Home

EQ...explained.

This is a discussion on EQ...explained. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2004, 11:27 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: EQ...explained.

You guys still don't feel me. So here's my simplest example and after that i can't do anymore.

Ok let's take Sega's rating system and use T. Owens as an example.

OK ... Say he's rated 100 and I say "Yes he should be rated 100"
OK ... In real life T.Owens should be rated 100 compared to all other WRs
Argument: What Sega deems as a 100 in the game is more like a 150 in real life.

OK ... I agree T.Owens is a 100 in real life but NOT a 150.
Conclusion: We all seem to agree that Sega's ratings are outta whack. So when they say that a 100 rated player gets marginalized to a 97 or 95 I argue that's what they should have been all along.

People are saying "Well that's what Sega's ratings are and they should be there because obviously that's what they wanted them at and they should be set at"

Well last year their star RB's were rated from the company one thing and WE ALL KNOW they were way outta whack.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the new rosters come out with rating changes to make this game closer to EQ on than what it is now.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:28 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

[quote=totalownership]It's funny how some are so against EQ. I read this article with an open mind. And I made it a point NOT look at anything on the screen but the article. I had my girlfriend (although this can't be substantiated independently) cover everything on the screen but the text of the article. I did it for a point. Since she's a computer engineer as myself, she knew what I wanted her to do. I read it and then I told her, "I bet you somewhere we'll find out he's a Falcons, Eagles, Pats or Ravens fan". I told her to move the papers she had blocking the rest of the screen. Lo and behold he has a Eagles avatar !!!

I love EQ and I play with Eagles. Yes its harder to complete passes but I shouldn't throw to covered men. Seems I getting more realistic online play.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:28 PM   #11
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
Awesome info. Thanks man. Thats silences alot of the speculation and makeshift theories of what EQ actually does being that its an explanation from the Lead AI engineer himself. An abbreviated version was posted a few days ago by LbzRule but it obviously went unnoticed by most.

What did he say that wasn't already known?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2004, 11:30 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 28

And I mean Hidden changes that we wont see. So as not to create an uprising.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:33 PM   #13
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
Awesome info. Thanks man. Thats silences alot of the speculation and makeshift theories of what EQ actually does being that its an explanation from the Lead AI engineer himself. An abbreviated version was posted a few days ago by LbzRule but it obviously went unnoticed by most.
Its amazing how many guys just don't get it, even from the "Lead Progammer" himself...it was in his own words and posted for all to read and still there are some who just don't get it, I read it and he said what he said nobody put words in his mouth and this came from the man himself "Shawn Lee" so it should put to rest all the rumors about its function...but still some guys just don't believe him or maybe are in states of denial or maybe like you said they did not read or missed what "Shawn Lee" said about the EQ function,again it came from the most reliable source you could get, the guy who actually did the progamming..."Mr. Shawn Lee" himself...he would be the "Lead AI Engineer" for those who would like to know or don't know who said how its function works.

I hope more guys read that post because its been floating around for awhile now and is an important read for those who want to finally know the truth behind what its all about...its as he explained plain and simple just read it.

Holla Back ya'll
Old 09-13-2004, 11:34 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster101
Its amazing how many guys just don't get it, even from the "Lead Progammer" himself...it was in his own words and posted for all to read and still there are some who just don't get it, I read it and he said what he said nobody put words in his mouth and this came from the man himself "Shawn Lee" so it should put to rest all the rumors about its function...but still some guys just don't believe him or maybe are in states of denial or maybe like you said they did not read or missed what "Shawn Lee" said about the EQ function,again it came from the most reliable source you could get, the guy who actually did the progamming..."Mr. Shawn Lee" himself...he would be the "Lead AI Engineer" for those who would like to know or don't know who said how its function works.

I hope more guys read that post because its been floating around for awhile now and is an important read for those who want to finally know the truth behind what its all about...its as he explained plain and simple just read it.

Holla Back ya'll
Thank you for that post Rick.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:15 AM   #15
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
You guys still don't feel me. So here's my simplest example and after that i can't do anymore.

Ok let's take Sega's rating system and use T. Owens as an example.

OK ... Say he's rated 100 and I say "Yes he should be rated 100"
OK ... In real life T.Owens should be rated 100 compared to all other WRs
Argument: What Sega deems as a 100 in the game is more like a 150 in real life.

OK ... I agree T.Owens is a 100 in real life but NOT a 150.
Conclusion: We all seem to agree that Sega's ratings are outta whack. So when they say that a 100 rated player gets marginalized to a 97 or 95 I argue that's what they should have been all along.

People are saying "Well that's what Sega's ratings are and they should be there because obviously that's what they wanted them at and they should be set at"

Well last year their star RB's were rated from the company one thing and WE ALL KNOW they were way outta whack.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the new rosters come out with rating changes to make this game closer to EQ on than what it is now.

I think everyone agrees(even the 2Kx poster) that the ratings are screwed, but your logic is kinda' flawed. Let me explain...

Ask yourself how you KNOW T.O. plays like a 150. Well, because he always dominates his defenders....OK, does he do that 100% of the time, against every defender? If the answer is yes, then obviously there's a problem. Like last years run game, Ricky dominated any defense 100% of the time.

This is much different. T.O. doesn't dominate every snap. He isn't a money reception or score (unless someone is blatantly stupid enough to leave him single-covered). He only seems like a 150 because his "30-something-Consistency-rating" defender plays like shyt so gotdamned often.

Therefor, T.O. doesn't need to be reduced, the DB's need to stop acting so stupid, so frequently. Now to get that DB consistency your'e looking for, are you are willing to completely negate the desparity of talent for every single player? Because that what EQ does..Takes the range from 0-100..down to 0-30 (60-ish to 90-ish) in every category, for every player. Puts even the worst DB is at say Anthony Henry's level(Browns)...But drops the best DB down to Aaron Beasley level..thats not enough desparity for me personally...especially when you're talking making every single player that close to each other.

I certainly don't blame the people using it...I've got my own rating edits and theories as well...but I'm not willing to make every player so similar in ability. Some teams should get their asses cooked.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2004, 12:45 AM   #16
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy
I think everyone agrees(even the 2Kx poster) that the ratings are screwed, but your logic is kinda' flawed. Let me explain...

Ask yourself how you KNOW T.O. plays like a 150. Well, because he always dominates his defenders....OK, does he do that 100% of the time, against every defender? If the answer is yes, then obviously there's a problem. Like last years run game, Ricky dominated any defense 100% of the time.

This is much different. T.O. doesn't dominate every snap. He isn't a money reception or score (unless someone is blatantly stupid enough to leave him single-covered). He only seems like a 150 because his "30-something-Consistency-rating" defender plays like shyt so gotdamned often.

Therefor, T.O. doesn't need to be reduced, the DB's need to stop acting so stupid, so frequently. Now to get that DB consistency your'e looking for, are you are willing to completely negate the desparity of talent for every single player? Because that what EQ does..Takes the range from 0-100..down to 0-30 (60-ish to 90-ish) in every category, for every player. Puts even the worst DB is at say Anthony Henry's level(Browns)...But drops the best DB down to Aaron Beasley level..thats not enough desparity for me personally...especially when you're talking making every single player that close to each other.

I certainly don't blame the people using it...I've got my own rating edits and theories as well...but I'm not willing to make every player so similar in ability. Some teams should get their asses cooked.
Great post Doc I see you've been doing your homework and its just too bad that the games set up with these glaring edits Sega/VC should be checking out what reasearch and findings we've come up with and figured out on our own thru persistant testing and game situtions.

Most of us do concure the edits are somewhat skewed and you and I among a large group of guys know this for a fact thur testing and have for the most part found ways to streamline this game to play out with great results mostly from our own experiences and your "Lab" work.

By the way congates on your post..."The Remedy"....most excellent IMO and should provide a quick fix for gameplay starved gamers like myself.

They should provide relief for guys who want the most in good gameplay and maximize their gaming experience...sad though that Sega/VC pushed us to resort to such extreme measures but it is all worth the effort and as for myself I greatly appreciate the hard work however I'm just not feelin' what "Shawn Lee" has done with the EQ it needs work and we can't fix that it is what it is.

Holla Back ya'll

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »