Home

How the West Was Won: A Denver Broncos Franchise (M10)

This is a discussion on How the West Was Won: A Denver Broncos Franchise (M10) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
How the West Was Won: A Denver Broncos Franchise (M10)

How the West Was Won: A Denver Broncos Franchise

An exercise in "what if?" Going back to the year 2009, what if Josh McDaniels hadn't had a hand in football operations? What if a mysterious outsider stepped in to handle the front office?

Style
Game: Madden 10
Mode: All-Pro with custom sliders (cpu vs. cpu Spectator mode up to week 8 of 1st season)
Focus: GM/draft/FA

FAQ

Why Madden 10?

Because that's what I have, much as it pains me not to be able to unleash the Tebow. (I also don't have a flash drive at the moment.) Consider this a Terra Nova experiment in time traveling an underwhelming 2 years.

Why Spectator mode?

I suck at actually playing Madden. I figured I'd focus on being GM, but after a few weeks of spectating, it got boring. So I'm going to actually play from there on.

Rules

Rules are somewhat modeled after Third & Long: A St. Louis Rams Franchise by Rexis. I'm trying not to win every superbowl after like 3 years.

Preseason Player Transactions

Players signed in the preseason must be signed to a 1 year contract. No upgrades to starters (includes 2nd WR and CB).

Offseason Player Transactions

Only 3 players whose contracts have expired can be resigned before the free agency signing period.

During the free agency signing period, only one offer can be made per day.

A rebuilding year can be declared once a decade after a season with less than 4 wins. The head coach must be fired. In a rebuilding year, a second offer can be made each day, but the player must have a 75 OVR or lower rating.

Trade Rules

A maximum of 2 trades per year are allowed, including trades of draft picks. Draft pick trades must be reasonable.

Draft Rules

For a top 10 pick, I must select a player within 3 spots of the best player available. For other 1st round picks, I must select within 8 spots. For all other picks, I must select within 15 spots, without selecting a player from the next round unless they are in the top 3 of that rounds best projected players.

(This is where I expect to balance out some of my lite rules elsewhere. This should make it harder to get good players in years where I have a good record.)

Last edited by OrangeRush; 10-16-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: changed style
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Rookie

Bizzare Circumstances lead to New GM in Denver

Denver, CO (AP) -- It was all a joke, until it suddenly got serious. After a series of increasingly disappointing years following a 2005 AFC Championship loss, the Denver Broncos front office arranged a promotional event to appease fans who, as often is the case, felt they could do better than the professionals.

Hundreds of avid fans gathered in the Denver Events Center to participate in a marathon competition involving the most recent iteration of the popular Madden line of sports video games. The fan who won the most Superbowls in the game's "Franchise mode," a simulation of the managerial side of pro football, would be named honorary GM for the year, receiving a season's worth of luxury box tickets to the Bronco's home games. For your average fan, it was a considerable prize. But as it turned out, the prize was much greater.

Energy drinks containing dangerous amounts of caffeine, taurine, and B vitamins circulated freely, along with grease-soaked bags of fast food, as hundreds of fans decked out in the jerseys of their favorite Broncos players labored over their game controllers. Early in the day, a small number of fans with Raiders jerseys were booed and heckled off the floor. Some returned minutes later with red faces, their jerseys no longer in evidence. As the hours passed, it was a war of attrition as some fans grew bored and straggled out of the staging area for the contest, while others who left complained of hand cramps. For early departures, Broncos cheerleaders, a few players, and the Broncos mascot were on hand to sign autographs.

Just hours into the event, the first fan to win a Superbowl stood and gave a mile high salute. The 14-year-old from Peublo, CO, received a healthy round of applause, although there was a bit of jealous rancor.

"It was the fourth year of my franchise," the fan said. "I was pretty excited. I thought I had a good chance at the prize."

As with many other fans who achieved early Superbowls, however, he had trouble keeping his team together amid salary cap problems. As the hours went by, however, one contestant began to stand out.

Although it took Max Hazlett four seasons to reach the playoffs, and another four to win a Superbowl, his Madden team became a dynasty, making nine playoff appearances in ten years and winning four Superbowls. When the clock ran down on the marathon competition, Hazlett's record stood apart from the competition by almost an order of magnitude.

As the dozens of fans who toughed out the competition streamed out the doors of the Denver Events Center with their bags full of nifty Broncos swag, Hazlett was instructed by a team official to remain behind for a face to face with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen.

"It was incredible," Hazlett said. "I never would have thought I'd be meeting Pat Bowlen face to face. I mean, he's a busy man. I'm just a fan. This is all surreal."

Hazlett was brought to a limousine, where Bowlen waited. The two chatted en route to a restaurant, where Bowlen made Hazlett a proposition. Hazlett was offered an advisory position to the General Manager of the Broncos.

Initial speculation was that the position was nominal, a bone thrown to fans. But a Denver Broncos official assured us that the position will have powers. According to our source, Broncos GM Xanders will handle salary cap issues, while Hazlett will be involved with draft picks, free agent acquisitions, and other personnel transactions.

But did Hazlett receive the season luxury box tickets?

"Oh yeah," said Hazlett. "I gave them to my mom. I'll be busy in the coaches' box on game days."
Old 10-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Rookie

2009 Season Preview

Season Preview

Denver (AP)
-- A late season collapse in the 2008 season, culminating in a loss to the San Diego Chargers that knocked the Denver Broncos out of playoff contention, resulted in an 8-8 record and the sacking of previously sacrosanct coach Mike Shanahan. The hiring of Josh McDaniels as the new head coach was met with mixed reviews. A draft questioned by many experts did not help matters, as many felt that several early round picks were reaches at best. And then there was the Cutler fiasco. With a questionable roster and a second place schedule, many feel that the Broncos would be lucky to repeat their 8-8 finish from last year.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Rookie

2009 Broncos Roster

The Denver Broncos have acquired ROLB Morlon Greenwood, an 8th year player formerly of the Miami Dolphins and Houston Texans.

Denver Broncos Depth Chart - 2009
Regular Offense

STARTER2ND3RD4TH
WRBrandon MarshalEddie RoyalJabar GaffneyBrandon Stokely
TEDaniel GrahamTony ShefflerRichard Quinn (R)
LTRyan CladyTyler Polumbus

LGBen HamiltonPat Murray

CCasey WeigmannKory Lichtensteiger

RGChris KuperSeth Olson (R)

RTRyan HarrisBrandon Gorin

QBKyle OrtonChris SimmsTom Brandstater (R)
FBPeyton Hillis

HBKnowshon Moreno (R)Correll BuckhalterRyan TorrainLamont Jordan
Base 3-3-5 Defense

STARTER2ND3RD4TH
LDEDarrell ReidTim Crowder

NTRonald FieldsMarcus ThomasMatthias Askew
RDEKenny PetersonNic Clemons

LOLBRobert Ayers (R)Elvis DumervilJarvis Moss
MLBAdra DavisBoss BaileyNick GreisenSpencer Larsen
ROLBD.J. WilliamsMorlon Greenwood

CBChamp BaileyAdre' GoodmanAlphonso SmithJosh Bell
SSBrian DawkinsVernon Fox

FSRenaldo HillDarcel McBath (R)

Special Teams

STARTER2ND3RD4TH
KMatt Prater

PBrett Kern

Old 10-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Rookie

Preseason 2009 Week 1

I'll be simming through the preseason.

Preseason Week 1

Patriots 24, Eagles 21

Redskins 6, Ravens 20

Cardinals 9, Steelers 24

Cowboys 25, Raiders 15

Rams 19, Jets 19

Vikings 25, Colts 38

Bengals 24, Saints 34

Broncos 13, 49ers 27

Falcons 46, Lions 32

Bears 19, Bills 20

Browns 24, Packer 43

Buccaneers 28, Titans 23

Texans 7, Chiefs 23

Seahawks 3, Chargers 24

Jaguars 17, Dolphins 24

Panthers 16, Giants 21
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
Rookie

Preseason 2009 Week 2

Preseason Week 2

Bengals 12
Patriots 31

Eagles 25
Colts 24

Titans 35
Cowboys 38

Falcons 32
Rams 25

Chiefs 24
Vikings 31

Lions 20
Browns 33

Panthers 34
Dolphins 30

Steelers 17
Redskins 13

Buccaneers 20
Jaguars 26

Saints 31
Texans 34

Bills 20
Packer 12

Giants 29
Bears 17

Raiders 35
49ers 21

Chargers 12
Cardinals 28

Broncos 31
Seahawks 44

Jets 24
Ravens 38
Old 10-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Rookie

Preseason 2009 Week 3

Preseason Week 3

Jaguars 16, Eagles 29

Rams 17, Bengals 27

Dolphins 28, Buccaneers 19

Patriots 20, Redskins 20

Packers 23, Cardinals 40

Colts 15, Lions 27

Saints 21, Raiders 35

Bills 13, Steelers 33

Titans 30, Browns 24

49ers 19, Cowboys 14

Chargers 27, Falcons 24

Ravens 26, Panthers 7

Jets 17, Giants 34

Seahawks 20, Chiefs 35

Bears 13, Broncos 6

Vikings 27, Texans 17
Old 10-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
Rookie

Unhappy Reunion

Denver (AP)
-- Denver Bronco fans gathered at Invesco Field to boo Chicago quarterback Jay Cutler as the Bears visited Denver for a preseason matchup against the Broncos. As anyone within 500 miles of Denver knows, Cutler was traded from the Broncos to the Bears amid controversy. Broncos QB Kyle Orton, a throw in of the Cutler trade, got his share of boos, too, as he played to the tune of a 50 QB rating. Meanwhile, Cutler got the last laugh, scoring on a 16 yard touchdown pass that by itself would be enough to defeat Denver's two field goals scored for the game. The final score: Chicago 13, Denver 6.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »