Home

Working on a roster - I need some advice...

This is a discussion on Working on a roster - I need some advice... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 7
Working on a roster - I need some advice...

I have been working on a roster set for the PS2 version, and now I just need tips on how to make them as good as possible. I am a huge Franchise person, so I am not making these rosters for 'gameplay' and they will be as close to Visual Concept's work as possible. I understand there are a lot of formulas out there that fix a lot of glitches and flawed AI, but the big reason being, I want all the ratings and attributes to be uniform with the generated draft classes.

The problem is and I would love to have some advice, is how do you rate a player by overall? Do you just glance at his stats and throw a number on him? Or do other factors play into it?

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
Banned

Re: Working on a roster - I need some advice...

No help
Old 08-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
MVP

FunNgun034's Arena

OVR: 20

you need to do a search.. this topic has worn itself out... I would suggest starting from scratch desiging your own base and go from there. Its great you will be helping the 2k5 community

FNG
Old 08-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
Banned

I do have a certain base roster for the game, but I am just a little iffy on how to implement it into the game. I know there are certain formulas out there to make the game play better, but being a huge Franchise player I am trying to make the roster uniform (and resemble) VC's roster. What I did was simulated to the draft and observed the rookies and how they are rated. I see that you can draft a player who can be 86 overall. That being said, I am going to cap the top rookies 80-84ish - usually that 86 overall doesn't progress till after the Preseason usually.

Sam Bradford for example, I am going to have him rated 83. I know it is a little high for a rookie, but he hasn't played a down yet in the NFL to be rated otherwise and I just want him to be like the future generated rookies you would draft in your Franchise in the years ahead.

Also, in my roster set just because you're a starter doesn't nessecarily mean you're the highest overall player. For example, Ed Johnson one of the starting defensive tackles on the Carolina Panthers, by looking at his statistics I would give him a 53 overall. And behind him on the depth chart, Corvey Irvin would be a 62 based on his draft placement (he was on IR last year). Ed Johnson to be rated higher would be absolute BS, because he has done nothing to prove he is better than a 53, and right now he is competing with other defensive lineman for the spot in preseason. I just don't think because you're a starter you should be rated higher, there are guys on the roster who have never played a down and could be better than Ed Johnson and you just don't know about it cause he is sitting on the bench waiting for the opportunity.

What irks me about this is in Madden 2006, they made Joey Harrington better than Jeff Garcia on the Lions. Everybody knows Jeff Garcia was the better QB.

In NFL 2K3, despite being a back up Chris Chandler was a higher overall than Jim Miller on the Bears. Speaking of Chandler, in Madden 2003 rookie Michael Vick was better than Chandler.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Banned

Note, my roster is going to be a Franchise file so in order to play with the team in Exhibition you will have to export teams. The reason for this is, you are given a 54 roster limit But in franchise the limit is 65 (preseason) so you get full teams with practice squads.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
MVP

FunNgun034's Arena

keep this in mind Speed, Strength, Tackle, Consistency are what jacks the players ratings.. overall means nothing in this game i have elite Players rated 100 and they still drop passes .. its a flaw in the AI. I am only doing franchise myself. You mentioned practice squads? Where do you store the extraplayers in free agency? explain
Old 08-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunNgun034
keep this in mind Speed, Strength, Tackle, Consistency are what jacks the players ratings.. overall means nothing in this game i have elite Players rated 100 and they still drop passes .. its a flaw in the AI. I am only doing franchise myself. You mentioned practice squads? Where do you store the extraplayers in free agency? explain
I believe I saw with the Flying Finn editor you can throw players on IR, so just throw them on IR and if you want to play someone from the practice squad just use the Flying Finn editor to remove him from IR and place him into the lineup.

EDIT: If not, just cut the players you don't want after the preseason is over

Last edited by MaddenBalla; 08-31-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
MVP

FunNgun034's Arena

yeah, I know about cutting players i actually have a seperate file for all released players and practice squad players.. so i just crop and paste them where needed.. all the details i have added stay and it save a lot of time updating. i think i saw the IR thing on the editor are you sure it works?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »