Home

CBS Sports Broadcaster's Blog: Chuck Edward

This is a discussion on CBS Sports Broadcaster's Blog: Chuck Edward within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
CBS Sports Broadcaster's Blog: Chuck Edward

CBS Sports Broadcaster's Blog // Chuck Edward
Now available FREE in the iVirtual App Store!
-----
BIOGRAPHY
Born June 27th, 1990, Edward grew up in the suburbs of Chicago wishing to one day make it in the broadcasting industry. A short 32 years later, and he's already achieved that dream. Easily one of the youngest national broadcasters of our time, Edward spent the majority of his life living for the sports he loved. "Mainly hockey," he says, "but football was always right up there." Chuck claims his wants to be a broadcaster stem all the way back to January 1999, when he grew up listening to childhood favorites like current CBS Broadcaster, Jim Nantz and former San Jose Sharks broadcaster, Randy Hahn. "Those guys made me who I am today," says Edward, "I learned the trade from them and will always credit them with being big influences in my life." Edward is the oldest of the three born to parents Brooke and Ian. He graduated from the University of Illinois with degrees in both radio/television broadcasting and broadcast journalism. He has yet to marry, and continues to live in the suburbs of Chicago with his bichon-frise, AJ. Edward has broadcast National Football League and NCAA College Basketball games for CBS since 2019.
-----

Edward: Memories. Oh, Memories. I have some of those!
November 20th 2022

In case this is your first time reading my blog -- I may or may not be a Bears fan. Whether or not I am a Bears fan, I cannot reveal to you due to contractual obligations. I'm not supposed to post anything biased on here because I will be calling games for many of the teams I speak of in this blog. Judge for yourself whether or not you think I am a Bears fan. After all, the majority of the posts on this blog always have been and will be Bears-related. That's not to say I haven't or won't speak of other teams... but if you glance through this thing a few times, it's almost like I'm some kid writing about his Madden franchise on one of those old video game forums. The difference? This is real life. Totally. And this is absolutely not a franchise-story report.

Needless to say, however -- when I was younger, playing a Madden franchise and writing a story about it was a concept I was in love with. I did it all the time. Once, I began a writing franchise story after playing a good thirteen seasons into the franchise I wanted to base it on. So to begin it and really set the mood and history, I posted the story-lines and happenings that intrigued me most from every season I had played to date. And as I sit here waiting to take off for Kansas City (third-tier broadcasters, for the win! I love visiting 3-7 teams!), I thought it might be fun to look back at every year since my broadcasting career officially began and delve into the memories that accompanied each and every one of the glorious NFL seasons I've experienced. Starting in 2010, when I was a junior in college interning at CBS 2 in Chicago. We'll do it like this: YEAR - SUPER BOWL WINNER - RECOLLECTION.

2010-2011 (XLV): BALTIMORE RAVENS 13 DEF GREEN BAY PACKERS 10
This season was honestly the beginning of what would turn into year after year of luck for the Chicago Bears. And no, this is not even about Terrell Suggs crushing Aaron Rodgers' leg (and dreams, and career for that matter) in Super Bowl 45. If you look back at that year, the Bears actually managed to barely squeak into the playoffs at 9-7 thanks to a fluke win over the Green Bay Packers in Week 17. Oh, what a moment it was. Funny, exciting, and lucky; all rolled into one package. Down 30-28 and pinned at their own 12, Chicago's Jay Cutler under-threw a deep ball intended for tight-end, Greg Olsen. Green Bay defender, Charles Woodson sat parked on the right sideline in much better position to catch the ball than Olsen, and the city of Chicago collectively sighed and readied themselves for a season-ending interception. Alas, that did not happen. It should have, it almost did, but it did not. The most unbelievable ending to a season. With only forty seconds left on the clock and down to a tough 3rd down and 12, the under-thrown ball hit Woodson in the head and deflected right into the arms of Greg Olsen -- who caught it and ran freely into the end-zone for the go ahead touchdown that propelled Chicago into the playoffs. A 6th seed they were, and New Orleans embarrassed them with a crushing 41-20 defeat in the first round of the playoffs only a few days later. Deservedly so. Regardless, it was still great.

Uh oh, computer battery is dying. I haven't charged it in eleven days and counting. I know, lazy! We're about to take off anyway. Kansas City, here we come. Oh boy. More on 2011 and beyond when I get to the hotel room in KC. How exciting. I'll see if my outstanding color commentator, Peyton Manning has anything to add to these memories too. Should be interesting to see what he has to say. Especially when we get to 2018. Peyton's FAVORITE year, I'm sure!

Last edited by KA88NE; 01-30-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: CBS Sports Broadcaster's Blog: Chuck Edward

This should be a good one! Good first report. I'm following.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
Rookie

cedward1990 (Chuck Edward)
----------

cedward1990 Chuck Edward
Welp. Without Glen Scullane, I think this franchise really wishes they had Mark Sanchez back. BUT... Chris Wessling is pretty good. The Bears will be fine. 7-3!
21 NOV

cedward1990 Chuck Edward
Kansas City. Not bad. I've always loved their uni's, glad they haven't changed them after all these years.
20 NOV

cedward1990 Chuck Edward
@Coltsfan22301 No, Peyton is not unretiring. Anyone have a question about me? ... Just once? No..? Okay.
20 NOV

cedward1990 Chuck Edward
@cumbackpeytonplease87 Peyton and I do not share a room on the road, no. And no, he will not share a room with you. And no, he will not be biased during today's broadcast despite KC hosting his old team.
20 NOV

cedward1990 Chuck Edward
@bryanjayyy Thanks for your support!! Very appreciated!
19 NOV

Last edited by KA88NE; 01-25-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
Rookie

-----
Edward: More History and More Complaining
November 28th 2022

When we arrived in Kansas City last week, I ended up not having much time to allocate myself to the computer and get a full blog post up. A lot of interesting things to make note of.

First of all, close call on the plane ride there. Planes have not changed much in the last ten years. The amenities are much more sleek and the options are much more open as far as food and entertainment and what not go, but the whole flying part just never changes. Excuse me for sounding so simple.

Turbulence galore. Good God, it was ridiculous. Peyton actually threw up. And this was all a real shame because we'd gotten into a very compelling conversation regarding the Bears and what would probably become of them with their starting quarterback out. Also, for the FIRST time, I finally got him to comment on his replacement quarterback in Indy.

Which is outstanding because Peyton seems to shy away from the subject. It wasn't a happy ending for him when he retired in 2018. One of the more saddening sports stories I've ever read about. We'll stop there for a teaser, the story will no doubt be touched on once we get to the 2018 section of my memory-based historical recap.

Which we will continue now with the 2011-2012 season. A season that also had an outstandingly dramatic ending. The year closed out its final chapter with a repeat of a match-up we'd seen just a few years prior. It was like USA Network re-airing Billy Madison, it was a movie we had seen before.

2011-2012 (XLVI): PITTSBURGH STEELERS 21 DEF ARIZONA CARDINALS 18
Does the National Football League ever NOT have a dramatic ending? Yea, with my last analogy, I made it seem like I was bored of the idea of a rematch. Well, I was not. I was just trying to sound funny. Steelers/Cardinals a second time was just as good, if not better than the first time.

The Cardinals didn't even make the playoffs a season before, and many wondered what would become of them if they couldn't find a quarterback and quick. As it turns out, they found one. Very quickly. A young man by the name of JaMaine Peters lost in the shuffle with a boatload of other quarterbacks in the 2011 NFL Draft. He was able to run, he had a rocket arm, great accuracy, and an unbelievable mind. Everything you want in your quarterback.

Sadly, Kurt Warner was a quarterback with all the necessary tools to win too. He couldn't get it done against the Steelers, and neither could this 5th round pick out of Alabama.

After driving the Steelers to hell with a 13 play, 91 yard drive, much of it done using his Vick-like legs; he had to sit back and wait for a minute and twenty seconds on the dot. Could the Cardinals defense hold the 18-14 lead they'd worked so hard to obtain?

Well, they are the Cardinals.

Mike Wallace was the culprit this time. A dagger, much like Ben's 2009 shank to Santonio Holmes. Only this time around, an unreal catch was not needed. Wallace's outstanding route running lead to a conversion on 4th and 12 early in the drive that gave them a new set of downs and another chance at making a play. Of course, he made the next play too. No time necessary, with 36 seconds left, Wallace made the game winning play after grabbing a quick throw to the flats and breaking three tackles en-route to the end-zone. Just because I said an unreal catch was not needed does not mean an unreal play wasn't needed either.

This play was ridiculous. It reminded me of a run I had with Marshawn Lynch in a video game back when I was around 20 years old. I believe it was in Madden 11. My Seahawks franchise made the playoffs at 7-9 (yea, I know... shut it) and we trolled enough to earn a home game against the New Orleans Saints. Lynch, in TRUE video game fashion, broke at least seven tackles before galloping a good 55 or so yards to pay-dirt. Effectively ending the game. Don't ask why I have such a wonderful recollection of something that happened in a VIDEO game.

But back to reality.

What was most interesting was what ensued after Super Bowl 46. The Bears, having finished 9-7 under Jay Cutler, were about to endure something they never would have expected from someone who GREW UP a Bears fan. We'll get to what Jay did and my thoughts on it in the next post.

Peyton is bothering me to use the computer so I'm going to make some quick points here:

- Great win tonight on Sunday Night Football for the Bears. On one side of the ball.
- A lot of people are downing the Bears for barely getting by weak opponents but, as I've said for years, it just doesn't matter. They still pull it out! *smirk* ... *bursts out laughing* ... I said pull it out! That's sexual!
- Defensively, the Bears were an embarrassment. Cris Collinsworth mentioned how unbelievable it was to him that, even though the Bears held leads of twenty points or more on two different occasions in the game, you still felt like it was entirely possible for Seattle to chip their way back into it. And sure enough, BOTH TIMES it almost happened!
- Brandon Fulton and Axel Afo, two of the top linebackers in the game today. The new version of Urlacher and Briggs. Awful tonight.
- The man Revis took under his wing for offseason after offseason in Join Jackson was just as bad as the rest of the secondary tonight.
- The good news is, Chris Wessling was OUTSTANDING and was almost a bootlegged version of Michael Vick in this game. 300 yards and 4 passing TDs, AND 56 yards rushing!? From your second string quarterback? Yes sir. I said it a few weeks ago, Chicago fans freaked out when Glen Scullane went down. And Chicago fans freaked out when Chris came into that game against Minnesota and sucked it up, but you've gotta give the kid time. He was given time, especially with Glen being out for what looks like will be a long time, and look at em -- HE PERFORMED tonight. Great job.

We'll take a look at NFL standings and what not later and obviously more of the history leading up to today I've been getting into. The Jay Cutler 2012 offseason debacle and Peyton Manning's 2018 are definitely points I can't wait to get to.

Okay, Peyton... who for some reason doesn't have his own computer... is demanding the computer now. So I will log off and allow him to log on. Talk to you again soon, blogging world.

Last edited by KA88NE; 01-30-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
Rookie

cedward1990 (Chuck Edward)
----------

cedward1990 Chuck Edward
Working on the blog. Thinking I'll do some world-history reports on these recollections I'm posting instead of just football.
29 NOV

cedward1990 Chuck Edward
The world has changed... a LOT since 2011. Geez, I barely even thought about it till now. Read about it in my upcoming blog post! /shameless plug.
30 NOV

cedward1990 Chuck Edward
@Knoxers Just because Knox loved his time in Arizona doesn't mean he forgot how good he had it in Chicago. Trust me. So don't worry, no need to take back your J-KNOX fanhood!
30 NOV

cedward1990
Chuck Edward

God, I miss Wikipedia. Come back Wikipedia, please!!!!
30 NOV

Last edited by KA88NE; 01-26-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Rookie

Deleted for certain reasons

Last edited by KA88NE; 04-18-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
Rookie

JC QUICK's Arena

OVR: 4

this is great!!! keep it up
Old 01-26-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
Rookie

-----
Edward: Sorry, but this post is kind of a teaser.
December 1st 2022

On several occasions, I've brought up Peyton and his shying away from speaking of 2018. But when I asked him about 2012, his eyes lit up. So many stories he had to tell. You may have seen Manning in "America's Game: The 2012-2013 Indianapolis Colts", part of NFL Network's series of documentaries chronicling the stories of Super Bowl teams from years past.

Despite an outstanding Super Bowl and a memorable season leading up to it, 2012 was not remembered for the National Football League season. For centuries, December 21st, 2012 was a day that several people, cultures, and civilizations prophetically claimed would be the final one in human history.

Several "Doom's Day" scenarios were thought up. Anything from nuclear winters to a black hole sweeping the world up into its endless boundaries. The chaos that occurred leading up to that day was unforgettable. In the YEARS leading up to it, it seemed like everyone was skeptical. I don't think I knew more than a handful of people that believed it would actually happen. SUDDENLY, when we got closer and closer to it, it was all you could hear about when you'd turn on CNN -- "OH MY GOD, WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE." - The World.

I'll end the life portion of this there and again tease you, as I always do. If you're a woman and you're a fan of my blog, be thankful you aren't my wife. More stories on "Dooms Day" to come in later blogs.

Before we get to the story of the 2012 off-season and the roller-coaster ride it was, I thought it'd be worth mentioning that our CBS crew is enjoying time here in San Diego. I'm not even going to mention who the Chargers are playing, you can look it up yourself. It's not worth talking about, because this is the most unreal resort I've ever been to.

There was a time when I was extremely young that an "awesome" hotel stay would mean I got to sleep on a water-bed and watch ESPN on the television with the family. These days, it takes a lot to impress me. And I think it's official, the Downer's Hotel and Resort is just.. AHH. RELAXATION.

Get this, they have those beds that astronauts use. Astronauts! Complete comfort. And when you're ready for bed, they have iVirtual's at the ready hovering just above the head positions of the bed.

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past couple of years, the "iVirtual" is the world's first hologram-based television, phone, and music player. Basically, it's just this diminutive box that, when turned on, opens up into a hologram of beauty, information, and fun. You can change the size of the iVirtual's screen with ease so that using it as a portable television or talking on the phone can readily be accomplished.

It's like the old iPhone or iPad... only virtual!

So sitting there watching HD TV hovering right above your head while you relax on a bed that's simultaneously massaging your aging body all equals out into an outstanding hotel stay. In fact, I'm writing this all out right now using the iVirtual hovering above me. Just sitting here on my back watching as the words I speak type themselves out onto the screen is a pretty interesting experience.

ANYWAY. I promised I'd get into Jay Cutler and Chicago's 2011 off-season in this post and I'm highly contemplating putting it off till the next one and shutting out for the night. But I don't want to be that mean. I'll at least begin the story. Not that you can't look it all up, but I mean come on... you wouldn't do that!

One thing Jay Cutler doesn't seem to understand is that any general manager in the NFL would love to have a talented backup quarterback. It's almost a must to have competition at your most important position on the field. Sure you can say, "ah, but it's Jay's team! Let it stay that way!" But what is wrong with making your starting quarterback continue to work as hard as possible to PROVE that it's his team? After all, at this point, Jay had only led the Bears to the playoffs ONCE. Sure, two winning seasons. Barely. 9-7 both tries.

So Jerry Angelo, approaching what would be his final moments as the general manager of the team, went out and found himself a backup in the draft. He even made a point of drafting the man late so as not to "offend" Jay.

**CUE UP VIDEO OF 2011 NFL DRAFT

ROGER: With the 145th pick in the 2011 NFL Entry Draft, the Chicago Bears select... GLEN SCULLANE. Quarterback, Tulsa University.

Little did Jerry know, he'd made an outstanding pick. Glen worked his butt off immediately. If you had to give him a Madden rating, he probably barely broke 70 overall when he first hopped onto the team. (Old video game players will know what I'm talking about!) The first year, you would not have known it. It took until a Week 6 (2011 season) game with the Detroit Lions for anyone to realize the Bears may have had something in Glen.

Down 31-7 early in the second half, Cutler was pulled out of the game after he couldn't pass a concussion-test. He had under-performed the entire game, and many in Chicago's ruthless (how unusual! ... not) crowd were shouting out in unison, "WE WANT GLEN. WE WANT GLEN."

Well, they got Glen. And WOW. They got a lot more.

Scullane came into his first NFL action having only taken one regular season snap. It was a fake field goal try earlier in the season. He was the place holder that would eventually pick the ball up and fail on a try to put the ball into the end-zone instead of settling for the three.

That play was NO fore-shadowing of what Glen would later accomplish. In fact, it was the opposite of fore-shadowing. I wish I was smart enough to have a word at-the-ready to use here, but I don't.

Trailing by 24, Glen would do something that would become a trade-mark of his later in his career -- making RIDICULOUS comebacks. Unthinkable comebacks. Running from the no-huddle right from the get-go, Scullane showed off his incredible arm strength and took repeated deep shots. Deep shots that connected. End of the third quarter -- 56 yard touchdown pass to Johnny Knox. 31-14. Early in the fourth, he drove the Bears to the Detroit 29 after starting at his own 1 yard line. Robbie Gould connected on a field goal try to make it 31-17.

Still being down by a lot didn't matter. The Soldier Field crowd was beginning to feel an energy they hadn't experienced the entire game. Chicago's newly signed free agent middle-linebacker, Bryan Jones forced a fumble shortly after that gave Scullane a much needed extra try.

He ran away with it.

Another touchdown to Johnny Knox made it 31-24, and then later a TD run by former Bears running back, Matt Forte tied the game at 31. In overtime, Chicago won the coin toss and the rest is history. Scullane hit Early Doucet on a corner route that ended up being the game winning touchdown.

It was a performance that sparked controversy and changed the future of the Bears brand drastically for years to come. And a 70 overall-- er, excuse me-- I mean, an average quarterback changed it all.

NOW we end to tease. More later.

Last edited by KA88NE; 01-27-2011 at 12:01 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »