Home

3 Running Speeds

This is a discussion on 3 Running Speeds within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2004, 02:23 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Smile 3 Running Speeds

For those that seem like you can only run in eight directions you are pressing
the digital stick to hard.

Go to practice and get the feel of the 3 speeds which you can run. Yep, that's
right 3 speeds depending on the pressure you apply to the stick.

Most people complaining are pressing the digital stick 100% in a direction. Try
keeping a steady hand and pratice running at the different speeds and follow your
blocks.

Also can someone see if this works in Madden. I have not had the chance to grab
it yet. THANKS!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2004, 02:41 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: 3 Running Speeds

might want to start calling it an analog stick...

I think the running game seems a little sluggish sometimes regardless of how far you press the stick, but it is still light years ahead of Madden, and Madden has two speeds, running and sprinting, but I do think you can run slowly if you only press it a bit, but I don't know why you would want to. As for ESPN, I think it is more beneficial to keep your thumb light on the stick sometimes to avoid making big slow cuts. Its more realistic, Madden the players don't make cuts, they make big looping turns and if you are running to fast they just kinda lean and make wider turns.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:35 AM   #3
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

OVR: 7
Talking Re: 3 Running Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz50
might want to start calling it an analog stick...

I think the running game seems a little sluggish sometimes regardless of how far you press the stick, but it is still light years ahead of Madden, and Madden has two speeds, running and sprinting, but I do think you can run slowly if you only press it a bit, but I don't know why you would want to. As for ESPN, I think it is more beneficial to keep your thumb light on the stick sometimes to avoid making big slow cuts. Its more realistic, Madden the players don't make cuts, they make big looping turns and if you are running to fast they just kinda lean and make wider turns.

I agree , in Espn when u make a cut you dont wont to be in 3rd gear - you want a light touch on the right stick

In madden it feels like i am playing one of the old nintendo Micro Machines games. They had a little car and u used varying amounts of the a button to manage your speed around cereal tracks. In maddumb I am driving the runner , and stepping on the gas ! lmao
Old 08-30-2004, 08:27 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

It's not the running back that gives away the 8 way movement. I love the game, but watch how defenders move. That is what gives it away. Call a blitz, any blitz and watch how the defender executes it. They all do it the same way with no variation. Run down, then when they reach the end of that they turn in left or right. If you are controlling the QB you can also to a degree. If he is supposed to hit a certain gap, all the QB has to do is wiggle the right stick as he is dropping and the LB, instead of running through the gap will run directly into the back of one of his defensive players. I dunno, I find them taking alot of unnecessary steps sometimes. They take the longest route to the QB, when if you are blitzing you should be taking the shortest. Movement is big in that regard.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:26 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasthour
For those that seem like you can only run in eight directions you are pressing
the digital stick to hard.

Go to practice and get the feel of the 3 speeds which you can run. Yep, that's
right 3 speeds depending on the pressure you apply to the stick.

Most people complaining are pressing the digital stick 100% in a direction. Try
keeping a steady hand and pratice running at the different speeds and follow your
blocks.

Also can someone see if this works in Madden. I have not had the chance to grab
it yet. THANKS!
8 way moving is an issue. Period. There is no sugar coating it. But its an issue that can be worked around and dealt with. Here is where I really see it. Lets say I run a toss to the right and I am running up and slightly diagonal, I see nothing but paydirt so I just want to change direction and run straight up. If I dont carefully rotate the analog stick until I am facing up and then hold up, the runner will kinda stop, pivot, turn, then go. The only reason the defender doesnt catch me is because he does the same thing EXACTLY when I do it.

The problem with this is, sometimes when I want to turn the corner really fast, I dont have time to "carefully rotate the analog stick until I am facing up and then hold up" and the stop, pivot, turn allows the defenders to catch up. Veterans of the 2k5 series are used to this and dont have the problem, but newcomers will find themselves all over the place if they are not careful. There should just be a natural kinda curve when you run around the corner, or around a lineman (when blitzing) and its just not in this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2004, 06:58 PM   #6
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23jp
8 way moving is an issue. Period. There is no sugar coating it. But its an issue that can be worked around and dealt with. Here is where I really see it. Lets say I run a toss to the right and I am running up and slightly diagonal, I see nothing but paydirt so I just want to change direction and run straight up. If I dont carefully rotate the analog stick until I am facing up and then hold up, the runner will kinda stop, pivot, turn, then go. The only reason the defender doesnt catch me is because he does the same thing EXACTLY when I do it.

The problem with this is, sometimes when I want to turn the corner really fast, I dont have time to "carefully rotate the analog stick until I am facing up and then hold up" and the stop, pivot, turn allows the defenders to catch up. Veterans of the 2k5 series are used to this and dont have the problem, but newcomers will find themselves all over the place if they are not careful. There should just be a natural kinda curve when you run around the corner, or around a lineman (when blitzing) and its just not in this game.

good point - it should be better then it is. the cutback shouldn't happen unless you drastically change directions or your agility is 60 or below. This is one part of the game that i do not mind giving the edge to madden.
Its a good idea - they just need to tone it down.

and like someone said - the blitzers need to be a little smarter getting to the QB - if one gets free i always control him and manually sack the qb or else half the time they run into blockers or take a bad route.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »