Home

A New Era Of Excellence - Oakland Raiders (M12) Franchise

This is a discussion on A New Era Of Excellence - Oakland Raiders (M12) Franchise within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
Rookie

PFellah's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: A New Era Of Excellence - Oakland Raiders (M12) Franchise

2011 PRE-SEASON
(home team in caps)

Before we get into game coverage, the Raiders made one more roster move before the start of pre-season play:

Raiders sign CB Bruce Johnson, cut CB Joe Porter: Said Baxter, "in today's NFL, you have to have three cornerbacks you're confident in, and that's a lot to put on a rookie right away. I'm sure Chimdi and Demarcus will contribute to our team sooner rather than later and they'll get chances in dime and quarter packages, but having another veteran available in the nickel makes us stronger today."

Ed: And, with Bruce and Chris in the same defensive backfield, opens up the new marketing slogan "Come see our Johnsons".

WEEK 1 - Arizona Cardinals 35, OAKLAND RAIDERS 14
A little closer than the final score indicates as Oakland threw two pick-sixes (including one in the Arizona red zone), but the offense was still pretty lethargic. Positives: SS Tyvon Branch was all over the field early, with an interception and several good stops in run support. Michael Bush ran well in relief of McFadden. And Terrelle Porter hooked up with Noel Devine on an 86-yard screen pass for a touchdown where Devine tightroped the sideline after an Arizona defender attempted to bump him out of bounds. Negatives: most everything else, including several drops by Limas Sweed. "Limas Scissorhands" indeed.

CUTS:
LE Jon Condo, MLB Travis Goethel, K Dustin Scott (UDFA). (Ed: in real life, Condo is the long snapper, but monitoring everyone's long snappers is a level of realism I'm just not prepared to pursue. The other teams won't care if they cut their LS, so I'm not going to sweat it either. I'm also a little embarrassed I didn't realize Goethel was on IR when I cut him. )

WEEK 2 - Oakland Raiders 33, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS 28
The offense still struggled, but landed some big plays to pull out a close win. Positives: Chas Schilens caught a couple long touchdowns, Tony Pike was 5-for-5 in the 4th quarter, including a play-action touchdown and a game-sealing 3rd-down completion to Limas Sweed. Negatives: Offense was inconsistent, other than big plays. Not a lot of running room for McFadden. (Ed: Not sure if it's play-calling, or I'm running him wrong, or my sliders are off, but McFadden tends to be LESS effective than the slower Michael Bush.)

CUTS:
FB Zach Baylis (UDFA), CB Darius Franklin (UDFA), TE Brandon Myers, LG Cody Stephens (UDFA). (Ed: Franklin = CB with 69 SPD = )

WEEK 3 - New Orleans Saints 33, OAKLAND RAIDERS 28
Dreadful day for Jason Campbell (4-for-22) and the offensive line (8 sacks). The defense did well, and got a couple opportune picks to keep things close. End got a little weird with a tipped-ball touchdown for the Raiders and a pair of long TD runs by Pierre Thomas. Positives: A pick-six and pick-5.9 (stopped at the 1-yard line) for Chimdi Chekwa. Terrelle Pryor ran at least one nice drive in the two-minute drill. McFadden had a few good runs, though two of them were draws on obvious passing downs, and he still got stuffed more than a back of his caliber should. Negatives: Pass protection and penalties. Part of the reason Campbell was 4-for-22 was that sacks and holding penalties put him in ridiculous passing situations for most of the first half. Defense let up a few long runs late, but part of that was playing over-aggressive trying to get the ball back.

CUTS:
SS Jerome Boyd, DT Jeff Cobbs (UDFA), QB Joe Garibaldi (UDFA), CB Jabari Gordon (UDFA), TE Richard Gordon, P Shane Mallouki (UDFA), WR Nick Miller, FB Manase Tonga. (Ed: accidentally hit ADVANCE and let the CPU make my cuts for me, but most of these would've been on the list anyway. I actually might have kept Miller and Richard Gordon around one more week, but oh well. Mallouki seemed to have good leg strength, but Shane Lechler isn't going anywhere.)

WEEK 4 - SEATTLE SEAHAWKS 34, Oakland Raiders 16
Don't get too alarmed: it was only the backups, and the game was closer than the score indicates. Seattle got out to an early lead with 17 first quarter points, but the Raiders clawed their way back into it. With about 4:30, Seattle led 24-16 and was punting back to Oakland; that's when the wheels fell off. Taiwan Jones fumbled the punt, leading to a field goal, and when Oakland got the ball back, Tony Pike promptly threw a pick leading to another Seattle touchdown and the final margin of victory. Positives: defense rebounded well after a tough start. Negatives: too many three-and-outs on offense, one big special teams mistake late.

CUTS: LT Chris Ballard (UDFA), C Jerome Cureton (UDFA), LOLB Ja'Mario Durham (UDFA), LE Tommy Langford (UDFA).

Last edited by PFellah; 01-14-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
Rookie

PFellah's Arena

2011 PRE-SEASON - AROUND THE LEAGUE

Locker, Ponder done for year; Locker injury may be career-threatening

ESPN reports that Minnesota's Christian Ponder (torn ACL) and Tennessee's Jake Locker (fractured vertebrae) were both carted off the field in their respective training camp debuts; coincidentally, in the same game, as the two teams were facing each other. Locker's injury was particularly scary as he was immobilized on the field -- full details have not been released, but medical experts familiar with these types of injuries are worried that Locker's injury may mean his NFL career is over before it started.

"All we can do is keep him in our prayers and wait to hear what the doctors have to say," said coach Mike Munchak. "Obviously we hope for the best, but when you're dealing with these types of injuries, you can't take chances. It's easy to get locked into our jobs, but something like this reminds you there's more to life than football."

Hines Ward's assault on 1000-catch club sidetracked

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward entered the 2011 season at 955 career receptions and 11,702 yards -- 1000 catches and 12,000 yards seemed within easy reach. However, thanks to a herniated disk, the chase will be on hold for almost the first half of the season. Coach Tomlin is currently hoping for his return at the end of October.

"Forget about all that stuff about legacy and records and all that," said Ward. "That sort of talk is for when you're retired. Right now my goal is to get healthy, get back in the lineup, and hopefully help get the Steelers back to the Super Bowl."

Manning ready for start of season

Despite offseason rumors swirling, Indianapolis Colts' QB Peyton Manning says he will be ready for the season opener against the Houston Texans. "Obviously it was hard to judge my readiness when the lockout was going on and workouts were limited," said Manning, "and you had all these crazy rumors floating around... one guy even said I was going to miss the entire season and we'd go 0-16 without me, and talking about whether we'd draft Andrew Luck with the #1 pick. But I'm here to tell you I feel good and I'm ready to go." (Ed: the rosters I'm using don't list him as injured, so I guess in this alternate universe, he's good to go.)

Hey, hey, hey... Haynesworth done for year

When the New England Patriots acquired the rights to troubled DT Albert Haynesworth from the Washington Redskins, all the speculation was on whether Bill Belichick would be able to deal with the off-field distractions involved with another high-maintenance player, as he did with Randy Moss and Corey Dillon. Now it appears off-field distractions are the only kind Haynesworth will be providing in 2011, as the Patriots placed him on IR with a broken tailbone. Haynesworth will sit (or maybe not, given the nature of his injury) out all of 2011 and try to make another comeback in 2012.

Hester, Holmes to miss significant time

The Chicago Bears and New York Jets will both be deprived of their most explosive weapons for the first half of the season after injuries in pre-season finales. Chicago's Devin Hester suffered a broken collarbone, and the Jets' Santonio Holmes broke his left hand. Both players are expected to miss 7-8 weeks.

"We'll definitely feel better about punting to them [the Bears]," said one NFC coach. "He's such a game-changing weapon back there. You don't wish an injury on anyone, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't breathing a little easier."

Giants feel the pain of league's longest injury list

Talk about a dubious distinction. No less than six members of the New York Giants will start the year on injured reserve: DT Marvin Austin (torn pectoral), MLB Jonathan Goff (complete ACL tear), C Bryan Reed (broken ankle), QB Sage Rosenfels (torn rotator cuff), ROLB Cliff Sintim (complete ACL tear), CB Terrell Thomas (complete ACL tear). Additionally, center David Baas is expected to miss 10 weeks with a torn quadricep.

Winners and Losers

(Ed: maybe next year. I hit ADVANCE before collecting data on which teams did well and poorly in preseason. Oops.)

Last edited by PFellah; 01-15-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
Rookie

PFellah's Arena

FINAL ROSTER MOVES / POSITION BATTLE REVIEWS

The Raiders made a few moves to add veteran depth to the roster before breaking camp for good.

Raiders add CB Corey Graham, C Jake Grove, and LG Ikechuku Ndukwe; cut RG LOLB Darryl Blackstock, RG Jonathan Branch, and C P.J. McQuillan. Grove and Ndukwe were both moves to add a little veteran depth on the offensive line; a lot of the Raiders' backups were rookies or first-year players. Graham adds an extra body in the secondary in case of injuries, but not someone who would take snaps away from the rookies, Van Dvke or Chekwa.

(Ed: After other teams made their cuts, I also added LOLB Ikaika Alama-Francis and dropped LOLB Bruce Davis. Alama-Francis is nice as a depth 'tweener -- with his size, he can play either DE or LB pretty well. For the moment, Groves is still the starter, but IAF might see some snaps if Groves struggles.)

POSITION BATTLES

Tony Pike over Terrelle Pryor (backup QB):
Pryor remains the higher-ceiling player, and we'll probably find some ways to get him snaps (goal-line QB, maybe). But for a replacement for a few series, Pike is a bit more of a steady hand, and played that way in camp, while Pryor had ups and downs.

Taiwan Jones over Noel Devine (3rd-down back): Devine had the one big play -- an 86-yard touchdown off a screen pass -- but Jones was generally more reliable as a receiver out of the backfield.

Jacoby Ford, Darius Heyward-Bey, Louis Murphy, Chaz Schilens, Denarius Moore (all four WR spots): Ford and Schilens were the top two performers statistically, but Schilens comes at a discount because he mostly played with (and against) reserves. DHB didn't have a memorable camp, but neither did Murphy, so we'll start the guy with more potential. Moore had a few nice flashes, but not enough to take a job away from someone else as a rookie.

Joe Barksdale vs. Khalif Barnes (RT): Barksdale has the raw tools to be successful, but it's not his time yet.

Trevor Scott vs. Matt Shaughnessy (RE):
With little in the way to separate them in camp performance, Shaughnessy backs into the starter job by virtue of the fact that Scott makes an effective backup at three or four positions.

Quentin Groves vs. Ja'Mario Durham vs. Fabian Carnes (LOLB): No one really stood out, so Groves wins by default. But honestly we'll be keeping an eye on the free agent list. Durham turned out to be a dud, but Carnes at least earned a backup role, taking Darryl Blackstock's spot on the roster. Carnes is also a bit of a physical freak for a linebacker, at 6'7" 270.

A bunch of guys (nickel, dime, quarter): The signing of Bruce Johnson short-circuited the most important piece of this debate -- it'll be Routt, Chris Johnson, and Bruce Johnson as the top three backs. Both UDFAs fizzled, so Van Dvke and Chekwa will play dime and quarter -- Chekwa had one huge game with two picks, but Van Dvke was more consistent and made more plays overall.
Corey Graham was signed for pure depth, but won't enter the conversation unless an injury happens.

Last edited by PFellah; 01-14-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Rookie

PFellah's Arena

OAKLAND RAIDERS 2011 ROSTER

OAKLAND RAIDERS 2011 ROSTER
#OFFENSEPOSAGEHTWTCOLLEGE
86Ausberry, David (R)TE236'3"233USC
72Barksdale, Joe (R)RT226'4"325LSU
69Barnes, KhalifRT286'5"325Washington
87Boss, KevinTE276'6"253Western Oregon
88Brock, KevinTE256'5"260Rutgers
29Bush, MichaelHB276'1"245Louisville
8Campbell, JasonQB296'5"230Auburn
74Campbell, BruceLG236'6"314Maryland
66Carlisle, CooperRG346'5"295Florida
25Devine, Noel (R-UDFA)HB235'8"179West Virginia
12Ford, JacobyWR245'9"186Clemson
54Grove, JakeC306'4"300Virginia Tech
75Heyer, StefonLT276'6"330Maryland
85Heyward-Bey, DariusWR236'2"210Maryland
22Jones, Taiwan (R)HB235'11"194Eastern Washington
60Mahan, Brice (R-UDFA)LG236'4"301LSU
20McFadden, DarrenHB246'2"210Arkansas
17Moore, Denarius (R)WR225'11"194Tennessee
18Murphy, LouisWR246'2"200Florida
62Ndukwe, IkechukuLG296'4"325Northwestern
15Pike, TonyQB256'6"222Cincinnati
2Pryor, Terrelle (R-supp.)QB226'6"233Ohio State
45Reece, MarcelFB266'3"240Washington
64Satele, SamsonC266'3"300Hawai'i
81Schilens, ChazWR256'4"225San Diego State
14Sweed, LimasWR266'4"220Texas
68Veldheer, JaredLT246'8"312Hillsdale
61Wisniewski, Stefen (R)LG226'3"313Penn State
#DEFENSEPOSAGEHTWTCOLLEGE
59Alama-Francis, IkaikaLOLB276'5"290Hawai'i
33Branch, TyvonSS246'0"205Connecticut
57Brown, RickyMLB276'2"235Boston College
90Bryant, DesmondDT256'5"290Harvard
56Carnes, Fabian (R-UDFA)ROLB236'7"270Alabama
35Chekwa, Chimdi (R)CB225'11"191Ohio State
31Eugene, HiramFS306'2"200LA Tech
27Giordano, MattFS275'11"200California
30Graham, CoreyCB266'0"198New Hampshire
52Groves, QuentinLOLB276'3"264Auburn
79Henderson, JohnDT326'7"335Tennessee
99Houston, LamarrLE246'3"305Texas
24Huff, MichaelFS286'1"205Texas
39Johnson, BruceCB245'11"182Miami
37Johnson, ChrisCB316'1"200Louisville
93Kelly, TommyDT306'6"300Mississippi State
53Leman, JeremyMLB266'2"240Illinois
55McClain, RolandoMLB226'3"253Alabama
34Mitchell, MichaelSS256'1"220Ohio
94Moss, JarvisRE276'7"257Florida
26Routt, StanfordCB286'1"195Houston
91Scott, TrevorRE276'5"255Buffalo
92Seymour, RIchardDT316'6"310Georgia
77Shaughnessy, MattRE246'5"270Wisconsin
23Van Dvke, DemarcusCB226'0"176Miami
96Wimbley, KamerionROLB276'3"255Florida State
#SPECIAL TEAMSPOSAGEHTWTCOLLEGE
11Janikowski, SebastianK336'2"250Florida State
9Lechler, ShaneP356'2"225Texas A&M

Captains:
FS Michael Huff, P Shane Lechler, DT Richard Seymour
Roles: Deep Threat (Ford, Heyward-Bey), Future Star (Houston), Offensive Playmaker (Devine, McFadden), Trench Warrior (Wisniewski), Underachiever (Moss)

Last edited by PFellah; 01-15-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
Rookie

PFellah's Arena

OAKLAND RAIDERS 2011 DEPTH CHART

OAKLAND RAIDERS Depth Chart - 2011
Regular Offense

STARTER2ND3RD4TH
WRJacoby Ford 74Louis Murphy 75Denarius Moore 64
TEKevin Boss 77David Ausberry 66Kevin Brock 61
LTJared Veldheer 81Stephon Heyer 69Bruce Campbell 65 (LG)
LGStefen Wisniewski 77Ikechuku Ndukwe 73Bruce Campbell 71
CSamson Satele 72Jake Grove 77Stephon Heyer 65 (LT)
RGCooper Carlisle 76Bruce Campbell 70 (LG)Stephon Heyer 69 (LT)
RTKhalif Barnes 74Stephon Heyer 73 (LT)Joe Barksdale 65
WRDarius Heyward-Bey 72Chaz Schilens 72Limas Sweed 63
QBJason Campbell 81Tony Pike 64Terrelle Pryor 65
FBMarcel Reece 83Kevin Brock 53 (TE)David Ausberry 51 (TE)
HBDarren McFadden 87Michael Bush 77Taiwan Jones 67Noel Devine 65
Base 4-3 Defense

STARTER2ND3RD4TH
LDELamarr Houston 82Trevor Scott 81 (RE)Jarvis Moss 67 (RE)
LDTRichard Seymour 93John Henderson 79Trevor Scott 76 (RE)
RDTTommy Kelly 85Desmond Bryant 70

RDEMatt Shaughnessy 80Trevor Scott 79Jarvis Moss 66
LOLBQuentin Groves 72Ikaika Alama-Francis 73
Trevor Scott 69 (RE)
MLBRolando McClain 82Ricky Brown 70Jeremy Leman 60Fabian Carnes 62 (ROLB)
ROLBKamerion Wimbley 87Fabian Carnes 66Trevor Scott 70 (RE)
CBStanford Routt 85Bruce Johnson 75Chimdi Chekwa 65
SSTyvon Branch 87Michael Mitchell 75Matt Giordano 67 (FS)
FSMichael Huff 84Hiram Eugene 73 (IR)Michael Mitchell 71 (SS)Matt Giordano 69
CBChris Johnson 76Demarcus Van Dvke 66Corey Graham 66

Last edited by PFellah; 01-15-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
Rookie

PFellah's Arena

OAKLAND RAIDERS 2011 SCHEDULE
(home games in all caps)

Week 1 - 9/12 - at Denver Broncos (Mon.), L 14-36
Week 2 - 9/18 - at Buffalo Bills
Week 3 - 9/25 - NEW YORK JETS
Week 4 - 10/2 - NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Week 5 - 10/9 - at Houston Texans
Week 6 - 10/16 - CLEVELAND BROWNS
Week 7 - 10/23 - KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
Week 8 - 10/30 - (BYE)
Week 9 - 11/6 - DENVER BRONCOS
Week 10 - 11/10 - at San Diego Chargers (Thu.)
Week 11 - 11/20 - at Minnesota Vikings
Week 12 - 11/27 - CHICAGO BEARS
Week 13 - 12/4 - at Miami Dolphins
Week 14 - 12/11 - at Green Bay Packers
Week 15 - 12/18 - DETROIT LIONS
Week 16 - 12/24 - at Kansas City Chiefs
Week 17 - 1/1 - SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

Last edited by PFellah; 01-15-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #15
Rookie

PFellah's Arena

CHICAGO BEARS
PosPlayerInjury Note
LOLBNick RoachBroken collarbone - 5 weeks
WR/KRDevin HesterBroken collarbone - 8 weeks
LOLBJ.T. ThomasComplete ACL tear - IR

CINCINNATI BENGALS
PosPlayerInjury Note
WRBrandon TateTorn shoulder labrum - 1 week
LOLBManny LawsonBroken thumb - 3 weeks
MLBRoddrick MuckelroyComplete Achilles tear - IR
TEBo ScaifeTorn rotator cuff - IR

BUFFALO BILLS
PosPlayerInjury Note
RTErik PearsDislocated ankle - 1 week
RGChad RinehartTorn quadricep - 2 weeks
WRDonald JonesDislocated hip - 5 weeks
CEric WoodBroken collarbone - 5 weeks
RESpencer JohnsonTorn pectoral - IR
MLBReggie TorborTorn rotator cuff - IR

DENVER BRONCOS
PosPlayerInjury Note
WREddie RoyalUpper arm fracture - 1 week
LTRyan CladyAbdominal tear - 1 week
RGRuss HochsteinBroken tibia - IR
CBSyd'quan ThompsonComplete Achilles tear - IR

CLEVELAND BROWNS
PosPlayerInjury Note
DTAhtyba RubinBroken jaw - 2 weeks
HBBrandon JacksonComplete Achilles tear - IR
PReggie HodgesComplete Achilles tear - IR
LGEric SteinbachTorn rotator cuff - IR

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
PosPlayerInjury Note
WRSammie StroughterBroken forearm - 5 weeks
LEDa'Quan BowersBroken collarbone - 7 weeks
TEKellen WinslowDislocated hip - 9 weeks

ARIZONA CARDINALS
PosPlayerInjury Note
WREarly DoucetBroken collarbone - 4 weeks
CBGregory TolerComplete ACL tear - IR
LGFloyd WomackTorn rotator cuff - IR

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
PosPlayerInjury Note
MLBTakeo SpikesTorn shoulder labrum - 1 week
RGLouis VasquezDislocated elbow - 1 week
FSNick PolkComplete Achilles tear - IR

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
PosPlayerInjury Note
MLBBrandon SilerComplete Achilles tear - IR
ROLBGabe MillerComplete Achilles tear - IR
TETony MoeakiComplete Achilles tear - IR
RTRyan O'CallaghanComplete Achilles tear - IR

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
PosPlayerInjury Note
LGMike PollakBroken thumb - 1 week
WRAnthony GonzalezTorn quadricep - 7 weeks

DALLAS COWBOYS
PosPlayerInjury Note
HBFelix JonesBroken thumb - 2 weeks
MLBKeith BrookingTorn bicep - 3 weeks

MIAMI DOLPHINS
PosPlayerInjury Note
QBChad HenneBroken jaw - 1 week
LTAllen BarbreComplete Achilles tear - IR
LTLydon MurthaComplete ACL tear - IR

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
PosPlayerInjury Note
CJamaal JacksonUpper arm fracture - 1 week
RTWinston JusticeBroken thumb - 2 weeks
LTKing DunlapPartial MCL tear - 4 weeks
MLBCasey MatthewsFractured foot - 7 weeks
LEVictor AbiamiriComplete Achilles tear - IR

ATLANTA FALCONS
PosPlayerInjury Note
CBDunta RobinsonDislocated ankle - 2 weeks
LTSam BakerDislocated hip - 9 weeks

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
PosPlayerInjury Note
TENate ByhamComplete ACL tear - IR

NEW YORK GIANTS
PosPlayerInjury Note
CDave BaasTorn quadricep - 10 weeks
CBTerrell ThomasComplete ACL tear - IR
ROLBClint SintimComplete ACL tear - IR
MLBJonathan GoffComplete ACL tear - IR
CBryan ReedBroken ankle - IR
DTMarvin AustinTorn pectoral - IR
QBSage RosenfelsTorn rotator cuff - IR

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
PosPlayerInjury Note
RGUche NwaneriDislocated hip - 2 weeks
LEMatt RothHerniated disk - 4 weeks
FSTerrell WhiteheadComplete Achilles tear - IR
DTD'Anthony SmithComplete Achilles tear - IR
REAaron MorganComplete Achilles tear - IR
CBDavid JonesComplete ACL tear - IR
RGKevin HaslamComplete MCL tear - IR

NEW YORK JETS
PosPlayerInjury Note
FSEric SmithBroken collarbone - 5 weeks
WRSantonio HolmesBroken hand - 7 weeks
TEDustin KellerFractured kneecap - IR
QBGreg McElroyTorn pectoral - IR

DETROIT LIONS
PosPlayerInjury Note
HBJahvid BestHerniated disk - 2 weeks
TEBrandon PettigrewMeniscus tear - 3 weeks
TETony SchefflerTorn bicep - 6 weeks
CBEric WrightFractured toe - 8 weeks
HBMikel LeshoureComplete Achilles tear - IR
RGStephen PetermanCompound fracture - IR
RTJohnny CulbreathComplete Achilles tear - IR

GREEN BAY PACKERS
PosPlayerInjury Note
MLBDesmond BishopBroken jaw - 2 weeks
ROLBErik WaldenBroken collarbone - 3 weeks
LGT.J. LangBroken forearm - 8 weeks
LELawrence GuyComplete Achilles tear - IR

CAROLINA PANTHERS
PosPlayerInjury Note
RGMackenzy BernadeauPartial ACL tear - 1 week
LTGarry WilliamsComplete Achilles tear - IR
RGGeoff SchwartzFractured hip - IR
TEGary BarnidgeComplete Achilles tear - IR
CZack WIlliamsComplete ACL tear - IR
DTRon EdwardsTorn pectoral - IR

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
PosPlayerInjury Note
ROLBRob NinkovichFractured foot - 1 week
QBRyan MallettPartial groin tear - 2 weeks
RGBrian WatersHerniated disk - 4 weeks
RGRich OhrnbergerComplete ACL tear - IR
DTAlbert HaynesworthBroken tailbone - IR

OAKLAND RAIDERS
PosPlayerInjury Note
SSTyvon BranchDislocated elbow - 1 week
FSHiram EugeneFractured hip - IR

ST. LOUIS RAMS
PosPlayerInjury Note
CBJerome MurphyBroken ankle - IR
DTJermelle CudjoTorn pectoral - IR

BALTIMORE RAVENS
PosPlayerInjury Note
LTBryant McKinnieTorn quadricep - 6 weeks
SSMarcus PaschalComplete ACL tear - IR
LTRamon HarewoodComplete ACL tear - IR
HBMatt LawrenceTorn rotator cuff - IR

WASHINGTON REDSKINS
PosPlayerInjury Note
RGEric OlsenTorn hamstring - 4 weeks
RGChris ChesterCompound fracture - IR
LEJarvis JenkinsComplete Achilles tear - IR
LTSean LocklearTorn rotator cuff - IR

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
PosPlayerInjury Note
HBPatrick CobbsComplete Achilles tear - IR
FSPaul OliverComplete Achilles tear - IR
LTAlex BarronComplete ACL tear - IR
CBFabian WashingtonComplete ACL tear - IR

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
PosPlayerInjury Note
LOLBDyjuan ClaytonUpper arm fracture - 2 weeks
RGJohn MoffittHerniated disk - 3 weeks
LTRussell OkungTorn quadricep - 3 weeks
LEChris ClemonsHerniated disk - 6 weeks
REJimmy WilkersonComplete ACL tear - IR
WRIsaiah StanbackComplete Achilles tear - IR
TEJohn CarlsonTorn rotator cuff - IR

PITTSBURGH STEELERS
PosPlayerInjury Note
TEHeath MillerPartial groin tear - 2 weeks
RGChris KemoeatuTorn hamstring - 3 weeks
LTMarcus GilbertPartial groin tear - 3 weeks
WRHines WardHerniated disk - 7 weeks
HBBaron BatchComplete ACL tear - IR
QBByron LeftwichTorn rotator cuff - IR

HOUSTON TEXANS
PosPlayerInjury Note
CChris MyersUpper arm fracture - 2 weeks
LETim JamisonBroken forearm - 5 weeks
REAntonio SmithHerniated disk - 7 weeks
RGKasey StuddardComplete Achilles tear - IR

TENNESSEE TITANS
PosPlayerInjury Note
CBRyan MoutonComplete Achilles tear - IR
WRKevin CurtisComplete Achilles tear - IR
CBPete IttersagenComplete Achilles tear - IR
QBJake LockerFractured vertebrae - IR

MINNESOTA VIKINGS
PosPlayerInjury Note
MLBE.J. HendersonMeniscus tear - 2 weeks
C Brandon FuscoBroken forearm - 6 weeks
MLBJasper BrinkleyComplete ACL tear - IR
QBChristian PonderComplete ACL tear - IR
LTScott KooistraTorn rotator cuff - IR

Last edited by PFellah; 01-15-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #16
Rookie

PFellah's Arena

Raider Report - Week 1

Welcome to Raider Report, the program that asks the questions you the fans want answered. We have a real treat for you this season, as Al Davis' right-hand man, Ian Baxter, has agreed to do a studio interview with us each week of the season.

RR: So, you just finished your first training camp in charge of an NFL team. How was that experience? What things pretty much expected and what things were different than what you expected.

IB: Oh boy. The easy answer is nothing was totally as expected, except the quality and professionalism of the guys in the locker room. I knew we had a team of great players and they were up to the challenge. But other than that, pretty much everything was different than you'd imagine. If there's something that was specifically unexpected or more difficult, it was getting a read on some of these kids. One week they show you something, and then next week, they give you a totally different opinion.

The other thing was dealing with the reaction to me being an unknown quantity. There were places where it got pretty out of proportion. I get that I kinda came out of nowhere and people had questions about that. But some of the mean-spirited stuff about how Al must have Alzheimer's or I must be his illegitimate son or something... sometimes your fellow man can be pretty disappointing. You know... it's just a game. Wait til I screw up and THEN run me out of town on rails.

RR: What did you see out of the team that you liked, and what do you still need to work on?

IB: Overall, I thought our defensive play was pretty solid. The scores might not reflect it, but in some cases we were pushing too hard to make things happen, and got out of our gameplan. The flip side is our offense had too many ups and downs. D-Mac would bust a nice run one play and then get stuffed for the next three or four. We'd go 3-and-out for most of the half and then hit a 70-yard touchdown in the final two minutes. I just think we need to smooth out those peaks and valleys so we're not always looking to big plays to bail us out. (Ed: Translation -- defensive sliders are right where I want them. Offensive sliders may need a little (5pt.) tweaking.)

RR: Now that pre-season is over, one of the early duties of a GM is to start scouting the 2012 draft class. Have you had a chance to look over that yet?

IB: Not in any great detail. It's tough. You need to allocate those resources because the scouts need time to work, but at the same time there are so many unknowns. You don't know what slot you'll be drafting in, so -- for example -- should we take time to look at an Andrew Luck or not? You have ideas what holes your team might have based on free agency and retirement, but you don't know for sure. You don't know which of your current younger players are going to take that leap forward and which ones will stagnate.

That said, since that's a bit of a non-answer, I'll try to draw some boundaries around it. It looks like defensive tackle is going to be a need area -- we've got three guys over 30 years old, and financially, a lot of money allocated to the position. So maybe that's a place to get younger. Cooper Carlisle is getting up there at guard, so we ought to start grooming a replacement for him. Chris Johnson and Stanford Routt are both free agents after the season, so we might want to look at corners, even with two rookies making the roster this year. And Jason Campbell is in the last year of his contract -- that doesn't automatically mean we're looking at QB, but we'd be foolish to ignore the position.

RR: Speaking of young players, what young player on the current Raiders' roster surprised you most during the preseason?

IB: I gotta admit I liked what I saw out of Chimdi Chekwa a lot. He had a two-pick game, both of which he almost returned for touchdowns, and he came across the field to make a touchdown-saving tackle in the Seattle game. He's got some things to work on, but he could be a good one. I also like seeing Fabian Carnes making the team as a UDFA -- you have to respect a guy who comes in with no promises and works his tail off and makes the team.

RR:
In a couple of late moves, you brought in Jake Grove (center) and Ikaika Alama-Francis (linebacker). First, should Samson Satele and Quentin Groves be worried about their jobs, and second; if so, why not make the moves earlier in camp?

IB: For now, we're looking at Grove and Alama-Francis as depth signings. In both cases, we were going to be leaning heavily on pretty raw rookies, so we wanted to get some experience in there in case something happens. In Ikaika's case, he only hit the wire in the last round of cuts so he wasn't even available until we were breaking camp. I think in Grove's case he has the capacity to start for us, but Samson won the job and deserves a fair chance to keep it.

(Ed.: In an effort to not be omniscient about ratings, I figure it takes at least a 5-pt OVR difference for a guy to be noticeably better -- Grove would qualify; IAF would not. So in IAF's case (73, vs 72 for Groves), I don't think the coaching staff would say 'OMG he should be starting!'. Also, I like to have an informal "learn the playbook" grace period before I start a new guy -- I base it on AWR; a guy with high AWR can usually jump in with a few weeks' lead time while a guy with low AWR should sit a while.)

RR:
Looking ahead, the Raiders open against the Denver Broncos. How do you feel opening against a division opponent in Week One?

IB: Well, the strategist in me would probably prefer to start with a non-division or non-conference game just to ease into the season a little bit. But you know... that cuts both ways. We're still hitting our stride, but so is everyone else. And the fan in me loves it. Division opponent under the lights? Monday Night Football? Bring it on!

RR:
The story of the Broncos pre-season has been Tim Tebow, or more specifically, the outpouring of fans wanting to see Tebow starting over Kyle Orton. What are your thoughts on Tebow?

IB: My football answer is that Orton's starting, so it's a non-issue unless Orton gets hurt. My GM answer is I have sympathy for their plight, because they have a #1 pick invested in a guy who's not really ready to play from an X's and O's standpoint. Taking off both those hats for a second... it's fine to say he's a winner and has intangibles and you don't want to totally ignore those things. The kid clearly has a locker room presence, and as a leader, he's ready today. But there are NFL plays he needs to be able to make before you even CONSIDER putting him out there, and if he can't make those plays, you don't do it.

I'd also add that doing something just because the fans want it is a quick ticket out of town. Don't get me wrong. I love the fans, and when I'm off the clock, I AM a fan of the game. I had a thousand ideas how to make my hometown Steelers better before I came here. But with all respect, fans don't have all the information we do. They don't watch the film from countless practices. They don't get to hear the conversations with position coaches and teammates who are immersed in this every day, sunup to sunset. A fan sees three good plays in one game and says "why isn't that guy playing more?" but we see how the sausage gets made.

RR: Well, last question... any predictions for the upcoming season?

IB: Nah. Predictions have a way of coming back to bite you. I'll leave that to the journalists.

Last edited by PFellah; 01-15-2012 at 10:32 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »