Home

Road to Redemption: The Cleveland Browns (NFL 2K5)

This is a discussion on Road to Redemption: The Cleveland Browns (NFL 2K5) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 2
Road to Redemption: The Cleveland Browns (NFL 2K5)

Road to Redemption: The Cleveland Browns

Game: ESPN NFL 2k5
System: PS2
Rosters: FunNGuns 2009-2010 roster
Difficulty: All-Pro (with some adjustments of my own)
Quarter Length: 8 minutes
Sim length: 5 minutes
Injures: On
Trade Deadline: On
Salary Cap: On
User Controlled Teams: Browns

Franchise Rules: I must sign players to realistic contracts (ie; if I pick a quarterback #1 overall, I have to pay him like a #1 pick, and so on). I can’t sign more than one free agent that has an overall of 90 or more, and I can’t sign more than 2 free agents with an overall of 80 or more. I can’t trade for a teams starting QB, and I cant trade for kickers/punters. All trades must be equal to both teams (ie; I cant trade Jamal Lewis and a 6th round pick for Dwight Freeney).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Road to Redemption: The Cleveland Browns (NFL 2K5)

The History of the Cleveland Browns

The Highest of Highs, and Lowest of Lows

The Cleveland Browns have been the doormat of the NFL since their return to the league in 1999. Only two winning seasons in ten years with only one playoff appearance. It wasn’t always this way on the shores of Lake Eerie, though. From 1946 to 1965 the Browns were one of the most dominant teams in the league. With great players such as Jim Brown, Marion Motley, Otto Graham, Paul Warfield and many more, the Browns won four AAFC championships between 1946 and 1949 before coming over to the NFL. Many thought the Browns would be decimated by the NFL’s more talented competition, yet the Browns defied critics and won 4 more championships in 1950, 1954, 1955, and 1964. Sadly, 1964 would be the last time the city of Cleveland would taste a major sports championship for in 1965 Jim Brown would retire after only 9 seasons in the league. Many speculated that strained relationships between him and the organization were the cause of this; while others thought he wanted to pursue a career in Hollywood. In 1961, a man by the name of Art Modell bought the Browns franchise and made a complete re-haul of the team. He fired long time coach (and the only coach in the history of the franchise), Paul Brown in 1962 and named Blanton Collier the new head coach of the Cleveland Browns. Collier would lead the team to two more title game appearances after the abrupt retirement of Jim Brown, but lost both games, Collier would then retire after the 1970 season, citing increasing deafness as the reason for his retirement. During the 1970’s the Browns would come to be known as “The Kardiac Kids” because of their tendency to lead 4th quarter comeback against their opponents to win the game. Led by quarterback Brian Sipe and running back duo Mike and Greg Pruitt (no relation) and coached by Sam Rutigliano the Browns made the playoffs many times during the 1970’s, but one of the most notable playoff appearances of that era would be during 1980, where the Browns finished the season with an 11-5 record after going 3-3 in the first six games and made it to the divisional round of the playoffs where they met the Oakland Raiders. The Browns “miracle” season came to an abrupt end on a play that would become known as “Red Right 88”. After the 1980 season, the Browns would not be able to re-create the success they had, going 5-11 in 1981 and then going 4-5 and losing to the Raiders in the first round of the playoffs in the strike-shortened 1982 season. After the 1983 season where Brian Sipe threw for over 3,500 yards and Mike Pruitt ran for 10 touchdowns and over 1,100 yards the Browns missed the playoffs with a 9-7 record. The 1984 season became a rebuilding year after Brian Sipe defected for the now defunct USFL and Mike Pruitt would spend most of the season injured before being traded to the Buffalo Bills. After starting the season 1-7, Same Rutigliano was fired and Marty Schottenheimer was hired as the head coach and led the Browns to a 5-11 record.

Bernie Kosar and Return to Prominence

After the 1984 season, the Browns acquired Bernie Kosar via the NFL Supplemental draft. Being a native of Ohio and growing up a fan of the Browns, Kosar was excited to play for his hometown Browns. Kosar would have to learn by trial by fire, though, after taking over for then-starter Gary Danielson mid-way through the 1985 season. Kosars’ play was adequate, yet he was assisted by two 1,000 yard rushers in Kevin Mack and Earnest Byner. The Browns finished the 1985 season 8-8 which landed them the top seed in a very weak AFC Central division. However, the Miami Dolphins would defeat the Browns in the 1986 divisional round of the playoffs. Browns fans were initially disappointed, however over the next 5 season the Browns would make the playoffs and reach the AFC Championship in three of those seasons.

The Drive, The Fumble, and John Elway

The Browns finished the 1986 season with a 12-4 record and a first round bye in the playoffs. The Browns were elevated into the NFL’s elite ranks by great play from players such as Bernie Kosar, Earnest Byner, Ozzie Newsome, and Kevin Mack on offense and other plays such as Clay Matthews, Hanford Dixon, and Frank Minnifield on defense. During the 1986 playoffs, the Browns played a hard fought game at home against the New York Jets, eventually winning the game 23-20 after multiple overtime periods. The Browns would then advance to the first of three appearances in the AFC Championship game. The AFC Championship began with the Denver Broncos arriving to the cold, windy, and hostile Cleveland Municipal Stadium greeted to a host of boo’s with various object being thrown at Broncos player throughout the game. Like the week before, the game would be a heart-stopping overtime thriller. With the Browns ahead 20-13 with 5:11 remaining in the game, the Browns pinned the Denver Broncos at their own 2-yard line. Cleveland thought they were on their way to their first Super Bowl in the franchises history, and the first Championship game since 1968, however one man stood in their way and that man was none other than John Elway. The Broncos began the drive at their own 2-yard line and marched down the field on a Browns defense that had been one of the best during the regular season. With 39 seconds remaining in the game John Elway threw a touchdown pass to Mark Jackson to tie the game. In the ensuing overtime period the Broncos would kick a field goal to win the game 23-20. Little did Browns fans know that this would be the first of many times that John Elway would trample the hopes of the Browns making it to the Super Bowl. During the 1987 season, the Browns retained their explosive offense and stifling defense throughout the regular season and would finish the season with a 10-5 record. The Browns would defeat the Indianapolis Colts in the divisional round of the playoffs to make it to their second consecutive AFC Championship appearance. The Browns again faced off against John Elway and the Denver Broncos, this time in Denver. The Browns started off the game horribly, being down 21-3 at halftime. After halftime the Browns took the field and Bernie Kosar would lead a comeback to tie the game at 31-31. The Broncos would then regain the lead after a 20-yard touchdown my Sammy Winder with less than 5:00 remaining in the game. However, Bernie Kosar would lead the Browns down the field to the Broncos 8-yard line with 1:12 left in the game. Kosar would then hand the ball off to Earnest Byner who appeared to have a wide open lane to the endzone, when Broncos defensive back Jeremiah Castillle pried the ball from Byner for a fumble, and the Broncos would recover. After taking an intentional safety the Broncos would again defeat the Browns, 38-33.

Bill Belichick and Relocation

After another loss to the Broncos in the 1989 AFC Championship (this time the deficit was much larger, with the Browns losing 37-21) Art Modell felt it was time for a change. He went out and hired Bill Belichick to be his new head coach after the 1990 season (where Kosar would have his worst season to date, throwing 15 interceptions to only 10 touchdowns). Belichick would look to put his own stamp on the roster and the franchise by cutting the Browns franchise quarterback and fan favorite, Bernie Kosar, who would sign with the Dallas Cowboys after Kosar allegedly defied the coaches play calls and instead called his own plays. Replacing Kosar was veteran Vinny Testaverde who was signed from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers earlier in the off season. After two consecutive 7-9 seasons in 1992 and 1993 the Browns would finish the 1994 season with an 11-5 record. However, heated rival Pittsburgh blew out the Browns in the divisional playoffs, 29-9. During the 1995 season Art Modell released a statement that he had signed a deal to move the Browns franchise to Baltimore following the 1995 season. This caused an outlash by the fans not seen since the Colts relocation from Baltimore to Indianapolis in 1984. After news of the impending relocation was reported, all sponsors took their ads from Cleveland Municipal stadium, leaving it devoid of any advertisements. After news of the relocation broke, the Browns only won 2 of their last 9 games to finish the season 5-11. It was decided that all of the Browns franchise records and championships would remain in Cleveland until the city was rewarded another football franchise. This did little to help ease the tension between the owner and the fans, for at the last home game fans tore out seats from the stadium and threw them onto the field and set fires in the stands. They would also assault police officers and security officials who would try to stop them.

The Browns franchise was officially re-located to Baltimore following the conclusion of the 1995 NFL Season.

The Return of the Browns Franchise

It was 1999, and football was finally back on the shores of Lake Eerie. The city of Cleveland had been granted an expansion team and they were ready to begin the first season of NFL football in Cleveland for over 3 years. The Browns held the first pick of the 1999 draft and used it to select a future franchise quarterback out of Kentucky named Tim Couch. However, Tim Couch would never turn out to be the franchise quarterback the Browns thought he would be when they drafted him. Some blame it on the fact that the team surrounding Couch was less than stellar, and that he was sack over 55 times his rookie season. Other claim it was because he was never cut out to be an NFL quarterback. Whatever the case may be, the Browns would go on to have 8 losing seasons in 10 years since returning to the league in 1999.

Browns Statistics Since Returning in 1999:

Records:
1999: 2-14
2000: 3-13
2001: 7-9
2002: 9-7
2003: 5-11
2004: 4-12
2005: 6-10
2006: 4-12
2007: 10-6
2008: 4-12
2009: 5-11

Coaches:
1999-2002: Chris Palmer
2002-2004: Butch Davis
2005-2008: Romeo Crennel
2009-Present: Eric Mangini

Draft Choices:
1999-#1-Tim Couch, QB
2000-#1-Courtney Brown, DE
2001-#3-Gerrard Warren, DT
2002-#16-William Green, RB
2003-#21-Jeff Faine, C
2004-#6-Kellen Winslow II, TE
2005-#3-Braylon Edwards, WR
2006-#13-Kamerion Wimbley, OLB/DE
2007-#3-Joe Thomas, T
2007-#22-Brady Quinn, QB
2008-None
2009-#21-Alex Mack, C
2010-???-???

Old 09-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Banned

2009 NFL Season Recap:

Super Bowl 44 Recap:
Spoiler

2009 League Leaders:
Spoiler

Season Award Winners:
Spoiler
Old 09-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Banned

While the Patriots are still celebrating their victory, theres turmoil bubbling up in other organizations:

Hours after that breaking news was released, The Browns held a press conference:

We'll be sure to keep you guys posted as the offseason gets underway...
Old 09-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Banned

You guys can now post
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
Banned

Quick offseason update:

I'll have more tomorrow (draft recap, explanations of moves, etc)
Old 09-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
Banned

Free Agency Recap

Watch out. That's all I can say about the 2010 Cleveland Browns. Our offense was completely overhauled this offseason. From the quarterback to the offensive line, we are totally different this year.

We can't talk about our offense without mentioning perhaps the biggest move in the offseason: we signed Marshawn Lynch. Many NFL experts called this a foolish move, especially with all of the talented running backs in the draft. Why is this a foolish move? Because Lynch spent most of the year on IR last year. He tore both his ACL and MCL last year during week 1. He finished the year with 12 carries for 57 yards.

The Bills released the former pro-bowler at the conclusion of the season to avoid paying him the rest of his contract. After recovering from complete ACL and MCL tears, Lynch still demanded pro-bowl type money, and the only team to give him that type of money was the Cleveland Browns.

I feel that this is a classic "high-risk, high-reward" type situation. On one hand, Lynch could return to his pro-bowl form, but on the other hand he could get injured and never be the same again. This could make or break Tom Hers' regime as team president of the Browns.

After signing Lynch, I went to work on the rest of my team.

First thing I did after I signed Lynch was shore up the right side of my offensive line. My left side is one of the best in league, with LT Joe Thomas, LG Eric Steinbach, and C Alex Mack, but the right side was a real liability last year. I let Rex Hadnot (RG) go to free agency this year after giving up 12 sacks last year (yikes!) and then I had John St. Claire as my RT. I knew that I had to get some better linemen to help (and protect) Lynch this year, so I went out and got:

RG Louis Vasquez (78 ovr) and
RT Jeremy Trueblood (78 ovr)

They may not be the best guys around, but they're young (2 years pro, and 5 years pro, respectively) and theyre still better than the guys I had before.

After that, I went and added more firepower to my offense with the following signing(s):

WR Devin Thomas and
TE Davon Drew

I picked up Devin Thomas to add to an already deep (imo) receiver core and I picked up Davon Drew because hes a great blocking tight end and he should also help out in the running game.

Thomas and Drew will be fighting for the slot receiver job and the starting TE spot during the preseason.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
Banned

Draft Recap

Round 1, Pick 23 (from Seattle):
Benjamin Wallace (74 ovr)
Quarterback, Central Michigan
6'3", 232 pounds

Round 2, Pick 7 (from St. Louis):
Max Gardner (65 ovr)
Outside Linebacker, Iowa State
6'1", 233 pounds

Round 2, Pick 12:
Alberto Wright (73 ovr)
Strong Safety, Minnesota
6'1", 218 pounds

Round 3, Pick 9 (from San Fransisco):
Elmer Byrd (58 ovr)
Defensive End, Illinois
6'2", 267 pounds

Round 3, Pick 12:
Darnell Taylor (59 ovr)
Inside Linebacker, Texas A&M
6'3", 244 pounds

Round 4, Pick 12:
Clark Moss (66 ovr)
Cornerback, Pittsburgh
6'2", 177 pounds

Round 7, Pick 12:
Clay Harrington (52 ovr)
Defensive Tackle, San Jose State
6'4", 307 pounds

One word to describe this draft: Misleading.

If you just look at the OVR's of the players I drafted, you're only seeing half the picture. The players I drafted fit my style of play almost perfectly and thats what I was looking for in this draft. I wanted to get young guys who fit my style of play who can ride the bench for a year or two behind some older, more experienced vets while they learn the game.

With my first round choice, I selected quarterback Ben Wallace out of Central Michigan. He was supposed to go to the Seahawks at 23 originally (to replace an aging Matt Hasselbeck, I'm assuming) but I needed to get him. The quarterback I had my eye on throughout the combine was taken #1 overall, and there was nobody else I wanted on the board at that point, so I traded with Seattle so they could move up and pick a 'better' quarterback earlier in the round. I have to say I got the better end of the bargain:

Gerard Perkins (12th overall, Seattle Seahawks):
Pass Strength: 93
Pass Accuracy: 75
Read Coverage: 62
Leadership: 49
Speed: 81
Consistency: 36

Benjamin Wallace (23rd overall, Cleveland Browns):
Pass Strength: 94
Pass Accuracy: 79
Read Coverage: 82
Leadership: 62
Speed: 45
Consistency: 38

As you can see, Ben Wallace has better intangibles, while Gerard Perkins has better athleticism. Many are comparing Perkins to a young Donovan McNabb with a stronger arm and less accuracy while they're comparing Wallace to Aaron Rodgers because he has a cannon for an arm and decent accuracy as a rookie, and because he fell so low in the 1st round of the draft.

Some key ratings to the other players I drafted:

Max Gardner (OLB):
Pass Rush: 91
Tackle: 71
Speed: 81
Coverage: 47

Gardner is a great pass rushing OLB, which I love. I run the 3-4 so I love to have LB's who can rush the passer on every down. He's also got nice speed for a linebacker, and thats always a plus. However, he's a MAJOR liability in coverage and he isn't a spectacular tackler, but both of those should improve with time.

Alberto Wright (SS):
Speed: 88
Run Coverage: 61
Coverage: 80
Tackle: 56

I love this pick. I like to have safetys who can cover because I tend to blitz a LOT so I need guys who can cover if my secondary gets left on an island. Heres another guy, like Gardner, whos fast enough to play sideline to sideline. He's not good against the run, and isn't a good tackler, which is not good at all when you play strong safety, but we'll see what happens.

Other key ratings:
Clay Harrington (DT):
Pass Rush: 87

Elmer Byrd (DE):
Pass Rush: 83

I wanted to bolster my pass rush after we finished dead last in the league last year in defensive sacks. I'd say I did a pretty good job of that with an OLB who can rush the passer like hes the next Lawrence Taylor and 2 defensive linemen who are good pass rushers as well.

Preseason depth chart/updates are next.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »