Home

Guys i am trying hard to love this game but...

This is a discussion on Guys i am trying hard to love this game but... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2004, 07:06 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 5
Guys i am trying hard to love this game but...

i hate the defensive back play in this game. the db's are always taking bad directions towards the ball and when i press y to defend the pass the player goes the other way. i always give up at least 300 yards passingn and its getting me mad as hell. receivers have 180 yards receiving on 3 catches only. i even let the cpu play db for me and they dont attempt to make a play. i love everything about this game but that is a huge game killer for me. madden made there game defensive this year and it seems that espn took their great sim into an offensive game now. i hate offense i love defense and 17-14 games i am always getting 40-37 games. i have tried everybodies sliders and nothing helpts the pass defense. i have gotten the sliders down perfect so that the cpu plays good defense on me but i cant stop the pass for ****... please help i want to love the game and not return it...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2004, 07:17 PM   #2
Rookie

Jeff8275's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Guys i am trying hard to love this game but...

Have you tried adjusting the sliders any? I have made my own adjustments and I'm lovin' this game. This afternoon before work I played a game in my Jets franchise and beat Baltimore 16-13 on a last second field goal. Also, I have games like this constantly unless I'm playing an obviously inferior team. I've had the game since release so I've had the time to really tweak the sliders and get them perfect. Also what type of game do you play, I mean do you throw alot? run the ball? eat the clock? balanced offense? It all obviously makes a difference, as well as how many minutes a quarter you play. I think somewhere between 6-8 minutes a quarter is perfect.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:25 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff8275
Have you tried adjusting the sliders any? I have made my own adjustments and I'm lovin' this game. This afternoon before work I played a game in my Jets franchise and beat Baltimore 16-13 on a last second field goal. Also, I have games like this constantly unless I'm playing an obviously inferior team. I've had the game since release so I've had the time to really tweak the sliders and get them perfect. Also what type of game do you play, I mean do you throw alot? run the ball? eat the clock? balanced offense? It all obviously makes a difference, as well as how many minutes a quarter you play. I think somewhere between 6-8 minutes a quarter is perfect.

well i love to run the ball and throw when i am down or on 3rd and long. i use the giants but i want a correct set of plays ran for each team. the average is 60 plays both teams. and i get that with my 8 min quarters but the scores are all high. i have the cpu coverag maxed out and their pursuit maxed out and their tackle maxed out. also for me to cuz i max out all the defensive sliders and put the offensensive slieders down a bit for both sides but they can stop me at a realistic rate. but i can stop their run and but they pass on me all day cuz my corner take bad angles and its impossible for me to play with a corner cuz i am right there to knock the ball and i press y to defend the pass and the corner swats at the ball the other way. its just so retarted.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:32 PM   #4
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17

sometimes your only option is to get better personnel or call plays that fit your team. the other thing is to put pressure on the QB. when you do that the passes are more off line and it is easier for your DB's.

i am a san diego fan in real life and they need these adjustments too.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:35 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

I use an early set of Jistic's All-Pro sliders and i get some pretty good games. I am currently 8-6 with the Lions and have some nice wins against teams like the Colts, but i also got crushed by the Packers the next week.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2004, 10:15 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

You didn't mention what kind of defense you run. Do you blitz every down? Do you play bump and run? Man coverage? Cover 2?

Cornerbacks aren't perfect. Help them out with some cover 2 so your safeties can help defend over the top. Blitz or stunt to hurry the QB but pick and choose when you do it. Mix it up with corner and safety blitzes.

I give up a long play due to an animation glitch every once in a while (CB turns the wrong way) but it's not that common. Try taking control of the closest defender not long after the QB releases the pass, and when you press Y leave the analog stick centered. That should keep your defender from strafing wildly in a different direction.

It can get frustrating at times, but just analyze it like a real game. Don't just guess coverages, pick the ones that are most effective. And if you are getting dominated by one receiver, double team them and take them out of the picture. I had a game against STL where Holt torched me for 150 yards in the first half and 3 TDs. Bulger had 250 yards passing. I adjusted at halftime and in the second half I played mainly cover 2 man and double teamed Holt. Since Holt wasn't getting open, Bulger held onto the ball much longer and I was able to get tons of pressure on him. I held Holt to 1 catch in the second half and Bulger didn't even get 300 yards for the day.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:41 PM   #7
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

One thing that lowers bad plays on balls is Performance EQ. It doesnt make the game easier. Usually really good teams players are way overated.. Bad teams are way underated.. So it levels them off.. 80 being the common denominator.. It works like so.. a 50 rated player becomes a 65... 70 rated player becomes a 75....90 rated player becomes a 85...what really is amazing to me is how the Defence reacts to balls in the air.. yes they make mistakes.. but you never see the slo *** reactions or bugs that plague the regular game.. you will still see from time to time a DB try to pick it and miss.. BUT not at the regularity with performance EQ off.. Trust me its the way to play.. two players or the comp.. Performance EQ
Old 10-05-2004, 11:54 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

dude the cpu dbs are dum and faulty as hell. like you said a pass is thrown to the right of them yet they wiill put thier left hand up and go towards the opppsite way of the ball and im like" where are u going. balls that away!!!". ive seen this many times on the highest difficulty very frequently. go straight to ur replays and ull see it for urself when ther is a pass for like 20 yards so or when there is a big pass play ull see that its some faulty dbs and the way they try to defend the pass. ands it so easy to sack in the game, choose ur de and sppeed burst ur way around the tackle and rack urself some saks. when i saw this crap in the first week i had the game i gave it right back.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »