Home

Jacob Dunn's Road to Glory (NCAA 12)

This is a discussion on Jacob Dunn's Road to Glory (NCAA 12) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 32
Jacob Dunn's Road to Glory (NCAA 12)

Player Name:

Jacob Dunn

High School:

Chiawana Riverhawks (Pasco, Washington)

Position:

Quarterback, Free Safety

Tendency:

Option/Spread; Hard Hitter

Height/Weight:

6'2" 197
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
Banned

Re: Jacob Dunn's Road to Glory (NCAA 12)

I love to write about my dynasties, as my followers will soon find out.

For those who didn't follow my Road to the Show career in MLB 10: The Show, you are more than welcome to check that out in the baseball section of this sub-forum to see if you'll like my style.

Basically, this will read like a book. I envision the character and his life, adding back stories and other things throughout the mode. I totally immerse myself into the writing aspect and hopefully that will bring a lot of followers.

When I first thought of doing a RTG mode, the possibilities are endless. I plan to really get deep with the whole recruiting process, and will even write about Jacob's life at school and develop relationships along the way as well.

I really hope you guys enjoy this. Stay tuned.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:53 AM   #3
Banned

Jacob's Challenge
August 10, 2010

Jacob Dunn
got into his brand new Chevy Silverado truck and turned up the music. He loved this truck, which was a very generous gift from his dad.

He was heading to the river, by himself. He liked to do this from time to time, as it allowed him to escape to a place where he was most at ease.

He had always loved the Columbia River, ever since he was a kid. He would go to the park and navigate his truck to his favorite camping spot. He would set up camp there and spend a night or two there. He would do this with friends as well, but this trip was different. He needed some time to himself.

His senior year of high school was nearly upon him and Jacob knew that this would be the year that defined the next four years of his life. College was right around the corner and he really had to focus.

He was a football player. A quarterback, to be exact, for one of the best teams in the state of Washington. He also played free safety on defense. Well, it was one of the best teams in the state, but a new high school had been built, and Jacob would be going there due to the zoning. He had started as a Junior for his old high school, the Pasco Bulldogs, and the team did well, finishing 8-4. He was named the starter after the team lost three of their first four games, and Jacob quickly righted the ship, winning his first seven games. He wasn't extremely flashy, but he was fast. He didn't have the strongest arm, but he was an effective passer. He even managed to win a playoff game; a 35-33 overtime thriller over unbeaten Walla Walla. On that night, Jacob finished 13-15 passing, with 194 yards and two touchdown passes. More impressively, he carried the ball 21 times for 282 yards and three rushing touchdowns. That was the moment when Jacob knew that he could be a Division 1 college quarterback.

Pasco lost their next game to Southridge High School, 21-17. Jacob played well but made a very costly mistake when he threw a game-ending interception in the fourth quarter. The Bulldogs were driving and getting ready to score, when Jacob was flushed out of the pocket. He scrambled to his right and attempted to throw a pass across his body to his best friend, running back Nick James, who was wide open in the middle of the field. The pass was errant and a bit of a floater. It was easily picked off by a Southridge linebacker.

Game over.

His line on that night: 10-17 passing, 176 yards, TD, INT. 18 carries for 137 yards.

The season was over for Pasco. His high school playing days for them we're over. He would move on to Chiawana, and Jacob feared what this would mean for his upcoming season. Chiawana was a brand new, state-of-the-art high school that took two years to build. He knew the day would come, he just didn't realize it would happen this fast. He was leaving some friends behind, including Nick, his best friend from childhood. He would be playing with most of his old offensive line and receivers, but there would be some new faces as well. It was a transition that he would have to make quickly.

He was now a Riverhawk. He still had to let go of that interception, but it was a burning, consuming memory. His last pass as a Pasco Bulldog, and he felt he let his teammates and school down.

That's why I'm here, thought Jacob, as he was setting up his tent. It's time to put that interception behind me.

He had a tough time doing that, to be sure. He thought about it all of the time. After the game, his teammates and fans were supportive. His dad, who could sometimes be very hard on him, congratulated him on a good season.

"Not the best throw or decision I've ever seen you make, but it was a good season," said his dad.

Yeah, that. There was always that. That little twist of the knife at the end that let him know that deep down, his dad was disappointed in him. It wasn't enough that Jacob was going to graduate with a 3.9 GPA. It wasn't enough that he also excelled in baseball, where he hit .400 for the baseball team and belted five home runs. He pitched, too. Or, how about basketball? Two years as the starting varsity point guard - 15 points and six assists per game.

It just wasn't enough. Jacob loved his dad dearly and looked up to him, but he could never understand why his dad was so hard on him.

He had a choice to make, as numerous colleges were in contact with him. He had to choose between football, baseball, or basketball. The choice on most days was clear to him - he loved football. He was sometimes called a much better prospect in baseball, where he was a rangy center fielder who could fly around the bases and had gap power. He pitched as well, getting clocked at 92-mph on multiple occasions.

Gonzaga and Washington State had already offered him baseball scholarships and he knew that's what his dad wanted. His dad loved baseball above all else and was once a member of the St. Louis Cardinals organization. He never made it past Double-A. He was hoping his son could make it further.

If it wasn't for that, the choice would be easy. Jacob loved baseball too, just not as much as football. The adrenaline he felt on the gridiron was rivaled by nothing else in his life. He knew he'd most likely play baseball in college as well, but it was going to be secondary. His college choice would be about football. Baseball would be a fall back plan for him if football didn't work out.

That was if he could stand up to his dad and make his own decision, regardless of how it affected their relationship. He was promised a paid-for education by his dad, but he wanted to get a full-ride athletic scholarship. Then, the strings were gone. He would do it his way.

Hopefully. If things went right at Chiawana in 2010.

He loved the University of Washington, but they had not shown him much interest yet. Washington was a program that had struggled mightily in the recent past, but they seemed to be on their way back with Steve Sarkisian. Jacob was hoping like hell that he could get their attention during his Senior year. He wanted to be a part of getting the program back to where it used to be.

There were other schools that intrigued him, as well. He was a Husky fan, but he also liked Oregon State, Colorado, and Nebraska. He didn't like Pullman, nor did he care for Eugene. USC was probably out of the question, considering he was a 1-star recruit on both Rivals and Scout. He was realistic that his favorite schools might not take interest in him if he didn't have a monster senior year, and that's exactly what he intended to do.

Jacob finally had set up his camp. His dad was busy on the farm and Jacob convinced him to allow him to get out of work for a couple days. It was a busy time, but Jacob knew he had to leave the interception here. A new season was upon him, and his team would be starting two-a-days in 48 hours.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
Banned

The Pressure Mounts...
August 29, 2010

The Family Farm

"Jake, baseball is where your future should be," said Jake's dad. "It's what you're best at, it's what you're more likely to succeed in."

Jacob continued to work at bailing the hay. He hated talks like this. He could never seem to convince his dad that baseball was always an option, but it was not his love.

"Okay, Jake. Tell me where the football scholarship offers are. You had a good season last year, but that interception was a sign. You have offers to Wazzu and Gonzaga for baseball. Both are pretty decent programs. If you have a great senior season on the diamond, more offers are sure to pour in. You may find yourself getting drafted out of high school, even! Maybe it will be a late round pick, or maybe you find yourself getting picked high after three or four years of college."

He just won't give up, thought Jake. Why can't he just let the year play out and then we'll talk? Why do I need this pressure now?

His dad had worked hard all of his life. Their family farm was a big one, and though it was once a struggle financially, the business was now very good. Jacob's uncles also worked the land.

Jacob's mom had left long ago. When he was 12, she simply left a note and was gone. She didn't forget Jacob, but the marriage was over - there was no chance for reconciliation. She had moved to the Seattle area and began dating some rich Microsoft employee. At first, their contact was constant, with Jacob taking weekend visits to see her. He loved it, as he'd go to Seahawks' games with Joe, his mom's boyfriend. In the spring and summer, they'd go to Safeco Field and watch the Mariners.

As the time passed, though, the contact became less frequent. The visits became less. It always seemed like his mom was busy with work and when she wasn't, her and Joe were going on long vacations all over the globe. They got married two years ago. They still talked on the phone, or on Facebook, but the relationship had turned into a distant one.

It really bothered Jacob.

"So yeah Jake, what do you say? No baseball, probably no athletic future beyond college. Baseball should be the focus. Maybe you can play football in college, maybe not. But you don't want to end up back here on this farm. You're too smart and much too talented to end up back here with me," continued his dad.

Jacob had enough.

"Dad, can you just stop? I love both sports. I don't know at this point. I have time to make a decision. School starts tomorrow. My first game is in five days. Can I just focus on football for right now?"

His dad said nothing.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
Banned

Friday Night Lights (almost...)
Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Dunn Home

It was a tradition. The night before the first game of the season, Jacob would invite his best friend, Nick, over for dinner. They'd go swimming in the family pool, order some pizza, and then cap the night off by watching football movies. They would have to start early in order to get some good rest before tomorrow, but it was a tradition that just couldn't be broken.

At around 6:30 PM, the pizza was gone.

"Remember the Titans, Friday Night Lights, Rudy, VARSITY BLUES," said Jacob. Nick was messing around with his iPhone.

"Dude, come on. Put the phone away. She'll be there when we're done watching a movie," said an annoyed Jacob.

"Ashley..." said Nick. "She's clingy, Jake. I like her, though. Alright man, the phone is off. But why do you even need to ask?"

"Ask what? I told you to put the phone away," replied Jacob.

"No dude," said Nick. "About the movie. What movie have we watched for the past two years? Varsity Blues."

With that, Jacob grabbed the Varsity Blues DVD and sat down.

Half way through the movie, Nick had to take a leak.

"Don't start the movie yet," said Nick, who had returned. "So, did you put it behind you, Jake?"

"Put what behind me?" asked Jacob.

"That horrible pick you threw in last year's playoff game against Southridge," answered Nick, with a laugh. "You went to the river for a couple of days."

"How did you..."

"Know? Easy, man. I saw your truck parked over there. I didn't stop, but I knew it's what you were doing. I know you, dude. When you're trying to push through something, that's where you go. Hopefully you put that behind you. It's over. Move on. No one even cares anymore."

Jacob looked at Nick and laughed.

"Horrible pick? Dude, if you could have ran for more than 30 yards on 11 carries, that pick wouldn't have mattered," poked Jacob.

"Yeah, I know. But I'm not the star, either. Your dad still giving you trouble?" asked Nick.

"When isn't he," asked Jacob, rather rhetorically. "Baseball. That's all he wants. He's like you, bringing up that interception..."

"Baseball is your future bro, you're a beast at it," said Nick.

"You too? I'm hitting play. You're not much help," said Jacob.

He wasn't bothered, though. To him, other people's opinions didn't matter. Well, they did, but his love for football was winning out. He wanted people to understand and support that, but if they didn't, he no longer cared.

"It's going to be weird not playing together tomorrow," said Nick. "You guys have Moses Lake, we have Prosser. We're probably going to get killed. Guess who's number one on the depth chart at quarterback?"

"Probably Max Johnson," replied Jacob.

"He lost three out of four games last year!" said Nick. "You beat him out and took us to the promised land. Well, almost, until you pulled a Brett Favre on us. But hey, the answer is me. Coach Reed has some crazy ideas."

"Nice," said Jacob. "Makes sense. But what about running back? You have a great arm and no one is as fast as you in the whole conference. That's interesting. You loving it?"

"We'll see. Man, it's a lot of pressure, but we play you guys in week seven. That's going to be crazy. You better not pick me off when you're playing safety," threatened Nick.

"Nah. Get in the open field so I can snap you in half. That sounds much better."

With that, Nick grabbed the remote and hit play.

After the movie, the two talked for another two hours. Nick mainly asked Jacob about Brooklyn, a girl that he had liked since the seventh grade. She was a cheerleader, so the cliche was pretty apparent. Nick poked fun at Jake, saying how he'd shred his knee and she'd leave him for the real starting quarterback - himself. A little too much Varsity Blues on the mind, it would seem.

The two finally called it a night at 11:30 PM.

Jacob tried to fall asleep, but he knew it was going to be a long night. Tomorrow was the first game of the season, against Moses Lake, a team that had given Jacob trouble the year before. They won, but Moses Lake had a nasty defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #6
Banned

Chiawana Riverhawks
Season Preview

By Tri-City Herald Sports Staff
Friday, September 3, 2010

The brand-spankin' new Chiawana Riverhawks will play their first game in their school's history tonight against the Moses Lake Chiefs at Edgar Brown Stadium in Pasco.

Gates open at 6:30 PM. Kickoff is slated for 7 PM.

The Riverhawks 2010 season might be a rough one. The school is in it's first year of existence, and despite bringing a lot of experienced kids over from Pasco High School, there is something to be said for the lack of experience as well.

One Pasco resident said that both schools will struggle due to the talent depletion that has came with opening the new school.

Chiawana Head Coach Eric Moore says while that might be true, there is still a lot of talent on both teams. Moore was the Offensive Coordinator at Pasco last year, and he will bring six years of coaching experience with him.

"We have four of our starting five offensive linemen from last year's team at Pasco," said Moore. "That's huge. We also have four returning starters [from Pasco] on defense."

Then Moore smiles.

"We also have a pretty good quarterback. Jacob Dunn, a 6'2", 200 pound kid who is probably one of the best dual-threat QB's in the state. I think we're going to be fine."

Dunn threw for 1,145 yards last season for Pasco. He had eight touchdown passes against only three interceptions. He rushed for 885 yards in nine games and scored seven touchdowns on the ground.

"Hopefully, he'll be more of a passer this year," adds Moore. "He has a cannon arm. His accuracy is good. Our offensive line is experienced, and we have some big wide receivers."

Asked on what he thinks his role will be, Dunn holds nothing back.

"I'm a senior, so I am taking ownership of this team," said Dunn. "It can't be any other way for me. If coach wants me to pass, I can do that. If a play breaks down, I can pick some yards up on the ground. We're running a spread and it's a good offense for me."

Dunn is considered a better baseball prospect at the collegiate level, but says he is leaning toward football as his sport of choice.

The Riverhawks' roster consists of 15 seniors, 20 juniors, 22 sophomores, and 10 freshman.

"That's a lot of kids," said Moore. "It's also a lot of youth. We need our seniors to step up."

Of the 15 seniors, only six are considered starters at this point. Dunn will start at both quarterback and free safety. Jack Phillips, B.J. Lopez and Mark Atkins, all starting offensive linemen, will also start on the defensive line. Joe Freeman, a 6'4" wide receiver will start, as will halfback Marcus Henry.

The rest of the starters are underclassmen.

2010 Schedule:

Sept. 3 - vs. Moses Lake
Sept. 10 - at Kennewick
Sept. 17 - vs. Kamiakin*
Sept. 24 - at Eisenhower
Oct. 1 - vs. Walla Walla
Oct. 8 - at Wenatchee
Oct. 15 - vs. Pasco**
Oct. 22 - at Hanford

*Homecoming
**Senior Night

Key Games:

vs. Kamiakin (10-2 last season)
vs. Walla Walla (8-5 last season)
vs. Pasco (9-4 last season)

Old 07-30-2011, 04:16 AM   #7
Banned

Almost Game Time!
September 3, 2010

Chiawana High School

The bell for fourth period rang. It was 2:45 PM and Jacob Dunn was nervous. He was always like this on game day, but today, the nervousness was eating him up pretty good. He got up from his desk and headed for the door.

"Hi Jake," said Brooklyn, who was standing outside of the classroom.

Jacob was at a loss for words.

"Hi, Brooke. Brooklyn," he muttered nervously.

"You know Jake, for the starting quarterback, for as popular as you are, you sure are weird around girls. I mean, not weird, but different. I like it. You're going to do awesome tonight!"

Jacob smiled. She was right, sort of. He was weird around her. He had liked for a long time, but he could never work up the courage to tell her. He could be the smooth operator around other girls - girls that he perhaps didn't take seriously. He had been on dates before, but he wasn't the Big Man on Campus when it came to women. But around her, he always froze.

"Thanks, I'm going to do my best. Hey, after the game..."

He was cut off.

"Jake, man, it's almost game time!" said Mark Atkins, the team's starting left tackle. "We're going to run all over them tonight!"

"Yeah man, I'll catch up with you in a couple of hours," replied Jacob, rather irritably.

"After the game, Jake?" asked Brooklyn.

"Oh, it's nothing. I need to get going, but I'll see you at the game, right? asked Jake.

"Um..." Brooklyn laughed. "Well Jake, if you ever get a chance, I'll be on the sidelines cheering for you. I'm a cheerleader, remember?"

Jacob's semi-smile turned serious. What a damn idiot.

"Sorry, yeah. Of course. I just have a cloudy mind right now," replied Jacob.

"See ya, Jake." Brooklyn walked away, but not before giving him the most beautiful smile he'd ever seen.

Another chance blown, thought Jacob. It never fails. One day, I'll man up and ask her out.

Jacob arrived at the high school at roughly 4:15. The Varsity players weren't required to show up until 5:00, but he was always early. He wondered around the locker room as the JV team was getting ready. A goofy looking kid, probably about 5'6" and 130 pounds, was sitting at his locker.

Guess it's his locker until 6:15.

One the team was gone, Jacob went into the weight room. He got on the exercise bike and began to warm up. He put his head phones on and began peddling.

Summer practice was a success. He had known a lot of the guys anyway, but he had also meet a lot of new guys. Two-a-days were no fun, but Jacob pushed through. He liked the team and really thought that there was more talent than he had originally thought. Jackson Browne, a 6'4" sophomore, was going to be his best friend on the field. He weighed around 240 pounds and played tight end. Jacob loved throwing the ball to the tight end because he felt opposing defenses always overlooked them. If he was scrambling around, he always felt like the tight end was his security blanket.

This kid was huge. Jacob figured by the time he was a senior, he would probably be 6'6" or so and weigh 255 pounds or so. He also played defensive end. He was fast. He had great hands. He could block. On defense, he couldn't be blocked.

Marcus Henry would end up being one of the best running backs in the conference. He could fly. He ran a 4.41 in the forty during summer practice. He played at Pasco last year but was buried on the depth chart. He did end up having a 200-yard rushing game while the starter was hurt. He was being recruited by Idaho and a few other smaller schools, but Jacob thought that list would grow by season's end. He was one of Jacob's best friends on the team.

Jacob ran a 4.52 during summer practice. He even had a Rivals and Scout profile page. He was given a 1-star rating. No big schools were actively recruiting Jacob, but he had received letters of interest from Idaho State, Montana and Eastern Washington.

This season has to be huge for me, thought Jacob. I need to throw for 2,000+ yards and rush for at least 1,000. I'm more of a passer now and it's time to prove it.

He was working up a good sweat. Most of the other players were rolling in and getting situated, despite the JV player's stuff everywhere. Most of the guys just cleaned out the lockers for the younger kids. The music started. It was loud. Jacob was getting pumped.

He had the option to watch tape before the game, but he chose not to. He climbed off of the exercise bike and went to Coach Moore's office. He had a meeting scheduled with him at 4:45 to discuss some offensive strategy. The team had an offensive coordinator, but everyone knew that calling the plays was all Moore. He had developed a package during the spring and summer that really highlighted Jacob's strengths.

"Come in, Jake," said Moore.

Jacob had a seat.

"First of all, you're the best player in this conference. I really believe that. I know the Herald didn't have you on any of their preseason all-conference teams, but they're wrong. You're fast, you have a great arm, and this team is yours. Now, do you want to watch some tape? Moses Lake runs a pretty complex defensive scheme..."

"Nah, coach," replied Jacob. "I mean, if you don't mind, I'd rather not. We watched tape all week. I'm the type that doesn't need to watch tape. I don't want to know what their defense is all about. I play better when I'm unprepared. It sounds weird, but trust me."

"Okay," replied Moore. "We have good receivers, Jake. We have a great running back. Jackson might end up being a Division 1 tight end. We have weapons. Use them. Your legs are a great asset, but get your teammates involved. Our offensive line has great size and will give you some time. Moses Lake has a very good defensive line, so just be aware of that. You're going to have a big night."

With that, Coach Moore offered to say a prayer with Jacob. The kid kindly accepted and bowed his head.

Game time was less than two hours away, but Jacob was ready to go now.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:32 AM   #8
Banned

Chiawana crushes Moses Lake 37-14 in Season Opener
Riverhawks get first win in school history behind Dunn

By Tri-City Herald Sports Staff
Pasco (WA)

The Chiawana Riverhawks won their first game in school history last night with a dominating 37-14 win over visiting Moses Lake.

Moses Lake hung tough until the second quarter, when they held a 14-7 lead with 10:31 remaining in the first half. From that point forward, though, the Riverhawks' domination began.

Jacob Dunn was the star on this night. The 6'2" 199-pound Senior Quarterback lived up to his billing as possibly one of the state's best dual-threat players - he completed 12-15 passes for 184 yards and 2 touchdowns. He also had 24 carries and amassed 143 yards on the ground. He scored 2 rushing touchdowns and averaged 5.9 yards per carry. He also had 3 tackles on defense, one of them coming from behind the line of scrimmage.

Perhaps most importantly, he played mistake-free football and did not turn the ball over. That is sometimes hard to do for a team that runs a lot of option formations.

"He was the best player on the field tonight, and possibly the whole conference," said Head Coach Eric Moore, after the game. "Find me another stat line like that. He was flawless. Absolutely flawless. We need to cut down on the amount of hits he is taking, though. He had 24 carries and to me, that's too much. He loves to tuck it and run, but we're trying to keep him healthy, so some adjustments might be made."

Moses Lake was predicted in the preseason to have one of the best team defenses in the conference, but on this night, Dunn and the Riverhawks put that opinion in doubt. The Chiefs had no answer for Dunn, nor did they have an answer for Riverhawks' running back Marcus Henry, who carried the ball 12 times for 122 yards and had a rushing touchdown.

Jackson Browne, a Sophomore Tight End, had six catches for 102 yards and hauled in both of Dunn's touchdown passes. He also had six tackles and a sack.

Joe Freeman had 4 receptions for 55 yards.

"It was our night," said Dunn. "We executed our game plan to perfection. We knew Moses Lake had a big defensive line and fast linebackers, but they have an inexperienced secondary. I just played my game. I feel like I can better, though."

Dunn will definitely be in the running for the Columbia Basin's Player of the Week.

In Week 2, the Riverhawks will take a short bus ride to Kennewick where they will take on the Lions (0-1). Kennewick lost in a shoot out to Pasco, 44-35.

"It might be more of the same, but hopefully our defense steps up," said Moore.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »