Home

Are there any rosters for PS2?

This is a discussion on Are there any rosters for PS2? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
MVP

grismosw's Arena

OVR: 15
Are there any rosters for PS2?

I've looked through about a dozen of the posts and none of them are for PS2, is there any?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Rookie

tpaterniti's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Are there any rosters for PS2?

Me. Mail me a memory card in a padded mailer (the best way) or I can send you a file for AR Max ([email protected]) along with an MS Excel spreadsheet with all the significant ratings. No cost for either. I can give you references if you need, but most people are very pleased with my rosters and my ratings. I have spent like 500+ hours on PS2 updates over the last 2 years and that is no exaggeration.

Thomas Paterniti
1555 Delaney Drive Apt 1218
Tallahassee, FL 32309

www.2kfootballstrategy.com

Last edited by tpaterniti; 01-24-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 10

I'm actually interested also. I have a few questions though. Are the players 'edited?" In other words, do you make some of the same changes to attributes (DB's, etc.) as in the other rosters to make the game play a little more realistic? And do you have any slider sets that work best with your roster?
Old 01-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaterniti
Me. Mail me a memory card in a padded mailer (the best way) or I can send you a file for AR Max ([email protected]) along with an MS Excel spreadsheet with all the significant ratings. No cost for either. I can give you references if you need, but most people are very pleased with my rosters and my ratings. I have spent like 500+ hours on PS2 updates over the last 2 years and that is no exaggeration.

Thomas Paterniti
Tallahassee, FL 32309
Well can u post the file?
Old 01-28-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
All Star

RockyTop1's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

Thomas Paterniti
Tallahassee, FL 32309
No offense, but if you say no cost for either, why don't you just upload your file?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
Rookie

tpaterniti's Arena

OK, I will. I actually already have twice. The posts are just old. It is easier to do it through the mail, and I can't upload a file to someone else's post, I have to start a new post. So I will post a link once I do.
That is what I meant when I said it was easier to do it through the mail.

http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...59#post2906259

I do email it. Sometimes it is just easier through the mail because then you get exactly what you want, and some people don't want to pay $40 for an AR max for just one game. But I am not trying to swindle anyone out of their memory card. I have done many, many mail transactions over the last 2 years. But certainly, if you can get it through AR max online, then that is great too. Everytime I go to one of these message boards and download a zipped file that is supposed to have an AR max roster, when I extract it there is no .max file inside. This has happened to me 7 or 8 times. I have no idea why. Maybe people are trying to use Finn's for PS2 (which is impossible). I don't know. But I have only gotten an AR Max file to work once online and that was the one I downloaded yesterday. Very frustrating.

Last edited by tpaterniti; 01-28-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
All Star

RockyTop1's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
OK, I will. I actually already have twice. The posts are just old. It is easier to do it through the mail, and I can't upload a file to someone else's post, I have to start a new post. So I will post a link once I do.
sweet. Great idea. If you can't host it, you could email one of the mods or somebody that has hosting capabilities and I'm sure they could host it for you. Hell, I'm sure somebody in here has file hosting capabilities.........or you could just email it to me, lol.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:37 PM   #8
Rookie

tpaterniti's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoons21
I'm actually interested also. I have a few questions though. Are the players 'edited?" In other words, do you make some of the same changes to attributes (DB's, etc.) as in the other rosters to make the game play a little more realistic? And do you have any slider sets that work best with your roster?
You can check out my spreadsheet (Booyah.xls) but yes I have edited every single player in the roster. The biggest things I did were this. I created a true speed which I thought was a little more consistent and better than 2K's system. It basically put everyone on an equal footing based on their 40 times, regardless of position (i.e. a 4.5 40 time for a DE was the same speed as a 4.5 40 time for a WR). This was last year, and yes I looked up 500-600 players' 40 times. The biggest problem with this was that the D lineman were WAY too fast. I still think my idea was good, but I was limited by the programming of the game. This year, I kept the Tru speed increased scale for some positions but not others. Here are the details.

For RB, FB, WR, TE, O-Line, CB, S, I used a hybrid of ESPN's speed chart and my Tru speed chart (I figured out ESPN's by editing rookies' speeds in the off-season mode of the franchise and taking averages of how their 40 times were affected in the scouting reports). So these positions are a little faster. But this tends to favor the DBs over the WRs, which is good. Now I rarely see a WR just jet past a DB, regardless of his speed.

Note: for all positions, I held ultimate say based on watching them play (I watch about 85% of all NFL games each year), and I took into consideration that some players currently play faster or slower than their combine 40 times, so it was not a rigid 40 time to speed calculation in every case. You will hear me say many times that editing a roster is more of an art than a science, and this is just one example of how that is true. I also took age into consideration as well.

For QBs, D-Line, and P/Ks, I used the original 2K speed chart, the result being their speeds are a little slower than the group above relative to their 40 times. In playing with the roster, I have found that I am less able to run with QBs who shouldn't be able to run than I was before. So Mike Vick and Vince Young can still hurt you with their feet, certainly, but you will not be able to take Tom Brady or Brett Farve or Chad Pennington and outrun LBs and DEs the way you could before. The D-line is also slower compared to the O-line, which is faster. This slows down the pass rush a little and in a way compensates slightly for some of the blocking glitches built into the game. The change here is not dramatic. Probably the biggest thing you will notice about the O-line is that they get out faster on counters and plays where an O-lineman is pulling, and this is nice. I was hoping this would make screen passes work also, but I think they are hopelessly flawed. I can see no significant difference one way or the other for the P/K speed, so I just picked the original chart for them.

LBs were tricky. Originally they were slower, on the same scale as D-lineman, but because the TEs are on the faster chart, the LBs were just not cutting it in coverage against TEs and to some degree slot WRs. I know a LB shouldn't be able to keep up with a slot WR, but it should have been closer than it was. The problem with them being on the same scale as the WRs and TEs though, was that it made the run game inordinately difficult. My solution was to put the LBs on a scale that was based on the faster chart, but about 2 or 3 points lower. The result proved to be a nice balance. The LBs increased speed in pass rushing and run coverage is balanced by the D-line being a little slower. In coverage, the LBs can hang with TEs to a degree I deemed to be realistic.

So this is the biggest speed alteration. I also adjusted DB aggressiveness a little to make them cover better. I tended to decrease the AGG of outside DBs, while increasing the AGG of slot DBs and safeties, but this was just a guideline and was tempered by how I saw them play as well. Again, art more than science.

I tended to make rookies with lower CON ratings, but some by now are higher since it is the end of the season. You can definitely see the progression of certain players like Alex Smith, Vince Young, etc. throughout the season if you were to look at different versions of my roster. I don't approach players ratings as if I am trying to zero in on what they are and will be forever. I just try to make them what I think they are at the time. Potential for me equals high attributes and lower CON. If they improve over the season then I improve their attributes, and I allow for this when I create them in the first place.

I also altered strength to make it more even from position to position. Consider Rod Gardner, for example, whose STR was in the 70s, stronger than many O-lineman! And if you think strength is relative to position, just sub him in as an O-lineman and he will be in the mid 70s (if I remember correctly). So this was a problem for me, because obviously he is not as strong as a 300+ lb O-lineman. And this is just one example. So I relegated certain positions to general strength ranges (sometimes extraordinary players went outside the range, but they were exceptions). So for QB/K/P, the range was ~10-45, CB/WR/FS: ~25-50, TE/FB: ~45-70, HB/FB (Depending on body structure whether he was a TE-type FB or a HB-type FB): ~45-65, LB: ~45-70, SS: ~45-60, O-line/D-line: ~50-100. Again, I didn't sit down with a chart and do this. This explanation is just a quantification of the general range I had in my head. Once you have put in 450 or so hours into this stuff you just get a feel for what looks right and what doesn't. I have been very pleased with the results I have gotten.

Very few HBs have a BTK that is higher than 85 because this makes the game impossible on harder difficulty settings. Some are higher. Shaun Alexander's is 90, LT's is 95, Frank Gore's is 89 (don't know if this is a mistake or not) and Larry Johnson's is 94, Tiki Barber's is 89. I basically looked at what the attribute is: how well they actually break tackles. For example, Edgerrin James and Clinton Portis are very good HBs, but how often do they actually break tackles? Their skill is in trying to avoid them more than breaking right through them, and this is the case for many good backs. Whether you buy this explanation or not, I can tell you based on playing with my roster a lot on a custom difficulty (my bars at All Pro, the computers at Legend), that with the BTK rating too high, almost every HB was running for 5-6 yards per carry, just plowing through my tackles. Since I have toned this rating down the game plays much more realistically.

This is all I can think of right now. I used to highlight these gameplay alterations, but I found that most people focussed on them too much when they played and blamed what was quite frankly bad gameplay on my editing. The changes that result from these are very subtle. I didn't want to make a game that played totally different from 2K's original; I wanted one that felt the same, but with a few gameplay wrinkles ironed out in the best and most subtle way I could. Most of these alterations you would never notice if I hadn't told you about them, and that is the way I wanted it to be.

So you can use any sliders you use on the original game. I have never been a big fan of sliders so I am not the person to ask about them, but I made the game to play just like the original, only a bit better, so whatever worked on the original should work here also.

Last edited by tpaterniti; 01-28-2007 at 11:47 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »