Home

Buffalo Bills Video Dynasty (Madden)

This is a discussion on Buffalo Bills Video Dynasty (Madden) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
Rookie

Bubba_Zanetti's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Buffalo Bills Video Dynasty (Madden)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhurst99
Yeah, I know sports game get criticized a lot but I've learned to love them with all their warts and try to see past some of the bad A.I. and enjoy the ride.
Agreed. There is definately a lot of nitpicking on these games like Madden (very justifiable in this case as the franchise has gone down somewhat) but I don't consider them unplayable. Too much instant gratification seems to be the norm which is why I enjoy your dynasties -- slow, steady and getting the most out of the game. Same for me. For example, I have a Bucs career in Madden 11 where I play 1 game per week and a Habs career in NHL12 which I play 2X/week. Thus, I look forward to firing up the game instead of playing 10 games in 1 night and getting burned out. Plus it helps avoiding the temptation of buying the latest version knowing you are not ready to give up the time invested in your current franchise. Sixty bucks buys a lot of groceries.

But, this topic is for another time and place. Back to your dynasty.

Montreal Canadiens - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Tampa Bay Rays - West Ham United - Montreal Impact - Jeff Gordon
Old 12-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #18
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

OVR: 27

Aug. 2, 2012

Bryan Hurst was learning there were plenty of surprises with the Buffalo Bills.

If there was one good thing about the team missing the playoffs for 12 consecutive seasons, it was that the team had plenty of high draft picks. Although some of those picks had been busts, some were beginning to show promise.

C.J., Spiller, the ninth overall pick in the 2010 draft, was explosive in training camp. If he reached the second level of the defense, his lateral speed and quick ability to change directions was a nightmare for linebackers. Spiller and veteran running back Fred Jackson had the potential to be dynamic out of the backfield.

Stevie Johnson, a late draft pick in 2008, was blossoming into an elite wide receiver. He had surpassed 1,000 receiving yards last year and was proving to be an elusive, sure-handed wideout in practise. He already had a fantastic chemistry with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

But the unexpected skill level of players on the offense wasn't the thing that shocked the Buffalo Bills new coach and general manager the most. It was how hungry everyone seemed.

This training camp had been far different than the last one he ran in 2008 with the Philadelphia Eagles. There players like Donovan McNabb, Brian Westbrook and Brian Dawkins were established stars. They had been to the Super Bowl; they knew what it took to get ready on Sunday. There were never too up or too down. They were calm and cool professionals who expected to succeed..

But maybe that had been part of the problem. They had taken success for granted. When the game didn't follow the script, when something unusually bad happened like a kicker missing an extra point -- that calm and coolness could be mistaken for a team stunned silent and ineffective.

It was clear after a few days with these Buffalo Bills that wasn't going to be a problem. Bryan Hurst was no psychiatrist -- although he wondered if it wasn't a good idea to have a degree in psychology to understand the varied personalities a NFL coach encountered -- but it seemed like there was some serious bipolar issues on this team.

Successive successful offensive plays in practise brought out loud cheers and high fives. Series where the offense couldn't move the ball against the defense were treated like a military surrender, heads dropped, players cursing.

Hurst had never seen players wear their emotions on their sleeves in practise like this group. It was clear that past years' failures and the abrupt firings of the coach and general manager before the season had everyone on edge even before the season began.

It would be his job to mold that energy into victories and that hunger into spending hours learning the playbook and studying their opponent's game films. Maybe this could work.

First, he had to make sure the players were focused and self-disciplined. Penalties could kill a team.

And just as that thought crossed his mind, it happened.

Defensive backs Stephon Gilmore and George Wilson destroyed a receiver clearly out of bounds in a scrimmage.

Hurst blew his whistle. "What in the world are you guys doing. We're not trying to kill our receiving core before the season starts. You would both have been flagged for unnecessary roughness."

It was one of dirtiest hits Hurst had ever seen in a scrimmage. It was also one of the most wonderful things he had seen.

This team was ready to explode against real opponents
Old 12-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

Aug. 4, 2012

After his third Crown Royal and coke, Bryan Hurst realized there was nothing to worry about.

No, there was no sense worrying about something that was completely out of his control.

He had been full of dread before his meeting with Buffalo Bills owner and de facto general manager Ralph Wilson. Wilson was going to decide which four players had to be cut before the team's first pre-season game; it was the first of many decisions Hurst was going to have to pass off as his own.

A lesser man might have felt a little intoxicated with that many drinks before such a meeting, but Hurst found it merely dulled his anxiety. It allowed him to focus at the task at hand; everything else faded into the background.

He was going to have live with whatever crazy decision Wilson made. All he could do was make suggestions to Wilson. Hurst hoped that Wilson had learned what to look for in a player when making his decisions. Too many were simply blind by a player's physical appearance. It didn't matter in the NFL if you were a 6-foot-4, 300-pound lineman built like a Greed God. Just about everyone at this level looked like that.

It reminded Hurst of a joke: If you were one in a million guy in China, there was still a 100 people just like you. It was just like that in the NFL.

A 6-foor-4, 300 pound lineman was useless if he wasn't agile or smart enough to pass block or pull on sweeps. Hurst wonder if Wilson understood that.

When Hurst entered Wilson's office, he was surprised how many binders and charts were on the 93-year old man's desk. There didn't appear to be a free spot on the desk; some appeared to defy gravity as they hung off the desk at odd angles. Somebody was obviously helping put together all this material for Wilson. Who was doing that?

"I've looked at all the tape from the scrimmages and the practises and I think we should cut the following players. What are your thoughts, Bryan?"

For not the first time since he had been named coach and general manager, Hurst was pleasantly surprised.

The cuts Wilson was making were sound. The team had an excess of centers and right guards making Garrison Sanbourn and Keith Williams easy decisions. It wouldn't surprise Hurst if another center needed to go later in training camp.

Cutting two defensive tackles this early in camp was a bit unusual, but certainly a defensible move.

"I think that's sound reasoning, Mr. Wilson. We have seven defensive tackles. That's too many," Hurst said.

"It's done then. Please be polite when you give them news. Hopefully, they'll land other jobs," Wilson said. "I don't want to keep you from your team."

Hurst knew it was time to leave and rose from his chair.

"One other thing, Bryan. I know it's only pre-season but try to pull out the win against Washington. Pre-season wins set a good tone for the season and help with ticket sales," Wilson said.

"On a personal note, I have had to sit in a few NFL Board meetings with Daniel Synder. A pompus, arrogant fellow I'm not particularly fond of. Sometimes even at my advanced age these games can be personal. Go win."

"Of course, Mr. Wilson," said Hurst. He made a mental note to refrain from playing third string quarterback Tyler Thigpen until the second exhibition game.

As Hurst closed the door and left, Wilson thought there was something unusual in Hurst's demeanour today but he couldn't quite put his finger on it.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

Great read, so far. Looking forward to reading more
Old 12-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #21
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdeath12
Great read, so far. Looking forward to reading more
Thanks. First exhibition game is almost ready to go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #22
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

Old 12-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #23
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

Old 12-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #24

NewNapkin's Arena

OVR: 9

Looking very nice so far, bhurst.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »