Home

CBS Sports Broadcaster's Blog: Chuck Edward

This is a discussion on CBS Sports Broadcaster's Blog: Chuck Edward within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
Pro

NYwRiter94's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: CBS Sports Broadcaster's Blog: Chuck Edward

This is a really interesting idea and I'm loving the execution. The only thing is that I'd suggest some pictures in the video--even if you just take stuff from the extra point. It helps to be able to visualize what you're talking about.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

cedward1990 (Chuck Edward)
----------

cedward1990 Chuck Edward
I feel like this is where the Bears season is going to take off. Chris Wessling is about to become the new Michael Vick. I'm telling you! They will dominate Washington next week.
1 DEC

cedward1990 Chuck Edward
@NYwRiter94 Thanks a lot for the input, buddy. I really appreciate it. Pretty good idea! Plus, it wouldn't be difficult or time consuming at all and it would add so much!
1 DEC

cedward1990 Chuck Edward
@JC_QUICK Thank you thank you thank you! I'll try my best to keep this going. I feel good about the blog, I think it'll be around for quite a while!
2 DEC

cedward1990
Chuck Edward

Played catch in the pool with Peyton today. He nearly took my head off. Still has the arm, this guy!
2 DEC

Old 01-29-2011, 02:28 AM   #11
Rookie

----------

cedward1990 Chuck Edward
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dwIBdoQSCk Okay, I gave in and put a lot more detail into the Week 13 NFL Update. I got pressured by my producers. No pictures though, sorry! Got too lazy!
7 DEC

For the few who saw the earlier post -- there were a couple errors in the script I read that I wanted fixed. So I deleted that post, fixed the errors, and re-posted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Rookie

CBS Sports Broadcaster's Blog // Chuck Edward
Now available FREE in the iVirtual App Store!
-----
Edward: Fenway Park and Cutler-Continued
December 8th 2022

Hey there. Its been a while since I've posted. As always, this is heavily due to the extremely busy life of that comes with being a broadcaster.

Just kidding, it's only because I'm extremely lazy.

ANYWAY. Many stories to get you caught up with before I get you updated on Bears/Redskins and more past-season memories.

Me and Peyton were in Foxborough to call the Week 13 game between the Jets and Patriots. We were sitting in the press box before the game, the MA air smacking our faces relentlessly. I look down at the field and say, "Gosh, being here and not seeing Brady or Belichick roaming the sidelines is just something I'll never get used to."

Peyton's response, "You've never said anything like that for any of the Colts games we've covered."

I just looked at him, smiled, and laughed. Peyton has no idea that I used to sit with my father and marvel over his excellence week after week as if we'd never seen him play before. Of course, I wasn't nice enough to say this to Peyton. He's such a big baby!!

Nah, I'm kidding. Completely. Peyton is the greatest and there isn't anyone else in the world I'd rather have as my color commentator.

Anyway. We drove around town for a while during the week. Did a lot of sight seeing and put a bunch of miles on the car -- which ended up being pretty costly by the way, but that's okay. Seeing Fenway Park never gets old. The remodeling and renovations are just proof of how far we've come as a civilization. It's like that old IBM saying, "Lets build a smarter planet." Well, we've done that. And no, I'm not crediting IBM.

The amazing thing about Fenway is that they managed to fix it all up without it looking really any different. The Green Monster is still the same as its always been, the scoreboards, everything. It's just the concrete and concourse that are fixed up and much improved. Of course, I haven't been INSIDE the stadium to tell you what the concourse is like BUT - Peyton and I made a pact to come see a Red Sox game sometime during the summer. Which should be a lot of fun.

Alright, so... everyone's been waiting for it. More on the Jay Cutler story. We dive back in.

We ended last time touching on Glen Scullane's boat-rocking performance. BOY did it rock the boat. Big time. Scullane was carried off the field after the game, it was like watching the end of "Rudy" only in Chicago. And it was real life.

Cutler was no where to be seen after the game. Head Coach, Terrell Owens told the press that Jay was still hurting from the knock to the head he'd taken earlier in the game and would be unable to address the media until later in the week.

Later in the week came, and still no Jay.

Cutler came back the following week but was never the same. Under Cutler, Chicago finished the 2011-2012 season at 8-8. Failing to make the playoffs, and looking terrible in the process. Cutler threw for 14 touchdown passes and 29 interceptions to accompany his 68 quarterback rating on the year.

"Man, we were lucky to win eight games," uttered a disgusted first year coach, Terrell Owens, "Honestly, we got a lot of work to do if we want to start winning next year. We got to get on that, man."

The offseason turned out to be one of many changes for the Chicago Bears. Faces of the franchises were wiped away instantaneously with one fatal swipe. And it all started with Jay Cutler. He seemed fine after the season-ending game against Green Bay. Ending the season with a 16-9 win at home over the Packers disguised hidden feelings of fury and anger.

A hot topic in Chicago Sports Radio during the summer surrounded Cutler and the vibes he was giving off in press conferences and interviews toward the latter portion of the season. One 670AM The Score radio host said, "I don't know, it just feels like if one more negative thing happens to Jay -- no matter how big or small it may be -- things might get awfully controversial around these parts. I'm just saying."

He turned out to be completely right.

On March 26th, 2012, a rumor, false as it may have been, began thanks to a TMZ internet publication. Supposedly, Cutler left a voice-mail intended for a friend, but somehow "accidentally" left it in the message-system of a local media reporter. And of course, TMZ somehow got their hands on it.

The message:

"I dunno, man. I just think I need a change of scenery, you know? And I can't work with Terrell [Owens]. I don't know how or why he was ever given a job in the first place. That **** just confuses me."

The voice-mail, whether it was Cutler's or not, sparked a never-ending saga. Cutler denied the voice in the message being his and refused to comment any further. For weeks, he was pestered by the media. The worst part is, the Chicago Bears organization never came out and said anything in his defense.

Personally, I believed Cutler when he claimed it wasn't him. I feel like he's more honest than people may realize. I've always been a complete supporter of the man. Sadly, the media got to him and he eventually DID ask for a trade. Chicago put him on the block a short few weeks later and soon, the trade that strapped the Bears franchise to a rocket and launched them into another galaxy was made.
-----

My quick thoughts on the Bears/Redskins game:

- Really Washington? Three roughing-the-passer penalties on one drive? All on third down? Honestly?

- Washington honestly gave this game away with their overly aggressive pass-rush. And I mean that in the worst way. It's good to be aggressive on the pass rush, AS LONG AS YOU'RE NOT DESTROYING THE QUARTERBACK AFTER THE PLAY. I feel like Washington linebackers Becket Myers and Brian Orakpo were trying to kill Wessling. Didn't you get the feeling they were trying to eliminate him from the game? Cause I did.

- Thankfully, Wessling was able to take advantage of 87 yards worth of penalties taken by Washington. He was also able to get up and walk off the thousand or so hits he took. Many of them coming literally seconds after releasing the ball.

- The Bears offense was sparked by the penalties. While they did score 52, they were certainly not as dominant as they were the previous week. But they were still powerful for the most part on this rainy Sunday in Washington.

- This is the first time I've seen the Bears score almost 100 points in a two-week-stretch in a very, very long time. Its been since 2019, when they opened the first two weeks scoring an astounding 52 against Detroit and 49 the following week against Green Bay. Boy, did that season have a real story-line ending. And you'll hear about it from my perspective (WHICH I'M SURE UR DYING 2 HEAR!!!!!11) later on in the blog.

Last edited by KA88NE; 01-29-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:21 AM   #13
Rookie

----------

cedward1990 Chuck Edward
Packers/Bears on Sunday. Always interesting. Last time for Rodgers at Soldier Field? Will be watching the second half from the press-box in Oakland.
8 DEC

cedward1990 Chuck Edward
Looking at the Bears schedule. GIANTS in town one week from now. Wish I could call that one. Coach Owens back in town? Former Bears star corner, Braddie Hopkins too? Crazy.
9 DEC

cedward1990 Chuck Edward
Live from the Oakland press-box. By my request, we have the Bears game on one of the monitors while I touch up on my pre-game Titans/Raiders notes. Peyton's watching Indy's close one with Houston too.
11 DEC

cedward1990
Chuck Edward

Wow, the Packers need a new kicker. Two missed field goals in overtime from within 35 yards? That's terrible. Byron Davis is the goat. First tie I've seen the Bears involved in.. ever. In my whole life.
11 DEC

cedward1990 Chuck Edward
Hype already brewing about Giants/Bears next week. Interesting: www.yahoo.com/sports/nationalfootballleague/giantsbearspreview.html -- Also, read my upcoming blog post for thoughts on Packers/Bears!!
12 DEC

-----

Replaced, Hurt, Back For Revenge

Terrell Owens will return to Soldier Field for first time Sunday.
Jeff Cimak --Yahoo! Sports NFL Writer

CHICAGO, IL -- The boys are back in town.

The coach who led the Bears to three Super Bowl victories and the player who was part of each and every one of them will return to Soldier Field next Sunday. Both with chips on their shoulders.

Owens, who amassed a 101-43 record during his tenure as Chicago's head coach, has never shied away from voicing his disdain at the way things ended in the Windy City.

But now he says it's all in the past.

"I'm with a new team now, man. New crap to focus on. I just got to stay focused on the present," said Owens Wednesday afternoon in Chicago.

Owens, who turned 50 just last week, claims things were blown out of proportion when the split between him and the Bears organization took place.

"Things were said that were not meant," claims Owens, "you guys have taken things overboard my entire career. That won't ever change. I'm just focusing on me and my team, and what we have to do to win."

Owens and the Giants, fresh off an impressive 30-10 road victory in the New Georgia Dome, come into Chicago at 8-5. Being neck-and-neck with the Eagles who sit just ahead of them at 8-4, Owens feels going into Chicago is a welcome challenge.

"They a good team, a lot of talent over there. Trust me, I know," he said. "But this a good thing. Every team faces challenges. This is a good measuring stick. We need this."

Beating Chicago has been no easy task for opposing NFC teams this season. The Bears are 8-1-1 versus same-conference-opponents in 2022.

"They're always winning," said a smiling Braddie Hopkins. "Some things never change."

Braddie Hopkins, a star corner-back during his time in Chicago, was dropped from the roster after the 2018 season. His contract had run out after having won three Super Bowls, including two Pro Bowl-selections and the NFC Defensive Back of the Year Award in 2015. Naturally, Hopkins wanted to cash in on the resume he had worked so hard to build up.

Unfortunately, it would have to be out of a different team's pocket. Chicago simply did not have the funds available to make the deal.

"It was a real shame," said Chicago Bears General Manager, Brian Urlacher. "Love that kid, but we had an up and coming player in Join [Jackson] that we felt could step in and do the job just as well."

Hopkins was drafted by the Bears with the 3rd overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft.

"The organization gave up an arm and a leg to get him that year," Urlacher later noted.

And they did.

The Philadelphia Eagles held the rights to the 3rd overall pick in that year's draft, and Chicago felt it necessary to trade up 14 slots to get him. In a deal that sent the aging Lance Briggs to Philadelphia along with Early Doucet and a 2nd round pick, Terrell Owens and the Bears got exactly what they wanted.

"Braddie always ends up with me everywhere I go," laughed Terrell Owens, "which is great. Love me some talent."

Owens, who parted ways with the Bears after the organization grew tired of his drama-inducing ways, will take his first crack at disappointing his former team on Sunday.

If things go well for him and his corner, Braddie Hopkins, the Giants could find themselves atop the NFC East by the end of the day, Sunday. Chicago is coming off a sub-par performance against an awful Packers team, but let it be known -- with Terrell Owens back in town, the Bears will no doubt be alive for this one.

Rain is in the fore-cast for Sunday's tilt, and so is revenge.

Last edited by KA88NE; 01-30-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

This is awesome (except for all the Super Bowls the Bears won). Can't wait for the next update.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
Rookie

CBS Sports Broadcaster's Blog // Chuck Edward
Now available FREE in the iVirtual App Store!
-----
Edward: The Cutler Conclusion
December 14th 2022

Before we put the finishing touches on the Cutler story (The Cutler Story, wow. That sounds E! Hollywood Story-worthy), I'd like to give a thank you to packabacka19. I'm very glad you're enjoying this and I appreciate your input. I understand your being upset about the Bears and their many Super Bowl victories, but hey -- I'm sure that somewhere, in some... parallel universe. The Packers are getting ready as we speak for a Super Bowl match-up with, like, the Steelers or something. So be happy about that!

So I always give you a mini-update on my life or something along those lines before we get back into my story-telling, but since I've left you hanging for so long on the Cutler story... we'll just get back into that immediately.

I decided to be a jerk and leave a bit of a cliff hangar on the last one. I told you Cutler was traded, but I didn't say where or for who. In the words of any NFL receiver who just caught a pass for a first down --

"BOI, DAS WUT I DO. GET @ MEH."

Are you feeling me? Good.

For weeks, rumors circulated around Jay Cutler and where he might end up. Terrell Owens, Head Coach and General Manager at the time, made it public that he was not approaching anyone about the trade. They would have to come to him.

And they flocked.

The man who was supposedly hated by so many around the league was garnering interest from every which way. And the most surprising team perhaps was the New York Jets.

The idea of Mark Sanchez being the "Sanchize" seemed to be slipping away. After all, he hadn't won a Super Bowl in over three years of playing for the team! What a loser! *sigh* Patience has never been the strong-point of a city like New York. That showed through immensely when rumors came up about Sanchez going to Chicago.

Sadly (for New York, that is), the rumors were not just rumors. It actually happened. I still remember watching NFL Network the morning it happened. I was just 22 years old when Rich Eisen's voice filled my living room that day.

"Okay, well we're just getting word that a deal has, wow, a deal has finally taken place. Jay Cutler, get this, going to New York to play for the Jets."

At this point, I stood up. Shocked. Never did I expect a trade with the Jets to work. I never understood why the Jets approached the Bears in the first place.

"Oh my, the Bears giving up a lot in this deal. It doesn't end at Jay Cutler, but Brian Urlacher on his way to New York as well. All to get Mark Sanchez and a 2nd-rounder in 2013."

"Was that the best they could do?" I thought. I was infuriated, I loved Jay Cutler. I loved Brian Urlacher. Why give up so much for an unproven quarterback who had done nothing more than Jay Cutler during his tenure in New York?

Little did I know that Mark Sanchez would become the face of what, for a decade, would become a dynasty in the National Football League. A Patriots-esque, Steelers-esque dynasty.

The 2012-2013 season was funny. I always mention the chaos that surrounded the approach of what was supposed to be "Dooms Day", but the fact that the Detroit Lions were the best team in the NFC and maybe the entire league that year made the idea of an apocalypse seem so much more real.

2012-2013 (XLVII): INDIANAPOLIS COLTS 23 DEF DETROIT LIONS 20 (FINAL/OT)

The Super Bowl never seems to disappoint, unless you're a Lions fan. After finishing the year 13-3 (scaring everybody halfway to hell considering people were already scared about the end of the world), the Lions got by the Washington Redskins in the Divisional Round, then a Cardinals team trying to get back into the Super Bowl in the NFC Championship Game, and just ran into the wrong team in the final.

Could it have been anyone but the Indianapolis Colts?

People saw it coming, though. When the world didn't end in 2012, and we made it through to 2013 with another chance to watch a Super Bowl -- it became pretty obvious that the Lions would end up losing to the Colts. We were back to reality.

The Lions, led by Matthew Stafford, seemed to be poised to be a winner for a long time. As it turned out, they'd win for several years, just not the big one. And Matthew Stafford, the man who people thought was the face of the franchise, would barely last to 2015.

Speaking of lasting, boy did the Lions do just that. They hung right with Peyton Manning and the Colts the entire game. Stafford threw strike after strike, as did Peyton Manning. But down 20-17 with just over a minute left and no timeouts available, Detroit needed one more drive.

From their own 28, they delivered to a crowd of 76,482 at the Louisiana Superdome and the millions watching around the world. Sort of. The unlikely combination of Stafford and Brandon Pettigrew moved the Lions as far as the Colts 40 before they were left with only enough time to try for a long 57-yard field goal.

Lions kicker, Leigh Tiffin made his way out onto the field. Knowing that on the sideline across from him stood possibly the greatest kicker to ever play the game.

"All those people watching, and the only eyes I could feel were Adam's." Leigh's exact words.

He made the incredibly tough field goal and forced overtime, where Adam Vinatieri was waiting for him. Of course. Vinatieri hit a 48 yarder of his own in the extra frame. Needless to say, the Lions could not score on their final try, and the Colts walked off the winners of the 47th Super Bowl.

Oh, Adam. You're ridiculous.
------
Anyway, I've gotta get downstairs for a meeting with some producers from CBS. Free food down there, can't wait!

So quick thoughts on the Packers/Bears game and I'm out:
  • Green Bay 24 @ Chicago 24 (Week 14)
  • Why didn't the Packers play like this... the OTHER 12 games of their season?
  • Aaron Rodgers played like he was 26 again! With his astonishing 504 passing yards, he put himself 11th all-time on the most passing yards in a game list. Granted, he threw the ball 66 times and had a full quarter of overtime to do it in – but still. Great performance from Rodgers despite the three interceptions.
  • Had Banks Woodfaulk not been in the Bears secondary, Chicago would have missed out on two interceptions, two fumble recoveries, including one for 98 yards, and more than likely would have been destroyed by a 1-11 Green Bay team in this one.
  • Chris Wessling had but 12 passing yards in the first quarter, and he couldn't get out of the pocket. The Packers did an outstanding job preparing for him in this one. No where near the dominance he showed the previous two weeks.
  • I have a feeling the Vick-comparisons are going to stop for Wessling. Especially if this is how he's going to perform now that teams have a little video on him. He's going to need to gradually improve and learn if he wants to continue to be as good as he was against Seattle and Washington.

Last edited by KA88NE; 01-30-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #16
Rookie

----------

cedward1990 Chuck Edward
Wowowow. Perfect ending to a perfect match-up. Bears 27, Giants 24. The best part? I'm going to be on a three-way conference-call with Giants HC, Terrell Owens AND Bears HC Roddy White. Will be recording and posting it later!
18 DEC
-----

Well, THAT was rude

Chicago, IL -- Hit the road, Terrell. And don't you come back no more, no more, no more, no more.

Ray Charles' classic blared over the PA system, Sunday afternoon with the word "Terrell" wisely edited in place of "Jack". Despite New York leading for the majority of the game, the Chicago Bears were able to walk away from rainy Soldier Field the victors of a tightly-contested game.

New York running back, Devin Marquez rushed for 113 yards and the New York Giants led several methodical drives, but the downpour from the skies above made hanging onto the ball extremely difficult. 3 Giants turnovers, including a fumbled ball post-interception by former Bear, Braddie Hopkins, were enough to keep Chicago alive on a day they could not get the ball rolling.

Fumble recoveries were the story for the Bears. Down 14-3 nearing the end of the first half, 2020 first overall pick, Damarr Caro picked up a fumble forced by middle linebacker, Brandon Fulton.

"Brandon really nailed Devin [Marquez], that was ridiculous," said the defensive end, Caro, "all I had to do was carry it into the end zone."

The play was a God-send for a team that, for the second straight week, needed all the breaks they could get to win. With just 14 minutes of possession time for the game's duration, it was clear that a defensive play would need to win the game.

In what, for the most part, was a very sluggish game, that did not turn out to be the case.

Down 24-20 with just over 3 minutes and change to play, the Bears got a clutch performance out of star receiver, Kody Fruean. When do they not?

After being invisible for the majority of the tilt, Fruean caught 4 passes for 63 yards on his way to a game-winning touchdown just before the game would hit the two-minute-warning.

Terrell Owens and the Giants could not muster anything up with their final drive and Chicago sent their former coach home cold, wet, and the opposite of a winner.

The 27-24 victory moves Chicago to 10-3-1. The Giants fall to 8-6 with the heart-breaking loss.

Last edited by KA88NE; 02-02-2011 at 06:19 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »