Home

Struggling with what to do on my last roster update of the year

This is a discussion on Struggling with what to do on my last roster update of the year within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27
Struggling with what to do on my last roster update of the year

Do I include the premiere players who are injured and out for the year or do I stick them in FA and let those who want to bring them up do so? Basically, I'm only interested in the top 2 strings, except for the QB's, where I'd go 3 deep.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: Struggling with what to do on my last roster update of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
Do I include the premiere players who are injured and out for the year or do I stick them in FA and let those who want to bring them up do so? Basically, I'm only interested in the top 2 strings, except for the QB's, where I'd go 3 deep.
I personally include the top 54 players including drafted rookies regardless of the health status. I only eliminate those who have been suspended (Thurman, Vick, etc.) or have passed away from the roster file. I try to eliminate having to create undrafted players because they rarely hang around in the long run so why create someone who will be overwritten?

Of course, it's up to you. Do what you want to do or what you normally do.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 20

If it were me, & I was making a roster that I would want to come back & play over to relive 07-08, then I would pick a date-- like week 3 or 4 or something as the cutoff... because if the guy was on IR or cut prior to this, he really wasn't a significant part of the 07-08 season.

example: what impact did LeCharles Bentley, David Pollack, Mike Alstott, Chris Sims, DJ Shockley have on this season? Zero. None of them ever stepped on the field for even 1 snap. On the Bills alone, defensive starters Ko Simpson & Jason Webster lasted less than one half of one game-- they really had nothing to do with the '07 Buffalo Bills' story. The Rams would've been a totally different team w/ Orlando Pace & Todd Steussie among others. At one point in Nov, they had 3 opening day starters out of 22 active.

Tons of rookies go on IR every year before playing a down too (sometimes when they could come back from their injuries during the year-- it's like a pro redshirt). This year, off the top of my head I can think of Joe Cohen, Jay Moore, Kenny Irons, Mike Walker, Brian Smith, & Chansi Stuckey.

And if any of these players-- rookie or veteran-- are going to be active on a roster in the game than you have to pull someone out who actually did contribute this season b/c there is no inactive list in the game.

IMO, leaving out full-season injuries is more important if you're making a historic season/team. It just seems that people are more content to replay the team just as it was in reality after some time has passed. On the flipside, when it's a current team, the consensus seems to be that people feel "cheated" when their players miss the whole year & want them in there no matter what (extreme case being all those people who wanted Vick & Pacman in the roster). That's why when I'm making an old season, I pick a date in the first month as the cutoff.

To really be accurate in scaling a historic roster, I think we should be penalizing players who are banged up all year; Chris McAllister, Steven Jackson, Bulger etc. These guys aren't playing up to their talent/typical production even when they are on the field, b/c of nagging injuries (Jackson has gotten right lately of course). Unfortunately, as time passes all you see are the stats & everything else fades from memory.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

I agree with Puja on this one.

I like to play as the Titans and my secondary and kick return games are suffering the loss of Pacman, bigtime.

Still, I feel the season is more accurate if it reflects his suspension, as well as any non-factor players.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:46 AM   #5
Banned

I agree and disagree with puja.

I agree with the players like Vick, Jones, etc. who are suspended because this isnt possible in 2k5 but disagree with injuries because after all, you're most likely to come across injuries to players that arent injured in reality but are gone in your franchise. I personally prefer to have the players on the team healthy especially drafted players. Undrafted players is a different story.

Also, look at some of the players who are out like Bentley, Alstott and Pollack. These three are candiates to retire in the off-season. I can agree here. Simms and D.J. are backups though. Even if both were healthy, they wouldnt be making an impact anyway.

Rookies get injured and as a 49ers fan, you mentioned Moore and Cohen but these guys are drafted players who would be getting playing time if they were healthy. What am I going to do??? Replace them with some crapper who'll be cut in the off-season anyway? That's just giving me extra work bud.

Both Moore and Cohen will be rated 68 and 65 in my 2K8 roster file and both will be backups anyway so what's the point in replacing him with another backup who isnt doing a damn thing for my 3-9 49ers anyway?

Just my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 20

Actually, Simms was a starter. Initially demoted b/c of his injury, from which he subsequently has not recovered-- he would've battled Garcia for the starting spot. Ditto for Shockley in the wake of bad newz kennelz.

there's no guarantee Moore & Cohen won't be the "crappers" who get cut in the offseason. not unheard of at all for low rounders. look at the Dolphins of this year:
"Of the 58 players drafted or acquired by Miami using their draft picks between 1998-2003, not a single one is on the Dolphins' 53-man roster today."
Josh Gattis, Quentin Moses, Buster Davis are just a few highly touted draft picks who didn't even make it through training camp w/ the team who drafted them.

My point was just that if a player didn't play the entire season, he really had nothing to do w/ the team's result. If someone wants to matchup against the 2007 Dolphins in the future, they probably aren't expecting to face Trent Green/Ronnie Brown/Chambers/Ricky/Zach Thomas/Rosenthal or both of the starting safeties-- these players aren't the reason that team is winless
Old 12-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
Actually, Simms was a starter. Initially demoted b/c of his injury, from which he subsequently has not recovered-- he would've battled Garcia for the starting spot. Ditto for Shockley in the wake of bad newz kennelz.

there's no guarantee Moore & Cohen won't be the "crappers" who get cut in the offseason. not unheard of at all for low rounders. look at the Dolphins of this year:
"Of the 58 players drafted or acquired by Miami using their draft picks between 1998-2003, not a single one is on the Dolphins' 53-man roster today."
Josh Gattis, Quentin Moses, Buster Davis are just a few highly touted draft picks who didn't even make it through training camp w/ the team who drafted them.

My point was just that if a player didn't play the entire season, he really had nothing to do w/ the team's result. If someone wants to matchup against the 2007 Dolphins in the future, they probably aren't expecting to face Trent Green/Ronnie Brown/Chambers/Ricky/Zach Thomas/Rosenthal or both of the starting safeties-- these players aren't the reason that team is winless
Simms was a starter until the team signed Garcia. Gruden didnt sign Garcia for him to be a backup. Shockley??? Harrington, Leftwich and Redman have been average at best. I dont think that Shockley would have helped them. Besides, Petrino should want to lose. Season is over anyway. Get a top 5 draft pick and draft Brohm and the Falcons should finally have an actual QB.

I doubt that Cohen and/or Moore get released. It's way too early to tell if they're worth keeping or not. My point was that I would rather see my two drafted players provide the depth instead of undrafted players or veterans who are pretty much just fillers.

Please dont use the Dolphins as an example. Since Marino retired, they've made the worst management decisions that I have possibly ever seen. The Dolphins best QB since Marino retired was Jay Fiedler. How sad is that?

Moses and Davis didnt fit into the schemes that their respective teams run but looking at the Raiders and Cardinals, being let go by them might not be a bad thing.

Zach Thomas and Ronnie Brown are one of the reasons why Miami is winless. You're talking about the franchise RB and the franchise MLB who along with Jason Taylor are the best two players on the team. Chambers is in SD so he shouldnt be on the Dolphins. Ricky Williams is my favorite RB but im not even going to add him to my 2K8 roster since he's on IR. Green didnt do anything for the Dolphins and will most likely retire. I can see Beck being the starter. Rosenthal isnt a big deal. I dont know who their starting safeties were but I know that Schulters is their current FS and he's a solid player.

I dont want to get into the entire Dolphins situation because I could go on and on. My main point is that unless you play with injuries off, you're going to have players get injured in-game who are 100% healthy in reality. Basically, you're going to be missing players who are injured in reality and those who arent. What's the point of playing with your team in-game if all your top players are gone? That's why you're playing the game, so you can win.

Here's another idea - have the top 54 players on the team and if there's players on IR, just put them last on the depth chart. That's fair. People can play like the team is in reality but still have the option of playing with the players who are injured in reality.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

I've decided that since other rosters were done reflecting other team configurations throughout the year, this will be no different. I'm probably, though, going to have no more than 49-ish on a team which will leave room for those who want to add/create certain players desired for their given team(s).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »