Home

How good is the franchise mode in this game?

This is a discussion on How good is the franchise mode in this game? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
How good is the franchise mode in this game?

Never played this game and wondering how it compares to madden as far as franchise mode. Like do too many qbs get drafted in the first round or is it more realistic? How about the sim engine? realistic stats? Also too many great free agents during the regular season?

Also how is this games gameplay? Like are underneath routes too easy to complete like in madden? Been playing madden 09s and the franchise mode stinks so im hoping 2k5s is better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: How good is the franchise mode in this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantgetright69
Never played this game and wondering how it compares to madden as far as franchise mode. Like do too many qbs get drafted in the first round or is it more realistic? How about the sim engine? realistic stats? Also too many great free agents during the regular season?

Also how is this games gameplay? Like are underneath routes too easy to complete like in madden? Been playing madden 09s and the franchise mode stinks so im hoping 2k5s is better.
First, welcome to the 2K5 forums.

As much as I despise Madden, I have to give it credit in regards to franchise/owner mode. Of course, im going by the last Madden which had Shaun Alexander on the cover and it was for PS2/Xbox/GC. I love all the off-season stuff and even Owner Mode in Madden but I never liked the gameplay at all which is why I stayed with 2K5.

2k5's franchise mode is solid but the flaws and problems prevent it from being good to great but if you will be using FINN's editor in order to control all 32 teams during the off-season or at the very least, the Draft, then you can minimize the flaws and problems.

Here's a quick rundown -

Retirement Period - You'll see players retire at season's end and you'll have a chance to re-sign them back for one year. I always liked this option but because 2K5 was the last one, this idea was never expanded like I was hoping. Nothing bad here and if a player you want to sign out of retirement says no, theres a trick around that problem that I have posted somewhere.

Resigning Period - Basically, you can just resign your own FA's or let them leave.

Free Agent Wire - This is good but more times than not, the CPU's signings dont make any sense. Smart thing to do is control all 32 teams and make good signings for each team including your own. There's also a trick that allows you to pay players less money after they accept your offer which is cheating but oh well.

NFL Combine - This is good but should have been expanded on but sadly, 2K5 was the last one so who knows if VC ever was going to do so.

NFL Draft - This is flawed because the CPU only drafts four positions in the first round no matter what. Those four positions are QB, RB, OT and DE. This in my opinion ruins the Draft and the off-season as a whole but you can get around it by using FINN's editor to control all 32 teams.

Rookie Signing Period - Sign your rookies.

After rookie signing is the pre-season. The player progression is all pre-programmed which is a huge negative.

Theres also a feature called Weekly Prep that can be used to increase player attributes and ratings for the upcoming game but resets after each week. Theres a certain formula that works like a charm for those who are into WP. I personally dont like it because its just menu after menu and I dont have the patience or interest in it whatsoever.

The main reason why people like me still play 2K5 over Madden is for the gameplay, presentation, visuals and commentary. While there are those who enjoy 2K5's franchise mode, I must admit that im not one of them and would prefer to play 2K3 which has the same franchise mode but doesnt have the flaws and problems that plague 2K5's franchise mode.

In regards to your other questions -

I keep the simulating at 5 minute quarters which seems to give the best and most realistic stats. During the season, there are some stupid trades by the CPU but they can be avoided by using FINN's editor to either control all 32 teams or by removing the players from the trading block which will prevent the CPU from completing trades. There's not really an major FA's during the season but the Free Agent Wire is random.

The gameplay is what makes 2K5 superior in my opinion. Sure, there are a few minor problems here and there but nothing major that will prevent you from enjoying the game once you get used to the controls and how it plays. Difficulty varies depending on difficulty level, slider set, team ratings, global edits, etc.

I only play on Legend as is and while updating VC's final 2004 roster into what I want it to be and making every team play more like they did in 2004, I have played six exhibition games going 3-3.

Using the Packers, I won 21-14 over the Chargers in SD and beat the Colts in Indy 37-31 which was an OT classic in which neither me nor the CPU had more than a 7 point lead at any time throughout the game. The team ratings really came into play here as I have GB and Indy rated 98 on offense but defensively are 72 and 75 respectively. Manning torched me for over 300 yards and 4 TD's while I passed for over 300 yards with 3 TD's and an INT with Favre. I also rushed for over 100 yards with Ahman Green including an awesome 72 yard TD run up the middle on a missed blitz by Indy.

I also played three exhibition games with the Eagles and lost 24-21 to the Bills in BUF despite Bledsoe throwing four INT's. Lost to the Ravens 24-14 in Baltimore and lost 24-21 to the Bucs in TB even though I scored a TD with under a minute left in regulation.

And earlier today, I played as the Colts beating the Panthers in CAR with a game ending game winning FG 24-21. I passed for almost 400 yards with Manning and 3 TD's but also threw 4 INT's which should have cost me more than it did but Delhomme threw 2 INT's in the 4th quarter which allowed me to tie the game at 21 and then win it with a FG.

Thus far, I havent had a blowout win which for me is rare but I believe having every team's offensive and defensive ratings realistic to what it was for that season makes the game far more challenging and realistic.

Of course, there are several different rosters available in the rosters section and numerous slider sets as well. It's all about finding whats right for you in terms of what you're looking for in the gameplay.

And franchise mode games are tougher than exhibition games are especially since you'll have to account for the random wind and weather. For example, I remember playing the 2005 season with the Eagles and for the life of me, could never beat the Raiders in Philly early in the season. My record was like 2-5 or worse as I dont remember exactly.

2K5 also has its fair share of "cheap" plays but aside from me running with McNabb for a critical first down, I pretty much stay away from all the others.

And give this topic a few days as im sure that you'll get many more responses.

Last edited by dan77733; 01-15-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
Free Agent Wire - This is good but more times than not, the CPU's signings dont make any sense. Smart thing to do is control all 32 teams and make good signings for each team including your own.
NFL Draft - This is flawed because the CPU only drafts four positions in the first round no matter what. Those four positions are QB, RB, OT and DE. This in my opinion ruins the Draft and the off-season as a whole but you can get around it by using FINN's editor to control all 32 teams
i just dont understand this juxtaposition-- how can you enjoy or be okay w/ handling F/A for all CPU teams but a small flaw the draft ruins the whole offseason??

the easy solution to the draft problem is just so simple-- merely join the CPU teams & only draft from those 4 positions in the first round... it's as easy as "not" defaulting to a money play in the clutch of any sports sim to assure a win
^all forms of AI have flaws. if you are using said AI for entertainment, simply do not exploit these flaws. problem solved.
Quote:
After rookie signing is the pre-season. The player progression is all pre-programmed which is a huge negative.
i actually love that stats don't dictate progression. just b/c a guy has a great season statistically doesnt mean he has become a better player (ie Derek Anderson 2007, JP Losman 2006). I only wish prog was random & not fixed to each player, but at least Finn's editor allows you to "move" progression around among players so as to randomize it in practice

Last edited by puja21; 01-15-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733

This is what caused me to sell 2k5 after about two weeks after I bought it in 04. It really leaves no incentive to perform above and beyond with a 80 OVR player that isn't pre-programmed to level up. (Brian Westbrook is always a 98 after the first season).

If you are looking for a great Franchise Experience in an old game, Madden 2005 beats 2k5 hands down.

Although, I doubt you will have the same amount of community support for Madden 2005 that you will have here. The loyal 2K5ers are a nice bunch of hardcore football simmers and typically seem to be a bit more mature than the Madden Nation.

Last edited by marktg30; 01-15-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
i just dont understand this juxtaposition-- how can you enjoy or be okay w/ handling F/A for all CPU teams but a small flaw the draft ruins the whole offseason??

the easy solution to the draft problem is just so simple-- merely join the CPU teams & only draft from those 4 positions in the first round... it's as easy as "not" defaulting to a money play in the clutch of any sports sim to assure a win
^all forms of AI have flaws. if you are using said AI for entertainment, simply do not exploit these flaws. problem solved.
I only play one season anyway so the entire off-season is non-existent for me. I dont control all 32 teams period. I was just posting what I have read others do. The Draft flaw is a HUGE one and why should I draft a QB, RB, OT or DE if I dont need or want one???

The Draft flaw as well as other flaws in the off-season make it unjoyable for me and more of a chore than a pleasure. I dont use "money" plays which im sure involves "hot routes" which I have turned off.

All AI have flaws but that doesnt mean that I should have restrictions that make no sense just because VC didnt test out the game long enough to find and solve these flaws.

Sorry bud but I dont agree with you here at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

You could (if playing out a franchise) draft for each of the CPU teams the first couple rounds and then switch back. You'd have to be equitable though, which may be tough for some people.

I am thinking about doing this with whomever's 2008 file I end up playing someday.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 29

All I can say is that 2k5 is no good for franchise mode.

But it's great for exhibition/quick games with updated rosters. That's the only way I play.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
Pro

clarkerots's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
This is what caused me to sell 2k5 after about two weeks after I bought it in 04. It really leaves no incentive to perform above and beyond with a 80 OVR player that isn't pre-programmed to level up. (Brian Westbrook is always a 98 after the first season).

If you are looking for a great Franchise Experience in an old game, Madden 2005 beats 2k5 hands down.

Although, I doubt you will have the same amount of community support for Madden 2005 that you will have here. The loyal 2K5ers are a nice bunch of hardcore football simmers and typically seem to be a bit more mature than the Madden Nation.
I've actually been torn between this for a while. 2K5 has superior gameplay, period. Although with the 2005 Manifesto, a lot of the negatives of Madden's gameplay were eliminated. From a Franchise perspective, I think Madden 05 beats 2K5 hands down. To each their own. However, to answer the OP, it really caters to what you're most interested in. If you're really looking for great gameplay, presentation, and cool little things like a player being out a game for food poisoning without needing to fire coaches and relocate teams, then 2K5 is for you. If you want gameplay that's decent with an accelerated clock, want to fire coaches, relocate teams, and player attitudes affecting performance without needing pass interference, non-existent turbo DB's, and mario running then Madden05 may be your better bet.

PS The Manifesto's first step is to control all 32 teams. Since then, that has been my standard way to play regardless. So keep in mind that this opinion is from someone who controls all 32 teams all the time. If you're looking to just control your team, then this opinion won't do much for you. Good luck.

Last edited by clarkerots; 01-16-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Poor English HA

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »