Home

Editing the kicking game

This is a discussion on Editing the kicking game within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2004, 08:58 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 26
Editing the kicking game

I’ve got Vanderjagt kicking from 44 yards out, inside the Colts dome. His lifetime % from 40-49 yards is 80%.

Coach Mode kicking

Sliders on Legend
12/20 or 60%; 3 down the middle, 3 missing badly (more than 3 yards)

Sliders @ 40
Test #1: 9/20 or 45%; 6 down the middle, 6 missing badly
Test #2: 9/20 or 45%; 4 down the middle, 7 missing badly

CPU kicking

Sliders on Legend
11/20 or 55%; 6 down the middle, 0 missing badly

CPU kicking
Sliders @ 40
Test #1: 13/20 or 65%; 6 down the middle, 0 missing badly
Test #2: 11/20 or 55%; 4 down the middle, 0 missing badly

Totals:

Coach Mode kicking: 30/60 or 50%; 13 down the middle, 16 missing badly
CPU kicking: 35/60 or 58.3%; 16 down the middle, 0 missing badly

The kicking game is off. It’s literally impossible to get kickers to kick like their real-life counterparts, stats-wise. Poor Todd Peterson, for example, kicks 40% from 44 yards out, when lifetime he’s 70%. The little bit of ratings editing I’ve done suggests you can up the % somewhat by raising Kick Accuracy and the player’s Consistency into the 90’s, but even then it’s not quite enough. Plus you’d have to do that for most kickers: they pretty much all kick at least 70% from that distance.

Two other things that are starting to become apparent: First, Coach Mode kickers are not as accurate as CPU kickers. So Coach Mode gamers are at a disadvantage in the kicking dept. when it comes to playing the CPU. Second, the sliders make little difference. I’ve done some other tests with sliders @ 0, and I honestly saw no difference in the results. One might even argue that breaking the preset – changing Kicking from Legend to 40 – makes things worse, certainly for the Coach kicker. I’m suggesting that because of things I noticed in last year’s game, slider-wise. But I’d have to do more testing.

Another note: While Coach Mode kickers don’t appear to be as accurate, User-controlled kickers have a huge advantage over the CPU, accuracy-wise. I’ve currently got my User kicker set @ Accuracy 39, Consistency 9 to compensate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2004, 01:37 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Editing the kicking game

I’ve got some more kicking numbers using the same test and kicker, except I bumped his Accuracy and Consistency up to 99.

Coach Mode kicking

Sliders on Legend
6/20 or 30%; 2 down the middle, 8 missing badly

Sliders on Rookie
10/20 or 50%; 6 down the middle, 4 missing badly

Sliders @ 40
9/20 or 45%; 3 down the middle, 4 missing badly

CPU kicking

Sliders on Legend
11/20 or 55%; 4 down the middle, 0 missing badly

Sliders @ 40
13/20 or 65%; 5 down the middle, 0 missing badly

Totals:

Coach Mode kicking: 25/60 or 41.6%; 16 missing badly
CPU kicking: 24/40 or 60%; 0 missing badly

This “project” isn’t going to last very long, apparently. Just bump everyone’s numbers up to 99, then cross your fingers when you’re going for that game-winning FG!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »