Home

Win the Battle and the War: A UL Monroe WarHawk Dynasty

This is a discussion on Win the Battle and the War: A UL Monroe WarHawk Dynasty within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2013, 02:22 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Win the Battle and the War: A UL Monroe WarHawk Dynasty

WARHAWKS WRAP UP FALL CAMP

(WARHAWK PLAYERS HEAD INTO LOCKER ROOM AFTER FINAL TWO A DAY PACTICE)

MONROE, La. - The ULM football team closed out the 2013 fall camp Tuesday with a two-hour practice in full pads at the ULM practice fields.
Afterwards head coach Eddie Polly made himself availabe to the media to answer questions about the seasons first test as well as preseason mentions and how he thought his team fairs with his new system.
The Warhawks will kick off the 2013 season on the road Saturday, August 31st at 3 p.m. against #13 Oklahoma.

Coach Polly Statement:
We are excited it is game week. It was difficult to ask your guys to keep hitting each other for two weeks but they seem ready to go. When the season opens everyone wants to play and now it is our turn. We obviously are playing a very, very good Oklahoma team. It's not just good in name, I think there are teams out there that are good in name, but this is 13th-ranked team in the country and deservingly so. coach Stoops consistantly has this team in or around the top ten every year for the last decade. From an offensive perspective, if you are going to be a great football team you have to have to have a great quarterback and they do. He has phenomenal accuracy, tough, sees things and it will be difficult to disguise anything. They have a great running back and tight end, several good wide receivers and a physical offensive line. They are a Big-12 defense - fast, long - and they have an outstanding kicker. So they have all the things that ranked teams tend to have.

On the PreSeason Publications for his team and players
As always those are good "Individual" accolades. But those are paper champs. You dont get any certificate or plaque for being preseason anything. I know those 9 or so players who were put on the preseason all conference list will work hard to prove those right and in turn should help us out. As far as being named second in the conference. This team did win it last year so we are number 1 until someone knocks us off.

On if his defensive scheme will be fully installed by gameday
I dont think youre never fully installed, you have to scheme every team differently that means adding something here and taking something out there. The base of our defense will be in but as the season goes and we learn how to disguise things then we will get creative.

Matchup Preview | August 31, 2013
@
Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks
(0-0, Away)

#13 Oklahoma Sooners
(0-0, Home)
norman, oklahoma
Game Notes
INTO THE FIRE!!!

Both teams come into the game with high powered quarterbacks. For UL Monroe Jonathon Mansfield brings senior leadership and poise. The 90 thousand plus in Norman should not face him. The question is will his playmakers come to play. Running back Cameron Porter has had a good camp and if hes successful he could take a lot of pressure of Mansfield and this offense.

The defense not only just learned a new scheme but now they have to test it out against a high powered Oklahoma offense. The Junior Quarterback Alex Cummings could have a field day throwing the ball. Senior receiver Andrew Ford brings his solid stature at 6'2 198 pounds and decent speed to play look for these two to hook up often. Oklahoma is filled with playmakers on the receiving end Johnson, Hill and Henderson could have big days. It will be up to Warhawk Free Safety Marcus Hunter to get his secondary in the right position to make plays. His leadership will be key.

Last edited by gorillapittpray; 07-21-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
MVP

Gronk4M13's Arena

OVR: 18

Following, really liking this so far.

Yankees: #AllRise
Old 07-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
MVP

[quote=Gronk4M13;2045242099]Following, really liking this so far.[/quotThanks Bro!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
MVP

THE CAMPUS GAZETTE
FIRST GAME JITTERS!
FOR THE SECOND CONSECUTIVE YEAR THE WARHAWKS OPEN THE SEASON IN UPSET FASHION EDGING THE SOONERS 31-28

(AP) Norman, OK - Head Coach Eddie Polly just took it all in as his Warhawks ran unto Owen Field to play the #13 ranked Oklahoma Sooners. "During the game you dont realize how big of a moment this is for yourself and your team, so I took a minute to sit back and enjoy the 90 or thousand fans and took a deep breath." Said the first year Head Coach.
On other hand it was Warhawks that perhaps had more confidence than the coach as they jumped out to a 14-0 lead over the Sooners leaving the fans in total shock after back to back Cameron Porter touchdown runs.
"We were in these type of environments last year playing Arkansas and Auburn so I felt we could handle it as an experienced team." quarterback Jonathon Mansfield said.
The Sooners started to gain composure and control, quarterback Alex Cummings used both his legs and arm to get the Sooners on the board and just before halftime the Sooners looked to tie the game up at 14.
Thats when cornerback C. Clayton grabbed his first of two huge interceptions picking Cumming off in the end zone before sprinting 90 yards the other way and finally getting tackled at the Sooners 10 with 10 seconds remaining in the half. A R. Moore 22 yard field goal saw the Warhawks up 17-7 at halftime.

"We were a confident bunch at the half." Said Polly, "it seemed like one of those upset days as we were hearing scores from other games around the league."

The Warhawks were too confident and the size and depth help OU gain a 21-17 lead early in the fourth quarter after Alex Cummings found receiver L. Johnson for a 38 yard touchdown on 3rd and 12. Owen field was rocking. Th Sooners dominated the third quarter forcing the Warhawks into three straight three and outs and the crowd helped in causing three false start penalties. The play of the game came on the games next kickoff however by Warhawks RS Freshmen Jim White, who fumbled the previous kickoff. He made up for it when he made one cut to the left and out ran the whole Oklahoma team 104 yards for a touchdown. White was so emotional after his first ever kickoff return that cameras could see him on the sidelines in tears as his teammates mobbed him.
"Huge, very HUGE!!!!" echoed Polly. "Just as they regained momentum and the woke the crowd up, White makes the biggest play of the game."

His Warhawks would survive a interception and finally preserve the win after Clayton picked off Cummings for the second time in the game with a minute and thirty seconds left.

The Warhawks brought a balanced attack gaining 381 yards of offense while going 6 for 8 on third downs. Mansfield was 15 of 21 and no touchdowns while throwing a interception. He had thrown two but the second was nullified after a roughing the passer penalty.
Porter got into the end zone three times while rushing for 104 yards on 26 carries. Middle linebacker Kyle Stanley registered 8 tackles while Clayton grabbed both of the teams interceptions.
Next up is the home opener against FCS Southeast.

Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks at Oklahoma Sooners
Jan 1, 1ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks (1-0)71001431
#13 Oklahoma Sooners (0-1)0771428
Team Stats Comparison

ULMOKLA
Total Offense381401
Rushing Yards10588
Passing Yards276313
First Downs1822
Turnovers12
3rd Down Converstion6-80-2
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals5-3-15-4
Penalties3-376-68
Posession Time15:528:08
Oklahoma Sooners
Key Stats UL Monroe:
WR C. Preston 5 rec 100 yards
WR C. Richardson 4 rec 94 yards
WR C. Webb 3 rec 64 yards

• Oklahoma's WR Andrew Ford held to just 1 rec for 6 yards both interceptions were on him
  • Of Oklahoma's six penalties four were on third downs keeping the drives alive for UL Monroe, One roughing the passer happened after a UL Monroe thrown interception.
  • UL Monroe controlled the clock doubling OU's out put
  • Sooners have not lost a season home opener since losing to TCU in the early 2000's
  • UL Monroe has won back to back season openers on the road against top 15 teams

Last edited by gorillapittpray; 07-21-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
MVP

Gronk4M13's Arena

OVR: 18

Great writeup and good upset win.

Yankees: #AllRise
Old 07-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #14
MVP

AROUND THE NATION

#9 CLEMSON EDGES #5 GEORGIA IN BACK AND FORTH AFFAIR 37-35

TOP STORIES FOR WEEK 1
  • #13 SOONERS UPSET ON KICKOFF WEEKEND
  • SCORE TELLS A DIFFERENT TALE AS LSU DOMINATES TCU 34-27 AT COWBOY STADIUM
  • IT WAS JUST BUFFALO, BUT BUCKEYES DO ALL QUARTERBACK DAVID WILLIAMS SHINES IN BLOWOUT VICTORY
  • IT TOOK EXTRA TIME FOR GAMECOCKS TO OUT DUE TAR HEELS 41-38 IN OT
  • MICHIGAN STATE HAS SET BACK, HISTORIC LOSS TO WESTERN MICHIGAN
  • HUSKIES ROLL BOISE 38-14
TOP 25
ALABAMA
OHIO STATE
STANFORD
TEXAS AM
OREGON
CLEMSON
NOTRE DAME
SOUTH CAROLINA
FLORIDA
LOUISVILLE
LSU
GEORGIA
FLORIDA STATE
TEXAS
MICHIGAN
UCLA
KANSAS STATE
NEBRASKA
OREGON STATE
WASHINGTON
TCU
OLE MISS
OKLAHOMA
ARIZONA STATE
MISSISSIPPI STATE

WEEK 2 GAMES OF THE WEEK
  • #7 NOTRE DAME AT #15 MICHIGAN
  • #8 SOUTH CAROLINA AT #12 GEORGIA
  • #9 FLORIDA AT MIAMI

Old 07-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #15
YaBoyRobRoy

LopaKa's Arena

OVR: 7

what a crazy way to start the season! great job with this so far
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2013, 01:06 AM   #16
MVP

STOMPIN' GROUNDS!!
UL MONROE IS CONFIDENT HEADING INTO THEIR HOME OPENER AFTER WINNING AT OKLAHOMA

(JUNIOR DEFENSIVE BACK COREY CLAYTON GRABS HIS SECOND INTERCEPTION OF THE GAME TO SEAL THE VICTORY FOR THE WARHAWKS)

MONROE, LA - With all the talk of this explosive high powered Warhawk offense, it turned out to be the defense's plays to help preserve a season opening upset win over the then #13 ranked Oklahoma Sooners.
If you read into stats then youll believe that OU's Alex Cummings picked apart this secondary. He was 26-30 for 313 yards and two touchdown passes. But if you watched the game you'd see why not to beleive it.
"We played a lot of over the top coverage" Clayton said after the teams practice Tuesday afternoon. "We allowed him to take everything underneath and he did it, we were not gonna give up the long ball to those guys."
Clayton and the rest of the defense used the new 4-2-5 scheme showing zone blitzes and different movements to force OU underneath and his bend but dont break style came up with three critical plays that helped turn the game and get the win. The key is can they now carry that momentum over against a FCS school next weekend. Head coach Eddie Polly addressed how he feels his team did as well as the challenges of playing a FCS team this weekend.

Opening Statement...
ON THE BUZZ AROUND CAMPUS
Obviously, it's been a busy last few days. We're still very excited about what happened. I'm not going to say I'm surprised, either. I've said multiple times I like the chemistry of this team. I've had several questions over the last few days about what this means for the program. I think it was a little bit of a culminating event. I think a lot of the things that we've been talking to our players about came to fruition this last Saturday.
There is a lot of work still to be done. I think we mitigated a lot of those first game issues-penalties, turnovers, etc.-that generally plague you the first game, and I'm thankful for that. We still have significant work to do. There were still some mistakes that were pretty costly in the game. Not a lot of mental errors, but some technical errors that we will be working on getting corrected.
I'm happy for our players. They worked so hard to get the reception that they had after the game in Norman and the reception we had when we got back. Those are special moments for the players. These guys have four to five years to live a dream. It's our job as coaches to make sure some of those special moments happen for them.

ON PREPARATION AFTER A BIG WIN
I told the players on Sunday that we have to come back down to Earth. On the practice field, there was a white sheet, and on that sheet we had written 'Cloud Nine'. I wanted the team to jump off of cloud nine as we walked off the practice field so that we could come back to reality. (CHUCKLE IN THE ROOM)
The reality is that we don't have a team full of Heisman Trophy winners, but we're not devoid of talent, either. In all the conversations I've had over the last few days, you have the ones that maybe saw bits and pieced of the game and said "You know, you played with these guys and it was a fluke." The others say, "How does it feel to beat Oklahoma when you are just ULM?" I certainly don't look at our team as just ULM, and that can't happen. I think we played well, and I think we can continue to play well.
We need to recognize and understand who we are. As I told the players on Sunday, it has to happen this week at practice. You have to be the same person that you were last week. That's the guy that gives us opportunities to win. I think if you get caught up in all the distractions that are part of the big wins, then you're not going to be the guy that will allow us to win. That's going to be the real challenge for us now. I can tell you I'm still the same guy and the staff is all the same people, and our players will be the same people. I think they recognize why we have success and why we had success on Saturday.
We dont know much about FCS Southeast but we will prepare against them like their the number 1 team in the country.

AROUND THE SUN BELT
  • Western Kentucky got the upset bid over Kentucky 21-17
  • Cedric Edwards grabbed 4 interceptions returning one helping the Trojans beat UAB
  • Texas State and UL Lafayette came up short with losses while Georgia State and South Alabama got wins over FCS schools
  • Player of the week honors went to Troy's Cedrick Edwards who also garnered National player of the week honors for his four interception performance. Tight End Jeremy Brooks hauled in 7 rec for 128 yards and 3 touchdowns helping him get offensive player of the week.

Matchup Preview | September 7, 2013
@
Grambling State Tigers
(--, Away)

(1-0, Home)
AT MALONE STADIUM
HOME OPENER!
UL Monroe comes home for its home opener against FCS Southeast. It will be a challenge to see how this team comes out the gates after an emotional win last week against the Oklahoma Sooners. FCS schools have given division ones schools tough games and hopes to continue that trend this weekend.

Offensively it will be key for quarterback Jonathon Mansfield to have a big day. He play average against Oklahoma throing one interception and no touchdowns. He was however smart with the ball helping the Warhawks get 6-8 on third downs. His targets are plentiful. Corey Preston came out of the Oklahoma game as his sure number 1 receiver hauling in five receptions for 100 yards. Fellow receiver Conner Richardson wasnt far behind with 94 yards on four receptions. The Warhawks know they can run the football and that was evident watching Cameron Porter last week. Expect this offense to open up the pass a bit more and take shots to the end zone to build confidence and get the season opening crowd into the game.

Defensively its simple. Keep doing what their doing. Right now they are playing confident even tho its just been one week. They slowed down one of the nations top offenses and help a All Big 12 receiver to just one catch for 6 yards. Expect this defense however to be a little more aggressive as they slowly add in new schemes with this 4-2-5 scheme.

Should be a good one, UL Monroe in a route

Last edited by gorillapittpray; 07-21-2013 at 02:59 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »