Home

You gotta have Hope! - Minnesota Vikings Franchise (Madden 12)

This is a discussion on You gotta have Hope! - Minnesota Vikings Franchise (Madden 12) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: You gotta have Hope! - Minnesota Vikings Franchise (Madden 12)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Free Agency & 2012 NFL Draft

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The offseason began with an implosion in Oakland. After a disappointing 5-11 season, coach Hue Jackson was fired and there were reports of a "player uprising" after their week 17 game. After the dust settled, quarterback Carson Palmer, who had been traded for only before the season, had been cut, and several players outright refused to negotiate with the management.

As a result, several Raiders hit free agency, and the Vikings were quick to sign two of them, kicker Sebastian Janikowski and fullback Marcel Reese. The Janikowski signing made some sense after some reports that veteran kicker Ryan Longwell has suffered a non-sports related leg injury that forced him to undergo surgery in the offseason, but the Reese signing came unexpected with lead blocker Jed Collins being the only offensive player on the Vikings to go to the Pro Bowl.

"Marcel is an outstanding talent and a matchup nightmare." Coach Frazier told reporters after the deal was made. "I have already spoken to Jed and I explained our reasons to him, he has done a lot for this team last year and we fully support him in his search for a new team now, but when a talent like Marcel comes around in free agency that fit our schemes so perfectly, we had to pull the trigger." Reese signed a 4 year contract that made him the highest paid fullback in the NFL, but both sides refused to discuss the exact numbers.

-The 2011 Draft began with several bold moves. The Denver Broncos traded with the Tennessee Titans for the #1 pick to pick up highly touted quarterback Cole Prater out of Michigan, so it is safe to say that the days of the Tebow experiment in Denver are numbered. The next big deal didn't take long, as the Minnesota Vikings traded up 13 spots with the Oakland Raiders, to make the switch, the Vikings traded away veteran safety Antoine Winfield and running back Jed Collins as well as their second round pick, the Raiders in return gave up their third rounder. Winfield struggled at CB in the first two games, but really florished after he had been moved to safety, playing a season that might've gotten him an All-Pro nod had he not played in a patchwork secondary with outmatched corners.

The Vikings then went on to use the pick on CB Jackson Bell out of Iowa, who had a dominant season and has been compared to last years top CB Patrick Peterson.

With the Raiders third round pick, the Vikings drafted safety Tiger Elliot out of Penn State, to make up for the loss of Winfield.

Minnesota made one more trade, trading down in the third round with the Houston Texans to pick up another mid-round pick for the 2013 draft.

The Vikings other picks in the draft:

Jake Morgan - T, Florida
Raheem Norton - WR, Cal-Sacramento
Nicholas Sampson - G, Utah
Dea'jon Augustus - OLB, Rhode Island
Brandon Turner - C, Lane
Ego Gilbert - HB, Ball State

Overall, the draft made it obvious that the Vikings consider themselves in full rebuilding mode, with no less than three players that may be asked to start on day one on defense. As expected, there were several picks devoted to the offensive line that has struggled massively at times last year, as well as two offensive skill players with Norton and Gilbert expected to replace Greg Camarillo and Lorenzo Booker who have left the team in the offseason.

Giving up their second round pick took them out of the running for some of the better prospects at left tackle, so the move was met with some criticism, but the Vikings seem to think the chance to get a blue-chip player for their secondary is worth the risk, as well as giving the Vikings some more picks next year to get more young talent on the team.

Christian Ponder as expected re-entered the draft, being drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the second round and is expected to start on day one for them after Chad Henne was not resigned in the offseason.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #50
MVP

FaM0us Skins's Arena

OVR: 10

Congrats to Lions for having a great season and winning the championship! I hope your draft picks are good
Old 12-22-2011, 07:10 AM   #51
MVP

My LB and WR didn't pan out quite as well as I expected, but Bell and Elliot are beasts so my secondary should be better next season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #52
MVP

Preseason

Vikings News

-The Vikings preseason began with an emotional moment, as running back Adrian Peterson was formally retired from the team in a ceremony before the first game of the 2012 season. Peterson, who had to use crutches to get on the field, thanked the Vikings fans for all they have done for him in the past years and was moved to tears by a crowd the gave him standing ovations for the better part of 10 minutes.

Team officials told Peterson that there would always be a place for him on the Vikings, telling him to take his time to get back on his feet after the disastrous injury he suffered in a car crash a year ago and offering him a position as an assistant coach whenever he felt up to it.

-With both the offensive and defensive coordinators changing, there seem to be some changes coming to Minnesota this season, and Quarterback Hope Turner seems to be in the middle of it.

"She's amazing." New offensive coordinater Geoff Eddington told reporters before the start of the preseason. "I mean, when I chose to become a professional football coach, never did I imagine that my wife might get jealous at me spending more time with a woman than her." He laughed. "But her work ethic is incredible. She's the first in the strength room in the morning, and she's been absorbing game film at a rate that I've never seen on a young player. So when you see our new offense this year, I can honestly tell you this isn't my offense, this is our offense. We have watched and analyzed every snap Hope has played for this team, we have kept what worked and changed what didn't."

When asked if there was something about his new quarterback that surprised Eddington, he was quick to point out one thing. "The swearing, definitely. I mean, you read about her, going to Columbia, graduating early from an Ivy League school, there's a certain expectation in your head... and then you show up for you first training and you see her shouting stuff at a receiver almost a foot taller dirty enough to make you blush... but I guess that's just how she is. She lives football with every fiber of her being, that much is sure."

Receiver Percy Harvin also spoke about her choice of words to a reporter and laughed. "Yeah, at first, it takes some getting used to it. I mean I guess it's true what they say, 'Hell hath no fury like a quarterback angry because you dropped a pass'. I mean, when she gets angry at you, there's always a reason, and if you make a mistake, you can be sure she'll make you know you made it."

-The adjustments on the defensive side seem to be more subtle, with the base system staying the same and the Vikings still in a 4-3 base defense with a predominant man coverage approach which does seem to play well with the strengths of rookie Jackson Bell, who has immediately won over the starting job in camp. Behind Bell, the situation remains less clear-cut, with both veteran Fabian Washington and third-year player Chris Cook taking snaps opposite Bell in the base defense.

-The Vikings haven't been spared from injuries this season, with linebacker E.J. Henderson (hip) and defensive backs Cedric Griffin (hand) (who also moved to safety for this season) and Marcus Sherels (arm) all expected to miss significant playing time in the first part of the season. Sophomore Mark Herzlich, who backed up Henderson late last season after the team got thin at the position, was resigned and is expected to substitute for Henderson, while rookie halfback Ego Gilbert has taken over returning duties for Sherels.

Other rookies who seem to have locked up starting jobs include center Nicholas Sampson and right tackle Jake Morgan as well as linebacker Dea'jon Augustus and safety Tiger Elliott on the defensive side.

Around the League

-There have been massive changes on other teams as well, with several teams starting into the season with a new signal-caller, among them the Miami Dolphins, who have become the second team to draft Christian Ponder to replace Chad Henne. This time, there were no irregularities and Ponder signed a 5 year deal with his new team. First overall pick Cole Prater has taken over the starting job for the Denver Broncos from Tim Tebow, Carson Palmer is now playing for the Washington Redskins, and the Titans have handed the reigns to sophomore Jake Locker.

-For several players, the season is over before it has really begun as they have been placed on IR, among them Steelers SS Troy Polamalu (compound fracture), Redskins HB Roy Helu (torn tricep) and Jaguars LB Clint Session (PCL tear)
Old 12-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #53
MVP

2012 Season

DEPTH CHART

Minnesota Vikings Depth Chart - 2012
Regular Offense
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
WRP. HarvinM. JenkinsE. ArceneauxR. Norton
TEK. RudolphV. Shiancoe
LTC. JohnsonB. Turner
LGS. HutchinsonD. Dinwiddie
CN. SampsonJ. Sullivan
RGC. DeGeareD. Love
RTJ. MorganP. Loadholt
QBH. TurnerJ. Webb
FBM. Reece
HBN. DevineT. GerhartE. Gilbert
Base 4-3 Defense
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
LDEV. So'otoJ. Banks
LDTK. WilliamsC. Ballard
RDTB. RobisonR. Ayodele
RDEJ. AllenE. Griffen
WLBD. AugustusD. Moch
MLBE. HendersonM. Herzlich
SLBC. GreenwayB. Hayes
CBJ. BellF. WashingonC. CookC. Vaughn
SSC. GriffinH. Abdullah
FST. ElliottB. Burton
Special Teams
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
KS. Janikowski
PC. Kluwe
PRE. Gilbert
KRE. Gilbert

SCHEDULE

Minnesota Vikings 2012 Schedule
DATEOPPONENTRESULT
Sep 9at Jacksonville Jaguars
Sep 16vs Indianapolis Colts
Sep 23vs Houston Texans
Sep 30at Chicago Bears
Oct 7vs Seattle Seahawks
Oct 14vs Detroit Lions
Oct 21at New York Giants
Oct 28at St. Louis Rams
Nov 11vs Green Bay Packers
Nov 18at San Francisco 49ers
Nov 25vs Chicago Bears
Dec 2vs Carolina Panthers
Dec 10at Detroit Lions
Dec 16vs Green Bay Packers
Dec 23at Tennessee Titans
Dec 30vs Arizona Cardinals

Last edited by TheDelta; 12-22-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #54
MVP

Week 1: at Jacksonville

Vikings News

-After a mixed preseason that the Vikings finished 2-2, with limited playing time for starting quarterback Hope Turner and many other starters, there hasn't been much indication yet of how this team might look this year. The offensive playbook as been completely revamped, and the defense is looking even more flexible concerning their use of different player packages, the secondary definitely looks stronger with cornerback Jackson Bell completely shutting down his assigned receiver in the snaps he played in preseason, and safety Tiger Elliott looking like a strong addition in coverage as well as in the run defense.

When asked what she had done in the offseason to improve, Hope Turner had a lot to tell. "Well, most of all, of course, there were my mechanics and watching film. I mean you can practice all you want, in the end, you'll get nowhere if you don't understand the game film because you can never see everything when under center... especially when you're as short as I am. Mechanically, I worked a lot on my release... I guess there's not a QB in this league that needs a high release as much as I do. I went back to do some track & field stuff in the summer, too, I never believed before how much this would help me improve my balance and footwork and being able to run away from all those pesky pass rushers doesn't hurt, either."

-In light of their recent injuries to Marcus Sherels and E.J. Henderson, the Vikings have brought back cornerback Cassius Vaughn who was not resigned in the offseason but is expected to play in some dime packages, as well as linebacker Jovan Belcher, who was released by Kansas City during preseason and will challenge sophomore Mark Herzlich for the MLB spot as long as Henderson is out injured.

-Two new players who didn't look they had a lot of trouble adjusting to their new offenses are Sebastian Janikowski and Marcel Reese. Both former Raiders have of course taken over the starting spots at their positions, with Reese being used in a lot of short-yardage and third down situations as well.

-Another new face as a starter is defensive end Vic So'oto, who has been named the starter after Brian Robison has been moved to the inside of the line to make use if So'otos speed as an edge rusher opposite Jared Allen.

Around the League

-The Jacksonville Jaguars have finally given the reigns to sophomore Blaine Gabbert, who sat most of last year behind David Garrard. Gabbert has a lot of new weapons to work with, with the Jaguars drafting wide receivers Vidal Holliday and Uche Joseph in the 1st and 3rd round as well as signing the former Cardinal free agent Early Doucet, it looks as if veteran Mike Sims-Walker has to take a place on the bench for the time being.

The Jaguards are missing OLB Clint Session for this matchup as well as starting guard Uche Nwaneri, but otherwise start in the season at full strength.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #55
MVP

Game Recap

Minnesota Vikings at Jacksonville Jaguars
Sep 9, 20121ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Minnesota Vikings (1-0)0772135
Jacksonville Jaguars (0-1)370717
Team Stats Comparison
MINJAC
Total Offense510294
Rushing Yards272207
Passing Yards23887
First Downs1810
Punt Return Yards106
Kick Return Yards1000
Total Yards620300
Turnovers21
3rd Down Converstion4-75-11
4th Down Conversion0-00-1
2-Point Conversion0-00-0
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals1/0-21/1-2
Penalties2-162-15
Posession Time22:0621:54
Scoring Summary
FIRST QUARTER SCORINGMINJAC
0:30(JAC) J. Scobee, 29 Yd FG03
SECOND QUARTER SCORINGMINJAC
2:50(MIN) K. Rudolph 46 Yd pass from H. Turner (S. Janikowski kick)73
1:59(JAC) M. Jones-Drew, 79 Yd run (J. Scobee kick)710
THIRD QUARTER SCORINGMINJAC
5:11(MIN) N. Devine, 94 Yd run (S. Janikowski kick)1410
FOURTH QUARTER SCORINGMINJAC
9:49(JAC) B. Gabbert, 4 Yd run (J. Scobee kick)1417
6:57(MIN) E. Arceneaux 52 Yd pass from H. Turner (S. Janikowski kick)2117
1:08(MIN) P. Harvin 3 Yd pass from H. Turner (S. Janikowski kick)2817
0:08(MIN) T. Gerhart, 21 Yd run (S. Janikowski kick)3517
Minnesota Vikings
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
H. Turner14/1723832
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
N. Devine1617510.91
T. Gerhart8678.31
M. Reece7212.90
H. Turner393.00
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
P. Harvin911212.41
K. Rudolph36722.31
E. Arceneaux15252.01
N. Devine177.00
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
S. Janikowski0/05/550
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
C. Kluwe28040.00
KICK RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
E. Gilbert410025.00
PUNT RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
E. Gilbert2105.00
Jacksonville Jaguars
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
B. Gabbert8/1710601
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
M. Jones-Drew221747.91
B. Gabbert33010.01
R. Jennings284.00
U. Joseph1-5-5.00
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
M. Lewis33210.60
U. Joseph25025.00
V. Holliday177.00
E. Doucet133.00
E. Mason11515.00
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
J. Scobee1/12/2530
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
A. Podlesh315250.61
PUNT RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
U. Joseph166.00

The Vikings and Hope Turner begin the 2012 season with a statement win on the road. This team is young and hungry, and they are able to put up points if you let them.

The revamped Vikings offense looked explosive from the first snap, with Turner finding Rudolph and Harvin for several short completions as well as Noel Devine picking up good yardage on the ground. A sack on Turner put an end to their first drive, though it should remain the only one the Jaguars would score this day.

The defense looked much improved as well, severely limiting Maurice Jones-Drew for pretty much all of the first half, and especially rookies Jackson Bell and Tiger Elliott had great games, Bell not giving up a single completion all game long, completely taking receiver Mike Thomas out of the game. It was veteran Fabian Washington who looked more like the beginner, giving up a 40 yard completion to rookie Uche Joseph even though he had good position on the ball.

Blaine Gabbert looked lost, especially in the face of constant pressure the Vikings threw it him from all angles, Jared Allen and especially sophomore pass rusher Vic So'oto were on to Gabbert all game long, So'oto coming away with 3 sacks and soon they had Gabbert running for his life as his line simply couldn't hold the Vikings defensive front out of the backfield.

For all that they dominated the game, the Vikings left a lot of points on the field because of two crucial interceptions Turner threw in the first half, both deep in Jaguars territory, one inside the endzone on a play where she could've easily ran the ball in herself.

"Yeah, we still have to work some of the kinks out..." Turner said after the game. "The kinks being me throwing the ball to the wrong guy, I really got to work on that. I mean, I made two bad decisions all game long, but those can be two too many in another game."

She was right with her assessment, other than the two interceptions, Turner was outstanding, making throws all over the field, finding Percy Harvin for 9 catches who proved again that he can't be shut down even if the defense keys in on him. Kyle Rudolph showed that he has improved his rapport with Turner, catching a pinpoint pass over the middle in the second quarter for the Vikings first touchdown of the season. She showed great mobility in the pocket, evading the rush and rolling out to extend plays, thinking quick on her feet and showing very good accuracy outside of the pocket.

But even as they dominated the Jaguars, the Vikings still managed to go into halftime down by 3, the reason being Maurice Jones-Drew. MJD, having scored less than 20 yards up to this point, suddenly broke free of a tackle when he again looked like he was going down in the backfield, shaking of another tackler and then he was gone, turning the game upside down with a huge run covering most of the field. The Vikings came back with a decisive two-minute offense that took them all the way to the 2 yard line, but with only seconds on the clock, Turner threw her second pick of the day.

In the second half, MJD now suddenly seemed more like himself, making big plays and tiring out the defense, keeping the Jaguars in a game and Gabbert actually scored a rushing TD to get his team up by 4 just at the beginning of the 4th quarter. But, once again, Hope Turner and Noel Devine proved too much for a defense to contain late in the game, both of them picking apart the Jaguars on the way to no less than three 4th quarter touchdowns as the Jaguars fell apart. Rookie safety Tiger Elliot even got a late interception that pretty much sealed the deal, with Toby Gerhart scoring the final touchdown that had Jaguars players upset, accusing the Vikings of running up the score.

"We were in the heat of it, you know." Turner explained the actions of her team. "Things were clicking, we were all feeling it, we just wanted to play. I mean, there were only seconds on the clock, maybe we should've taken a knee, but we all wanted to go on, just play. I mean, it's not like we threw deep bombs on them, we just ran some inside running plays, we didn't think Toby would actually score on that."

Week 1 Results

Saints 14 @ Buccaneers 17
Browns 26 @ Giants 27
Cowboys 24 @ Ravens 17
Eagles 27 @ Rams 24
Seahawks 13 @ Panthers 26
Redskins 17 @ Falcons 23
Titans 22 @ Patriots 21
Chargers 7 @ Bengals 14
Texans 45 @ Steelers 22
Bears 17 @ Colts 37
Vikings 35 @ Jaguars 17
49ers 14 @ Cardinals 0
Jets 10 @ Raiders 20
Lions 26 @ Packers 37
Bills 24 @ Dolphins 27 (OT)
Chiefs 20 @ Broncos 27

NFC North Standings

Packers (1-0)
Vikings (1-0)
Bears (0-1)
Lions (0-1)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #56
Rookie

tiloj's Arena

OVR: 1

So just out of curiosity did AP have an actual career ending injury of some kind that you role-played, or did you decide to reduce his ratings or something out of pure role-playing to make the franchise harder?

Apologies if you answered this somewhere, but I just started reading the dynasty and haven't gotten through it all quite yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »