Home

Eddie Calaway: Coaching His Way To The Top

This is a discussion on Eddie Calaway: Coaching His Way To The Top within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Eddie Calaway: Coaching His Way To The Top

NMSU HIRES NEW HEAD COACH...AGAIN
August 16,2009 16:13 MT
Las Cruces,NM-- Rumors have been escalating around New Mexico State campus that the coaching era of new Aggies head football coach DeWayne Walker had already ended before it even started. Todays press confrence confirmed rumors as NMSU AD McKinley Boston stated that DeWayne Walker has stepped down as head coach of NMSU. AD Boston stated that coach Walker decided that NMSU was not best fit for him and he should return to UCLA defensive coordinator position.
Walker has been a part of the coaching ranks for 21 years at both the collegiate and professional levels. Walker will be returning to UCLA for his fourth season as defensive cordinator. In addition, he served as UCLA’s interim head coach for the 2007 Pioneer Las Vegas Bowl game. Walker, who excelled at coaching defenses for three different organizations in the NFL prior to coming to UCLA, has established himself as one of the top defensive minds in the collegiate game.

The AD wasted no time naming a new head coach in Eddie Calaway. Eddie has had experience as head coach in the high school level in Ohio before being hired. He had brought state titles to his alma mater Oak Hills as a player and coach. Eddie is known as a hard nose coach who loves the "Pittsburgh/Baltimore" types styles meaning 3-4 hard hitting D and run at you till you stop them.
Eddie only had one statement and it defently was a bold one calling out October 31 opponent, "We are going to be on the map of college football before this year is over and well that is because of one thing... We are coming for you Ohio State!"

Last edited by Jnort3; 08-16-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Eddie Calaway: Coaching His Way To The Top

NEW MEXICO STATE AGGIES FACTS

First season 1893
Head coach Josh Northcutt-34th HC

1st year, 0–0
Home stadium Aggie Memorial Stadium
Stadium capacity 30,343
Stadium surface
Location Las Cruces, New Mexico
Conference Western Athletic Conference
Past conferences Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association (1931–1961)
Missouri Valley Conference (1971–1982)
Big West Conference (1983–2000)
Sun Belt Conference (2001–2004)
All-time record 413–548–31 (0.432)
Postseason bowl record 2–0–1 (LAST APP 60')
Conference titles 4
Colors Crimson and white
Rivalries New Mexico
UTEP

Old 08-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Rookie

2009 SCHEDULE
WEEK 1 IDAHO WIN 44-31
WEEK 2 OPEN
WEEK 3 UTEP WIN 21-7
WEEK 4 @ NEW MEXICO WIN 49-35
WEEK 5 @ SAN DIEGO STATE WIN 38-24
WEEK 6 UTAH STATE WIN 35-28
WEEK 7 @ LOUISIANA TECH
WEEK 8 FRESNO STATE
WEEK 9 @ OHIO STATE
WEEK 10 OPEN
WEEK 11@ HAWAII
WEEK 12 NEVADA
WEEK 13 @ SAN JOSE STATE
WEEK 14 @ BOISE STATE

Last edited by Jnort3; 08-26-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Rookie

IDAHO 14 10 7 0 31
NMSU 14 17 10 3 44

Colston Carries NMSU & Eddie Calaway To First W
September 5, 2009 23:44:31 MT

"I am proud of everyone from learning our system so fast. Jeff & Marquell couldn't have done anything more than they did an our D finally came around in the second half. For only having 3 weeks to learn the system I think we did well.”--coach Calaways quote
Las Cruces,NM-- The Eddie Calaway era at New Mexico State couldn't have started any better for senior halfback Marquell Colstonm, as he helped lead the way to a 44-31 victory over Idaho. Marquell won the starting spot with a great preseason scrimage performance and carried it threw today rushing for a carrer high 223 yards on 32 carries and 2 touchdowns.

"I love the system we are running here," stated Marquell. "I have heard doubters my whole life that I couldnt carry the load 20-25 times a game; I am glad coach Calaway is giving me the chance."

NMSU somphmore Quarterback Jeff Flemming also did exactly what coach Calaway ask for from his QB's picking up 219 total yards (163 pass) and 3 td ( 2 pass). Jeff made no mistakes along with the rest of NMSU not turing the ball over once.

As coach Calaway stated it took a whole half but NMSU defensive stepped up and answered the challenge causing two key interceptions in the fourth quarter and holding deonte jackson to only 40 yards (107 in first half). Michael Zant flew around in the secondary totaling up 12 tackles (2 TFL/1sack) and redshirt junior Vincent Federcio brought the pressure from the edge with 2 sacks (5 TACK/3TFL).

Next Up for NMSU is an OPEN week followed up by a match up versus rivals UTEP and NM.

Last edited by Jnort3; 08-16-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
Rookie

UTEP 0 0 0 7 07
NMSU 0 7 7 7 21
NMSU Takes Second Straight Battle of I-10
September 19, 2009 21:07:10 MT

"Feels great to take one from the rival school no doubt about it. We have come a long way in a short period of time; we gotta keep fighting though. There is no time to celebrate this New Mexico is next week!"- Coach Calaway
Las Cruces, NM-- There maybe no better way to start your season off as head coach in a rebuilding year then taking it to a rival school. Led again by great defensive play and senior halfback Marquell Colston, NMSU improved to 2-0 beating UTEP 21-7 to retain the Silver Spade.

This game was exactly the type Eddie Calaway was made to coach in and had prepared the Aggies for. After UTEP pulled with in a touchdown early in the fourth quarter coach Calaway called his offense over.

"I told them that we needed a long drive here." stated coach Calaway. "If we could run the clock and get a nice drive going I promised our defense would finish the job.
The Aggies offense did exactly what coach asked for, running 13 plays and driving 72 yards before caping off the drive with a 27 yard touchdown run by Coloston. The drive resulted in almost four an half minutes bein taken off the clock. UTEP then took the ball over with 3 minutes to go in the game and quickly drove down field before Michael Zant stripped Vittatoe of the ball and recovering it on the 6 yard line. The Aggies picked up another two first downs and ran out the clock.

Marquell and Zent are defently becoming the team leaders. Marqull is only 8 yards away from passing last years rushing total, as he went for 153 yards on 26 carries and picked up a TD. While Michael Zant totaled up another 11 tackles (2TFL).
Next up for NMSU is a match up versus the top rival New Mexico Lobos next Saturady in Albuquerque.

"New Mexico took it to us last year and beat us at home.," stated quarterback Jeff Flemming who had a solid UTEP game with a 105. 1 rating (11-24 154 yds 1 TD 1 INT). "And yes I do understand we haven't beat them since 2002 but this is our turn to go to there house and show them this is a new Aggies team"

Last edited by Jnort3; 08-17-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
Rookie

NMSU 07 14 14 14 49
NM 07 13 08 07 35
NMSU Matches Win Total From Last Year With 49-35 W
"You can't ask for any better of a start at a school. 2-0 vs top rivals and undefeated to start the season. We just got to start playing better defense threw the air."- Coach Calaway
Albuquerque, NM- After a 6 year losing streak to top rival New Mexico; New Mexico State goes into Albuquerque and defeats the Lobos 49-35 in a shoot out. Failing to get the runnning game started till late NMSU realied on QB Jeff Flemming arm and it worked as he went 14-21 for 206 yards with 4 TD and a INT.

"It felt good to finally step up and show coach Calaway I can lead the way," answered Flemming. "I have been wanting to throw the ball more than we have and when Marquell couldn't get the run game going I knew it was my time to shine."

Colston only ran for 22 yards on 9 carries in the first half, after suffering from a hip burstistis. Colston turned it on late though finishing with another 100 yard game (122 yards) on 22 carries including a TD.

As for the disappointment on defense of end it defently was threw the air. NMSU didn't allow a yard of rushing but was killed threw the air as NM Donovan Porterie couldn't miss going 32-40 for 406 yards and 4 TD. Daryl Jones seemed to be on the end of most of the receptions in the open field as he brought down 11 catches for 155 yards; while Lucas Reid was Porterie favorite red zone threat catching 2 TD (4 rec 55 yds).

Stepping up on defensive late and help slowing the pass game down was senior OLB Justin Alford; who went out with a bang in his last Rio Grande Rivalry Game making 8 tackles (4TFL) and 3 sacks.

"Porterie just seemed to find the open man most of the game. Late though we ended up gettin pressure and Justin Alford stepped up big." stated coach Calaway. "We are defently going to need that next week. This here is when boys become men!"

Coach Calaway defently has his words right as NMSU will head to 3-1 San Diego State. A win will put NMSU in great shape to make a bowl game with Utah State and Hawaii left on the schedule.

Last edited by Jnort3; 08-17-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Rookie

NMSU 0 17 14 7 38
SDSU 3 0 7 14 24
Colston Career Day Keeps NMSU Undefeated Season Alive
October 3, 2009 1:14:38 MT
"I am extremly happy with the way everyone played today. I made this mistake and thought the game was over before it actually wast though. It wont happen again."- Coach Calaway
San Diego, CA- Just as head coach Eddie Calaway stated in his post game press confrence; he made a mistake and thought the game was over before it actually was.

After going into the fourth with a 31-10 lead Calaway decided to pull his starters and let his second string get some playing time. Next thing he knew though Ryan Lindley led a 8 play 60 yard drive for 6 to get with in fourteen. The Aztecs then forced a three and out an followed that up with another touchdown drive going 65 yards on 10 plays to pull with in a touchdown with 3:22 to go. Calaway was then forced to put back in the starters and hope Marquell could run out the clock; he did one better though scoring from 13 yards out to clinch the game.

"I was actually beggin coach to leave me in," stated Colston. "I was always told it's not over till the clock strikes zero and it hit zero but not the important one. Plus I can't lie I wanted the record." Marquell seemed unstoppable today and continued his dominance picking up 288 yards rushing on 25 carries along with 4 touchdowns.

The one downside of the game though was the continuing struggles of NMSU secondary and shutting down one man. QB Ryan Lindley went 25-38 for 349 yards and 2 touchdowns with DeMarco Sampson being on the recieving end of 3 passes for 101 yards an a touchdown.

"We have to step up out there and start defending better;" said Michael Zant. "We are gettin plenty of pressure back there it just were not locking down the reciver so our blitzers can get there. When we do well... The quarterback has being seeing stars."

Michael Zant is lying when he states that as NMSU did put pressure on the QB yet again totaling up 5 sacks.

Next up for NMSU is the Utah State Aggies at home. NMSU should be able to roll past Utah State but anything can happen in college football.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
Rookie

NMSU Escapes Aggie Bowl With W
USU 7 7 7 7 28
NMSU 7 7 7 14 35
"It wasn't pretty but I'll take it."- Coach Calaway
Las Cruces, NM- In what should have been a blow out victory by NMSU turned into a back an forth match up that looked like it was guaranteed to go into overtime before New Mexico State Marquell Colston (23 carries 128 yds) ran in his second touchdown of the day, from 5 yards out, with 42 seconds to go in the game. Utah State refused to give in though driving all the way down field before being stopped on NMSU 7 yard line as time expired. The stop kept NMSU undefeated season alive as they escaped with a 35-28 victory versus the Utah State Aggies.

The game suprisingly turned into a shoot out as both teams struggled to run early in the game. USU Jeffery Fischer went 22-34 for 284 yards and 2 touchdowns to continue to NMSU secondary struggles. NMSU Jeff Flemming though stepped up going 19-29 with 368 total yards and 3 touchdowns (337/2 passing).

"I was impressed with his ability to lead our team," said Eddie Calaway. "He hasn't had much oppurtunity to throw the ball and it defently showed early on," reffering to Flemmings 3 interceptions. "Yet when we needed him to step up and give us that long drive he did it."

Now after a 5-0 start and only 1 game away from bowl eligibilty NMSU will travel to Louisiana Tech.

RECRUITS AT GAME
  • DT #58 ** Garrett Williams--> currently #1 choice
  • HB #77 ** Kevin Holmes--> currently #3 choice behind Rice & ULL
  • TE #98 ** Eric Anderson--> currently #1 choice
  • CB #143 ** Daniel Faulk--> currently #2 behind ARMY

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »