Home

Right stick vs. face buttons?

This is a discussion on Right stick vs. face buttons? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2004, 11:08 AM   #1
All Star

OVR: 13
Right stick vs. face buttons?

Do you guys use the right analog stick to juke/maneuver during runs/after the catch/kick returns, or do you use the face buttons (X, Y, B, etc.)...I'm stuck in the habit of only using face buttons (I'm old-school like that), but I feel like I'm not using the available moves to their fullest because of it - in other words, it seems like the R stick jukes may be more effective. Also, I find it hard to charge up with "A" (on the XBox) while using the Right stick to juke.

Just wondering which one you guys use primarily (obviously, some things like diving require the face buttons), because I can't return any kicks or get long runs or a ton of yards after the catch mostly because I have ZERO open field ability!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2004, 11:13 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Right stick vs. face buttons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Do you guys use the right analog stick to juke/maneuver during runs/after the catch/kick returns, or do you use the face buttons (X, Y, B, etc.)...I'm stuck in the habit of only using face buttons (I'm old-school like that), but I feel like I'm not using the available moves to their fullest because of it - in other words, it seems like the R stick jukes may be more effective. Also, I find it hard to charge up with "A" (on the XBox) while using the Right stick to juke.

Just wondering which one you guys use primarily (obviously, some things like diving require the face buttons), because I can't return any kicks or get long runs or a ton of yards after the catch mostly because I have ZERO open field ability!!!
Any tips for returning kicks?
Old 08-23-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 6

Truthfully, I haven't tried using the right stick. I do think it would probably be more effective than the face buttons, but I think it has a much steeper learning curve.

For the open field, juke is your friend...I also use the spin.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

The thing is that its many diffrent ways to become effective in running. Some games, I can use nothing but Charge + Shoulder charge or Charge + stiff arm. Then in others I'm real good with Charge +Spin. Then some games, the juke stick seems more effective. Then in other games, abusing the hell out of the speed burst seems to work good at breaking tackles and gaining extra yards.

Of course its all relative to what HB you use but in my season with the Eagles, due to injuries, I've had to use all 4 of my HBs so far.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:37 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennataos
Truthfully, I haven't tried using the right stick. I do think it would probably be more effective than the face buttons, but I think it has a much steeper learning curve.

For the open field, juke is your friend...I also use the spin.
I have started playing around with the Right Stick. Pushing Up (Stutter Step) has broken a few runs of mine for 30+ yards. The defender usually dives or runs right by you, letting you get a lot more yards. Unfortunately, I can't seem to tap "A" fast enough to outrun all the defenders.

What I am wondering is...are your Right Stick moves more effective if your back type is "Finesse" rather than "Power"? I suspect they are slightly, but could be wrong.

Effectiveness of Right Stick Moves:
Finesse > Balanced > Power

?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2004, 01:47 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 6

Maybe I should spend more time with the right stick. I really love to run and I'm probably missing out on a lot of potential.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:49 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

The right stick can get kinda cheesey though. I used it online and found myself slipping out of many, many tackles just by randomly flicking it.

I stick with the face buttons now.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:52 PM   #8
All Star

OVR: 13

Thanks for the advice...Quick follow-up: are the right stick jukes more effective if you charge up using "A", or does it not matter for R-stick moves?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »