Home

Should circumstances affect depth charts?

This is a discussion on Should circumstances affect depth charts? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27
Should circumstances affect depth charts?

Was wondering what you guys thought in terms of players' pre-season circumstances affecting what would normally be a starting role or whatever place on the depth chart where they would be.

Now I could see the Vicks and Pacmans of the world being negated from the roster altogether as they are undoubtedly going to sit, but what do you think about a sure fire starter suffering a season ending injury even before the season starts? Or what about the Jared Allens and Travis Henrys of the world who will miss a sizeable portion of the season, though normally would start?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Should circumstances affect depth charts?

My two cents would be this.....make the roster as close to what the opening day roster would be and let nature run its course. For example, here in Dallas, Greg Ellis is penciled in as the starting LOLB in the 3-4 defense. However, he is coming off an achilies injury and has not taken part in the training camp practices, but the coaches say he is the starter and will be ready for opening day. If for some reason he can't go, more than likely rookie Anthony Spencer will get the knod at that position. I would rather have Ellis in there and if need be I can push him down the depth chart if and when he doesn't play or looses his starting job to Spencer. As far as Vick is concerned, I say leave him in until he is officially cut or goes to jail there is still a remote possibility he could play for the Falcons or someone else. I would like to personally put him in Ving Rhames' house with his dogs and see what happens.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
Was wondering what you guys thought in terms of players' pre-season circumstances affecting what would normally be a starting role or whatever place on the depth chart where they would be.

Now I could see the Vicks and Pacmans of the world being negated from the roster altogether as they are undoubtedly going to sit, but what do you think about a sure fire starter suffering a season ending injury even before the season starts? Or what about the Jared Allens and Travis Henrys of the world who will miss a sizeable portion of the season, though normally would start?
Allen is suspended for four games if I remember correctly. I would leave him in because he's the Chiefs best DL. If he was a fourth or fifth stringer, I would probably just put him in FA. As for Vick, im undecided about him because while he's been banned from being at Falcons TC, the NFL nor the Falcons have suspended him or put him on a leave of absence yet meaning that he's still active and thus will be the starter in 2007. Of course, I dont see that happening but until it's official, he's still the starter. Besides, how cool would it be to play the Falcons in your stadium with Vick as the starter and then to have the song "who let the dogs out" play using that custom soundtrack option? That would be pretty funny.

As for Adam "pacman" Jones, he's suspended for the season. I will most likely put him in FA with all his attributes at ZERO so the CPU cant sign him during the season. Terry "tank" Johnson is suspended for eight games and while there are rumors that the Colts may sign him, until that happens, I would place him in FA at ZERO as well. Bengals WR Chris Henry is also suspended for eight games and I would do the same thing with him that I did with the others.

Is Henry suspended or injured? I know that Colts DT Anthony McFarland is out for the season with a torn ACL. I can see him being in FA at ZERO or put on IR using Finn's editor. There's another option, create a player for that respective team and then put these guys on IR in franchise, and then just sign the created player from FA to the respective team. Of course, that's for franchise files.

Of course, this is what im saying now. I'm creating my 2k7 roster and once final cuts are done, I'll update it into 2k8. I'm using this website for roster info -

http://www.localsports.ca/nfl_rosters/index.html

Credit goes to Rickster101 for that website. I like that site the best because they update it almost daily and include all players that are still under contract with their respective team. For example, the Dolphins still have Ricky Williams but he's listed as SUSpended. I love that because the site includes players that are active, on IR, PUP, NFI / Reserved and SUSpended lists.

I'm still undecided and will just wait until final cuts before I make any final decisions.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo
My two cents would be this.....make the roster as close to what the opening day roster would be and let nature run its course. For example, here in Dallas, Greg Ellis is penciled in as the starting LOLB in the 3-4 defense. However, he is coming off an achilies injury and has not taken part in the training camp practices, but the coaches say he is the starter and will be ready for opening day. If for some reason he can't go, more than likely rookie Anthony Spencer will get the knod at that position. I would rather have Ellis in there and if need be I can push him down the depth chart if and when he doesn't play or looses his starting job to Spencer. As far as Vick is concerned, I say leave him in until he is officially cut or goes to jail there is still a remote possibility he could play for the Falcons or someone else. I would like to personally put him in Ving Rhames' house with his dogs and see what happens.
While I agree with you in regards to the Cowboys roster and depth chart, I personally go by what the team plays in-game. Since the Cowboys run a 4-3 in-game, I create their roster accordingly. For example, I have Spears at DT with Ellis and Ware at DE. For OLB, I will most likely have Carpenter and Spencer with James and Ayodele at MLB. I know that it's incorrect but I do the same thing for all teams.

If we could edit the defensive setup that the team's run in-game or somehow edit the names and logos, we would be able to work around it.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

The Cowboys defense in the game is 4-3 and 3-4. Even in the depth charts it lets you edit both systems. I run them both when I play. However, I may use the San Diego playbook for them this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
Is Henry suspended or injured?
Ol' "Tarvis [sic]" was suspended for a good portion of 2005. I assume daflyboys was just citing that situation as an example of what he's talking about.

As far as I know, nothing is wrong w/ Henry aside from a very insignificant pulled muscle that will keep him out a couple days
Old 08-06-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo
The Cowboys defense in the game is 4-3 and 3-4. Even in the depth charts it lets you edit both systems. I run them both when I play. However, I may use the San Diego playbook for them this year.
I'm aware of that but the 3-4 is just for the base formation. The 4-3 controls the base, bear, nickel, dime, prevent and goalline formations. Here's a rundown -

Formation / OLB / ILB

3-4 / 2 / 2
4-3 / 2 / 1
Bear / 2 / 1
Nickel / 1 / 1
Dime / 0 / 1
Prevent / 1 / 0
Goalline* / 2 / 1

* - Goalline is a 5-3 formation with 5 DL, 3 LB, 2 CB and 1 Safety.

I would try to edit their playbook to the 3-4 but then, I would still be stuck with the 4-3 in their depth chart. I hate teams that have both 3-4 and 4-3 because if you move the second starting DT in the 4-3 to the 2nd team backup NT in the 4-3, he then becomes the backup LDT in the 4-3.

For example, the 4-3 would look like this -

LDT - Ferguson, Spears, Stanley, Ratliff
RDT - Spears, Stanley, Ratliff, Ferguson

if I setup the 3-4 like this -

NT - Ferguson, Spears, Stanley, Ratliff

For me to keep the 2nd and 3rd stringers in the 4-3 as Stanley and Ratliff, I must keep Spears last (4th) in the NT spot in the 3-4.

Trust me, I hate 2k5's depth chart with a passion. Not only does the above problem occur when it shouldnt, it's also responsible for the starting QB kick / punt returner problem as well as the backup QB starting instead of the starter during playoffs. Trust me, the depth chart in 2k5 is crap and is responsible for several problems. I guarantee that if the depth chart was like 2k3 and 2k4, the above problems wouldnt exist plus when you setup every team's depth chart before starting a franchise, everything would stay the way you have it setup unless there's injuries.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
Ol' "Tarvis [sic]" was suspended for a good portion of 2005. I assume daflyboys was just citing that situation as an example of what he's talking about.

As far as I know, nothing is wrong w/ Henry aside from a very insignificant pulled muscle that will keep him out a couple days
Oh okay. I dont really keep up with any team except my 49ers. Once final cuts are done, I use that website I listed for roster info. They'll tell me who's injured, suspended, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »