Home

Need Help stopping the Run!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Need Help stopping the Run!!!!!!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Need Help stopping the Run!!!!!!!

I need help in picking certain defenses in stopping the run. Especially against the hard hitting RB's. Allstott, Lewis.....

I don't like using the Bear Formation. If the RB sweeps to the outside, your all done.

Guys, tell me your throughts and tricks...

thanks

Chappy
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2004, 02:32 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Need Help stopping the Run!!!!!!!

I use the same basic principles teams use in real life, I cover the gaps with by linebackers and try not to over pursue. I usually play the middle lb and am pretty succesful stopping the runs between the tackles. On sweeps I stay in my lane and watch for the cutback if the back breaks contain I'll pursue full out. Generous use of the strafe button is also key to making plays and staying square to the line of scrimmage.

I occasionally will give up the big run but not with reqularity, which is cool. I tend to run some variation of the 4-3 zone when I think a run is emminent. I don't like the bear for run defense, I usually use that when I want to put extra pressure on the passer.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:39 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
Talking Re: Need Help stopping the Run!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy
I need help in picking certain defenses in stopping the run. Especially against the hard hitting RB's. Allstott, Lewis.....

I don't like using the Bear Formation. If the RB sweeps to the outside, your all done.

Guys, tell me your throughts and tricks...

thanks

Chappy
For what it is worth, I have gotten scorched in the past by Lewis - HE is a monster. My best advice that I can give you is to NOT over committ, and to mix up your plays. But realize that the monster backs ARE going to get their yardage on you. Sometimes your best advantage against these guys is to manage the clock and keep their offense OFF of the field.

Good Luck !

Ohio State Buckeyes
Kansas City Chiefs
Los Angeles Lakers
Cincinnati Reds

"Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice." - Ted Knight (Judge Smails) in Caddyshack.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:15 PM   #4
Pro

I usually use the 2 Hard and 2 soft zone plays for runs.. Seems the RB's get about 4-6 yards per carry.

Any 3-4 formations work?
Old 08-20-2004, 04:23 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

I can play one Dime play thru out the game and opponents only score 10-14 a game(in All-Pro). Defence rating is around 80s and they don't seem to have problem stopping runs...

It's bit boring but it works (sorry don't remember the name of the play)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2004, 04:28 PM   #6
Pro

Dime???? UMMMMM..

If you remember let me know
Old 08-20-2004, 04:46 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 6

I suppose it depends on your defensive style. I use more of a "bend, don't break" style, so those 4-6 yards gains don't really bother me. I use a lot of zones and sometimes on running downs I'll hotroute a LB to go man on the running back if my opponent has success running the ball. The hotrouting seems to really help as they'll shadow the RB pretty well and guarantee at least one man is commited to him. Sure, it leaves a zone open, but if you mix it up it works ok.

IMO, most people change their defense to try to stop whatever you're doing successfully. That, more often than not, leads to big plays. I'd rather play MY defense and dictate the pace of the game and make them work their way downfield than give up a 60 yard play. If they need 8-9+ plays to get down the field and score, then I feel my defense is doing its job. People tend to get impatient with those short gains and start going for the big plays, then 3 and outs and turnovers start happening.

[edit]-BTW, I love those Hard Zone plays. I use them more than anything else. They're weak against fades and deep passes to the middle, but they defend the run well and give you decent coverage against most passing plays. For example, I'll run a Hard Zone on 1st and 2nd down a lot, then switch to a Cover 12 on 3rd and long. If it's 3rd and short, I might stick with the Hard Zone. If you ask me, there isn't another defense that offers decent pass coverage that is still effective against all types of runs, particularly outside runs.

Last edited by Gennataos; 08-20-2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:53 PM   #8
All Star

nkhera1's Arena

OVR: 16

don't know if this helps, but i sometimes bring a linebacker to help pressure, and then shift my line. So if i bring a linebacker from the left, i shift my line right, if i bring a lineback from the middle, i spread out my line.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »