Home

Little Big Man

This is a discussion on Little Big Man within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2010, 02:18 AM   #17
Rookie

JC QUICK's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Little Big Man

My Fear
" And the pass is caught by James Carnes, who races down the sidelines, he has one man to beat....and OH!!! he's leveled and he is not getting up folks!"

I jumped up from my pillow in a cold sweat, as the moon was glaring through my window. I was trying to get some sleep the night before our JV game vs Pine Creek, and I couldn't. I was starting at wide receiver and corner, which I was excited about, but I have always had some sort of fear of getting injured during a football game, and I tell you where it came from.

It was back in seventh grade, when I lived in Seguin, Texas. I was playing on our middle school football team named the Jim Barnes Toreadors. We were playing a team from San Antonio, and I was playing safety. Next thing I knew, their running back was coming my way, but our linebacker got to him before I did. It was a big hit, and the player wasn't getting up.

He started screaming in agony, right next to me, and it almost put me in a shock. He was reaching towards his knee. He was crying and could not sit still. The coaches ran over and asked "can you bend your knee", and he kept yelling, "No." I couldn't stop looking at the pain on his face. I was shocked with the discomfort of his injury. Every since then, I have always been afraid of getting injured right before I get tackled. It's a fear, that never leaves me.

I always tell myself, that if I was meant to get hurt it will happen. I've never been injured in a game before, and I hope I never will. But I still have nightmares about if I ever do. I've never broken a bone or fractured anything, even considering how small I am out on the football field. I guess you can call me lucky.

I woke up the next morning at about 7:00. I knew I had to get focused. We played Pine Creek on the freshman team and we lost 66-0, so I knew we were going to be playing a lot of the players from that team. And the result was no different. We lost 44-6. I didn't make any catches, and hell I didn't even get the ball thrown to me. I made a couple of tackles, and two kick returns but that was it.

That's pretty much how my junior year in football went. I sat on the sidelines in varsity games, as I watched most of our games be blowouts. The varsity finished 1-9, the worst in Air Academy history that I can remember. And the JV team went win less, except we went 0-7. Three games were canceled because some JV players were suspended because of bad grades, including myself.

I was so dissapointed with going my whole junior year without playing varsity. I mean most major college prospects are three or four year starters at their high schools. I was gonna be a one-year letter winner at most. I knew that if I didn't play any varsity my senior year, that my dream was going to be shattered, and I would have to go job hunting. Sports is my only way into college, so it's time to do the impossible.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #18
MVP

hockeyplaya2724's Arena

OVR: 29

Dude I feel the same way towards football, I was about to tackle a kid because I'm 5'2" and for some odd reason they put me at line backer, well anyways I was about to tackle him and then my teammate tackled him into the side lines onto a water bottle holder and the kid had to get stitches right in front of our bench. And plus I fractured my ribs when the biggest RB's helmet went right into my ribs.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #19
Rookie

JC QUICK's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplaya2724
Dude I feel the same way towards football, I was about to tackle a kid because I'm 5'2" and for some odd reason they put me at line backer, well anyways I was about to tackle him and then my teammate tackled him into the side lines onto a water bottle holder and the kid had to get stitches right in front of our bench. And plus I fractured my ribs when the biggest RB's helmet went right into my ribs.
Haha wow, I give you props for playing at 5'2, thats awesome dude. Thanks for commenting too, I have more updates coming today
Old 07-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
Rookie

JC QUICK's Arena

If Friday is for fighting, then Saturday is for Track and Field
I signed up for track and field during the spring of my junior year. I had never really done track and field before. I did it for about a week sophomore year, but my grades were not good enough, so my dad ended up not letting me compete. But we got a new coach for the track team, and I liked him a lot better.

I started to notice the lack of athleticism at my high school. The track team was predominately white, and most of the sprinters were not very fast. Once I set foot on the track for the first time, I blew by all my teammates. I was surprised with how much faster I was compared to some of these kids. I was so excited because I was put on the varsity team, and our first meet, was in Aurora, Colorado. It was about an hour and a half drive down to the largest high school stadium in Colorado. I was in shock with how big it was, but once I got there, my coach told me I was late and that I missed my 200 meter dash. That was definitely disappointing, but I still had the 4x200 meter relay.

When it was time for the relay, butterflies started churning in my stomach. I was the third runner in the relay, and when I heard the gun go off, I got in my stance. Finally I saw my teammate round the corner, and then he handed me the baton. I started sprinting as fast as I could but I then realized we were in second to last. I tried to catch the guy in front of me, but he was too fast. About the last 100 meters my legs started to feel exhausted, and then I finally got to our anchor, who took the baton from me. We finished in second to last. I started to realize that our school just doesn't measure up with other schools from Denver. The athleticism is at a different level.

Here's the stats to my Junior year Track season:

Personal Bests

100 Meter Dash - 13.04
200 Meter Dash - 26.65
Long Jump - 16-0
Triple Jump - 35-9

I always thought that if football never worked out, that maybe track and field could get me into college, but as the season went on, I started to realize how good you have to be to go to college for track. All my times in 100 and 200 are below average, and Long and Triple Jump are below average as well. As you can see I have a lot going against me. I'm 5-7 140 lbs, not exactly football size. I run a 4.7 40 meter dash, not exactly top elite speed, my bench press max is around 130 and my GPA is a 1.6. I need a lot of help going into my senior season.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #21
Rookie

JC QUICK's Arena

2010 Football Camp Begins
After lettering in track, which was a huge accomplishment for me, I had about three more weeks of school. The final week of classes went as expected, as the always do. It's always a very stressful time for me. Because their is always one class where I'm on the borderline of failing, and I usually have to study my *** off for the final exam, but when I was walking around the school, I saw a note on the wall.

2010 SUMMER FOOTBALL CAMP- JUNE 1-12, 2010! All players interested in playing football for AAHS in the Fall of 2010 are invited to attend the summer camp (this includes incoming Freshman). The camp will be ten days and the cost will be $150.00 per player. We will end the camp with a scrimmage against Palmer High School at Gerry Berry Stadium on June 11th time TBA.

I was instantly excited when I saw we were going to playing Palmer High School on June 11th. The whole day that's all I could think about. I couldn't concentrate in Geometry or Forensic Science or any of my classes.

The next day, I went in and talked to the head football coach. It took me a little while to gather up the courage to walk in his room and start talking to him, since he's one of the most intimidating people I have ever met. With my heart pounding I walked in his room.

"HEY JAMES, how are ya!" I was a little shocked with how happy he was to see me, and how much of a different guy he is in the school, then on the practice field.

"Im good, um here's my physical papers for the camp."

"Ok thanks, your all set. Don't worry about the money situation, I know these times are tight, so we'll figure something out."

"Ok thanks coach, thats good cuz my parents can't pay for it right now."

"It's alright. I wanted to talk to you about this season. I think you can play for us this season. You just need to focus. Get the grades up, and get in the weight room."

I got really excited when he said, "
you can play for us this season". I coudn't believe it.

It made my whole day
. I couldn't stop thinking about what he said the whole day. After school, I picked up my equipment. I was getting the chills when I looked at my helmet and my shoulder pads. The first day of camp started in two days and I was ready to take that starting job, that I've dreamed about for four years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #22
Rookie

JC QUICK's Arena

Senior Year
I was finally a senior. I didn't think this time would ever come. I woke up the morning of the first day of camp, ready to go. It was the second to last day of school, and I couldn't concentrate. It wasn't a good day. First I had to take my geometry final, and I knew that I completely bombed it, and I needed at least a 74% to pass the class. If I didn't pass the class, I would have to repeat my junior year, so I took the test, and at the end I knew I failed it. I felt like I didn't learn anything from Geometry.

Then I had to take my P.E. final. And the final was to run a mile in under 7 minutes and 30 seconds. The good part was that I ran the mile in 6 minutes and 30 seconds. I ran the fastest time in the class, but when I stopped, all of the sudden I started feeling sick. I crawled to the grass and started to throw up. But since I ate a small lunch, I just started dry heaving. I didn't feel good, and I had football practice in about a half hour.

When P.E. finally ended, I headed to the locker room, where I had to quickly throw on my football gear. It was complete chaos in the locker room. Their were people yelling that they needed chin straps or butt pads or thigh pads or something and it pissed Coach Hillstrum off. The day got worse from there, because when I headed out to the field, my legs were completely dead from running the mile. I felt really slow when I had to run routes, or play cornerback.

I had never been so tired in my life when I got home from practice. But the next day was the last day of school, and after getting about ten hours of sleep, I headed to school for the last time in my junior year. It was exciting to know that it was our senior year next year, but for me, it might not be. I was worried that I was going to repeat my junior year. But everything was changed when my dad picked me up from practice. I had a good practice. My legs weren't as tired, and my energy level was at an all time high. But I got in the car and my dad told me there was good news.

"Mr. Calvani your geometry teacher, changed your first and second semester grades to a D, so now your on pace to graduate and your gonna be a senior next year!" My dad seemed more excited then me. I was so happy. I might be able to graduate after all.

After school ended, I was able to just focus on football, and for the first time in my life, I was taking reps with the first team. Not only at wide receiver, but at corner back too. I couldn't believe it. I was starting on varsity. All my hard work had payed off. I was set to start in the scrimmage against Palmer.

I told all my friends to go to the game. My parents showed up for the game. Their was a tailgate, and a good number of people showed up for the game. It was a little weird to play a football game in June. And it definitely felt like a summer day in June, when the clouds rolled in and it started to hail and pour rain. I thought to myself that they were going to cancel to game. I was so ready to play, I wanted to play.

We just sat in the locker rooms until I looked out the window, and the clouds rolled away, and the sun came out.

"Get your helmets on!" The coach yelled. Finally we were going to play. I ran out in the front row of the team, and I could hear the crowd cheering. Now their weren't a lot of people their but there was a good number that showed up.

When the sun came out it started to get really hot during our warm ups, but I was ready.

They called out the first team offense, but I couldn't go in because they were running the offense out of two tight ends so they didn't need a wide receiver. But after 12 offensive plays it was the defenses turn. I trotted out there. My heart was pounded as Palmer came up to the line of scrimmage. They ran mostly with two wide receivers on both sides. They didn't pass the ball to my side at all. They didn't even run the ball to my side.

After 12 plays I had to go back on the sideline and rotate with my good friend Sean Jones. He had a couple tackles on the second stint of first team defense. Then after the second team offense finished their twelve plays, they called first team defense again for one more time. I went out there again, and for most of the plays they ran and passed the ball to the other corner. I wasn't getting any action, but on the 12th play of the scrimmage, things changed.

I lined up on their receiver. They had two receivers on my side. One looked about 5'9, the other was about 6'4. The 5'9 receiver ran a seam right down the field. I went with him, then I heard the coaches yell, "BALL!", but when I turned my head, the ball went right behind me and into the hands of the receiver.
The coaches weren't too mad because it was good coverage, but my confidence was shattered. And to make it worse, my parents, my friends and family all saw it. It was devastating. But I just knew I needed work on my footwork, and I just could do nothing but pray that I could stay on varsity come September.

Last edited by JC QUICK; 07-03-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #23
Banned

MarylandMan's Arena

OVR: 16

NCAA Football 11 Teambuilder?
Old 07-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #24
Rookie

JC QUICK's Arena

Blue Silver Game 2010 - August 21, 2010
Every year, we have the annual Blue Silver Game scrimmage. It's a fun way to raise money for the football team. It's usually 2 weeks after school starts. I was so excited to start the game at cornerback and wide receiver. My parents were attending the game, and we had perfect weather conditions. It was a little hot, but not too bad. I had butterflies when I sat it the locker room. It was exciting.
We played a lot of man to man and cover 2. I didn't make a single tackle, and it was kind of disappointing because I wanted to impress our defensive backs coach. But they rarely threw the ball my way and they didn't run the ball my side a lot. I will admit, I wasn't totally focused at the beginning of the game because I kind of was caught in all the hoop-la of the game. Here's the second half of the game. I played wide receiver at the end, and things were a lot better.

I caught two passes for like 50 yards or something like that. I was so happy after I caught the first one, because It was pretty long, but then I caught another one. I got lucky on that one because it wasn't intended for me and the quarterback was throwing for our running back, but getting two catches in the game is pretty good considering we run the ball about 90% of the time. But this game has kicked off my senior year in football, I can't wait until we play Cheyenne Mountain for the first game.

James Carnes statline: 2 rec 41 yards.

Last edited by JC QUICK; 07-03-2021 at 01:49 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »