Home

puja21 07-08 Roster

This is a discussion on puja21 07-08 Roster within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2007, 10:25 AM   #57
MVP

FunNgun034's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: puja21 07-08 Roster

you da man puja... awesome
Old 09-17-2007, 03:17 PM   #58
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Puja,

I found the depth chart problem for the teams that use both. You will be able to set a team to 3-4,4-3, or both in the next release. Unfortunately, you will have to manually correct the teams that use both.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Finn
amazing-- not inconvenient at all just one more accomplishment for Finn in a long line of re-engineering glory. i look fwd to it

also, you'll notice i haven't emailed you that problem file i mentioned-- the one where i was getting the error msg from trying to edit depth charts in the editor; it seems I keep so many backup files that I can no longer find the culprit... & I haven't been able to recreate the issue, sooo

^thanks again for everything Finn.

aside: it's really bizarre that although there are maybe ~6M Finns on earth, two of us are working on keeping a 3 year old FB game up-to-date (granted, Finn is working much harder/more intelligently than I, but it's still a pretty strange coincidence)
Old 09-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #59
MVP

slapnutz2k2's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
i just noticed this comment... regarding the second part, those guys like Berman & Steve-O are in free agency only because you unlocked them with your own profile. The rest of us don't have that problem unless we did the same.
I didn't even think about that.

Quote:
If you want to do so, I think you could overwrite them yourself by searching in the editor (with no parameters entered). I really don't know however b/c all their attributes are shown as "zero" ... so it might not be a safe decision. not sure what to tell you

the low rated remaining default players in free agency are there for a reason... to give me more slots to add players like Chris Francies every week w/o "double overwriting" any names.
I just noticed you haven't used one single CAP with all the extra names you used. Incredible!! My roster is shot to hell with naming issues. Could you explain the parts about searching with no parameters and "double overwriting" so maybe I can figure out what I did wrong??
Old 09-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapnutz2k2
I just noticed you haven't used one single CAP with all the extra names you used. Incredible!!
Damn puja, stop copying me!!! LOL.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #61
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Puja,

I found the depth chart problem for the teams that use both. You will be able to set a team to 3-4,4-3, or both in the next release. Unfortunately, you will have to manually correct the teams that use both.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Finn
No inconvenience for me. Seeing the Cowboys, Jets, Raiders and Vikings have only one defensive setup made me very happy because now, I dont have to worry about one interfering with the other.

And Finn, is your next release going to be a "final" release or will it still be for testing purposes only?

Thanks Finn.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #62
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapnutz2k2
Could you explain the parts about searching with no parameters and "double overwriting" so maybe I can figure out what I did wrong??
^if you go into Finn's editor & click "Search" then "search for players" at the top a "find players" menu comes up... if you just click "Find" without typing any parameters in (like doing a blank google search), then every player in the roster will come up. This is 2479 players by default i think but obviously more if you used CAPs

IIRC: Trey, Mel, Steve-O etc are right at the top, but they are definitely somewhere on the list. You can sort the results by first name alphabetically to find them for sure. I know from memory their attributes are set to all zero, however, so I don't know what might happen if you edit them (use backups & try @ your own risk).

Double Overwriting:
When you overwrite player names in the editor, you want the total # of characters (letters, spaces etc from the names) to be as close to the original count when you are done.
For example, if you were to overwrite "Smith, John" into something else you would want 9 characters or less ideally in the new name, because "John Smith" had 9 charactes. Similarly, on a larger scale if you overwrite 1000 names in the game totalling 10,000 characters.... you want the resulting character count to be as low as possible (near 10,000 or below). No one knows what happens if you exceed this count by too much or how much is "too much," but Finn has hypothesized that that exceeding the # by a ton could overwrite into a buffer in the roster that is reserved for other information by the game... & could potentially lead to freezing.

When I overwrite any default player, I always track who the original guy was in excel. That way I can use formulas to have excel quickly tally the characters of the old names & compare them to the new character count. When I say double over-write I mean if I overwrite "John Smith" into "Hamza Abdullah" and THEN later overwrite Abdullah into someone new, I always know that "John Smith" was the original player.... & Abdullah would remain in the second tally.

Basically, my roster functions as a massive experiment, so that if it ever freezes up (even several seasons of updating from now in 2008 or 2009), I can track exactly how many changes I made & right down to the letter & we would know with "some certainty" what renaming limitations in the game's files exist, if any exist.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #63
MVP

slapnutz2k2's Arena

OVR: 10

Wow, I've never clicked find without typing in anything before. I guess that could be useful some kind of way.

Thanks for the overwriting advice. I would turn a six character player into a 15 one in a minute. I guess next time I know.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #64
Banned

Quote:
^if you go into Finn's editor & click "Search" then "search for players" at the top a "find players" menu comes up... if you just click "Find" without typing any parameters in (like doing a blank google search), then every player in the roster will come up. This is 2479 players by default i think but obviously more if you used CAPs.
I love the "search" feature in Finn's editor. I always wanted that to be available in-game because going back to Tecmo, whenever I was looking for a certain player, I would have to go nuts looking for him and sometimes, the player isnt even there. Ugh.

I dont know what "base" roster you're using but the final roster contains a total of 1948 players. I setup every team to have 54 players which equals 1728 players plus the 220 players that are available in free agency.

Quote:
Double Overwriting:
When you overwrite player names in the editor, you want the total # of characters (letters, spaces etc from the names) to be as close to the original count when you are done.
For example, if you were to overwrite "Smith, John" into something else you would want 9 characters or less ideally in the new name, because "John Smith" had 9 charactes. Similarly, on a larger scale if you overwrite 1000 names in the game totalling 10,000 characters.... you want the resulting character count to be as low as possible (near 10,000 or below). No one knows what happens if you exceed this count by too much or how much is "too much," but Finn has hypothesized that that exceeding the # by a ton could overwrite into a buffer in the roster that is reserved for other information by the game... & could potentially lead to freezing.

When I overwrite any default player, I always track who the original guy was in excel. That way I can use formulas to have excel quickly tally the characters of the old names & compare them to the new character count. When I say double over-write I mean if I overwrite "John Smith" into "Hamza Abdullah" and THEN later overwrite Abdullah into someone new, I always know that "John Smith" was the original player.... & Abdullah would remain in the second tally.

Basically, my roster functions as a massive experiment, so that if it ever freezes up (even several seasons of updating from now in 2008 or 2009), I can track exactly how many changes I made & right down to the letter & we would know with "some certainty" what renaming limitations in the game's files exist, if any exist.
Jeez. You keep track of every player that you overwrite??? Holy crap.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »