Home

Baltimore Ravens (Madden 10)

This is a discussion on Baltimore Ravens (Madden 10) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2009, 04:41 AM   #1
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
Baltimore Ravens (Madden 10)

Madden 10 (360)
Roster: November 10th Official Roster
Sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-gameplay.html

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

Re: Baltimore Ravens (Madden 10)

PRESEASON QUESTIONS ARE FEW BUT KEY FOR RAVENS TEAM THAT WAS ONE WIN AWAY FROM SUPER BOWL

OWINGS MILLS, MD -
The Baltimore Ravens walked off the field in disgust. Although they were overachievers the entire year, amassing a 13-3 record with a rookie quarterback and head coach, they couldn't help but look back at what few mistakes they made in a 23-14 loss to the eventual Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers. It was a hard pill to swallow for many players that had been through this heated rivalry through the years. The loss would be the final in season sweep for the yellow and black, and one many players from Baltimore still hold with them through training camp.

“We’re still in shock. I think we’re all disappointed still," said Raven's OLB Terrell Suggs. "We went in there to win, but we didn’t. They won three times. I look at it as they did what they had to do to get to the Super Bowl. This year, things will be different.”

And by different, Suggs is looking directly at the Steel Curtain. Coming into the season as the favorite to win the AFC North and go back to the big game, Baltimore is preparing for another two, and possibly three, brutal games against Pittsburgh. But you need to look no further than their schedule to see that the Steelers are not the only worries the Ravens have this year.

Road games against the Chargers, Vikings, Patriots and Packers stand out while a huge home game against the Indianapolis Professional Football Team will further test the Ravens' mettle and will to get back to the AFC Championship. Combined with the always tough AFC North and a fully healthy Carson Palmer leading the Bengals, Baltimore has more to worry about then just the top rivalry in football this year.

And while most of the starting positions are set, there will definitely be a few questions marks on the field when the Ravens open their season against the Kansas City Chiefs on September 13:

How strong is the other safety?
With the loss of Jim Leonhard to the Jets, SS Dawan Landry will have to step up to his 2007 form. He is coming off neck surgery and will need to be able to patrol the middle of the field physically to be effective. His coverage skills are lackluster and Baltimore will need to be creative to hide him if they want to keep their base 3-4 defense on the field a majority of the time. If he can't do the job, look for second year Golden Domer Tom Zbikowski to step in.

Sophmore Slump?
Joe Flacco was the first rookie quarterback to ever win two post season games in his first NFL season. He was a game manager and used effectively most of the year, and made plays when asked, which wasn't often. In his second season he will be asked to shoulder more of the load. His progression will likely be key for the Ravens this year and will be needed so teams stop loading the box on one of the top rushing teams last season.

Catching A Bad Rap?
The receiving corps bore the brunt of the most criticism last year. Outside of Derrick Mason, who was literally playing with one healthy arm, no Raven's wide out stepped up as any type of threat. Demetrius Williams has been injured for the majority of his young career, and Mark Clayton has been inconsistent at best. Free agent pickup Kelley Washington was brought in to push both guys, and will likely make an impact if both young pass catchers don't step up to the plate early this year.

Secondary First
The Ravens brought Baltimore native Dominque Foxworth in to play cornerback opposite Fabian Washington. Neither is the physical, in-your-face corner that Baltimore is used to having, and it is yet to be seen if they will thrive in a pressure-centric defense that will require both of them to be one on one a majority of the time. While Ed Reed will be there to play center field, look for opposing teams to try more and more to test both men early and often. Two other additions, veteran Chris Carr and third round pick Ladarius Webb, will round out a secondary that will have a lot to prove. The Ravens are very high on Webb's potential, but his play recognition skills are very raw at this point in time.

Three Headed Monster, or One Man Show?
Last season's success was predicated on a rushing attack that featured all three running backs: Willis McGahee, Ray Rice, and LeRon McClain. McClain will be moving to fullback on a full time basis, and the starter position at tailback is up for grabs during the preseason. Ray Rice has shown much more than anyone expected when they drafted him last year, but McGahee's track record and incumbency may be too much to overtake for the young standout from Rutgers. Rice's style doesn't seem to be a fit to feature in a power running game, but he has surprised most Raven's officials so far, so nothing is out of reach it seems.

As the preseason begins, we will have updates on any position battles that come to the surface, as well as injuries or behind the scenes information we can find.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 12-12-2009, 05:31 AM   #3
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

RAVENS CRUISE TO 27-7 PRESEASON WIN AGAINST SKINS; RICE MAKES CASE

STORYLINES:

Rice grasps at starter's position, McGahee falters
Ray Rice had 102 yards and a touchdown on 13 carries as Willis McGahee only mustered 6 yards on 11 attempts. This was an eye opener for Coach John Harbaugh as McGahee looked very "old" against a rebuilt Redskins defense, while Rice looked energetic and hungry.

We have an LJ Smith sighting
Playing a majority of the game for the often injured Todd Heap, LJ Smith caught 5 passes for 59 yards, including a circus catch over Washington safety Laron Landry. If Smith can stay healthy it will definitely add to the passing attack for Baltimore.

Webb has strong showing, picks off Collins in end zone
Rookie DB Lardarius Webb, playing on the second team, had an impressive first game. He amassed 4 tackles, one of them dropping HB Rock Cartwright for a 4 yard loss, and intercept Washington back up QB Todd Collins in the end zone after the Skins had a 13 play drive. With Chris Carr showing some serious vulnerability in the nickel spot, Webb is making his case for moving into the permanent secondary rotation.

Inury Report: No major injuries for the Ravens, although back-up QB Troy Smith did get the wind knocked out of him in the 4th on a strong hit by DE Lorenzo Alexander.

The Ravens will next host their former defensive coordinator Rex Ryan and his Jets in the second preseason game of the year.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 12-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

JETS AND RAVENS PLAY TO DREADED PRESEASON TIE, MCGAHEE RETURNS TO FORM

STORYLINES:

Foxworth struggles to stop top threats
In two straight games, top receiving threats for the opposing teams have burnt Dominique Foxworth while they were on the field. Skins WR Santana Moss had and 4 catch for 37 yards on 5 targets in one quarter, and Jets WR Jericho Cotchery also caught 4 balls for 43 yards and a wide open touchdown. Foxworth was caught on a double move where Cotchery faked to the outside and cut hard back to the inside, allowing QB Mark Sanchez an easy toss for the early score. More is needed from Foxworth in the #1 CB spot.

McGahee responds
In true Willis McGahee form, the former "U" back responded to the challenge of Ray Rice with 11 carries and 55 yards and a bruising score where he ran over former Raven's LB Bart Scott. Rice didn't have a bad game himself, but McGahee clearly stood out in the final preseason home game for Baltimore.

Haloti Ngata, DB?
Ngata has become a master of dropping back into pass coverage, or at least he thinks so. "We zone blitz a lot, and Matty (defensive coordinator Greg Mattison) always tells me to stay light on my feet for drag routes. Any time I can get my hands on the ball, he doesn't want a deflection. This defense is predicated on turnovers, not deflections." Ngata intercepted Jets QB Kellen Clemens in the second quarter.

Where is Mark Clayton?

In two games, Mark Clayton has caught zero passes. He has limited attempts due to his lack of separation from opposing corners. Defenses have learned to press him at the line, and it's causing issues for the third year wide out from Oklahoma. With Derrick Mason taking on the opponent's top defensive back each week, Clayton needs to step up to keep defenses honest.

Injury Report: RG Chris Chester (knee), DE Trevor Pryce (shoulder), CB Chris Carr (ankle). All three will be probable for next weeks game.

The Ravens move on to play Carolina on the road.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!

Last edited by Millennium; 12-12-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:02 AM   #5
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

NFL BREAKING NEWS

Foxborough, MA - Tom Brady looks like he will miss the rest of the seaosn with a complete tear of his achilles tendon. The injury occurred in the second quarter of the Patriots second preseason games, against the Bengals. This will be the second time in his career Brady has had a season end early due to his achilles. The first was last season, where relative unknown Matt Cassell took over the reins and almost led New England into the playoffs. Cassell is now the starting QB for the Kansas City Chiefs.

No word out of New England on their plans for their quarterback position as of yet. The only other quarterback they currently have on their roster is rookie Brian Hoyer out of Michigan State.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2009, 06:22 AM   #6
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

RAVENS FALTER AGAINST CAROLINA, BOTH TEAMS RUSH FOR ALMOST 200 YARDS

STORYLINES:

Whatchyou talkin' bout Willis
9 carries, 113 yards, and a score. Willis McGahee surges in front of Ray Rice (9/57) on the depth chart. It's a good problem to have, as both backs really seem to be pushing each other. At the same time, LeRon McClain seems to be thriving as a fullback, averaging 4.7 yards per carry and becoming the key cog as a lead blocker for the terrible twosome at tailback. McClain's time learning from veteran Lorenzo Neal last year seems to have paid off.

No turnovers, no problem?
There were no turnovers in the game, which is strange for the Ravens. But it does beg the question - is the Ravens defense good enough to win games this year if they don't cause turnovers. Granted, that may not happen often, but against good teams like the Colts there may not be the opportunity for turnovers. That means the Ravens may need to bend a little bit more than they are used to in the future.

Chester is offensive
RG Chris Chester has allowed 4 sacks this preseason, and the second of two against the Panthers resulted in Joe Flacco needing to be helped off the field. Opposing tackles are blowing him off the ball during pass rushes, and it has affected the teams passing game. With RT Michael Oher thriving, and veteran C Matt Birk leading the line, Chester needs get better. Especially with physical guard Marshal Yanda waiting in the wings. The Ravens like Chester's ability to pull on sweeps, and his footwork in general. But his hands must get better, and stronger, to keep his spot.

Injury Report: QB Joe Flacco (back), WR Derrick Mason (knee). Flacco will more than likely sit out the team's final preseason game, while Mason has stated that he will play.

The Ravens will face the Atlanta Falcons in their final game of the 2009 preseason.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 12-12-2009, 06:41 AM   #7
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

FLACCO-LESS RAVENS FALL TO FALCONS, RAY RICE ROLLS

STORYLINES:

Yanda to start season at right guard
Coach Harbaugh announced after the game that Chris Chester would start the year backing up Marshal Yanda at right guard. The decision came after Chester allowed a sack on the third play of the game in which he completely whiffed on Atlanta DT Jonathan Babineaux. Babineaux ran free on a play action by Troy Smith, and ended up flattening Smith before he could even turn around. Chester could have landed himself in Harbaugh's famous dog house for his lackluster play this preseason, and it will take a lot of work in practice to get out.

Rice's turn for big game, McGahee just 'okay'
Ray Rice went for 121 yards on 12 carries, with an impressive 35 yard touchdown run where he made a total of six Atlanta defenders miss tackles. He also caught a screen pass that would have been a touchdown had WR Mark Clayton not clipped FS Antoine Harris on the play. McGahee went for 29 yards on 8 carries.

Mark Clayton catch first pass, gives it right back
Mark Clayton finally caught his first ball of the preseason. The catch would have been a 35 yard strike had he not been stripped on his way to the turf by OLB Mike Peterson. Clayton's woes have been noted all preseason, and this certainly will not help him. He is fortunate, however, that Kelley Washington and Demetrius Williams have also not had impressive preseasons. Washington has had a case of the drops, and Williams seems to have lost a step due to his injuries of previous years.

Inury Report: QB Joe Flacco (back); RT Tony Moll (arm). Flacco did not play and will be ready for week 1. Moll suffered an upper arm fracture, and is expected to be out 3-5 weeks. RT Adam Terry will move in to back up Michael Oher.

The Ravens finish the preseason at 1-2-1. They begin their season by hosting Matt Cassell and the Kansas City Chiefs.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 12-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 9

Brady no!!! Not again...

Nice reports. They're fun to read. Keep it up, I'll be following!

R.I.P Paintball BAP and the Mess.
^^^ Check it out for a good read!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »