line to lead block - maybe just maybe one of them runs right into his a$S and will knock him on his back!
You will want to try running plays like a draw play(he might stuff it for a loss , but he also might whiff and give u a lot of room for a 4 yard gain or more).
You will want to use the Direct Snap play out of shotgun if u have it in one of your shotguns(know thy playbook) - its basically a draw but a little quicker and you may leave him exposed and confused for a second.
and other then trapping and countering to His Side effectively , any runs even up the middle or away or to the outside will be effective. if you run a lot and keep eating up yards you will move the ball and eat the clock - force him to change his D calls to put more men up on the line and once he adjusts to your running this will open up your quick passing game.

ROLLAWAY - by rolling away from the side of the defensive end you change the angle that he has to pursue , and no matter how fast you will have some minimal time to at least throw a pass. On the rollaway you have 3 options in this situation - 1. quickly hit a reciever(maybe beating a zone or maybe u hotrouted a slant , or its a back out of the backfield...) 2. Run with the QB! - keep trucking and get your 5 yards and slide, 3. - hit the black button(xbox) and throw the ball away - take the incompletion rather then a sack and don't lose the yards- smarter.

Shotgun - ive faced some guys that have an unstoppable blitz and they couldn't get my shotgun , however u did say that shotgun was too slow so i guess that isn't working. there are your shot gun plays and there is the Hail Mary plays which can be effective (use the hotroutes to make them into a short to medium pass play) its hard to believe that the hailmary play would be too slow but i am not doubting you. It also helps on the hailmary to take manual control of the qb as he catches the snap and not let the cpu do a slow dropback for him.

Chip blocking with Motion
- the beauty of practicing in scrimmage is that you can learn what players do on a play and they will basically repeat the same movements if u repeat the same play.
Now when you send say a tightend with a (pass)blocking assignment(regular or hotrouted) in motion to the side of the end - by hiking the ball when the tightend is in the correct spot he will run right into the blitzind defensive end and set a block. This may be your Best answer right here. He cant fight thru that 2nd block - and it is all about hiking at the right time so the block hits him. You will need to learn how the Tightend reacts to the passblocking audible and perfect it in practice. If you do get that tightend to block him you will have shut down his blitz MOST of the time. sure he may still rarely get by , but you have time to do your play. Since he is powering up and using a move on the first blocker he will be less effective vs the Tightend.

Personell - get the best players on the field for the situation.
It is imperative that the blockers lined up with him are the BEST that u have. - PassBlocking rating is the name of the game , its probably the tackle , maybe the guard = get your studs both on that side.
Make sure the tightend that you will use to chipblock w/motion is your best pass blocking tight end - if 2 te's are similar go for strength and consistency .
Consider putting in a faster QB - u will want to be able to run on rollaways, you will want to be able to do a qb sneak right thru where that defensiveEnd used to be after you chipBlock him.
You may want a speed/agility back at least as your 2nd string to sub and use when you run a misdirection thru his vacated defensive lane because it will be all about running thru a space without stumbling and fast.

Ball control , hurry up, fieldposition and defense -
eat the clock even if its not your style.- shortens the game limits the times he can exploit something.
use the hurry up(u can eat clock in hurryup) - keep him on the field -tire that defensive ends Ar$$ out! make him less effective and keep him from adjusting his play calls to get the rest of the D where it can stop your runs and pass plays.
Work for field position- punt , be smart.
Play good D - youve shortened the game and counteracted his one trick pony with the above strategys - now its time to shut HIS offense down and keep the score close.

The above strategys should be enough to beat this guy if u ever see him again and can be used vs anyone similar.

Good luck and your welcome

Last edited by MartinDihigo; 08-19-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:50 PM   #13
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinDihigo

The above strategys should be enough to beat this guy if u ever see him again and can be used vs anyone similar.

Good luck and your welcome

Holy crap that was a great post

thanks
Old 08-19-2004, 02:23 PM   #14
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocker
Holy crap that was a great post

thanks
thanks hopefully it works , i think that motion block with the TE might be a key help to passing vs a monster defensiveEnd.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:50 PM   #15
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinDihigo
Chip blocking with Motion
- the beauty of practicing in scrimmage is that you can learn what players do on a play and they will basically repeat the same movements if u repeat the same play.
Now when you send say a tightend with a (pass)blocking assignment(regular or hotrouted) in motion to the side of the end - by hiking the ball when the tightend is in the correct spot he will run right into the blitzind defensive end and set a block. This may be your Best answer right here. He cant fight thru that 2nd block - and it is all about hiking at the right time so the block hits him. You will need to learn how the Tightend reacts to the passblocking audible and perfect it in practice. If you do get that tightend to block him you will have shut down his blitz MOST of the time. sure he may still rarely get by , but you have time to do your play. Since he is powering up and using a move on the first blocker he will be less effective vs the Tightend.

PROBLEM! - This game doesn't let you motion a hotrouted blocker and if u hotroute it as the guy is motioning it doesn't let you snap it until he sets. This is really dumb because as long as there are the correct people on the line of scrimmage it is completely within the rules. Basically a slight flaw by VC. - I am looking for solutions to this , but i didn't want to mislead people about this specific strategy.

I did notice another type of similar play that seems to help - using a jokers formation I hotrouted both the tightends on the left to block. The tight end on the right i hotrouted to run straight deep(fly pattern). (you can do multiple hot routes in this case because it doesn't count blocking audibles) then i motioned the tightend from the right to to the left- the one that i am sending on a fly and snap the ball when he is lined up with where the defensive end breaks through the line. He doesnt lock on , but he does bump the end and slightly delay him giving enough time to make a read and throw to the remaining fullback on the right(or whoever you sub in that position)

Last edited by MartinDihigo; 08-19-2004 at 03:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2004, 05:48 PM   #16
Pro

FocusYoMindOnDis's Arena

OVR: 6

Extra Cheese...good on pizza, bad online.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »