Home

Trick Play Effectiveness?

This is a discussion on Trick Play Effectiveness? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2004, 03:16 PM   #1
All Star

OVR: 13
Trick Play Effectiveness?

Does anyone regularly (or semi-regularly) get any of the "trick plays" to work? You know, the ones with the gray headings like the flea flicker, reverse, fake-toss double reverse, etc.? I can get the flea flicker to go off once in a while (I guess I've only tried it a handful of times), but the reverses and fake tosses just seem like a total waste of time: the CPU hammers you in the backfield either before you make the 2nd handoff or immediately after the 2nd handoff, at which point you lose boatloads of yards...

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2004, 04:47 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Trick Play Effectiveness?

The flea-flickers are great, I use them often. The reverses are worthless, IMO, though. Then again, I have the crappy Dolphins line, so I even have to take all the Counters out of my playcalling.

Gamertag: Tailgun

"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, Gimme your best shot. I can take it."

- Kurt Russell, Big Trouble in Little China
Old 08-26-2004, 04:57 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

This is probably the first football game I've played where the reverses are actually effective (for me, atleast).
Old 08-26-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

when the receiver is fast enough...it works.

when the player is not fast- you lose yards.

When you use the right personnel, there is only a split second difference between being tackled in the backfield or gaining 10-70 yards on a reverse.

Plus, when using one of those fast guys, be sure to follow the route (marked by the red arrow) and resist the temptation to dance around or hit a hole that opens up before you reach the corner.

Even though you're going so fast you feel like you don't know if there is going to be open space at the corner or a defender, just keep running the route anyway...either someone will be waiting to smack you or you will barely escape their grasp and run for the fences.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:30 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 21

I've gotten both the reverse and the fake reverse to work for some yards...and when you do, they're awfully pretty to watch. I use Pittsburgh and had Hine Ward break off a big one for me...I must've replayed it 10 times. It was beautiful to watch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2004, 10:29 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 17

Reverse is only effective if the de is playing man. With zone they run all over you.

For the flea-flicker it seems you cant lob it only throw bullets
Old 08-27-2004, 01:02 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Yeaa reverses work well for me, especially slot reverses, they develop quickly and are very effective with a quick runner. I cant seem to get flea flickers to work, even though they always worked in the previous SEGA games. Also even though not a trick play, i find that draws actually work for a good 7 or 8 yards.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:53 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 9

Reverses do not work at ALL for me. They never have. That take too long to develop and even the best O-Line cannot hold the defenders off long enough for the WR to get to the edge and gain some real yards.

The Flea Flicker is effective and quite fun. Although I have noticed that you must be damned sure that you are throwing the pass to a receiver that has good hands. Every tipped ball I have seen on this play results in a pick.

The HB pass is so-so. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Though I have actually had a TD with this play. I have found that the key seems to be to give your HB PLENTY of room to throw the ball. Not being a passer, he needs to wind up for the throw a second or two longer than a QB. While he is in this animation, you are stuck. You can't control your HB. You have to wait for him to either get the pass off or for a defender to clean his clock. I NEVER run this play in a tight game.

I think this is a good, smart football rule of thumb. Never run your trick plays if you are playing a game in which you cannot afford a mistake. If it is a close game, (within 7 points) or if the game will have an effect on your Playoff chances, IGNORE THE TRICKERY!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »