Home

Is there a way to stop the editor from blowing out names?

This is a discussion on Is there a way to stop the editor from blowing out names? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #1
Rookie

redskinsfan803's Arena

OVR: 1
Is there a way to stop the editor from blowing out names?

It's happened to me twice recently.

I'll finish editing for the day, and when I come back later to work on the same file, I get the name corruption message, and whether I click yes or no, I end up with substantial amount of players with blank first and/or last names.

In both cases, I didn't get the corruption message when I opened the file for the previous editing session. Just wondering what I did wrong.

Things I noticed:

- Many of the names removed were shared.
- Some names that I wrote were split into separate names (in the database). For example, "J.K." is now "J", ".K", and ".".
- Some names that were editable and didn't exist in 2004 no longer have an asterisk, which means the game will now use them for draft prospects.

Does anyone know what makes the editor behave this way? I'd really love for this to not happen again lol.

Aaaaand as I'm typing this, I have an idea of what might have happened, but I want to see if I'm on the right track.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2020, 12:49 PM   #2
Rookie

redskinsfan803's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Is there a way to stop the editor from blowing out names?

I figured it out. Or at least I think.

I was up against the character limit. Kept getting "name space cannot hold new name." Had to go through the database deleting long, unused names to free up some character space. This is accomplished by calling up a name, clearing it, and saving the changes for that player.

I went overboard. My guess is that the game save needs a minimum number of name slots. By clearing out too many names, I must have went under the threshold. The game/editor responded by regenerating the required slots by using what it had...and broke up one slot to create multiples over and over. The players who had names that were deconstructed seem to be the ones who ended up blank.

So nevermind lol.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: Is there a way to stop the editor from blowing out names?

You cant edit all 32 teams in 1 file. break it down. 1-2 teams i do one only just to be safe and upload them to the file you want. Don't edit the main file where you have all 32 teams. Check my channel out on Youtube. ImPosiBowl

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »