Home

Tools to help other roster makers

This is a discussion on Tools to help other roster makers within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2007, 07:40 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Tools to help other roster makers

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
Capa,

you are misunderstanding me-- maybe re-read my suggestion... I didn't tell you to "import" a historic team into a regular roster file. Conversely, I believe that using Finn's import feature is specifically what's causing these bugs for you.

I suggested that you edit the historic team like always within the game and save the entire "ROSTER" (I even put roster in caps the first time to stress that you weren't importing anything). To stress this-- do not save the team separately when asked to do so by the game. when you save a roster, 2K5 also saves 2 the historic team slots, provided they are filled

Then you open the ROSTER (not a single historic team) in the editor. The roster file will contain INSIDE of it, either 1 or 2 historic teams (whichever 1 or two you had loaded when you saved the file). then, you edit the historic players from the ROSTER file inside of Finn's editor by searching for them...

Last, you load the now-edited ROSTER back to your game, go into the "historic teams" menu, click on one of the two teams to reveal it's roster, and then just back out to the main menu. As you back out, the game will prompt you to save the historic team as a separate file-- this is when you do this, very last step of all.

Does this make more sense?

sidenote:
Advice to roster makers-- NEVER save an updated roster file after loading an edited historic team into it. Loading an edited historic team adds every single one of the players on that team to the name database (new name slots can lead to franchise freeze ups). Once these new names are added, and the file re-saved, they can NEVER be removed. Essentially, your file is one step closer to being potentially corrupted.

You can see evidence of this by downloading any one of the OSDCR community rosters, or my own file (which was based off of it). Open it in Finn's editor and use the search feature, but don't enter any search parameters-- this reveals ALL the players in the roster file. You will see Steve Young, Jerry Rice, and many of the other old SF players are listed among the results (and also as new entries in the name database).

This is because somewhere along the line, somebody working on that roster loaded a historic SF 49ers team into the file, & re-saved the roster after doing so. This can never be undone.
Puja,

I really appreicate the advice, but I think I am going to stick to editing blank historic teams in the game, renaming them as a new team. No birthdays or years played will be updated.

Unless, and until, you can safely load an historic team (blank or previously edited) into Finn's editor and do whatever you want to it without causing damaged files or name issues, I will stick to the original way.

Truth is, I am burning out on the editing and looking for the path of least resistance. I still have tons of SB teams to do.

Again, appreciate the advice, but I don't think Finn is going to do anymore work on this for me so I will go the old fashioned route.

C
Old 02-21-2007, 09:33 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

capa? you ever post those sliders for cpu vs cpu , im curious to check em out.....
Old 02-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATRIOTS07
capa? you ever post those sliders for cpu vs cpu , im curious to check em out.....
ooops...will do today...

C
Old 02-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #20
MVP

slapnutz2k2's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
sidenote:
Advice to roster makers-- NEVER save an updated roster file after loading an edited historic team into it. Loading an edited historic team adds every single one of the players on that team to the name database (new name slots can lead to franchise freeze ups). Once these new names are added, and the file re-saved, they can NEVER be removed. Essentially, your file is one step closer to being potentially corrupted.

You can see evidence of this by downloading any one of the OSDCR community rosters, or my own file (which was based off of it). Open it in Finn's editor and use the search feature, but don't enter any search parameters-- this reveals ALL the players in the roster file. You will see Steve Young, Jerry Rice, and many of the other old SF players are listed among the results (and also as new entries in the name database).

This is because somewhere along the line, somebody working on that roster loaded a historic SF 49ers team into the file, & re-saved the roster after doing so. This can never be undone.
Incredible advice.......thanks!!
Old 02-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 1

Sorry to repeat myself in the other post capa, I forgot this is where i asked for the sliders
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2007, 12:27 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 20

I'll share some help Finn gave me concerning my project (an updated roster w/ zero CAPs.... only overwrites):

Quote:
The game save consist of 3 sections of names. The first section is the first & last name of every player in the default NFL roster that ships with the game. Each and every player's name (first and last) is there regardless of whether some one else has the same name. Then, there is a section for the names used to generate rookies. These names should not be overwritten as I think it leads to freezing problems. Finally, there is space for created player names. Any player created in the in game C-A-P goes here even if the same name exists for a player already in the league.

The bounds checking comment comes from the fact that each naming area mentioned above has some finite size in the game save before it begins overwriting other data in the save. For the NFL roster names section, the section is as big as it takes to hold all the names:
(# of letters in first name + # of letters in last name) * # of players in the league

I think there is some extra blank space at the bottom of the section but I am not sure how much is allocated for names and how much the game expects to be blank or expects to use for other things. When overwriting names of players no longer in the league, it would be wise to try and get the size of the new names to be as close as possible to the size of the old names so you don't exceed that finite size. If you overwrite 50 players that names totaled 1000 characters, you should shoot for the total of the new players names to be around 1000 characters as well.
I have been tracking every name I overwrite in excel & so far over 300 new unique names added w/ zero freezing.

Last edited by puja21; 02-26-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 15

Puja21.....

I dont know how far along you are in your roster as I only read your first post and havent been here in a few weeks but I just want to give you a "heads up".

Dont use the game's "default" roster. It's filled with bugs, glitches and naming issues. Two of the problems that I know of are -

1) FA OT Carlos Joseph

His head / face is cut off and if try to advance past the second edit screen, the game will freeze. It was funny to see him with half a head in-game though.

2) If you put the "default" roster file in Finn's editor as is, the editor will notify you of a possible name corruption and thus give you the option to fix it.

Personally, I use the "final" roster update as it has added players that was missing in the default or opening rosters.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:08 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
I'll share some help Finn gave me concerning my project (an updated roster w/ zero CAPs.... only overwrites):

I have been tracking every name I overwrite in excel & so far over 300 new unique names added w/ zero freezing.
Thanks for the info Puja. I don't know if this relates to the historic teams at all...probably does, but not sure. Finn's editor is different for this type of editing. You cannot select first or last names...they only have input fields.

What is weird is that I can get name errors on names like Jim or Tom...whatever. When my file is "damaged" I see that the FIRST or LAST text in his editor is red. Sometimes both. This indicates a name problem, but I have no clue how to fix or clear it.

I have gone back to editing historic teams in the game itself, and only using Finn's editor to change the year of the team. It's a tedious task this way, but the only way I can create files that will not lock up in the game or appear as "damaged" when you try to load from the AR card.

C

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »