Home

Should we REALLY have to adjust sliders to enjoy these games??

This is a discussion on Should we REALLY have to adjust sliders to enjoy these games?? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2004, 08:41 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 3
Should we REALLY have to adjust sliders to enjoy these games??

Everyone is adjusting something. Increase that, decrease this then your game will be better. Remember the days when we could play a game without adjusting everything to have fun? The battle between Madden and Espn is CRAZY, fanboys everywhere or just fans everywhere. I've played madden since 92, but also played John Elway and Joe Montana, hell even Great Football. Super Tecmo Bowl you never adjusted a damn thing and that game is still to this day a classic! Im a fan of all games of course there are good things about Madden and good things about Espn, find the game you like more and run with it. We can play 2 great games for 70 bucks this year, for people without jobs or younger kids that might be alot of money but if you got income its no problem. I can sit here and say every thing thats bad about madden and everything thats bad about Espn but I wont. If someone wants me to I will, but till then I'm just saying you have 2 really good football games now everyone is spoiled. You dont have to Play Madden if you dont want to, and if you dont like Espn you've only lost 20 dollars. Now everyone got me adjusting my sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2004, 09:10 PM   #2
kac
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Should we REALLY have to adjust sliders to enjoy these games??

I agree with you 100% I keep jumping back and forth between madden and espn.I love both of these games and havent even touched the sliders but there are some people on this board that are really good at coming up with sliders to make the games more enjoyable.They put in alot of time and effort.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:20 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

I feel you but at the same time the games just don't do a few things 'right' on the default sliders. Some things can't even be fixed with sliders.

I often wish they weren't even there. I don't even remember problems with older games because it was simple, you either played it or you didn't. Now with all this slider stuff it's very migraine invoking.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:16 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 6

I play All-Star Baseball.... or is that played..... anyway, there are no sliders in the game. There are default levels of play, and a few things you can do to make it easier/harder at each level of play.

I had played High Heat, World Series Baseball, and MVP baseball before, and they ALL had sliders I could manipulate... So I was a little disappointed when I couldn't adjust ASB, but the more I played it the more I realized it was pretty good with out changing anything. Yes there are things I would like to change, but does it destroy the gameplay for me. No.

I've played ESPN NFL and ESPN NHL with no slider mods and enjoyed the game a lot. If Pro was too easy I moved to All-Pro, then I tried Legend, and went back to All-Pro.

Do we have this mentality, of having to play the toughest level and beat it? We manipulate the sliders to make it more 'playable'.

I know there are somethings that are problems, and sliders help that.. Like in ASB, If I could adjust how fast the CPU catcher throws to 2nd on a Steal, I would, but I can't, so I don't let it ruin the game for me.

The point to all the slider madness is find a level that plays well for you, and then adjust the things that give you the best gameplay. Not that has you screaming at the TV because your WR's drop passes... Oh Wait that was Sunday
Old 09-22-2004, 04:18 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 3

Thanks for the feedback. I am not knocking sliders at all I just find it funny how we never had to do this kind of stuff a few years back. Is it the game makers fault that when we get the game home we have to adjust sliders and players attributes for 3 hours just to really have fun with it. Then after all that were like oh yeah this game is better than the other. Why cant we get home and have the perfect game already?? I'm still going back and forth tring to decide which football game I'd rather have a season in, and I bought both games the day they came out. fUNNY THING IF THERE WAS no espn Madden would be great, and if there was no madden espn would be great. I think game makers must love the heavy comp. And I still think we should enjoy both games without knocking the other. Just think next month Live and Espn basketball come out and we get to do this all over again!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2004, 11:18 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

In previous games such as the classic Tecmo Super Bowl, and the Madden series of games, they could get to a point where I was too good for the computer. And then the game just got BORING. Or you get to a high enough level, and the next level up makes the other team artifically better or whatever.

Sliders are just the next evolution in gaming, like graphics, to give you the ability to create the game in your image. We all play differently, and games have evolved to allow that.

The other games game play was far from perfect out of the box, so sliders are really just the next step.

Or something.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:40 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpmath
In previous games such as the classic Tecmo Super Bowl, and the Madden series of games, they could get to a point where I was too good for the computer. And then the game just got BORING. Or you get to a high enough level, and the next level up makes the other team artifically better or whatever.

Sliders are just the next evolution in gaming, like graphics, to give you the ability to create the game in your image. We all play differently, and games have evolved to allow that.

The other games game play was far from perfect out of the box, so sliders are really just the next step.

Or something.
I agree you make it as realistic as you want it to be .Hey if there were not sliders i could not play this game.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:48 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 10

Yes, I remember the good old days, with no sliders. Now I'am a "coach mode" player, so I think that when coach mode is enabled, the sliders should go off, because the CPU is controlling the players.

Like I have always said, there will never be the perfect sliders.... everyone's skill is different.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders »