Home

Re-Negotiating Contracts, Signing bonuses etc...

This is a discussion on Re-Negotiating Contracts, Signing bonuses etc... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2004, 12:47 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Re-Negotiating Contracts, Signing bonuses etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTell
That's why you should have re-negotiated his contract to where he recieved little or no signing bonus. Then you would be able to trade him and his whole contract would come off the books.
Isn't that....oh, what do you call it?....cheating?
Old 08-31-2004, 12:53 AM   #10
Banned

TallTell's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmlbc
Isn't that....oh, what do you call it?....cheating?
WHY?

The guy is still goin' get his money. And a lot more of it at that. Just that it won't be me paying him cause I'll be trading him away. If it's cheating, the NFL cheats.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:59 AM   #11
All Star

nkhera1's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Lord_Vader
Thanks vinny! I have a follow-up:

So you are saying that whatever you give him as a signing bonus, that amount counts against your PENALTY for each of the years he is signed?

Example:

100k contract for 3 years. 70% signing bonus = $70k. I trade the player. When the deal is made, I am hit with a $210k penalty against my salary cap because I had originally signed him for 3 years. Hence 3 years x $70k.

Is this right?
in the game do they count it for the whole signing bonus or just for that year. Like suppose i realase chad hutchinson, so my cap will get hit with whatever is left of his signing bonus, but next year he doesn't count on my cap at all, because i'm about 9 million under, and i want to get rid of him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2004, 01:54 AM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
WHY?

The guy is still goin' get his money. And a lot more of it at that. Just that it won't be me paying him cause I'll be trading him away. If it's cheating, the NFL cheats.

When was a last time a team renegotiated a player's contract just so they could trade/release him? Why would a player ever agree to that?

More importantly, I'm pretty sure that in the real NFL when a player renegotiates his contract, the prorated portion of his signing bonus from the old contract (meaning the part of the original signing bonus that has yet to be counted against the salary cap) carries over to the new contract. So if Player X signs for 5 years with a $5 mil signing bonus (that counts $1 mil/year against the cap) and 3 years later signs a new contract with no signing bonus, there is still $2 million that hasn't been counted against the salary cap, which would either be spread over the remainder of the contract or would count as the cap penalty if he were cut/traded. Meaning, you can't do what you're doing in the real NFL.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:57 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhera1
in the game do they count it for the whole signing bonus or just for that year. Like suppose i realase chad hutchinson, so my cap will get hit with whatever is left of his signing bonus, but next year he doesn't count on my cap at all, because i'm about 9 million under, and i want to get rid of him.
should be just for the year you're in or about to start
Old 08-31-2004, 03:26 AM   #14
We'll waste him too.

snepp's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
WHY?

I believe you've been misinformed somewhere along the line. The signing bonus money a team is responsible for does not magically "disappear" when a contract is renegotiated. At some point that signing bonus money will count against the team's salary cap. Example forthcoming (very simplified version).

"Fictional Guy" gets drafted, signs a 5 year deal for 20 million dollars with a 10 million dollar signing bonus. His deal breaks down like so:

YearSalaryBonusCap Charge
1st4mil2mil6mil
2nd4mil2mil6mil
3rd4mil2mil6mil
4th4mil2mil6mil
5th4mil2mil6mil

After Fictional Guy's 4th year in the league, Fictional Team decides that he's a big stud and wants to sign him to an extention. They negotiate a brand new 4 year deal for a whopping 40 million dollars, but Fictional Guy's new agent isn't too bright and they forget to ask for a signing bonus. Although Fictional Guy's new contract doesn't include any new signing bonus money, the team's salary cap is still responsible for the remain 2 million in bonus charges from the first deal, which now gets spread out over 4 years.

1st10mil500k10.5mil
2nd10mil500k10.5mil
3rd10mil500k10.5mil
4th10mil500k10.5mil

I realize the ESPN has a few franchise querks and mishandling contract renegotiations is one of them. To the best of my knowledge this is the way signing bonus money gets handled in the NFL, albeit in its simplest form.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:28 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Lord_Vader
Can somebody here give a point by point account of how we should be using and adjusting the salary contracts? I for one do not really understand how they work. I kind of miss the old NFL2k way of doing things where you just look at the player's ratings, make him an offer, if he rejects it, offer him a little more and then he accepts the offer. The whole 'front end, back end, penalty, cap' stuff is very complex. I am sure it would be more fun if I really understood what I was doing.
Here's my example..

I drafted up a team for my first franchise. I had Clinton Portis. I see Willis Magahee sitting on the FA market, so I sign him. now in signing him I take into consideration Portis has two years left on his contract, so Willis' contract was structured so he got the money he wanted but it was back-ended so that way in his first two seasons he was making "back-up money" and on his third year (the year Portis may leave) he'd finally be making "starter money". This way I wouldn't wind up having a 5 mil RB starting and a 2 mil on the bench.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2004, 10:45 AM   #16
Banned

TallTell's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snepp
I believe you've been misinformed somewhere along the line. The signing bonus money a team is responsible for does not magically "disappear" when a contract is renegotiated. At some point that signing bonus money will count against the team's salary cap. Example forthcoming (very simplified version).

"Fictional Guy" gets drafted, signs a 5 year deal for 20 million dollars with a 10 million dollar signing bonus. His deal breaks down like so:

1st4mil2mil6mil
2nd4mil2mil6mil
3rd4mil2mil6mil
4th4mil2mil6mil
5th4mil2mil6mil

After Fictional Guy's 4th year in the league, Fictional Team decides that he's a big stud and wants to sign him to an extention. They negotiate a brand new 4 year deal for a whopping 40 million dollars, but Fictional Guy's new agent isn't too bright and they forget to ask for a signing bonus. Although Fictional Guy's new contract doesn't include any new signing bonus money, the team's salary cap is still responsible for the remain 2 million in bonus charges from the first deal, which now gets spread out over 4 years.

1st10mil500k10.5mil
2nd10mil500k10.5mil
3rd10mil500k10.5mil
4th10mil500k10.5mil

I realize the ESPN has a few franchise querks and mishandling contract renegotiations is one of them. To the best of my knowledge this is the way signing bonus money gets handled in the NFL, albeit in its simplest form.
Not on this game. And if I'm cheating, ohwell, so be it. I paid 19.99.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »