Home

Let's Go Zips! An Akron Zips Dynasty

This is a discussion on Let's Go Zips! An Akron Zips Dynasty within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55
Let's Go Zips! An Akron Zips Dynasty

Akron, OH - J.D. Brookhart looked out of his office in the new Summa Field at InfoCision Stadium, looking over the field where he thought he would be coaching. However, Tom Wistrcill, the incoming Akron athletic director, decided that Brookhart was no longer the answer that the Zip football program needed. Brookhart was hired by Wistrcill's predecessor, Mack Rhoades, before the 2004 season, and went 27-33 in five seasons.

"At this time, Coach Brookhart has been let go," said Wistrcill in a press conference, "We have begun search for a new head coach. We'd like to take this opportunity to thank Mr. Brookhart for his work here at Akron."

Brookhart started out at Akron, and found success immediately, posting a 13-11 record, including an appearance in the Motor City Bowl, ending in a 38-31 loss to Memphis.

"Well, I can't blame Tom. The last three seasons, the team underperformed, and when that happens, there's only one person to blame. I loved my time here at Akron," said Brookhart in a statement to the local papers.

There have been no announcements on who the Zips are looking for, although, there are rumors that Akron boosters are looking heavily at Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster, UL-Lafayette head coach Rickey Bustle, and former NFL head coach Scott Linehan.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

Re: Let's Go Zips! An Akron Zips Dynasty

Akron, OH - When the Akron Zips ended last season on a 3 game losing streak, many fans of the program saw the writing on the wall. When J.D. Brookhart was dismissed yesterday, a new problem arose: who will be the next Akron head coach?

Some of the candidates mentioned before have publicly made their intentions clear. Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster has turned down the coaching job, stating that "it just isn't the right time for me to leave Blacksburg." Rickey Bustle also turned down the coaching job, saying that "it just wouldn't be right to leave the kids at ULL."

Scott Linehan, former St. Louis Rams coach, however, has not said anything publicly about the Akron head coaching job, although it is thought in the Akron fanbase that it would be a long shot.

One player that has shown up on the radar is a young graduate assistant for the Virginia Tech Hokies, Michael Snider. After graduating in 3 years from Radford University, he came to help Bud Foster's defense as a graduate assistant. "I really want to be a head coach, and if Akron comes calling, I won't turn them down. It would be an amazing opportunity for me."

If Snider is to be the new Akron head coach, he would be the youngest ever coach of a college football team, at age 21. It is expected that Snider would bring a run-first, Virginia Tech-style offense and a 4-3 defensive look. A representative for the Akron athletics office had no comment.

OS OT Post Champ '11

Old 09-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

Akron, OH - Akron must have had their candidate pegged and ready to come in when they fired J.D. Brookhart, because they announced his successor today in a surprise press conference.

"I know that some of you thought we were crazy when we fired J.D. Brookhart," said Akron athletic director Tom Wistrcill at the press conference today, "but we have found the face of Akron football for years to come."

At this point, a decorative curtain dropped. All of the reporters' jaws did the same.

Standing behind the curtain was 21-year old Michael Snider, former graduate assistant for Virginia Tech. By assuming the open Akron Zips head coaching position, he becomes the youngest head coach in the history of college football.

"Coach Snider! Do you think your youth will be a disadvantage?" Akron Beacon Journal reporter Tom Gaffney asked of the new coach.

"Absolutely not, Mr. Gaffney. I can identify with the players here at Akron, and I believe that they'll respond to the way I want to run this program. I would like to put all of the other teams in the MAC on notice. My offense will smash you in the mouth. We will run the ball down your throat. I challenge everyone to attempt to stop it."

This change in philosophy will probably not work in the Zips' favor, at least for this season, as the roster is tooled around J.D. Brookhart's spread offense. But Coach Snider is upbeat.

"These kids may know the spread inside and out. But I talked with the running backs and the offensive lines, and they really like what I want to do. They love that grinding game where it is really on them to knock opponents in the dirt. Alex Allen will be the centerpiece of this offense, and he has let me know that he's ready for the opportunity. We've also got some great youth in our running backs, and we'll be able to coach 'em up and make them into the players that not only will excel at the collegiate level, but also in the NFL."

This change has not pleased some players on the team, however, as Senior QB Chris Jacquemain displayed his displeasure: "This offense is vanilla, and we will not be able to win this way. I'm not happy about how the athletics department has handled this situation."

Coach Snider, however, has fired a warning shot, using Jacquemain as an example.

"Yes, I've heard Chris' comments, and that kind of thing will not be tolerated here at Akron. I have suspended him for half of the season. He will be re-eligible to play with the team after the Buffalo game. Until then, Matt [Rodgers] will be the leader of the offense."

Coach Snider also released a list of redshirted players after the conference:

HB Dale Martin (SO, 75 ovr)
SS Shawn Lemon (JR, 73 ovr)
SS Tyler Campbell (JR, 73 ovr)
QB Patrick Nicely (FR, 72 ovr)
WR Troy Eison (JR, 71 ovr)
WR Jeremy LaFrance (JR, 70 ovr)
CB Emmanuel Lartey (FR, 70 ovr)
HB Broderick Alexander (FR, 69 ovr)
DT Phil Tonga (JR, 68 ovr)
FS Will Fleming (FR, 63 ovr)
TE Grant Williams (FR, 61 ovr)
LE Deni Odofin (JR, 60 ovr)
TE Jon Root (FR, 54 ovr)

The Akron athletics department has also changed their schedule. Instead of playing Morgan State in week 2, the Akron Zips have inked a home and home deal with the Florida State Seminoles, who will not be facing Jacksonville State that week. This year, the Zips will travel to Tallahassee, leaving the schedule to look like this:

2009 Akron Zips Schedule
WeekOpponent
1@ #8 Penn State
2@ #20 Florida State
3Indiana
4@ Central Michigan *
5OPEN
6Ohio *
7@ Buffalo
8@ Syracuse
9@ Northern Illinois *
10Kent State *
11Temple *
12@ Bowling Green *
13Eastern Michigan *
14MAC Conference Championship Game

OS OT Post Champ '11

Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

Contract Goals:

Beat Kent State
Receive a Bowl Bid
Beat Penn State

Comment:

Akron fans are expecting great things from you this season. Don't disappoint them.

Preseason Rankings

1. Florida
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas
4. USC
5. LSU
6. Alabama
7. Ohio State
8. Penn State
9. Oklahoma State
10. Virginia Tech
11. Ole Miss
12. Oregon
13. Georgia
14. Boise State
15. Cal
16. North Carolina
17. BYU
18. Georgia Tech
19. TCU
20. Florida State
21. Nebraska
22. Iowa
23. West Virginia
24. Utah
25. Kansas
100. Akron

MAC Conference Predictions

East:

Buffalo
Temple
Bowling Green
Kent State
Miami (OH)
Akron
Ohio

West:

Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Ball State
Toledo
Northern Illinois
Eastern Michigan

OS OT Post Champ '11

Last edited by The GIGGAS; 09-15-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

Week 1 Recruiting Commits

CB Seth King (2*, #161, Mullins, SC)

OS OT Post Champ '11

Last edited by The GIGGAS; 10-03-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

Good luck!

My Video Game Streams
Old 09-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #7

Marino's Arena

Following...duh.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyros
Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino
Following...duh.
Thanks guys. I hope to have the first real update either on Sunday or Monday. I am probably going to get shellacked by the Nittany Lions.

OS OT Post Champ '11

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »