Home

The draft is broken in franchise mode ..right???

This is a discussion on The draft is broken in franchise mode ..right??? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2004, 11:52 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: The draft is broken in franchise mode ..right???

People call the Maddenites fanboys. V.C. fanboys are worse. Bas's post didn't have opinions about the game. Everything he said was fact. The game has major problems and the fanboys are in denial. Anytime you bring up the problem with corrupted files, there's somebody who says my game works great, I guess I got the only good disc. There are still VC fanboys that swear the QB spy works. The strongest arm in the game can only throw 45 yards. Eddie George is faster than Priet Holmes. Brian Westbrook is stronger than Jamal Lewis. The player progression is too sporadic. Too easy to pass, even on legend. When a QB runs, thCPU gets brain freeze. I don't know how VC can get so many big things right and srew up on so many little things that just make the game annoying to play.

And anybody who'll admit these problems have the same things to say. Either they had short development time or it was only $20. But I guess they couldn't just come out and tell us the game is $20 for a reason. You really do get what you pay for.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:07 AM   #18
Cr*m*n*lly *nd*rr*t*d

LetsGoPitt's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylentKnyt
People call the Maddenites fanboys. V.C. fanboys are worse. Bas's post didn't have opinions about the game. Everything he said was fact. The game has major problems and the fanboys are in denial. Anytime you bring up the problem with corrupted files, there's somebody who says my game works great, I guess I got the only good disc. There are still VC fanboys that swear the QB spy works. The strongest arm in the game can only throw 45 yards. Eddie George is faster than Priet Holmes. Brian Westbrook is stronger than Jamal Lewis. The player progression is too sporadic. Too easy to pass, even on legend. When a QB runs, thCPU gets brain freeze. I don't know how VC can get so many big things right and srew up on so many little things that just make the game annoying to play.

And anybody who'll admit these problems have the same things to say. Either they had short development time or it was only $20. But I guess they couldn't just come out and tell us the game is $20 for a reason. You really do get what you pay for.
So why don't you just go hang out in the Madden forum? You can talk about the game you think is better, and not have to deal with a "flawed" game that has the "fanboys in denial" I agree with you on a few points, namely that the QBs arms are a bit weak (though how many 50+ yard passes are completed by one team a year? -- in real life, not Madden) Most (and before you dispute, go back and read the word MOST) big gains are from RAC yards, not from super-deep throws.

The progression is sporadic? From my experience, if you actually think about what you are doing when you do your weekly prep, it works fine. If you do the same thing over and over, well, that's different. Just because one prep gave your guy +6 one week doesn't mean it will the next week. That's how life really works.

This is not a game without flaws, but it is also the best game of football on the market right now, and I've been a Madden player since Madden '97.

So again, my suggestion is go over to the Madden forum and stop making pointless posts. It's basically the same old Coke/Pepsi argument. It's all a matter of taste.
“In my lifetime, we've gone from Eisenhower to George W. Bush. We've gone from John F. Kennedy to Al Gore. If this is evolution, I believe that in twelve years, we'll be voting for plants.” - Lewis Black
Old 09-24-2004, 12:24 AM   #19
Rookie

Who said anything about Madden? I paid $20 for a screwed up ESPN game. Why would I post that in the Madden forum. What I have to say belongs right here. This is the best game on the market right now. It's all a matter of taste. That makes perfect sense. Why don't you go to the Madden board and spread ESPN bliss. I'm fine right where I am.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:39 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 10

IMO the draft isn't perfect but not broken. I get tired of reading where people cry about something they don't have control over. All I care about are the players I draft and could care less about what the other 31 teams do unless they grabbed a player I scouted. If a team wants 7 runningbacks so what. I've seen every position taken in th first round. So if a team wants a kicker in the first round it won't be the first time for that to ever happen.

I actually like the draft part of the game now because VC has made it a lot easier to get good players. In years past you would get lucky to find anything during your franchise and now if you do a good job scouting you can find some really good sleeper picks. They also progress better too. I've found player who jump 10 to 15 points in their ratings in their rookie season.

Oh yeah ESPN NFL2k5 is meant to be played not simmed. I thought people would've figured that out by now. I never read in any manual or document from VC saying 2K5 was a perfect simulation of the NFL.

Last edited by sportsgeist; 09-24-2004 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:54 AM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeist
Oh yeah ESPN NFL2k5 (insert Madden apologist comment = "Madden 2005") is meant to be played not simmed. I thought people would've figured that out by now. I never read in any manual or document from VC saying 2K5 was a perfect simulation of the NFL.
Just to use as an example... It's divided board comments like that that gives VC and EArrogance no consideration to improve their product, unless there's a drastic case of neglect (ala Triple Play series and the new developer for next year's Sega World Series franchise).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2004, 03:36 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
I actually like the draft part of the game now because VC has made it a lot easier to get good players.
Sure... go ahead and pick that HB or QB in Round 1, 'cause you know that WR will be available in round 2. Who wouldn't like that?
Quote:
I've seen every position taken in th first round. They also progress better too.
Wow... you got the ONE working disk! Can I borrow that?
Quote:
Oh yeah ESPN NFL2k5 is meant to be played not simmed. I thought people would've figured that out by now. I never read in any manual or document from VC saying 2K5 was a perfect simulation of the NFL.
I thought people would have tried simming some seasons and taking a close look at the results by now. VC specifically progammed the game and player ratings so they work when games are simmed - sim stats, with the exception of a few things like INT's, are very accurate. Now PLAY some games, CPU vs CPU. No, one doesn't get 57% completion ratings for QB's like the simmed games - more like 32%. No, one doesn't get 5.4 yards per carry averages for the HB's like the simmed games - more like 1.8.

Let me make this clear: VC programmed the game and player ratings to ensure the sim engine worked. In the process they messed up CPU/Coach mode play. Apparently, they were attempting to create a perfect CPU sim engine game, and not a perfect game play simulation.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:20 AM   #23
Rookie

Wow, I’m sorry I started such an aggravating thread. My only purpose was to get a feel for how some of the franchises are going before I start my own. I apologize guys.

As far as football gaming goes this year I think it has been one big let down. Unfortunately Madden and ESPN both failed to deliver a totally football experience. What I mean when I say this is each game gives you something great but at the same times you lose something important. I’m sure these things are different for everyone as far as what is lost and what is great but I’m certain most of you would agree with the basic idea of what I’m getting at. Just play them both and maybe you’ll see what I mean.

As for myself I’m just trying to enjoy theses football titles but everyday it is really aggravating me trying to understand how and why these games just came up short this year. With all the hype prior to their release I was really expecting a lot more but I got a lot more of nothing!! Ah, what ya gonna do, that’s the brakes maybe next year they'll get it right. However, I know one thing is for sure, next year will be the first year that I rent these footballs titles before I buy them rather then just buying them based on my love for football.

Last edited by bosssplat; 09-24-2004 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:19 AM   #24
MVP

jpup's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosssplat
Wow, I’m sorry I started such an aggravating thread. My only purpose was to get a feel for how some of the franchises are going before I start my own. I apologize guys.

As far as football gaming goes this year I think it has been one big let down. Unfortunately Madden and ESPN both failed to deliver a totally football experience. What I mean when I say this is each game gives you something great but at the same times you lose something important. I’m sure these things are different for everyone as far as what is lost and what is great but I’m certain most of you would agree with the basic idea of what I’m getting at. Just play them both and maybe you’ll see what I mean.

As for myself I’m just trying to enjoy theses football titles but everyday it is really aggravating me trying to understand how and why these games just came up short this year. With all the hype prior to their release I was really expecting a lot more but I got a lot more of nothing!! Ah, what ya gonna do, that’s the brakes maybe next year they'll get it right. However, I know one thing is for sure, next year will be the first year that I rent these footballs titles before I buy them rather then just buying them based on my love for football.

i almost totally agreee with your post. both of the games are huge letdowns. i love playing sports games and for the most part, those are the only types of games that I will play except for an occasional rental in another genre. I am sick and tired of wasting money on a game that I can only play for a few weeks because of the laziness of the gaming companies. This is the first year that I am totally done with football games before the actual NFL season has ended. Yes, I am moving on to the NBA games and I hope I don't get burned again. It's just frustrating that we get so hyped for these games and spend our hard earned money on them only to not get what we are told.

I one word to some up the sports genre over the past couple of years...dissapointing.

Maybe we just expect too much?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »