Home

What should sega do to improve their franchise mode?

This is a discussion on What should sega do to improve their franchise mode? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2004, 09:16 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: What should sega do to improve their franchise mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
- Better facemask/helmet proportion

- Less generic body types so 44 yr old kickers aren't built like Vick or McNabb. lol! Not everybody should be cut...lets get some flabby, smooth muscled qbs and linemen...linebackers as well. Just mix it up a bit.

Theres also a link to some new equipment options in that same post. Stuff like handwarmer pouches, towels, half-fastened chin straps, etc.

I think it's just wrong for the player editor in 2k5 to be as horrendously shallow as it is with such tight graphics. Hopefully we see an upgrade here next yr.
These are things I would love to see too.

I've theorized though that the reason why VC have not done this (adjustable body parts) is because their models are so complicated. In the end you have a very nice looking game but then it isn't very customizable. Where Madden models are simpler but more custimazable. The drawbacks and benefits to both. And would explain things like stick up the butt running animation in the open field too. lol Hopefully VC can overcome this next year. Otherwise, 99% of the game is gorgeous to look at.

I like a lot of your ideas.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:25 PM   #18
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper
These are things I would love to see too.

I've theorized though that the reason why VC have not done this (adjustable body parts) is because their models are so complicated. In the end you have a very nice looking game but then it isn't very customizable. Where Madden models are simpler but more custimazable. The drawbacks and benefits to both. And would explain things like stick up the butt running animation in the open field too. lol Hopefully VC can overcome this next year. Otherwise, 99% of the game is gorgeous to look at.

I like a lot of your ideas.
Thanks and you bring up good points. But actually there was evidence that they did attempt to add some body scale sliders last yr in one of the beta vids. But they didn't make it in the game. I already expect we may not see a deeper editor next yr. But theres always next-gen which is right around the corner.

Last edited by Kanobi; 08-22-2004 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:26 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceanity2k3
BTw these are gr8 ideas but they will not put eSPn over the top in terms of franchise mode...Is there anything really innovative that madden hasn't done yet that ESPn could explore?Or has maddendone everything possible to have the top Chise mode...

I'vesuggestted having realistic training camps exactly like the pros do it..you'll be able to do,you yourself,all types of drills...Not the mini camp madden drills that get boring after 2 tries i mean real drills scrimmages and 7-7s...
My take on it is VC should get the little things in franchise right FIRST then they can go and think about something innovative.

Like I never liked the idea of 1st person football because I was afraid at the time that resources weren't being allocated properly to the rest of the game and sure enough...well we all know 2k4 was far from perfect. I know some people like this feature but more would have loved it if they had taken care of the little things in franchise and other gameplay issues first.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:42 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

They just need to fix what they have. They have some cool stuff, but the AI is what the real problem is. Have the computer teams draft realistically. Less big name trades.

Then they need to add some of the stuff Madden does do. Restricted free agents, franchise tag, slower draft, some of the storyline and owners elements. People might say it's copying, but those all are big parts of the real life offseason, so they should be added to the game.

I can't think of a huge innovative feature to add, I'm sure they will. But first they need to polish the franchise mode, not revamp it.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:38 PM   #21
R**k**

whosgotcha's Arena

OVR: 18

I enjoy Madden 2005's morale ratings. I would like to see ESPN implement their own version of player personalities. I also enjoy the preseason setup, position battles, And Madden 2004's ability to make up your own coach and change teams. I would like to see ESPN implement these franchise aspects as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2004, 12:20 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 18

make weekly prep "casual friendly"...then add a boatload of cutscenes to it...on vary situations

then have commentary related for all three broadcasters

suzy can mentioned things along the lines of someone practicing to hard, and will be out with an injury, or will be greatly hampered by an injury, or will play through the pain

dan and peter can make comments to the effect at the production meeting, a player spoke of his week of practice and how it will show on field, they can then make reference to whether he lived up to the expectations or his performance was sub par

they can also make comments to the effect of a player being a leader on field and his play and energy is effecting the whole team(both sides of the ball)

add all the "little things" like rfa's stuff like that

have a much cooler interface, duh, its espn...but the frontpage, is so obvious...think outside the box with the presentation of franchise

dont copy any aspect of SSC...if the idea is to stay away from the franchise of madden...player happiness and the like better not be in 2k6...it would be wack to have two games bringing the same thing to the table

be back with more ideas, when the time is right...back to my sliders
Old 08-23-2004, 12:49 AM   #23
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

What's the Schedule glitch?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:52 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman56
What's the Schedule glitch?
Sim a few seasons and take note of the same small handful of teams you end up playing against, year after year.

I agree with several others here: just fix what’s in this year’s game, first. Hopefully VC doesn’t do something nutty like rebuild the game once again. The game’s fine the way it is, and with a few game play tweaks and several franchise fixes – draft, trades, schedule, progression and freezes (on the PS2, and it’s happening to a lot of people apparently, so count yourself lucky if you’re not one of them) – it’ll be perfect.

And progression apparently is an issue, both in weekly prep and in the year-to-year stuff. I’ve heard stories of players doubling their previous season’s stats, yet their ratings drop by several points.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »