Home

Sudden changes bring uncertainty, sadness in Seattle

This is a discussion on Sudden changes bring uncertainty, sadness in Seattle within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Sudden changes bring uncertainty, sadness in Seattle

Branch might be an overall 75 in the balanced philosophy because they average speed, acceleration, agility, and catch

but when you switch to speed they only look at speed and acceleration so the average of those two puts him at a 81

LT Torrin Tucker is an example of this...he usually has an 82 OVR 82 POT Rating in Size/Mauler philosophy worse in others, but he's got 80+ in both run blocking and pass blocking...so I usually get him if not as a starter then as a backup...by the end of the first three games he's usually up to 84/84 OVR/POT and I've seen hime get as high as 87/87 in a season.

I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but thats basically how I think it works

Some philosophies work better in different offenses...a run heavy offense benefits from having WR who fit the Strong/Blocker WR Philosophy as you are going to want to have WR who will clear a path downfield...a West Coast style offense with all the timing routes and short passes suits the Quick/Route Runner Philosophy

So for example if I am starting a Raiders Dynasty- Al Davis is screaming to get fast guys so I pick the speed philosophy- well when I look at WR's I'll see them through that filter, going by their OVR I'll see who are the fastest guys out there and can get them. I'll find that many of them have never caught a football in their lives.

If I am starting an a dynasty that will be run first, I choose Strong/Blocker as my WR Philosophy. So when I look at WR I see them through this very different filter. Now I see the strongest best run blocking WR out there by their OVR. I'll find when I get them that many are slow.

hopefully you get the idea.

I like the balanced philosophy at WR as it gives me the best multipurpose guys, since I try to do a lot of different things on offense and don't want to change out guys too much.

The one thing you can look for is guys with the Driven personality trait, I've found they improve quicker than others and don't worry too much about potential...If a guy does well enough and you have decent coaches he can exceed his potential...and then his potential will jump up. You will see guys performing at a high level having OVR higher than their potential which is always the sign of great coaching.

Last edited by kdmajoslin; 07-24-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:35 AM   #34
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

OVR: 6

I know that certain receivers are better with speed phil., blocking etc, but what I was looking for was a way for my receivers to generally perform better until I can get all the pieces in place. I have a run heavy offense, and Branch right now is a 75 in that system. I was hoping that he would do a little better in general if I switch philosophy to speed since his overall shoots up a good number of points. Believe me, I will be working towards getting more players that do well with the philosophy I want to have, but I could only afford so much in year one.

Last edited by Aurabolt127; 07-24-2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #35
MVP

OVR: 12

The only way I know to do what you want is to look closely at guys and figure out how to use them in any given play.

For example WR Adrian Arrington if I recall is speedy but doesn't have great hands. He might be best used as the WR that goes on a Go route, while the WR inside of him goes on an out route. The idea would be that Arrington is fast enough he might get by the DB and be open (even though he might not catch it) or more probably he will pull the DBs back with him and clear the out route for your primary target.

With this said, looking at plays and players this way is amazingly time consuming and requires the computer AI to react in certain ways that it might not.

So long story short, play your games, look for plays that work well for you and use those...the more a guy is successful in your system the better he will become.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #36
MVP

OVR: 26

Changing philosophy will not make the player play any better or worse

Just call me Sanchez
Old 07-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #37
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

Thunderstorms? Rain? Hail? Fine...we'll play in the shade...

Just before Seattle's next game, the GM of the Oakland Raiders contacted Seattle and offered a 3rd round pick in the 2009 draft for LOLB Hill of Seattle. The Coach jumped on it (as in the 4-2-5 the LOLB is a minor part, and it's a waste to have an 82 overall linebacker getting 5 snaps a game), to help fill the spot, he signed undrafted rookie LB Leman and shifted him from MLB to LOLB. A good tackle and forceful hitter, Leman is project for sure, but in that LOLB spot, he's got time to sink or swim.

Just hours after the trade and signing on the defensive side, Seattle sent their 2009 6th rounder to the Jets for unproven, yet talented WR Wallace Wright. Coach Cotignola, in a press conference, explained that Wright was one of those kids that may not look that great on paper, but in pads, they have a desire to become legendary. Well, he's going to get his chance in 2008, as he is now the reserve KR/PR as well as the 4th WR, passing troubled WR FA pickup Jaymar Johnson. Coach Cotignola stated that regarding the receiving corps and starting positions - "It's a war. I need warriors. I need performers. Show me something, and I'll keep showing you the ball." [Courtney Taylor started alongside Malcolm Kelly, with Deion Branch as the 3rd, hopefully exploiting a mismatch in the secondary.]

After the last practice, Coach Cotignola stressed to his team to stop stressing the X's and O's and just play some "damn football!"

Well, bad weather followed the Seahawks to Tampa in week 7 for a game vs the Bucs. That's 5 out of 6 games where it rained or snowed. It didn't change the fact the 'Hawks are still fired up from their last second defeat by the Giants and looking for blood.

{notable Buc rookies: 3rd string CB Aqib Talib and 2nd RB Jonathan Stewart}

Tampa got an early field goal by veteran K Jason Elam to go up 3-0, which was just as quickly countered by a Hasselbeck to 3rd string tight end Leonard Pope pass for an 11 yard score to make it 7-3, Seattle.

Early in the second quarter, starter Jeff Garcia was sacked and knocked out of the game after a hard sack by Tatupu. Garcia's backup, Brian Griese, was more effective though, hitting several medium strikes before the 'Hawks stout run defense forced a punt.

After back up RB/FB Michael Bush scored on a 2 yard plunge to make it 14-3, Griese hit Ike Hilliard on an 18 yard pass to make it 14-10.

After a couple punts, Hasselbeck once again hit his stride - completing 4 straight passes to go along with some nice runs by Booker and Bush before hitting Vernon Davis with a 13 yard pass to make it 21-10.

The rain continued, as did the scoring...

With 9:58 left in the game Carl Stewart ran in a 6 yard TD to make it 28-10. Finally, with 1:52 left, Prater knocked in a short FG to make it 31-10. Tampa kept fighting though, until with 28 seconds left, Ernest Graham was stuffed on 4th and 1 from the goal line to seal the victory, 31-10.

Hasselbeck had a season-high 224 yards passing on 18-26 with 2 TDS.
Stewart was 23-114-1 and Booker chipped in 7-35
Davis (2-19) and Pope (1-7) each had a touchdown reception.
Tatupu had 4 sacks! While Abiamiri had 2, and Buster Davis, Pollard and Barnes also each had 1.

Trevor Laws was inches away from 2 sacks, but couldn't close the deal. Coach Cotignola hasn't made a decision yet, but it is noted Gabe Watson is getting 50-50 reps with the first team.

In news only capable of being termed - INSANE!!! Starting FS Russell got poked in the eye while playing ping pong and is listed as probable for the next game. Rookie Brandon Meriweather, picked up as an undrafted FA in week 2 looks to start over Babineaux if Russell can't go, though Bernard Pollard took a few snaps there too on Tuesday.)

(I've been playing since HC09 came out, I've never heard of the ping pong eye injury "unexpected injury game changer" before. Sigh...I'll get over it, assuming he doesn't miss this game.)

5-1 though, I'm psyched!

Last edited by Aurabolt127; 07-24-2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez_Mareno
Changing philosophy will not make the player play any better or worse
Yeah, it's this. It's just supposed to help you better sort through guys that you want for your scheme.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #39
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

Hasslebeck's 3TDS lift Seahawks over 49ers

Unbelievable! A game without rain!

The game starts off with a bang! Carl Stewart takes his first carry 72 yards for a touchdown! The 49ers answer with a couple field goals to narrow it to 7-6. Hasselbeck hits Courtney Taylor for an 11 yard strike to make it 14-6.

A pick 6 right after would have put it at 21-6, but an interference call ruined that. San Fran punts, and the Seahawks instead start at their own 11. Lorenzo Booker fumbles, and a couple plays later Alex Smith hits Ashley Lelie for a 1 yard TD to make it 14-13.

With 1:13 left in the half, Hasselbeck hits Adrian Arrington for 14 yards and a 21-13 lead.

Second half starts like the first, with a Seattle score as Hasselbeck hits Vernon Davis for a 46 yard touchdown! Jennings picks off Smith right after, but Prater is unable to connect on a 53 yard field goal. However with 9:27 left in the third, Nedney DOES connect, and it's 28-16.

Stewart coughs up a rare fumble with San Francisco and rookie Felix Jones convert into a TD - 28-23

Seattle answers with a short FG to make it 31-23 but there's still a lot of time. San Francisco hits another field goal with just over 4 minutes left to make it 31-26. Seattle begins running hard, and with 1:13 left, an option pitch to Booker scores a 13 yard touchdown to put it away - 38-26. Seattle wins!

Hasselbeck throws 3 TDs on 11-22 passing for 197 yards - no picks.
Stewart was great with 19-135-1, Booker was 3-15-1 each fumbled though.
Courtney Taylor caught 3-31-1, Vernon Davis was 1-46-1 and Arrington was 2-32-1

Pollard had 2 sacks. Abiamiri, Phillips, Laws, Mebane, Watson and Kerney each added 1.

Phillips and Jennings each had a pick.

Kevin Kolb got in on two series in the 3rd quarter and looked good. Hasselbeck, who's nursing a sore back, didn't seem to mind catching a breather.

Sadly, Reserve RB/FB Michael Bush hurt his leg and will miss 3-5 weeks, the Seahaws haven't looked into signing anyone to help shoulder the load, but Coach Cotignola didn't rule it out.

In addition, some players had an unexpected breakthrough via a great Study Session!

Seattle is now 6-1 and looking poised to make a run at the NFC West crown.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »