Home

Issues/Concerns with the OSCD Roster

This is a discussion on Issues/Concerns with the OSCD Roster within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Issues/Concerns with the OSCD Roster

First off...I just want to thank all those who participated in the OSCD Roster and for all of the time and hard work they vested into the project. Secondly...I regret that I found about this project too late for I personally think I could have been a great help.

Anyways...the following is in no way...an insult to those involved into the Project. It's just my opinion that...nobody knows a team better...than the die-hard fan that roots for them. I'm sure that the aforementioned community members did their research in determining what they thought was a good solid rating. I'm also pretty sure that there were just not enough people involved to do an OSCD Roster that I would have loved to see...a roster that would have enabled each person to focus entirely on one team.

With that said...I have issues with some of the ratings. More specifically the Chargers...which is my team. I know that your sources for the ratings are valid and come from a respected source but usually...the general consensus of fans knows what they're talking about when it comes to their own teams. If they are anything like me...they frequent a few message boards of their teams...looking for articles or anything on the internet that has anything associated with their team. So they read what the so-called experts say...in addition to all the games that they watch.

Case in point...an example of an issue I have is the rating for OLB Shaun Phillips. He's not a starter and although he is overshadowed but a more talented OLB in Shawne Merriman...it is known throughout the Chargers Fan Community that Phillips is actually a better pash rusher than Merriman...and his pass rushing rating should reflect that. Overall tho...he shouldn't be rated higher than Merriman for he doesn't have all the measurables that Merriman does...he just has a knack for rushing the passer.

I also have concerns with speed ratings. Randall Godfrey is a bruising run stopper...whereas Donnie Edwards is more of a smaller finesse cover guy. He actually has the size to play safety. So...his speed rating shouldn't be lower than Godfrey who is actually a little long in the tooth anyways. Stephen Cooper is a player who fits more of the mode of Edwards than Godfrey so his speed rating should be higher too. There are others of course...but to make my point...thanks for all of your guys' input in this Roster. I commend you for your efforts. I'm sure most teams are actually pretty spot on...but the homer in me...thinks my team could be edited a lil' more accurately. Without taking anything away from your efforts and hard work...I wish that every "fan" would take a stab at editing their team...IMHO...that would make ratings more accurate...or at least showcase players' strengths and weaknesses more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 16
Re: Issues/Concerns with the OSCD Roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayoD
First off...I just want to thank all those who participated in the OSCD Roster and for all of the time and hard work they vested into the project. Secondly...I regret that I found about this project too late for I personally think I could have been a great help.

Anyways...the following is in no way...an insult to those involved into the Project. It's just my opinion that...nobody knows a team better...than the die-hard fan that roots for them. I'm sure that the aforementioned community members did their research in determining what they thought was a good solid rating. I'm also pretty sure that there were just not enough people involved to do an OSCD Roster that I would have loved to see...a roster that would have enabled each person to focus entirely on one team.

With that said...I have issues with some of the ratings. More specifically the Chargers...which is my team. I know that your sources for the ratings are valid and come from a respected source but usually...the general consensus of fans knows what they're talking about when it comes to their own teams. If they are anything like me...they frequent a few message boards of their teams...looking for articles or anything on the internet that has anything associated with their team. So they read what the so-called experts say...in addition to all the games that they watch.

Case in point...an example of an issue I have is the rating for OLB Shaun Phillips. He's not a starter and although he is overshadowed but a more talented OLB in Shawne Merriman...it is known throughout the Chargers Fan Community that Phillips is actually a better pash rusher than Merriman...and his pass rushing rating should reflect that. Overall tho...he shouldn't be rated higher than Merriman for he doesn't have all the measurables that Merriman does...he just has a knack for rushing the passer.

I also have concerns with speed ratings. Randall Godfrey is a bruising run stopper...whereas Donnie Edwards is more of a smaller finesse cover guy. He actually has the size to play safety. So...his speed rating shouldn't be lower than Godfrey who is actually a little long in the tooth anyways. Stephen Cooper is a player who fits more of the mode of Edwards than Godfrey so his speed rating should be higher too. There are others of course...but to make my point...thanks for all of your guys' input in this Roster. I commend you for your efforts. I'm sure most teams are actually pretty spot on...but the homer in me...thinks my team could be edited a lil' more accurately. Without taking anything away from your efforts and hard work...I wish that every "fan" would take a stab at editing their team...IMHO...that would make ratings more accurate...or at least showcase players' strengths and weaknesses more.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayoD
I wish that every "fan" would take a stab at editing their team...IMHO...that would make ratings more accurate...or at least showcase players' strengths and weaknesses more.
Or it could be a terrible debacle....... fans can sometimes have a way of overinflating what their team is all about. Thorough roster makers try to let the recent stats dictate ratings.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:16 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactraxx
You know...I wish people would actually come up with some type of intellectual reply...instead of stupid ish like this. If you feel that way...why don't you speak your mind?

If someone comes in...and tries to put in their $.02 and comes up with something that obviously took some actual consideration...proper etiquette dictates that you should do the same in the reply. Didn't your momma raise you with any respect?

Last edited by JayoD; 07-12-2006 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:21 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
Or it could be a terrible debacle....... fans can sometimes have a way of overinflating what their team is all about. Thorough roster makers try to let the recent stats dictate ratings.
Well...it's a Community Roster...ultimately there is going to be an overruling if deemed necessary....or just a compromise between conflicting parties.

How about I rephrase it?

"I wish that every reasonable "fan" would take a unbiased stab at editing their team...IMHO...that would make ratings more accurate...or at least showcase players' strengths and weaknesses more."

I mean...I'm a huge Charger fan but in no way do I have Shawne Merriman rated as the best OLB in the game. Nor is Rivers rated higher than Eli or Big Ben.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2006, 12:17 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 16

[/quote]

.......Really sorry to have "offended" you...Im sorry.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:16 AM   #7
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys

Thanx Daflyboy I personally like your reply and can only agree with it for the most part, if you (JayoD) have a different prespective on how the ratings should be applied then by all means apply them as your personel point of view and adjust the team or players as you deem necessary based on your own analysis, we've done a great job no doubt but we can't please everyones wants or needs we only provide the rosters based on what we've researched and judged to be true then we post them and let you the fan do the rest.

No offense but this topic has already been addressed and its been awhile since anyones really had anything to say on the matter my best estimate tells me that some very bright fans have already figured this out and find it easy to applie their own rating based on ours so its a simply a matter of just applying what you know to be accurate because you probably know your teams player personel better then we do and thats ok because in the long run as you know the NFL is full of surprises just look at the players who've found success starting out as unknows and have contributed to their teams.

Names like Brady, Parker, Gado and Rothlisberger come to mind sometimes you just can't tell and as in the NFL some blue chip players rise to the top of the class and stand out above the rest in the video game representation you have the option to make adjustments and applie a "Do Over" if you're not satisfied with what we've presented its as simply as that bro but we try to get them right not perfect and we realize many may not agree we're comfrotable with that and have no real problems with it.

Thanx for you post JayoD and we do understand what you're implying but after so many different versions its almost a given on what to expect from us following "Standards" we've laid out a looong time ago in keeping this series going at this point we do try to maintain a certain roster Integrity and plan on keeping it up as long as theres a fan interest in the 2K series thats why I keep on doing what I do...ya feelin' me?

Holla Back ya'll
Rickster101 aka "Jack Bauer"
Old 07-13-2006, 01:38 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster101
because you probably know your teams player personel better then we do

Holla Back ya'll
Rickster101 aka "Jack Bauer"
That's the point that I was trying to make. The fans know their teams inside and out. I mean...I'm sure you guys have done some really extensive research...but when it comes to my team...I can recall virtually every and anything about my team.

Like I said...I appreciate and commend all of you guys' efforts. Hell...I might steal ratings and attributes from the OSCD Roster when it comes to certain teams...cuz although I feel I'm pretty knowledgeable...I certainly don't know every team out there inside and out.

Last edited by JayoD; 07-13-2006 at 01:40 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »