Home

2k5 or Madden 19

This is a discussion on 2k5 or Madden 19 within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
2k5 or Madden 19

I'm still on PS3 playing 2k5 on PS2, but havnt had a newer Madden since 2016, I think was the last year they made it for PS3. Anyway after all these years... how does 2k5 compare to the newest Madden??? After a few years of not playing 2k5 I'm back and happy to see it's still alive. Imagine what 2k sports would be done with football games. At least we got 2k5 and Tecmo Super Bowl
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
MVP

Hushroom's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: 2k5 or Madden 19

It depends.

I bought M19 and played it for about 10 days and haven't touched it since. I am not a fan of the new RPM system and I hate the CPU AI when it comes to franchise moves. I saw somewhere that in one guys franchise, the Cowboys signed David Johnson to go along side Zeke.
Milwaukee Bucks
Vegas Golden Knights
Old 09-25-2018, 12:39 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

I played M19 over the weekend. I feel like it's an improvement over M18, but they both suck. Same bad passing game, same unrealistic movement/momentum. Going back to 2k5 and NCAA 06.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 10

If you're asking, you're interested enough to check. Find a way to check it out for yourself, watch Youtube gameplay videos of Madden.

People are still playing 2K, it's been 14 years. It isn't because so many of us can't let go of the past. It's because it's still that good.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
Rookie

I bought Madden 18 last year with a new controller, I don't even have a PS4 but bought it so we could play it on my little brother's PS4 the weekend of the Mayweather vs Mcgregor fight. We played it that weekend and some the next, got like 4 games into a season, then I took it back to exchange it for store credit for something else. It was cool at first because the graphics looked nice on my 4K curve, once you start getting into the game play and the controls it's god awful. NFL 2K5 is still significantly better more realistic ball physics and player movements, momentum, etc, plus controls are far more simple and fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 4

Funny thing is I found this topic while searching for a nfl 2k5 editor lol. I think I have one somewhere on a disc, but I need to find it. Anyway, I'm not a 'madden *****', as I usually think these games are average at best. But I tried like crazy to like madden 19, but to me it's a bad game, and I rarely use words like 'bad' to describe games. I just feel like they didn't fix it's core gameplay issues, and when they put in a new thing(like rpm) to sell the game, it makes the game worse. Defenders magically shed their blocks as soon as you accelerate, which is not only unrealistic, but it throws player ratings right out of the window.

To me, these changes made the game 'harder', but not smarter. I could still call the same play and march up and down the field, without the ai even attempting to adapt...which is the opposite in my 2k5 testing over the years. I got used to the controls to where I had close to 500 yards rushing, but I still don't like how rpg is handled. Also, rpm ONLY applies to the ballcarrier, so while you're forced to 'pace yourself' before accelerating, defenders are running at full speed. The ai struggles with rpm the most, as I've had a bunch of games where I've held them under negative yards rushing. They 'jog' when they should sprint, and sometimes spin INTO defenders.

Challenges have been a problem at least since moving to xbox one/ps4, and in madden 19 I saw the worst challenges(which the game often does for me...no user control!) to date, with obvious TDs overturned, and I think the wonky physics engine works against what the game actually scripts to happen, which is why they often call what should be a 1st down 'short' instead.

Lots of complaints about clueless blocking, which I've seen a lot myself. My 90-ish overall lineman should never just stand there and allow me to get sacked. They either nerfed hb/wr screens to 'limit online cheese'(which hurts the game imo), or this is another flaw of the rpm system. Routinely, my rb would run into the back of his blockers on screen plays, which resulted in me either being sacked or fumbling the ball. Speaking of fumbles, again to cater to 'stopping online cheese', they made qbs fumble the ball most times UNLESS they side, which is too drastic and unrealistic. Several plays I've seen qb scrambles in the real nfl without sliding, would be 'fumbles' in madden. Defensive line play is too archaic, and is screaming for an overhaul.

Presentation is still over a decade behind 2k5's, with annoying, generic commentary who don't mention specific actions on the field(which 2k5 does), not enough cutscenes, and the few in the game repeat so often(and at the wrong moments) hurts the game. Before I sold it, I actually turned the commentary off. The brief halftime show is a joke, and the way ea has handled this, you want to skip at all anyway since it's done so poorly.

To me, 2K5 is still the better game...it shouldn't be, but it is imo.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #7
Rookie

Got madden 17 and 18 on release day and was done playing by Thanksgiving.. got madden 19 on release day and was done with it in about a week... Nfl 2k5 and Apf 2k8 are still the football games I play for my football fix after all these years smh
Old 11-22-2018, 01:16 AM   #8
Rookie

Madden doesn’t keep me interested too much bull**** 17 18 19 still playing around with 2k5 and ncaa football 14...for madden the only one I kept is madden 25...

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »