Home

Here we go W-Y-O (NCAA 10 dynasty)

This is a discussion on Here we go W-Y-O (NCAA 10 dynasty) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: Here we go W-Y-O (NCAA 10 dynasty)

WVU in the SEC....I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM WIN THE DIVISION!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 12:10 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 7

SEASON 2 COACHES' DIARY

One of the things I've forgotten to mention is for us, it's all about 3rd down conversions. If we convert on 3rd down, we win ballgames. When we don't, it's usually apparent we're going to lose.

That said, the team started off the year firing on all cylinders. We beat North Dakota in the first game of my tenure that I'd say is "winning a game you're supposed to win decisively." And that felt good, to put it mildly.

The same thing happened when we traveled on the road to Youngstown State. I mean, this is a good football team and we dismantled them in their own building. We were supposed to, but...last year, that's the sort of game that we'd have won by the skin of our teeth.

So if nothing else, it was evident that we evolved and grew and I saw a lot of that progress on the field with my players on both sides of the ball.

So again, we went into the end of our non-conference schedule 3-0, with a tough game against a non-conference opponent on the road to end that part of the off-season. This time, it was #1 Rhode Island, who had moved up after being #5 to start the year. This would be a real stiff test for our squad and yet, I think having the Oklahoma experience last year, really emboldened the team for what was possible.

We lost to Rhode Island 24-14, on the fault of two really key possessions that we blew by throwing interceptions. It was one of the most frustrating games I've had with this team, because it was such a winnable game. I mean, we were driving down the field in both cases and one of the picks was in the red zone. It was just poor execution, but if we're afraid to throw the ball, we're simply going to lose, because good teams stop the run quickly on us.

That put us at 3-1 on the season thus far, heading into our Big XII schedule.

My expectations for the Big XII schedule were a bit mixed. I mean, last year we went 8-4 in the regular season not counting the Big XII title game and our loss in a bowl game. So really, I didn't know kind of team I had. I know we overachieved last year and that we're better personnel wise now, but that's all I knew.

After losing three straight heading into the Texas game, I just wanted to get off the losing track somehow. They came to Laramie, so I felt like that gave us a fighting chance in that one. The gameplan wasn't any different than the games we'd lost to Rhode Island or Arkansas, except this time I took fewer risks and was more apt to try to milk the clock when I could. But really, I just took fewer playcalling risks in the hopes that we'd be able to salvage our opportunities when we got them.

So in the end, it resulted in a victory of the #8 team in the country, when we'd come close all year, we got that crowning victory we needed at a critical time of the season.

But in all honesty, it was probably just as much a failure of them to execute as it was out ability to stop them. Still, a win is a win. One we sorely needed.

The Oklahoma State game was all about the same strategy. But this time, I think I've learned how to take points when we get the chance. In the past, I'd go for it close on 4th in the red zone to try to get the touchdown. Now? I've started just taking the 3 points and trusting my defense to hold it up. It's been a better tactic for us, because we've learned having points is better than not, really. But what it shows is, the team is learning to win and that's really better than just say, going into games and hoping we come out with a victory.

So I'm getting confidence in the team as we go forward. That was validated after knocked off Texas A&M for our third straight win against a ranked opponent this season. That game was a boxing match all the way through and we worked the judges until the last round when we delivered the knockout punch. They didn't knock us out early, so we managed to beat them on the ground as we have so much this year.

So heading into our bye week, a week before our last regular season game of the year against Colorado, we were ranked #24 in the nation at 8-3. We also inked 3 4-star recruits including two 4-star halfbacks and a guard. This is great, because I've wanted to run the wildcat, but haven't had the personnel to do it a lot and now we'll be able to do that starting next year.

We rose to #21 before our game against Colorado. The game was tied 14-14 with eight seconds left and then well..this happened:

With that, we end the regular season 9-3 and headed into Week 14 at #18 in the country. Seems like we'll be in the Big XII title game for the 2nd straight year, but I haven't looked at the standings yet. In any case, I would say we made huge strides and I'm excited to see how it ends, but more importantly, how good next year might be for us.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:13 AM   #19
Rookie

We're not in the Big XII title game. Boise State, who beat us and went 8-0 in conference play and is ranked #5 in the country will be there instead. So we'll be headed to some sort of second-tier bowl. In a way, I prefer this. Keeps us burning for next year and what it might offer up and our upcoming juniors who've lettered since freshman year will know what they're missing now that we're not headed to a BCS bowl game.

Prior to the title game, we're projected to go to the Holiday Bowl against Cal as the #3 Big 12 team. But I guess we'll see where the chips fall.

Quote:
WEEK 1: @ UCLA (W, 38-31 OT)
WEEK 2: NORTH DAKOTA (W, 43-22)
WEEK 3: @ Youngstown State (W, 42-24)
WEEK 4: #5 RHODE ISLAND (L, 24-14)
WEEK 5: BOISE STATE (L, 25-21)
WEEK 6: @ BYU (W, 47-33)
WEEK 7: @ Arkansas (L, 34-28)
WEEK 8: #4 TEXAS (W, 17-10)
WEEK 9: @ # 8 Oklahoma State (W, 19-14)
WEEK 10: MISSOURI (W, 25-10)
WEEK 11: @ Texas A&M (W, 21-14)
WEEK 12: BYE
WEEK 13: COLORADO (W, 21-14)
WEEK 14: BYE

Last edited by Dark Cloud; 10-31-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:25 AM   #20
Rookie

Here's the 2010 Bowl Schedule:

Quote:
NEW MEXICO BOWL: Nevada (6-6) v. Rice (6-6)
ST. PETERSBURG BOWL: North Texas (7-5) v. Minnesota (6-6)
EAGLEBANK BOWL: Ohio (6-6) v. SMU (6-6)
NEW ORLEANS BOWL: UCF (6-6) v. Louisiana Tech (11-1)
LAS VEGAS BOWL: Washington (8-4) v. Baylor (10-2)
POINSETTIA BOWL: Rutgers (7-5) v. Kansas (10-2)
HAWAII BOWL: Vanderbilt (9-3) v. Hawaii (8-4)
MOTOR CITY BOWL: #25 UMASS (8-4) v. #23 Chicago (10-3)
EMERALD BOWL: Louisville (6-6) v. #17 Oregon (8-4)
HOLIDAY BOWL: #12 Wyoming (9-3) v. #11 California (9-3)
MEINEKE CAR CARE BOWL: #16 UNC (8-4) v. Northern Illinois (6-6)
CHAMPS SPORTS BOWL: Ohio State (8-4) v. Miami (6-5)
INTERNATIONAL BOWL: Youngstown State (8-4) v. Richmond (6-6)
INDEPENDENCE BOWL: Maine (7-5) v. Nebraska (8-4)
PAPAJOHNS.COM BOWL: Texas (6-6) v. Texas Tech (6-6)
HUMANITARIAN BOWL: Wake Forest (6-6) v. San Diego State (8-3)
GMAC BOWL: #21 Indiana (9-3) v. Memphis (8-4)
TEXAS BOWL: UTEP (8-5) v. Colorado (6-6)
ARMED FORCES BOWL: #18 Delaware (8-4) v. Kansas State (8-4)
SUN BOWL: #14 UCLA (8-4) v. Oklahoma State (7-5)
MUSIC CITY BOWL: Georgia (7-5) v. Clemson (6-6)
CHICK-FIL-A BOWL: Florida State (8-4) v. NC State (7-5)
INSIGHT BOWL: Oklahoma (8-5) v. Boston College (7-5)
OUTBACK BOWL: Florida (8-4) v. #22 Wisconsin (8-4)
GATOR BOWL: Northwestern (7-5) v. Maryland (8-4)
CAPITAL ONE BOWL: #13 Alabama (9-3) v. Cincinnati (8-4)
ROSE BOWL: #7 Notre Dame (11-1) v. #6 USC (11-1)
SUGAR BOWL: #9 West Virginia (11-2) v. #8 Iowa (10-2)
COTTON BOWL: Ole Miss (8-5) v. Arkansas (8-3)
LIBERTY BOWL: South Carolina (6-6) v. Houston (11-2)
ORANGE BOWL: #4 Virginia Tech (12-1) v. #5 Oregon State (9-3)
FIESTA BOWL: #3 Boise State (11-1) v. #10 LSU (8-4)
ALAMO BOWL: #15 Texas A&M (9-3) v. Michigan State (6-6)
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: #2 Rhode Island (10-2) v. #1 Georgia Tech (10-1)
Old 10-31-2009, 01:45 AM   #21
Rookie

Wyoming wins the Holiday Bowl 35-31. I would've had video of the last play, but forgot to save it before it ended.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2009, 01:48 AM   #22
Rookie

So we end the season at 10-3 and ranked #9. Georgia Tech beat Rhode Island 28-21 to win the National Title. I was offered the Michigan job and the Oklahoma job, but obviously I'm staying.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:42 AM   #23
Rookie

The end of Year 3 recruiting period is done and we have the

#30recruiting class in the country. It's a pretty big improvement for

us and I'm pretty happy with the kids we managed to bring in which

includes 8 4-star players. I got a few pure athletes that I know can

be converted to other positions and that might be a real boon for us,

too.

Here's our schedule for Season 3. Our preseason rank is #22.

Quote:
WEEK 1: @ Montana
WEEK 2: @ Colorado State (rivalry game)
WEEK 3: FLORIDA STATE
WEEK 4: @ #2 Notre Dame
WEEK 5: BYU
WEEK 6: @ Missouri
WEEK 7: OKLAHOMA STATE
WEEK 8: #17 TEXAS A&M
WEEK 9: @ #25 TEXAS
WEEK 10: @ #9 BOISE STATE
WEEK 11: #21 ARKANSAS
WEEK 12: BYE
WEEK 13: @ Colorado
WEEK 14: BYE
My expectations? Hmm...we're really ramping up the offense this year to run more Wildcat. It'll be interesting to see how we get through the non-conference. Notre Dame is an obvious foil and on paper, we have no shot to go in there and do much of anything. But save for that, the conference schedule always proves interesting for one reason or another.

I have no idea what to expect. But off the top of my head? I'd say another 9-3 regular season. Realistically, I should expect us to run through the conference schedule and lose just once, but only because of how we've raised the bar. But I'm not convinced we're that good yet.

I guess we're going to see.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »