Home

Pony Exce$$

This is a discussion on Pony Exce$$ within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 4
Pony Exce$$

Pony Exce$$

From 1981-to-1984, a small private school in Dallas owned the best record in college football. The Mustangs of Southern Methodist University (SMU) posted a record of 41-5-1 and won at least a share of three Southwest Conference titles.

Under head coach Ron Meyer SMU went 10-1 in 1981 largely thanks to the best half back combination in college football. The only thing that prevented SMU from playing for the National Championship in a bowl game was NCAA probation. The Mustangs would have to settle for a SWC championship.

Bobby Collins replaced Ron Meyer in 1982, but the team did not lose a beat, finishing undefeated and with a huge victory over Pittsburgh in the Cotton Bowl. SMU finished 1982 ranked 2nd in the AP Poll and may have won the National Championship if not for a tie with Arkansas.

A midseason loss to Texas 15 to 12 cost SMU another SWC championship in 1983, but the Mustangs finished the season with only two losses after a Sun Bowl defeat at the hands of Alabama. Although the 1984 team lost two conference games, they still tied for the SWC championship and went on to beat Notre Dame in the Aloha Bowl 27 to 20.

But as the middle of the decade approached, the program was coming apart at the seams. Wins became the only thing that mattered as the University increasingly ceded power of the football program to the city's oil barons and real estate tycoons and flagrant and frequent NCAA violations became the norm. On February 25, 1987, the school and the sport were rocked, as the NCAA meted out "the death penalty" on a college football program for the first and only time in its history.

SMU would be without football for two years, and the fan base would be without an identity for 20 more until the Mustangs' win in the 2009 Hawaii Bowl.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
MVP

hoopla32's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Pony Exce$$

I think that's word for word ESPN promo for their "Pony Excess" 30 for 30.

SMU can be fun dynasty, though. I played one with them for awhile and really enjoyed it.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopla32
I think that's word for word ESPN promo for their "Pony Excess" 30 for 30.

SMU can be fun dynasty, though. I played one with them for awhile and really enjoyed it.
It's the combination of about 3 different articles, I should have put in a disclaimer, not trying to pass it off as my own.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
Pro

2010 REVIEW
A hot 4-and-2 start for the SMU Mustangs had the team thinking second consecutive bowl game since 1983-84, however, the Ponies made things difficult on themselves and needed a win on the road against East Carolina in the final game of the season to notch their sixth victory. In a thrilling game, SMU's 17 fourth quarter points proved to be enough for a 40-34 win and made the Mustangs bowl eligible.

Quarterback Kyle Padron, who set a school-record for passing yards, led another 4th quarter rally against 22nd ranked Middle Tennessee State and the Mustangs upset the Blue Raiders 31-24 in the New Orleans bowl.

With 19 starters set to return for 2011, June Jones and the Mustangs will be well equipped to capture the schools first conference championship since 1984.

SCHEDULE/RESULTS
Spoiler

Overall Record: 7-6
C-USA Record: 5-3 (2nd in West)
C-USA Champion: #18 Central Florida (12-2, 9-0)
Bowl Game: New Orleans Bowl vs. Mid Tenn St. (W 31-24)
Offensive Player of the Year: WR Aldrick Robinson (100 Rec, 1084 Yds, 8 TD)
Defensive Player of the Year: DE Margus Hunt (47 Solo, 41 TFL, 12.5 Sck)
Heisman Winner: QB Taylor Potts, Texas Tech

Rose Bowl: #3 Boise State (13-0, 8-0) def. #13 Oregon (10-3, 7-2)
Fiesta Bowl: #6 Oklahoma (13-1, 8-1) def. West Virginia (8-5, 6-1)
Sugar Bowl: #2 TCU (13-0, 8-0) def. #12 North Carolina (10-3, 6-2)
Orange Bowl: #4 Miami (12-2, 8-1) def. #9 Iowa (11-2, 7-1)
BCS National Championship: #1 Ohio State (13-0, 8-0) def. #5 Alabama (13-1, 9-0)
Old 12-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
MVP

hoopla32's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft_Works
It's the combination of about 3 different articles, I should have put in a disclaimer, not trying to pass it off as my own.
Naw, you're cool. I'm looking forward to this one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Rookie

Lupine's Arena

OVR: 9

Will follow, good luck with SMU.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
Pro

CB Andrae May leaving Stillwater for Mustangs

Sophomore cornerback Andrae May announced earlier today his plans to transfer from Oklahoma State to play at Southern Methodist. May only saw limited action in 2010 for the Cowboys, recording two assisted tackles. As a true sophomore, May will be able to redshirt while he sits out during 2011 due to NCAA regulations. May will have two years of eligibility left once he is cleared to play in 2012. May possesses good speed and acceleration as well as good man coverage skills.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

Always enjoy something new to read at work.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »