Home

1988 Roster and Franchise Thread

This is a discussion on 1988 Roster and Franchise Thread within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19
1988 Roster and Franchise Thread

VERSION 2 UPLOADED!
There have been a number of corrections and improvements made to the file to bring it closer to reality.

The file resides here:
http://www.nfl2k5rosters.com/1988roster.html

Last edited by dophin26; 04-23-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
MVP

dophin26's Arena

Re: 1988 Roster and Franchise Thread

This is where I'll post updates and answer questions about the 88 roster. I started on the 1987 site, so I won't rehash too much of what I posted there, but I'll be updating the completed teams right here.

TEAMS FINISHED: 28 of 28 _

- Detroit Lions
- Chicago Bears
- Minnesota Vikings
- Tampa Bay Bucs
- Green Bay Packers
__________________________________________________ _

- San Fran 49ers
- New Orleans Saints
- Los Angeles Rams
- Atlanta Falcons

- Houston Oilers
- Cleveland Browns
- Cincinnati Bengals
- Pittsburgh Steelers

- Miami Dolphins
- Buffalo Bills
- Indy Colts
- New England Patriots
- New York Jets
__________________________________________________ ____

- Philadelphia Eagles
- Dallas Cowboys
- New York Giants
- Phoenix Cardinals
- Washington Redskins
__________________________________________________ ____

- Seattle Seahawks
- Denver Broncos
- Oakland Raiders
- San Diego Chargers
- Kansas City Chiefs

FUN FACTS:

- The Rams will have the "Eagle" defense available to them (using two DEs inside and two OLBs on the outside) in the Bear formation.

- Several teams will have specific player subs due to formation (like pass-rushing DEs coming in one the Nickel formation.

- Correct 3-4 and 4-3 defenses are being used (as they were in the other 80s rosters).

- HB subs are back in formations, so the cpu will run with a greater variety of backs (if teams divided carries that year.) EX: The Packers will split carries pretty evenly between HB Woodside and FB Fullwood, while the Rams will lean on HB Greg Bell for most carries.

Last edited by dophin26; 02-28-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Another team finished
Old 01-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Rookie

Silentway's Arena

OVR: 3

This is very exciting!
Old 01-31-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Really looking forward to this roster............like my car they don't make football players like they used to.
Question Who has better QB instincts Bernie Kosar or Peyton Manning? I'll take Bernie anyday with 2 min to go in any pressure game
Old 01-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
MVP

dophin26's Arena

Colts finished. I played a game vs. the Bills yesterday and lost 21 - 17. I had a shot to win at the end, but going 80 yards in 1:30 with the Colts is difficult, since Chandler isn't the most accurate guy in the world and his receivers are either slower than molasses (Bouza and Brooks) or fast with no hands (Verdin). I did break a beautiful 70 yard run with Dickerson in the third. Unfortunately, Thurman Thomas broke two 60 yarders on me. It was cool seeing Duane Bickett take the angle of pursuit and run him down at the 2.
__________________________________________________ ____________

NOTE: I have had a couple setbacks recently, all due to a problem with the file advancing the players ages by 15 years. I had this once before and managed to fix it by exporting/importing teams, but since it really doesn't show up in game and I'm not making this for more than 1 season, I'm not too concerned about it. I don't really want to redo all the coaches and playbooks and changes to subs that I've already done. It is slowing progress, but definitely not stopping it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
MVP

dophin26's Arena

Patriots finished. Played as Pats vs the Colts. Flutie was the starter that season (until he was benched) and rookie RB John Stephens carried the load.

It was a good game in the beginning. Flutie tossed an INT immediately for a pick-6. I drove slowly downfield, pounding Stephens both inside and outside the tackles. 7-7.

The Colts apparently were hardcoded to throw throw throw (even though Dickerson was involved in 78% of all the offensive plays that season), so Chandler took to the skies. He got lucky on a long one. I counted with another long 3 yards and a cloud of dust drive. 14-14

Chandler then showed his cracks, throwing the first of 5 INTs. By half, it was 28-14.

The second half was a mirror of the first. Stephens ended up with 136 yards on 32 carries. Flutie had 188 yards passing and 48 rushing. 4 balls were batted down at the line.

Chandler had 404 yards in the air, but it was overshadowed by critical INTs at the worst times.

All in all, a good game, but unrealistic with Dickerson getting only 6 carries. One of the few teams that can't really perform as it should, especially when they fall behind.

EDIT: I tracked down my roster issue and it was related to a coaching change. I left the (unimportant) number alone and it is registering the normal ages again.

Last edited by dophin26; 02-02-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
MVP

dophin26's Arena

Finished the 8-7-1 Jets. Gastineau quit halfway through the year, McNeil made it through a season without injury, and the quarterback carousel of Ryan and O"Brien continued. Best of all, Al Toon caught 93 passes to lead the NFL.

Played only one half as the Jets. Played well, but trailed the Colts at half, 17-13. More testing to come.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #8
MVP

dophin26's Arena

Team 20 of 28 is finished! Dallas, all 3-13 of them, is complete. I did play one game so far: Dallas (me) at Detroit (cpu). It was pretty close throughout, but I won 23-13. Detroit's Chuck Long just can't do much. Dallas' defense played well and Herschel Walker had 130 yards on 31 carries. If you're a Dallas fan, it's pretty much all Walker, all the time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »