Home

CPU vs CPU sliders?

This is a discussion on CPU vs CPU sliders? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2007, 01:53 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
CPU vs CPU sliders?

Hey I just downloaded Puja's sliders, which are awesome by the way, and I was wondering if anyone has had any success with cpu vs cpu sliders. It seems no matter what, neither RB can average over 3 yds a carry and no QB can complete over 50% of their passes. Any suggestions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2007, 12:29 AM   #2
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: CPU vs CPU sliders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The C Unit
Hey I just downloaded Puja's sliders, which are awesome by the way, and I was wondering if anyone has had any success with cpu vs cpu sliders. It seems no matter what, neither RB can average over 3 yds a carry and no QB can complete over 50% of their passes. Any suggestions?

It's been discussed multiple times before. It's difficult to get good in-game performances. capa had some input about it. I don't think it's going to work without tweaked rosters. Give mine a shot and see if you have any success. I wish the pre-game coaching plan sliders would work more efficiently, but it doesn't seem that they do.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:50 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 21

It does depend a bit on what roster set you are using and what tweaks were made to that set for player ratings. However, the game out of the box is defense dominated, so you really have to bump up the offense sliders and lower the defense sliders to see realistic gameplay. Here is what I use (after about 1000 hours of testing and retesting):

Settings (CPU and Human the same)

Block --- 32
Pass --- 40 (maxed out)
Run --- 32
Catch ---40 (maxed out)
Cover --- 0
Pursuit --- 18
Tackle --- 0
Kick --- 40
Fatigue --- 6

Injury --- 20
Fumble --- 23
INT --- 0

8 min qtrs.
EQ "ON"

Your mileage may vary of course. Key to good CPU offense play is a reworking of player ratings as well. Daflyboys has documented that. The bottm line is that you will NEVER get the CPU to play as you totally expect. You always have have INTs in the game that are over the NFL average. However, a good roster set and the sliders above can do a lot to combat unrealistic Coach mode or cpu vs cpu play.

EDIT: one more thing is using one of the better playbooks in the game (Bucs, Seahawks, Dolphins) or creating your own making sure to remove plays that just never work and force INTS removed (1-3 step drops, etc...)

C

Last edited by capa; 10-07-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:07 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

so as far as the playbooks go, do you just assign those playbooks to each team, or do you actually make a custom one for every team?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by The C Unit
so as far as the playbooks go, do you just assign those playbooks to each team, or do you actually make a custom one for every team?

Your going to have to design custom books. It would be a great way for you to contribute to the community here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

I've been using the default rosters and Capa's sliders with decent success. Thanks Capa! But as he mentioned, the QB play remains spotty at best. INT rates are way high and completions are well below average.

I tweaked the roster using Finn's editor, using Capa's suggestions from another Coach mode thread. They helped a bit, but even maxing out QB accuracy, reading coverage, etc. to 127 (the max on Finn's editor) for studs like Manning and Brady, I was still getting sub-par completions and INT's...although I was getting closer to what I wanted.

As it is now, most of the team defenses after I've done my current edits are down in the 40's and 50's. I really lowered the defensive ratings for all defensive players, not just LB and DB...jumping, coverage, aggressiveness, etc. I had to tweak the jumping for DT and DE since I had Kelly Gregg among the league leaders in INTs!

So far the games have not been offensive shootouts. Just the opposite, I had the Ravens and Patriots go to a 17 - 17 OT tie, with Brady passing for over 300 yds and Boller in the low 200's. However, they both had less than 50% completion with a couple of INT's each. Normal for Boller, but not for Brady!

One thing I have noticed is that by pushing the QB ratings up close to 100, they throw the ball downfield more often.

So this weekend I'm going to tweak a little bit more, maybe increasing the catching for WR, TE and RB will help with the completion %. Right now the receivers are getting good separation. I think I just have to get over the reluctance of having super-human ratings for players. Ultimately what does it matter? It's all about how the games plays.

So if I get some decent results, I'll start a new thread and tell you how I got there.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 21

Yes...yes...yes...yes!! Player ratings updates are imperative to get good QB numbers. At one point I attached a spreadsheet here someplace a few months ago with my suggestions for min/max edits.

Sliders will get you 50% of the way there...player ratings get you up to about 90% of the way. Engine is flawed so no one gets 100% realism.

C
Old 01-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Capa,

If you have a copy of that or a link, I'd love to check it out. I know you've put a lot of work into this, so I'm sure you could save me some trouble. Your reccomendations so far have been great. As you said, the engine will only let us get so much realism. But I'm happy with my running game stats. I have Jamal Lewis avg about 5.2 a carry (and this is from ratings based on his 2,000 yd season). But I can't abide QB with less than 50% completions!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders »