Home

EQ...explained.

This is a discussion on EQ...explained. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2004, 09:12 PM   #1
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35
EQ...explained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22

The play across the board is just so much more consistent; especially noticeable is the improved play of the DBs and the OL.

There is nothing magical or mystifying about EQ...it simply evens out the ratings, including consistency, across the board.

Consistency is key in this game. No DB has a say 20 rating in coverage right? The vast majority of the DB's are fairly close in cover, speed, and agility ratings. But tons of DB's have a 20 (or below) Consistency, Composure, and Aggressiveness ratings. It causes the low "mentally-rated" players to do "glitchy" animations and make poor decisions. Thats how VC separated the good players from the bad...mentally.

EQ eliminates the low, low, low mentally rated players and increases them to an exceptable level. Like I've said, this doesnt just make everyone rated the same, but it allows teams like the Dolphins, Chargers, and Cards to now enjoy the same mental stability of the Pats, Eagles and Panthers.

The Browns' Chaun Thomson is just as strong as Ray Lewis, just as big (bigger actually), and much faster....but their mental attributes are what separate them as players. EQ makes Chaun Thompson play just as consistently as Ray Ray, makes him less disposed to miss tackles, less disposed to turn the wrong way in coverage, less disposed to get himself out of position...That is the reason why everyone sees so much less gameplay BS.

Hostile17 mentioned Jason Taylor. EQ doesn't prevent Taylor from being fast as hell, or dominant...it just allows an opponents scrub DE to share Taylors consistency and composure. That scrub DE will now not only play better than he should, but he won't make nearly as many mistakes as he should.

EQ is most useful for guys who like to play with scrub teams and not pay the price for the teams mental deficiencies.

The Cardinals performance yesterday illustrates this...Denny G has these guys more FOCUSED, more prepared to make plays, has inspired confidence and a "will to win" in those guys...and it shows on the field.

That level of mental preparation is implemented in 2K5...EQ negates it.

Its a tradeoff...but if it makes your experience better, roll with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2004, 09:58 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: EQ...explained.

hopefully this stops the "EQ makes QB SPY WORk, MAKES the whole game 5000000x better and its like a new game" posts
It'll greatly enhance, but flaws are still in it.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:24 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 6

http://dynamic6.gamespy.com/~nfl2kx/...ead.php?t=8342
Old 09-13-2004, 10:36 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Yep.. All the more reason to stay away from it... Especially those of us in franchise mode.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 28

It's funny how some are so against EQ. I read this article with an open mind. And I made it a point NOT look at anything on the screen but the article. I had my girlfriend (although this can't be substantiated independently) cover everything on the screen but the text of the article. I did it for a point. Since she's a computer engineer as myself, she knew what I wanted her to do. I read it and then I told her, "I bet you somewhere we'll find out he's a Falcons, Eagles, Pats or Ravens fan". I told her to move the papers she had blocking the rest of the screen. Lo and behold he has a Eagles avatar !!!

He states two wrongs don't make a right, however he would rather see somebody get royally screwed than to have a league where people's game play made the difference and not some way outta wack stats. There's enough in EQ stats-wise to make this game all the way SIM. I'm sorry but that article , well I'm not going to expand on it but I will say it lends no credibility to a legitimate debate.

What I like about it? If this eagle owner hits T.O. long and my CB is one on one and trying to catchup I've got one of two options
1) make a desperation attempt to block the pass which is 95% sure not to work
2) Tackle the crap outta T.O. and get a P.I. but at least stop him from a sure TD, at least I hope and even then there's a 25% or greater chance he'll still come up with it and get the TD

That's EQ! That's Football!

With EQ Off

I got one option:
Watch my CB make some stupid play to take himself outta position NO MATTER where he is in relation to T.O.

I played a game the other night in a league I had joined before I saw the light and the things that were going on was just plain stupid. When the season is over they'll either have to change to EQ on or find a new owner. I just can't play that way. I win but it's so stupid. It's not enjoyable at all.

I've been burned so bad with EQ On and I love it. I'll try to force a pass to a reciever who looks like he can make a play and come up with the catch only to get picked off and stand there with my mouth open like "WTF just happen?" Only to look at the replay and say " I tried to force a pass by [insert appropriate defender here] and kick myself for doing something so stupid". Or I'll assign one-on-one on some high powered reciever only to see my man get burned like toast. But EVERY SINGLE PLAY IS BELIEVABLE AND REAL.

We can only hope when the roster updates come out they make the adjustments themselves where we wont have to use EQ but I'm gonna want to know , if they do that, if the new stats are closer to what EQ on is or what EQ off is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2004, 11:09 PM   #6
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Awesome info. Thanks man. Thats silences alot of the speculation and makeshift theories of what EQ actually does being that its an explanation from the Lead AI engineer himself. An abbreviated version was posted a few days ago by LbzRule but it obviously went unnoticed by most.

Last edited by Kanobi; 09-13-2004 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:17 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

I am a Dallas Cowboy fan.. Yikes I know.. And just think the ratings are there for a reason and to only try to level them out just takes away from the super stars. TO torched the Giants yesterday cause he is just that good.. You can argue the ratings are whacked in cases, but ok.. But dont try to level the entire league

I always thought what it would be like to go back and control a guy like Lawerence Taylor, Barry Sanders, or Jim Brown. Those guys are hall of famers for a reason and I wouldnt want some arbitrary leveling making them play less to their superstardom or other around them playing better. Maybe we should just hope there were no Barry Bonds, Gretzkys, Babe Ruth, etc.. But thats what makes the games great and those players worth watching..

Now if only Dallas had a few...
Old 09-13-2004, 11:19 PM   #8
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
It's funny how some are so against EQ. I read this article with an open mind. And I made it a point NOT look at anything on the screen but the article. I had my girlfriend (although this can't be substantiated independently) cover everything on the screen but the text of the article. I did it for a point. Since she's a computer engineer as myself, she knew what I wanted her to do. I read it and then I told her, "I bet you somewhere we'll find out he's a Falcons, Eagles, Pats or Ravens fan". I told her to move the papers she had blocking the rest of the screen. Lo and behold he has a Eagles avatar !!!

He states two wrongs don't make a right, however he would rather see somebody get royally screwed than to have a league where people's game play made the difference and not some way outta wack stats. There's enough in EQ stats-wise to make this game all the way SIM. I'm sorry but that article , well I'm not going to expand on it but I will say it lends no credibility to a legitimate debate.

What I like about it? If this eagle owner hits T.O. long and my CB is one on one and trying to catchup I've got one of two options
1) make a desperation attempt to block the pass which is 95% sure not to work
2) Tackle the crap outta T.O. and get a P.I. but at least stop him from a sure TD, at least I hope and even then there's a 25% or greater chance he'll still come up with it and get the TD

That's EQ! That's Football!

With EQ Off

I got one option:
Watch my CB make some stupid play to take himself outta position NO MATTER where he is in relation to T.O.

I played a game the other night in a league I had joined before I saw the light and the things that were going on was just plain stupid. When the season is over they'll either have to change to EQ on or find a new owner. I just can't play that way. I win but it's so stupid. It's not enjoyable at all.

I've been burned so bad with EQ On and I love it. I'll try to force a pass to a reciever who looks like he can make a play and come up with the catch only to get picked off and stand there with my mouth open like "WTF just happen?" Only to look at the replay and say " I tried to force a pass by [insert appropriate defender here] and kick myself for doing something so stupid". Or I'll assign one-on-one on some high powered reciever only to see my man get burned like toast. But EVERY SINGLE PLAY IS BELIEVABLE AND REAL.

We can only hope when the roster updates come out they make the adjustments themselves where we wont have to use EQ but I'm gonna want to know , if they do that, if the new stats are closer to what EQ on is or what EQ off is.

Yeah I read that artical, and there are some things that don't jibe. I've been down a score late in a Dolphins franchise game and told a friend who was watching me play to "watch this". With about a minute left I picked the "double cross" play and faded back and just lofted the ball up for Boston. 30 yard gain. He was like "damn, good play"...I said "nah, its comeback AI watch"...called the same play and again just tapped the throw button for a nice deep throw and Boston made the catch AGAIN. another 30+ yard gain. Rinse, repeat, score. There is catch up or "momentum" logic in this game...I don't care what anyone says. Its why composure stats are in place.

That being said, I see EQ as merely a way to aleviate online frustration due to glitchy O-line and DB play. Its been said a ton of times that increasing the consistency and composure significantly improve the gameplay...and EQ does that. However, there are many facets of the game that DON'T require balancing, and there's no way to separately EQ the positions that need it instead of the positions that don't.

Plus, I strictly want improvement for my goofy, weak players...not a reduction in ratings on my great ones.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »