Home

A College Football Playoff? Playoffs?!? (NCAA 10)

This is a discussion on A College Football Playoff? Playoffs?!? (NCAA 10) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
MVP

Maize08's Arena

OVR: 6
A College Football Playoff? Playoffs?!? (NCAA 10)

2009 NCAA Division I Football Championship
The controversy surrounding the BCS system has been present since its inception in 1992. The Bowl Championship Series was designed to ensure the top two teams in the nation would play each other. The problem being, it hasn't always been easy to determine the top two teams in the country.

Many pundits, fans, analysts, and even players and coaches have come out in favor of a playoff system to determine the national champion. A playoff system is used in all other collegiate team sports to determine a national champion. Most notably, the Men's Basketball Championship.

In addition, a playoff system is used at all other levels of collegiate football: FCS, Division II, and Division III. A similar formula is used in each; taking the top 24 teams, setting them in regions, seeding them and playing it over a five week span.

My idea is to take the playoff system used currently for football and apply it to Division I. This year seems the best time to experiment with it, seeing as five teams ended the season undefeated. Yet only two will play for the National Championship.

Game Information
Platform: Playstation 2
Game: NCAA Football '10
Rosters: PS2 Roster Community Project. Updated myself to the actual rosters for all 24 teams, including ratings changes, depth chart and starter changes, and injuries.
Difficulty: Heisman
Quarter Length: 7 Minutes
Gameplay: I will not be playing any of the games. Instead, I will smiulate the games, and post the box score so that everyone can follow. I want an accurate game, so I will be using sliders that I have custom. I will sim a few games and continue to tweak until I am happy with the outcomes. I am not looking to bias the results, but get legitimate results.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
MVP

Maize08's Arena

Re: A College Football Playoff? Playoffs?!? (NCAA 10)

Bowl Championship Series Timeline

1992 - Started as the Bowl Coalition, the idea was to "increase the likelihood" of having the top two teams play and to create other exciting bowl match-ups. Considered a success in its inagural season, the top two teams faced each other in the Sugar Bowl. When Alabama and Miami met that year, it was the first time #1 and #2 met in a bowl game since 1987.

1994 - Two teams finished the season undefeated, Penn State and Nebraska, and Nebraska was named National Champion. Changes were set to be made and it would be the final year of the "Bowl Coalition."

1995 - The Bowl Coalition was replaced with the Bowl Alliance. The Alliance involved three bowls: the Fiesta, Orange and Sugar. A new strategy was used to place conference champions in one of the bowl games. The Bowls themselves would pick the match-up they wanted each year. The Sugar Bowl had the first selection and #1 Nebraska had a dominant victory of #2 Florida, on their way to a National Championship.

1997 - This year would mark the only year in the history of the Bowl Coalition or Alliance with a split National Champion. Top-ranked Michigan topped Washington State and the Media's Poll. But Michigan fell to #2 in the Coaches Poll to Nebraska. The result reaffirmed a glaring weakness in the Bowl Alliance: No Pac-10 or Big Ten Conference Champion involved in the rotation.

1998 - The Bowl Alliance strategy is scrapped in favor of the Bowl Championship Series (BCS). This included a fourth bowl game, the Rose Bowl, which had historically paired the Pac-10 and Big Ten Champions. The tradition of the game continued, but also put the Rose Bowl in the rotation of Bowl Games given the chance to host the National Championship.

2001 - The first time in the 55 year history of the Rose Bowl that the game did not involve a Pac-10 and Big Ten team. Instead, Miami defeated Nebraska for the National Championship in Pasadena. Nebraska lost its' last game of the season to Colorado, yet snuck by Oregon in the BCS standings. Oregon has only one loss but would not get a chance to play the undefeated Hurricanes.

2004 - Four teams finished the season undefeated, and three went on to win their bowl games. USC was crowned National Champion by defeating Oklahoma (12-1), while Auburn (13-0) and Utah (12-0) - were ranked second and third respectievly in all polls. This was the first time a school from a non-BCS affiliated conference finished the season undefeated. Utah, who earned an at-large bid, did not have an opportunity to play for the National Championship.

2006 - To fix the problem of at-large teams making BCS bowl games, a fifth game is designated to be the National Championship. Florida wins a stunning National Championship game, their first of two in three years, by defeating previously undefeated Ohio State. Boise State beats Oklahoma in a thrilling Sugar Bowl. Yet another year where an undefeated, at-large team is not given a chance at the National Championship.

2008 - Only one team, Utah, finishes the season undefeated. Yet, two one-loss teams play in the BCS Championship. Florida defeats Oklahoma, while Utah beats Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. Garnering first place votes, Utah is snubbed the National Championship in favor of the Florida Gators.

December, 2009 - NCAA President James Isch asks for the BCS Bowl games to be suspended for one season in favor of a playoff. Using the model of the FCS football bracket, 24 teams will play over a four-and-a-half week span for the National title game; still played in Pasadena, California on January 7th. A "one year experiment" could become permanent if it is successful.

Last edited by Maize08; 12-07-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
MVP

Maize08's Arena

News Around College Football

Playoff Rankings
Rankings are tabulated using BCS Standings. Eleven teams are given automatic bids due to conference championship. Thirteen other teams are eligible as at-large teams, based on BCS Standings.
1. Alabama*
2. Texas*
3. Cincinnati*
4. TCU*
5. Florida
6. Boise State*
7. Oregon*
8. Ohio State*
9. Georgia Tech*
10. Iowa
11. Virginia Tech
12. LSU
13. Penn State
14. BYU
15. Miami (FL)
16. West Virginia
17. Pittsburgh
18. Oregon State
19. Oklahoma State
20. Arizona
21. Stanford
22. Central Michigan*
23. East Carolina*
24. Troy*
* - Conference Champion

Tournament Seeds
Seeds are based on Playoff Rankings. #1 Seeds must be champions of their respective conference. #1 and #2 Seeds are given byes for first round of playoffs.
#1 Seeds - Alabama, Texas, Cincinnati, TCU
#2 Seeds - Florida, Boise State, Oregon, Ohio State
#3 Seeds - Georgia Tech, Iowa, Virginia Tech, LSU
#4 Seeds - Penn State, BYU, Miami, West Virginia
#5 Seeds - Pittsburgh, Oregon State, Oklahoma State, Arizona
#6 Seeds - Stanford, Central Michigan, East Carolina, Troy

Game Location, Time, etc.
First two rounds, higher seed hosts the game at their home stadium. For third round (Regional Final), neutral sites are determined based on geographic location of schools. Four sites for Regional Finals are: Pasadena, California, New Orleans, Louisiana, Orlando, Florida, and Las Vegas, Nevada. Times for games is based on location of game. Sites for National Semifinals are predetermined. For Region 1 and 4, game will be played in Glendale, Arizona. Regions 2 and 3 game will be played in Miami, Florida. Live Television Broadcasts will be available on the ESPN Family of Networks, including ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC.

Last edited by Maize08; 12-07-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
MVP

Maize08's Arena

2009 NCAA DI Football Championship Bracket (Region 1) - First Round

--
(1) Alabama Crimson Tide (13-0) - Bye
-
(6) Troy Trojans (8-4) vs. (5) Arizona Wildcats (8-4)
December 11th - Arizona Stadium - Tuscon, Arizona (10:00 PM on ESPN)
--
-
--
(4) West Virginia Mountaineers (9-3) vs. (3) Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (10-2)
December 12th - Bobby Dodd Stadium - Atlanta, GA (7:00 PM on ESPN2)
-
(2) Ohio State Buckeyes (10-2) - Bye
--
Full Bracket

Last edited by Maize08; 12-09-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
MVP

Maize08's Arena

2009 NCAA DI Football Championship Bracket (Region 2) - First Round

--
(1) Texas Longhorns (13-0) - Bye
-
(6) Stanford Cardinals (8-4) vs. (5) Pittsburgh Panthers (9-3)
December 12th - Heinz Field - Pittsburgh, PA (7:00 PM on ESPN)
--
-
--
(4) Miami Hurricanes (9-3) vs. (3) Iowa Hawkeyes (10-2)
December 11th - Kinnick Stadium - Iowa City, IA (7:00 on ESPN)
-
(2) Oregon Ducks (10-2) - Bye
--
Full Bracket

Last edited by Maize08; 12-09-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
MVP

Maize08's Arena

2009 NCAA DI Football Championship Bracket (Region 3) - First Round

--
(1) Cincinnati Bearcats (12-0) - Bye
-
(6) Central Michigan Chippewas (11-2) vs. (5) Oregon State Beavers (8-4)
December 12th - Beaver Stadium - Corvallis, OR (10:00 PM on ESPN)
--
-
--
(4) BYE Cougars (10-2) vs. (3) Virginia Tech Hokies (9-3)
December 11th - Lane Stadium - Blacksburg, VA (7:00 PM on ABC)
-
(2) Boise State Broncos (12-0) - Bye
--
Full Bracket

Last edited by Maize08; 12-09-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
MVP

Maize08's Arena

2009 NCAA DI Football Championship Bracket (Region 4) - First Round

--
(1) TCU Horned Frogs (12-0) - Bye
-
(6) East Carolina Pirates (9-4) vs. (5) Oklahoma State Cowboys (10-3)
December 11th - Boone Pickens Stadium - Stillwater, OK (7:00 PM on ESPN2)
--
-
--
(4) Penn State Nittany Lions vs. (3) LSU Tigers (9-3)
December 12th - Tiger Stadium - Baton Rouge, LA (7:00 PM on ABC)
-
(2) Florida Gators (12-1) - Bye
--
Full Bracket

Last edited by Maize08; 12-09-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
MVP

Maize08's Arena

Feel free to post now. I will be updating all of the above information over the next two days. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, etc.

Then I hope to start posting results this weekend.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »